Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Aug 2019 at 7:30 PM Last edited by vegan_kaktus : 11th Aug 2019 at 3:52 PM.
Default Problem with default replacement of hair
I've created default replacements before (only textures though, that's literally all I can do lol) but now I wanted to challenge myself and default a hair with a new mesh, and well, it ain't going that well (sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section)

I followed this tutorial, and thought all was good until I was done and checked in bodyshop to see this horror:

and umm.. I'm not too sure what I've done wrong? The EA hair I'm trying to default is fhairhighponytail_blond with Skysims hair 204 (but textures I've exported from here). The only part I remember being unsure about in the tutorial starts right after " numoverrides (dtUInteger):This shows the amount of groups your mesh has. Change this value to the amount of groups your mesh has, in this case it's the same, 0x00000002. " all these numbers confused me so if I did something wrong anywhere, I think it will be there.

Skysims hair 204 has two groups, "hair_txmt" and "hair_alpha5_txmt" as seen below: (if I'm looking at the right place?)

and the original EA hair has 6 groups, so I jumped past the things the tutorial showed if the mesh had more groups than the EA one.

" override0subset (dtUInteger):This shows the names of your groups. Change them to match the the names of the groups of the new mesh. Commit. "

The only thing I changed here, are the sentences outlined in red. Idk what I have done wrong should I delete the other subsets not in use? Change their number? Name? If anyone wants to take a look at my file, just let me know and I'll upload it for you.

I'm sorry for my gibberish! I'm never defaulting a hair mesh again lol
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 6th Aug 2019 at 2:13 PM
Quote:
I jumped past the things the tutorial showed if the mesh had more groups than the EA one

What this looks like, is the mesh still looking for the other two texture layers (alpha7 and alpha9) and pulling stuff from who-knows-where. Very, very few hairs, Maxis or otherwise, have only one texture layer. You could try duplicating the "alpha5" layers as "alpha7" and "alpha9" and see if that fixes the problem. (I've done a little work with retexturing, and you really have to fix all the layers for it to turn out right.)
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 11th Aug 2019 at 1:25 AM
@vegan_kaktus : Have you tried removing the extra mesh groups from the property set? Whenever I default I've just removed the layers I'm not using and it's always worked for me. I'm not sure if that makes much sense, but I've attached a picture showing what I mean using the example you gave.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Aug 2019 at 3:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
What this looks like, is the mesh still looking for the other two texture layers (alpha7 and alpha9) and pulling stuff from who-knows-where. Very, very few hairs, Maxis or otherwise, have only one texture layer. You could try duplicating the "alpha5" layers as "alpha7" and "alpha9" and see if that fixes the problem. (I've done a little work with retexturing, and you really have to fix all the layers for it to turn out right.)

Thank you for your help! I never got to try this but thank you for trying to help :-D

Quote: Originally posted by pinkdynamite
@vegan_kaktus : Have you tried removing the extra mesh groups from the property set? Whenever I default I've just removed the layers I'm not using and it's always worked for me. I'm not sure if that makes much sense, but I've attached a picture showing what I mean using the example you gave.

Thank YOU! This fixed it, thankyouthankyouthankyou :lovestruc