Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
#701 Old 7th Jan 2009 at 12:00 AM
PLANET EARTH ROLEPLAYING THEME IDEA:

I have a roleplaying idea that you may all consider the next time you start a thread in the roleplaying forum: planet earth! The roleplay will not only be entertaining, but it can also be educational! You can create your own character by starting with the basics: is your character a prokaryote or a eukaryote? Then, ask yourself how to classify this character based on phenotype, so you know exactly what species your character is a part of. Who knows? One member may choose to be a small paramecium. Another member may choose to be an amoeba. Another member may choose to be a oak tree. Another member may choose to be a human being! Another member can play as a virus (even though I am not 100% sure if viruses are alive or not). So...who likes the idea? We may discuss a plot later.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#702 Old 7th Jan 2009 at 12:18 AM
IAmMandi I really like that idea. Sounds like it could be really fun and quirky. I've heard (and have been a part of) various Band rps but this one seems like it'd be better. Less likely to get old and dull. Good thinking!

// sun is in the sky oh why, oh why would I wanna be anywhere else //
Lab Assistant
#703 Old 23rd Feb 2009 at 6:33 AM
IAmMadi - I really like that idea! You should definitely give it a shot. I'm sure many more members will be as interested as I am.

Extensa5420 - That is quite a unique idea, very original. I obviously can't speak for others, though I would have to think that it would be a bit difficult to roleplay. Primarily I think it would be hard to 'get into your character's head'. How exactly would you RP an oak tree?

You'd probably have to explain it to us a bit more. If you play around with the idea though, something might just flow. So in my opinion, if it turns out people are confused or not interested, alter some things. I wouldn't throw away the idea at that point.
Top Secret Researcher
#704 Old 3rd Mar 2009 at 9:06 PM
Would anyone be interested in a Salem Witch Trial RP? I think there was one here a while ago but I couldn't find it. Anyway, it would work like the game "Mafia". One person would assign all the RPers a part, the witch, the angel, or a townsperson. Each RP day the witch would PM the game host saying whom they kill (or maybe do something else so that people can still RP, haven't thought that far ahead) and the angel would PM the host saying who they save. If the angel and witch pick the same person, then the person is saved from some sort of harrowing thing in a post by the host, and if the angel picks wrong then the person dies.
Then the townspeople all argue and pick someone to burn as the witch. If they pick the witch, then the townsfolk win, and if they burn one of their own or the angel then the process starts over.
What does everyone think of that?
And I'd want at least four other people to be in it. It is based on a party game, so five is enough, but on the same note, less than that is... not.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Field Researcher
#705 Old 3rd Mar 2009 at 9:13 PM
There was a contest like that a while back, it was really good.

I like the idea Furrypanda
Scholar
#706 Old 3rd Mar 2009 at 9:42 PM
I remember that one, the Lycanthrope one! It was fun! My character ended up surviving to the end only to get stabbed by a friend of hers and fall in a river or something to that effect!

I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

You can call me Robyn, tis my name after all
SixWordStories
Top Secret Researcher
#707 Old 3rd Mar 2009 at 9:58 PM
Actually I borrow/stole the idea from Shenanigans' Salem RP, which HP was nice enough to stick on the last page of the RP forum for other people's reference.

I don't know what the lycanthrope RP you're talking about is?

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#708 Old 3rd Mar 2009 at 10:04 PM
I would so love to do another Salem one. Was so sad when the first one closed due to inactivity, because I never got to explore my corrupt little priest. Though I'm not sure I could handle any more characters at this point, plus it might not be the best idea to bring back the same character to the same kind of RP.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Scholar
#709 Old 3rd Mar 2009 at 10:27 PM
It was something that was the same basic idea, there was a werewolf/lycan, someone was a watcherm and we all voted on who was the Lycan. I remember it as being one of the first ones I ever joined on here, back when I was a wee little sims RP n00bie (God i sound like an old fart now)

Couldn't remember who started it for the life of me, but I was a seamstress, there was a priest who ended up being the only one left not dead...gah I wish I had a better memory.

I found an old pic in my photobucket, if anyone regognizes their sims in it:

Take a look!!

You can call me Robyn, tis my name after all
SixWordStories
Field Researcher
#710 Old 4th Mar 2009 at 12:22 PM
lycan.... garou... fera? W:tA = lurv ;]

If only the days were longer..

Top Secret Researcher
#711 Old 5th Mar 2009 at 1:15 AM
Oh wow, I legit didn't expect my idea to be particularly popular! I'll write it up and post it this weekend. If someone would like to co-host it with me, please drop me a PM, I'd appreciate the help.

Also, summerkelsa, my RP would be witch trials, not werewolf trials. It's like the party game mafia, not like any particular brand of supernatural roleplay.

Wveth: Not to be a downer McRainCloud, but how would one RP that? A setting based RP in this sort of format doesn't work. I tried to have one a while ago and the number of characters required is unbelievable. Or if you want people to have non-person characters (like townships), those are hard to RP since how do you know what a city is doing or feeling?

