Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
dodgy builder
#26 Old 6th Jun 2017 at 3:30 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 6th Jun 2017 at 3:41 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Vincent T.
I would think that the settings for the png are not correct. It needs to be a specific bit-depth (16-bit greyscale). It also needs to be compressed to full (background) layer, not just "a" layer in photoshop. EA heightmaps don't use the Adobe colour scheme (at least that's what Photoshop tells me if I open an EA height map there). So use the embedded colour scheme. Did you start with an EA height map to which you imported your map?

Also, RL maps often are way too detailed for CAW, they look more like a seismograph's output during an earthquake if you import them into caw.

Photoshop asks me if I like to keep the original docs settings. I know it looks horrific, it's the same in cities skylines. I saw a tutorial yesterday about how to make a grayscale map from scratch. I'm itching to try it out. A bit useless if I can't make it work.

The guy in the tutorial also said something about colors on a grayscale. I have to check that out. He used 4 x 30 minutes on the subject, but I forgive him because the time was used on the things that matter.

I suspect it had something to do with cmyk as opposed to rbg colors. I was making a pizza as well.
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#27 Old 7th Jun 2017 at 11:20 AM
I don't know what the reason was, but I just used the original map, made my Bergen map on top of it with an edge mask and a blur filter on it to remove some of the edges. Now it looks like this in caw.

I can't zoom out anymore than this or the map disappears.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 7th Jun 2017 at 3:45 PM
Well, at least it's the right size. Hope you pizza turned out more perfect I find RL data rather difficult for CAW.
dodgy builder
#29 Old 7th Jun 2017 at 9:41 PM
Well, at least it's the right size. Hope you pizza turned out more perfect I find RL data rather difficult for CAW.

This is just to save you having to come up with a design. The rest is up to you.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#30 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 6:04 PM
So, I tried this.

For time saving reasons I used a height map found on the internet.
Opened a premade EA height map, imported custom height map. saved as 16-bit png, with changed size 1536x1536. Created new world in caw with this png as heightmap, world height 300. Added some objects and a lot, did some basic photoshop painting.
Added pic, name and description.
Saving went fine.
Exported, loaded in game - looks good!

So, I would think as long as you stick with Richdre's finds in auntielynds post (i.e. use multiples of 256 for world size) it should work fine. Chunk size is 256, so this makes perfect sense.
And as some EA worlds use 1536, too, I don't think that there would be game breaking issues with it.

[edit] And for science sake , I used the same map, resized it to 768x768. Same result (only smaller). Seems to be working! Of course, I just let the game clock run for a short time. Proper testing would require a fully built town of course, but I'm afraid I don't have time for that

That world you did looks great! Yeah i am gonna stick with Richdre's finds in auntielynds post as 1536 fits my needs perfectly!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#31 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 6:20 PM
As well as making a custom sized terrain map, you can also make a custom height using SuperCAW:
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 10:12 PM Last edited by Anno2015 : 18th Jul 2017 at 5:14 PM.
Map size should be 256x256 or multiples thereof (512x512, 1024x1024, 1280x1280, 1536x1536; 1792x1792). I personally wouldn't make it larger, for performance reasons alone. Not sure if there would be technical issues with it.

Did you test other sizes (1000x1000 as example)? I know for sure I made a 1600x1600 map once but don't know if I installed it in Sims after creation in CAW... And although I agree with preformance issues on a PC/Laptop, I myself can use a work server with 128GB Ram capacity when my employees are at home (in the evening = the time I play most of the time) -> this post got me triggered to try 4096x4096 soon = will report later ->
tried to open a 4096x4096 and got this messege

Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
This is just to save you having to come up with a design. The rest is up to you.

So true and the possibilities are endless:
A complete worldmap as Vacation Map Dubai style (could choose for PalmIsland as wel; perfect flatcolor logo images from their own promotion

Or building a modern Atlantis for vacation:

RL maps can be found online on several places and as mentioned above: most of the time you need to smooth the complete map -> comes back to the scale; I agree that 1px = 1m wont be real... but exact I couldn't tell you.. So you can bring this back to a lot (64x64 = 64mx64m) if that is correct (and seems so to me) than it's indeed 1px=1m (31 lots of 64x64 in a row on a 2048x2048 map seems correct...

That means that the used Bergen map (been there once and wont be correct on the cm is way to large for a good scaled map (the area used comes closer to 8192x8192 or 10240x10240 to become realistic, maybe that makes a smoother map by itself but a 2px blur in PS does a lot as wel (and keeps you from smoothning the whole map I can be wrong since the complete map isn't visible good (can't even figure out where the bergen harbour is) but the bodies of water gives me that indication... Scaling to the right size will be important for the best result
Page 2 of 2