Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 6:25 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Simpe 0 73 44 qa
So, I'm trying to figure out simpe. But I'm not getting anywhere. SimsMelissa has shown the patience of a saint, and Maxon has been great, but I still can't even make it recognize my game. Here's where I am right now. Still at the beginning. I'm trying to make the the program find all my expansions, but it won't do it. SimsMelissa found me a thread where most of them are listed, but there isn't anything about Mansions and Gardens, even though it says it's taken straight from where someone else put them in. Maxon listed them out for me, but when I try to paste her strings on there, the text disappears when I move to the next line.

Can someone help me, or should I give up because I'm clearly too stupid to do this. I don't know what I was thinking.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 6:31 PM
You use the UC? Aaroneus made a fix for that here: http://simmanipulator.forumotion.co...mate-collection
There are installing instructions in that page, so read them.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 6:51 PM
That depends. The problem with a lot of these 3rd party fixers is that the coders are no longer with us. Folks around may be familiar with it and helpful but there's only so much they can do. If uninstall/reinstall doesn't work then I typically look for another more timely (albeit less desirable) solution. It is frustrating but I refuse to believe anyone is too stupid to figure out anything given enough time and resources. Make your luck as best you can.

Kidney stones are never round pebbles... they are more like jagged stalactites.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 8:12 PM Last edited by maxon : 19th Sep 2017 at 8:27 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
Maxon listed them out for me, but when I try to paste her strings on there, the text disappears when I move to the next line.

Well bugger - if you click the little browse box and navigate to the actual location and click on that, does it still disappear? It will take a bit longer but you might get there.

Edit: pictures

Quote: Originally posted by velvetina
You use the UC? Aaroneus made a fix for that here: http://simmanipulator.forumotion.co...mate-collection
There are installing instructions in that page, so read them.

That shows the installation locations and is useful but that's for the installed version of SimPE. Smorbie isn't using that version, she's using the zipped standalone version.
Screenshots

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Sep 2017 at 5:21 PM Last edited by smorbie1 : 20th Sep 2017 at 7:57 PM.
THANKS, Maxon, Let's see how far this gets me. BRB (I fear)

EDIT: Back again. Thanks, Maxon, I was able to figure out how to do that with all your help. But, I still can't get it to pass the darn check. This time I wrote down what it says. Unable to locate CProgramfiles(X86)\origin games The Sims Ultimate Collection\Double deluxe\TSbin\sims2.exe.

So, I used the three dot thing to try to navigate to that spot. But the problem is double deluxe opens to Base, which opens to TS data. Under that is control, res, and sys. The only one of those that can be opened is Res. When I open it I get a long list, catalog, config, cs config, effects, and a bunch of others, but nothing that is labeled TSbin.

So, does anyone know how to find those files and get the program to recognize them?

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Forum Resident
#6 Old 20th Sep 2017 at 11:23 PM
For those in the know ... will anything on this page be helpful for Smorbie1?
http://modthesims.info/t/529706
There is a mention of a "fix" as above.
Plus another comment about manually placing the location of Mansion & Gardens.
And yet another by Huge Lunatic about a possible issue with the TM symbol.

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 21st Sep 2017 at 12:32 AM
Does Origin give you a desktop icon which you can use to launch the game? If so, right-click on it and select Open File Location - you should get the location of the exe from that.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 21st Sep 2017 at 8:05 AM
You have to use "dummy" exefiles to fake SimPE to "believe" that the exe-files exists. You can find such files in the link in velvetina's post. ( http://simmanipulator.forumotion.co...mate-collection )

Follow these steps:

1. Download SimPE Fix for The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection.zip from http://simmanipulator.forumotion.co...mate-collection

2. Unzip it anywhere e.g. on your Desktop.

3, Open the unzipped folder = SimPE Fix for The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection

4. Open the second (new) folder SimPE Fix for The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection

5. Copy DummyExeForSims2UC.zip to your C:\Program Files(x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection folder

6. Navigate to C:\Program Files(x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection

7. Unzip/extract DummyExeForSims2UC.zip. Perhaps you will be warned that directories are overwritten. This will not happen, as the files does not exist yet there. So you can safely confirm and let it go.

8. Check that there are TSBin-folders in each EP/SP-folder

9. Delete DummyExeForSims2UC.zip

10. Open SimPE and select Extra/Preferences

11. Open File Table click reset and after that Reload

12. Run System Check! If the check pass start using SimPE !

Good Luck!
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 21st Sep 2017 at 8:22 AM
@clsve - Invaluable info! This really helps out us Ultimate Collection simmers!! Cheers!

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 21st Sep 2017 at 11:46 AM
That's really weird, my SimPE has never complained about missing exes...

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 21st Sep 2017 at 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=clsve]You have to use "dummy" exefiles to fake SimPE to "believe" that the exe-files exists. You can find such files in the link in velvetina's post. ( http://simmanipulator.forumotion.co...mate-collection )

THANKS! i'll try the steps, but couldn't read the post because the DNS couldn't be located when I hit the link.

