Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th May 2017 at 12:52 AM
Default new alpha hair mesh not replacing old
I don't have this problem with clay hair, nor do I have it with any other type of item. but if I export a mesh from sims4studio, edit it, and try to import it back in, the old mesh is still there; the new mesh OVERLAPS it. I can't figure out why this happens, and it's super frustrating. is there anyone here who uses S4S that knows why this is happening?
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 24th May 2017 at 10:10 PM
Sorry, can't help, but have you asked at the S4S forum?

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Banned
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th May 2017 at 3:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Sorry, can't help, but have you asked at the S4S forum?

they banned me for asking why I got "script failed" messages when placing certain furniture.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 25th May 2017 at 9:37 PM
I found this S4S thread that talks about setting the mesh type and cut numbers - possibly one or more of these settings is incorrect: http://sims4studio.com/thread/4678/import-mesh At the end of the first page there's someone with what sounds like the same problem.

You could also try using CAS Tools to remove the mesh you don't want.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Banned
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th May 2017 at 10:32 PM
like I said, I can't go onto s4s. the very first time I asked a question, I asked about the alpha hair, and they basically just said, "you did it wrong." no one actually helped me. this went on with most of my questions until I asked about a "script failed" message, and they banned me. I can't view the forum.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#6 Old 25th May 2017 at 11:26 PM
Did you try? I can see the thread without being logged on to the S4S forums so it's open to the public and you should be able to see it. If you think you're still logged in to S4S and they're keeping you out, try a different browser. If you still can't see the thread for some reason, just check that the cut numbers are the same as the hair you're importing over and that the mesh type is GEOM. that's what the thread says. I've never used Studio so that's all I can suggest except to repeat you could try CAS Tools.

Banned
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th May 2017 at 11:17 PM
I'm not blocked, I'm banned. they banned my IP address, I literally cannot view the forum. it's stupid and it makes me angry. they are so rude, the moderators started harassing me for asking that question. I made a new account to try and ask a moderator why my account got closed, but I couldn't figure out how to private message, and next thing I know, I can't SEE the forum itself, just a message that says, "you've been banned from this forum." anyway, thank for you trying to help me, i'll try double checking the cut numbers
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#8 Old 28th May 2017 at 12:12 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 28th May 2017 at 8:22 PM.
I see - apparently they didn't like you asking for help with mods you got elsewhere. To be fair I can't tell if there was any other interaction later. From my own experiences, it doesn't surprise me terribly that they acted that way.

Banned
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Jun 2017 at 1:12 AM
it sure surprised me, I thought moderators were supposed to be professional.

anyway, I tried cutting the numbers, and it didn't do anything. I even cut them a bunch of times. nothing. it's so frustrating, and I can't find ANY answers!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#10 Old 5th Jun 2017 at 9:34 AM
If you upload your package I'll see if I can fix it.

Banned
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Jun 2017 at 11:22 PM
okay, I'm gonna give you the package with the original hair mesh, and then the blender file with the edited mesh. if you import the edited one, you'll be able to fully see what I mean.

package: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alg_w_piyWUqfS4sswasoFVaimo

blender file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alg_w_piyWUqfMeuGZt0pRz3NaE
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#12 Old 6th Jun 2017 at 12:25 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 6th Jun 2017 at 10:07 PM.
I don't use Blender, or Studio so I can't import it to a package, so I can't use the Blender file. Please upload the package after you've imported the modified meshes and I'll see if I can remove the original meshes and get it working correctly.

Banned
Original Poster
#13 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 2:24 AM
sorry, here's the package: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alg_w_piyWUqgQBn1csAMNXdSxyp

here's a picture of the original and edited meshes: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Alg_w_piyWUqgQNRpQVmrix9Xc9y

the one on the left is the original, and the one on the right is the one I modified. I changed the UVs to suit my texture (putting the pink in the front instead of the back), and slightly altered the shape. however, even if I don't change the UVs and only alter the shape, it does the same thing.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#14 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 1:15 PM
There's no extra or overlapping meshes in this package, just the full (no hat) hair and the two hat cuts which you've reduced to just the scalp. Maybe you're talking about the black, blocky ends of the hair? That's because you need to change the mesh shader to SimGlass for transparency and you need to modify the parts of the hair texture that should be transparent - the parts that are now black should have a transparent alpha. You should be able to select the black parts and erase them.

That's LOD0; the other LODs are still the original hair and I assume you just haven't gotten that far yet.

I think Studio doesn't preview alpha hair with transparency so you may see flesh colored ends of the hair instead of black in their previewer.

