Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 6:24 PM
Default Pixelated clothing texture
I'm trying to make a simple tee recolor, and I'm finding that the logos on the tees are very pixelated and look terrible. I attempted to upscale the texture size, and while the shirt looked great, the sims arms are now completely black.

Any suggestions on why my textures are so pixelated? What am I doing wrong? I'm using TSR workshop if that makes a difference.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 12:31 AM
What editor are you using to modify the texture? Some don't do a great job of compression. And are you exporting it as DDS with DXT5 compression? Did you have anti-aliasing turned on? You may find blurring the texture slightly will help.

I don't think increasing the texture size works unless you fiddle with the graphics setup - I've seen elsewhere that it results in a black sim, although the clothing went black too I think.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 1:11 AM
I'm using Photoshop CS5 (I'm lucky and have it from work :D), and the dds plugin for it. I did make sure to export as a DXT5 option. Do you mean anti-aliasing within the game, or is there an option in TSR workshop?

That would make sense about the black texture.

I really appreciate the help. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going about making this shirt the wrong way. I think I remember that in TS3 tees used a separate overlay layer for the graphics, but its seems that the way that it's done in TS4 is to edit the diffuse layer directly.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 6:02 AM
I meant anti-aliasing in Photoshop. I assume you're not getting the jaggies in the image in PS after you merge the overlay? If not, you might try exporting as png and using paint.net to convert it to dds, to see if that makes a difference.

You're correct, there's no separate overlay textures in TS4.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4