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#12 Old 21st Sep 2017 at 1:04 PM
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 22nd Sep 2017 at 12:05 AM
Okay, I downloaded the fix. There was no zip file, no exe file, nothing to extract. It was just a bunch of code, which I can't read.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<registry>
<key name="Expansions">

<!-- Information about the base Game -->
<key name="BaseGame">
<int name="Version">0</int>
<string name="RegKey">Software\EA Games\The Sims 2</string>
<int name="Flag">0</int>
<!-- Flag is a BitMask defining SimPE's behaviour if the given EP was found:
Bit 0: Is an ExpansionPack
Bit 1: Is a StuffPack (aka MiniExpansion)
Bit 2: Comes with a Lua Folder
Bit 3: Load additional W&F Texts from this Expansion (BaseGame is allways loaded!!)
Bit 4: Sim Story
Bit 5: Objects.package does only contain additional objects
Bit 6: Neighborhoods folder contains profiles.ini
-->
<string name="ExeName">Sims2.exe</string>
<int name="Group">1</int>
<cilist name="SaveGameLocationsForGroup">
<string name="0">{UserSaveGame}</string>
</cilist>
<string name="namelistnr"> 1</string>
<key name="en">
<string name="short">Original</string>
<string name="long">The Sims 2</string>
</key>
<key name="de">
<string name="long">Die Sims 2</string>
</key>
</key>

<!-- Information about University -->
<key name="University">
<int name="Version">1</int>
<cilist name="RegKey">
<string name="0">Software\\EA Games\\The Sims 2 University</string>
<string name="1">Software\\Maxis\\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection</string>
</cilist>
<int name="Flag">9</int><!-- 00001001 -->
<string name="ExeName">Sims2EP1.exe</string>
<cilist name="SimNameDeepSearch">
<string name="0">TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate\U001\Characters\</string>
<string name="1">TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate\U002\Characters\</string>
<string name="2">TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate\U003\Characters\</string>
</cilist>
<!-- SimNameDeepSearch: This is a list of additional Folders (in the EP's Folder), SimPE is using when it performs a 'Deep Search' for SimDescriptions-->
<key name="en">
<string name="long">The Sims 2 - University</string>
</key>
<key name="de">
<string name="short">Campus</string>
<string name="name">Wilde Campus Jahre</string>
<string name="long">Die Sims 2 - Wilde Campus Jahre</string>
</key>
</key>

HL - I tried to run SimPE while the game was running when I first got it. It wouldn't open. I'll try it the other way and see.

Lab Assistant
#14 Old 22nd Sep 2017 at 4:17 AM
I've been trudging through this as well.
To get SimPE to load EPs & SPs function and pass the SimPE System Check with green checkmarks there are a number of things that need to occur. I opted to just update the path changes myself instead of using Aaroneous' files.
Following along with Nysha while referring to the paths Aaroneous provided. I printed all that out so I didn't have to juggle browser tabs/scroll/etc.
I also noticed that SimPE wanted NVidia DDS Utilities.. Even if I never use the functionality, it would be nice to at least have the options available by installing NVidia DDS Utilities plug-in for SimPE. You can download the tools (plug-in is included after you've installed it) directly from nVidia here: DDS Utilities 8.31 ... After you've downloaded that .exe, double click it to install it then go back into SimPE and tell it where to find the plug-in. For me (as I'm on Windows 7) the path to the executable plug-in that SimPE wanted was C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\DDS Utilities\nvdxt.exe .
Lastly, or maybe firstly, There's the matter of SimPE wanting a direct path to sims2.exe.
The question I have is can I just point SimPE to Sims2EP9.exe located (for me on Win7) here?:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe
OR is it necessary to create dummy directories/etc. as sigi advises in this zipped download?

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 22nd Sep 2017 at 4:19 AM
I have the tools. That's not the problem.

You guys have been so sweet to try to walk me through this. I had no idea it would be this hard, and I haven't even started yet.

Lab Assistant
#16 Old 22nd Sep 2017 at 5:19 AM
Some of us (definitely myself) going through the process too. Bottomline: If you need to use particular tools (SimPE) for Sims 2 Ultimate Collection then you'll need to devote some time tweaking it - especially as the original coders of these software tools are no longer with us. And you're not alone. I haven't started playing yet either... but tonight I may get lucky and be able to create my garbage patch sims. Cheers!

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#17 Old 22nd Sep 2017 at 12:01 PM
You don't have to have DDS Utilities - it's useful, very useful, if you're making stuff with textures, otherwise you don't need it.