Banned
Original Poster
#15 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 12:56 AM
There's no extra or overlapping meshes in this package, just the full (no hat) hair and the two hat cuts which you've reduced to just the scalp. Maybe you're talking about the black, blocky ends of the hair? That's because you need to change the mesh shader to SimGlass for transparency and you need to modify the parts of the hair texture that should be transparent - the parts that are now black should have a transparent alpha. You should be able to select the black parts and erase them.

That's LOD0; the other LODs are still the original hair and I assume you just haven't gotten that far yet.

I think Studio doesn't preview alpha hair with transparency so you may see flesh colored ends of the hair instead of black in their previewer.

no, that's not what I'm talking about. I know how alpha hair works. I haven't changed any of the LODs yet, and the hat cuts are the originals. i'll try to explain this again. in S4S, I have the rig with the original mesh on the head. I export it and change some UV placements and overall shape. then I import it into S4S with the intention of replacing the original mesh, but instead, the original mesh is on the head AND the new mesh is on the head, clipping through it. I saved the package after importing the new mesh, which is, again, clipping through the old one. that's why I provided pictures of what each hair looks like. I'm really not sure how I can be more clear on what the issue is.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#16 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 9:01 AM
Here's a preview of the hair in your package in CAS Tools and it's clearly not the same as either of your pics so they're not much help:

Did you send the right package? If there are two meshes combined into one, I can't tell which is which. In Milkshape I can use the UV to separate out part of the mesh - is that what you're talking about? Probably not.

Screenshots

Banned
Original Poster
#17 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 12:48 AM
I THOUGHT I sent the right one, it should've been called dracohair.package. it looks like I sent you dante's hair... that's a whole different project which, ironically, DOES replace clay hair. argh, okay... THIS should be the right one...

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alg_w_piyWUqgQRvZWVdxjaWlheD

god, I feel like a dumb*** for wasting your time like that
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#18 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 9:41 PM
LOL, don't worry about it.

This is what it's supposed to look like, right?

The modified mesh is in one of the hat cuts. Most likely when you imported from Blender the mesh cut numbers weren't correct and it didn't get imported to the right part(s). What I did using CAS Tools was to export the correct mesh as a TS4 mesh and then import it to the full hair and the other hat cut. I don't know if that's exactly what you want. If you want just a scalp for the two hat cuts I can remove those meshes.

Modified package attached. Let me know if it works okay now.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  dracohairFixed.zip (1.19 MB, 6 downloads) - View custom content

Banned
Original Poster
#19 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 9:46 PM
thanks! I don't know if it works yet, I'm waiting for S4S to fix all CC for all genders. T_T but I have a question. how do I figure out exactly how many times to cut the numbers?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#20 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 1:46 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 12th Jun 2017 at 7:24 AM.
The cut numbers are numbers assigned to each mesh part. The number tells S4S which mesh to replace when it imports a Blender file. You can see it in this screen grab. The cut number has to match the number of the mesh part exported from S4S.

ScreenGrab

Banned
Original Poster
#21 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 11:18 PM
The cut numbers are numbers assigned to each mesh part. The number tells S4S which mesh to replace when it imports a Blender file. You can see it in this screen grab. The cut number has to match the number of the mesh part exported from S4S.

ScreenGrab

the hair works, thank you! back to cutting numbers. I know where it is, but when I export a mesh, there's already a number. how do I know what to change it to? (sorry for all the questions, I'm still getting used to this whole thing)
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#22 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 12:51 AM
Okay, I see. But I don't really have an answer - the meshes are exported to Blender with the cut number and as far as I know you're not supposed to change it. Maybe it gets lost when importing a brand new mesh? In the case of this hair, maybe you got confused by the hat cuts and modified the wrong cut number? With some custom hair, like this one I think, it's the same full hair mesh for the hat cuts and they don't seem to be identified so I can see that happening easily.

I don't work with S4S or Blender, so that's the extent of my knowledge.

Banned
Original Poster
#23 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 2:20 AM
Okay, I see. But I don't really have an answer - the meshes are exported to Blender with the cut number and as far as I know you're not supposed to change it. Maybe it gets lost when importing a brand new mesh? In the case of this hair, maybe you got confused by the hat cuts and modified the wrong cut number? With some custom hair, like this one I think, it's the same full hair mesh for the hat cuts and they don't seem to be identified so I can see that happening easily.

I don't work with S4S or Blender, so that's the extent of my knowledge.

yeah, I have no idea. if I DON'T change the numbers, the problem persists. what's worse is S4S doesn't tell me what the original cuts are.