Mad Poster
#18 Old 22nd Sep 2017 at 12:34 PM
Okay, I downloaded the fix. There was no zip file, no exe file, nothing to extract. It was just a bunch of code, which I can't read.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<registry>
<key name="Expansions">

<!-- Information about the base Game -->
<key name="BaseGame">
<int name="Version">0</int>
<string name="RegKey">Software\EA Games\The Sims 2</string>
<int name="Flag">0</int>
<!-- Flag is a BitMask defining SimPE's behaviour if the given EP was found:
Bit 0: Is an ExpansionPack
Bit 1: Is a StuffPack (aka MiniExpansion)
Bit 2: Comes with a Lua Folder
Bit 3: Load additional W&F Texts from this Expansion (BaseGame is allways loaded!!)
Bit 4: Sim Story
Bit 5: Objects.package does only contain additional objects
Bit 6: Neighborhoods folder contains profiles.ini
-->
<string name="ExeName">Sims2.exe</string>
<cilist name="SaveGameLocationsForGroup">
<string name="0">{UserSaveGame}</string>
</cilist>
<key name="en">
<string name="long">The Sims 2</string>
</key>
<key name="de">
<string name="long">Die Sims 2</string>
</key>
</key>

<!-- Information about University -->
<key name="University">
<int name="Version">1</int>
<cilist name="RegKey">
<string name="0">Software\\EA Games\\The Sims 2 University</string>
<string name="1">Software\\Maxis\\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection</string>
</cilist>
<int name="Flag">9</int><!-- 00001001 -->
<string name="ExeName">Sims2EP1.exe</string>
<cilist name="SimNameDeepSearch">
<string name="0">TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate\U001\Characters\</string>
<string name="1">TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate\U002\Characters\</string>
<string name="2">TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate\U003\Characters\</string>
</cilist>
<!-- SimNameDeepSearch: This is a list of additional Folders (in the EP's Folder), SimPE is using when it performs a 'Deep Search' for SimDescriptions-->
<key name="en">
<string name="long">The Sims 2 - University</string>
</key>
<key name="de">
<string name="short">Campus</string>
<string name="name">Wilde Campus Jahre</string>
<string name="long">Die Sims 2 - Wilde Campus Jahre</string>
</key>
</key>

HL - I tried to run SimPE while the game was running when I first got it. It wouldn't open. I'll try it the other way and see.

Hi, not being an expert and I did it a long time ago, but I believe the docs (and I think there are 2 of them) in the fix have to replace those in SimPE - see if you can find anything with the same name. (The three times I used SimPE, it did find my UC without problems). Try download from here: http://seri-plays.tumblr.com/post/9...-2-uc-simpe-fix
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 22nd Sep 2017 at 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
You don't have to have DDS Utilities - it's useful, very useful, if you're making stuff with textures, otherwise you don't need it.

I may need it.. I found a neat AF dress that has a vertical, like zipper part on the open back which is really weird. I'm guessing the mesh has an extra, unintended piece there. And the recolour makes it white so it really stands out. I'm sure I can read through some SimPE tutorials and kinda wing it but it looks to be more than just recolour. I tried editing spots of the .bmp and reloading the dress as a sloppy partial recolour into Body Shop but it still sticks out.

Forum Resident
#20 Old 22nd Sep 2017 at 9:48 PM Last edited by SIMelissa : 22nd Sep 2017 at 9:59 PM.
I have the tools. That's not the problem.
You guys have been so sweet to try to walk me through this. I had no idea it would be this hard, and I haven't even started yet.

Hang in there! You'll get it. And now that you know that it was a pain for many who use the UC, you know the problem is NOT you! It's the programs that need to be tweaked, massaged and manipulated to work nicely with each other. You can do this!

As for the file downloaded, ExpansionsXReg, it appears that it will go into your DATA folder, replacing a file by the same name:
From Aaroneous: "This file just strictly detects what games are installed nothing more . . . To update SimPe’s file go to it’s install folder then to the Data folder, In the Data folder there should be a file called expansions.xreg. I would first back up the original file then place my edited file in the same directory. After that SimPE should detect that the expansions are installed."

But I'm wondering if this part is necessary since you've already put those EP & SP paths in manually. It sounds like what SimPE is looking for is the exe file. Someone up above--sorry, I forget who--gave a link to this download: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...p?topic=23081.0
I downloaded it and took a look. It appears to have an XReg file (as above from Aaroneous) plus a dummy exe path file. Maybe it's that last one that you need. Sigi writes, "The DummyExe...zip goes in the Game-Installation Folder where it has to be extracted."

Also, don't try to load your neighborhood in SimPE while your Sims game is running. I tried that once. If I remember correctly, it threw a bunch of errors that took forever to click out of.

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#21 Old 22nd Sep 2017 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by swillfly
I may need it.. I found a neat AF dress that has a vertical, like zipper part on the open back which is really weird. I'm guessing the mesh has an extra, unintended piece there. And the recolour makes it white so it really stands out. I'm sure I can read through some SimPE tutorials and kinda wing it but it looks to be more than just recolour. I tried editing spots of the .bmp and reloading the dress as a sloppy partial recolour into Body Shop but it still sticks out.

Actually, one of the basic skin mesh tutorials on here deals with that 'zipper' since it was an EAxis error and everybody hates it. There's also likely to be a default mesh replacement somewhere I'm sure.

Lab Assistant
#22 Old 22nd Sep 2017 at 10:31 PM Last edited by swillfly : 22nd Sep 2017 at 11:55 PM.
Thx maxon.. I'll try finding it and check it out! (Edit: looks exactly like this "dangly thing" on the back #12-#16 here.. Looks like milkshape (*pay* trialware 30days).. I guess whomever forgot to remove it for this dress. Found it dangly thing) Found some old SimPE tutorials using the WaybackMachine in case anybody wants them... uploaded them here.