If you just want it to be a small town RP in a slightly different setting, it probably won't fly, because no amount of world building that can be crammed into a first post will cancel out that people basically want to RP the farmer and housewife and their interactions and romancing. Small town RPs are a lot of fun, but they almost inevitably die because no amount of world building or history can cancel out that, basically, small towns are boring.

Also, you aren't eligible to host an RP yet, as documented in the second RP forum rules post.

Top Secret Researcher
#712 Old 5th Mar 2009 at 2:00 AM
So a collaborative story?
That isn't something you would just stick up in the RP forum, that is something you would plan out with your friends well in advance.
Just to give you an example, myself and SilentPsycho came up with an idea for an RP about power plays between different species on a continent and moral decisions about a war, and the power of perception. But the plot was all about how the different species are different and work in opposition to each other and together.
And then we realized that there was no way in hell to have it work as an RP. Since we would need a king/leader for each species (the parellel is to your towns), citizens and warriors and mages for each species, and the central protagonists, and the antagonist's minions, that was 25 charachters we had to have. Which is insane ranging to impossible for a collaborative story, and pretty crazy on the order of woefully difficult for an RP.
For the record, Silent and I wound up working on a novel together on the subject.
But setting based RPs are really difficult to organize since they either need so many characters as to become impossible, or the setting is no longer the central element and the game becomes no different than hundreds like it.

And you still aren't eligible to host an RP on this site.

EDIT: Now please realize that I am not saying you're idea is bad, I'm saying that implementing a setting based story in a character based engine is really difficult (from a purely writing perspective), and this particular one, where RPs tend to die fairly easily, is even less suitable than most. And I'm not even saying its impossible, to do either here or in general, just really difficult. It is not a challenge I would want to take up, and I just want to make sure you understand that you are taking what you described as a setting based story, and putting it into a character based writing system, and expecting it to work. I wouldn't do it because I'm a terrible coordinator, and I've had multiple bad experiences with trying to set up novel quality ideas into an RP. My personal recommendation is to just write the novel, but if you really, truly think that you can pull it off, then full faith and blessing to you, but I doubt it.

And sorry for the f-tun of absolutes in both of those posts.

Field Researcher
#713 Old 6th Mar 2009 at 12:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FurryPanda
Also, summerkelsa, my RP would be witch trials, not werewolf trials. It's like the party game mafia, not like any particular brand of supernatural roleplay.

Definitely wasn't thinking werewolf trials. Lycan made me think of garou - a White Wolf/World of Darkness 'species' - and the fera in general... simply because I love WtA (Werewolf: the Apocalypse) and I would kill to be able to play my Rokea again..

..That was all.

Top Secret Researcher
#714 Old 7th Mar 2009 at 2:07 PM
Well, I posted the game for Salem, apps are welcome

Lab Assistant
#715 Old 16th May 2009 at 2:59 AM
What I would love to do is a sort of Ghost Hunters RP, not sure how many would be interested in this sort of thing, but I'm a big ghost fanatic to be honest and I've got tons of ideas for locations and such.
Test Subject
#716 Old 28th May 2009 at 6:24 PM
Wow. This bored has really died. It's kind of sad.
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#717 Old 28th May 2009 at 6:40 PM
I wouldn't say it's died, because 'Sweet Sixteen' and 'Vampire; the Masquerade" are still very much active roleplays. But it has slowed down alot, yes, and it seems we've lost a few players in the merger as well. But here's hoping they return once they've settled in, and that the merger will end up actually giving an influx of new players.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Test Subject
#718 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 2:04 AM
Hi, new to this board, but not new to roleplaying. I've been interested in playing a Hogwarts/Marauders' Era game for a while, but as I haven't played one in, oh, years, all my old spots and partners have dried up. Anyone here interested in playing a game with me? I like playing Sirius or Remus, I have no problems taking on Regulus as well, and can add just about any other canon character to my hand if my partner(s) are willing to take on multiple characters as well. I hope it's okay to ask like this...
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#719 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 7:32 PM
Alright, it's been roughly eight months since this idea was mentioned by IAmMadi, and it seems that sadly she's disappeared from the board since, but me and a couple of others have been talking recently about a music festival roleplay, with characters such as artists, organizers, fans, groupies, roadies, etc. It seemed to be a popular idea when back IAmMadi first suggested it, and so I figured I would bring it up here again, to see if others were interested? It would be fairly slow paced, I imagine, since most music festivals last only a couple of days, and so too fast a pace might have the RP come to an end too soon. Though that doesn't mean people who usually post back fast couldn't participate, it would just mean the those who do not would not be under as much pressure to cover everything they want within what too them might be an all too short timeframe.

So, anyone still interested? :D

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Scholar
#720 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 7:37 PM
I second that; I think it'd be a really fun RP. Music festivals have that liberating/summer vibe about them (and hey, it's summer now except in Australia) and the possibilities are pretty much endless and the theme of it is entirely fresh and unique.

I'm totally for it, in case anyone couldn't tell :D

"Life is just a chance to grow a soul" - A. Powell Davies
Top Secret Researcher
#721 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 3:08 AM
I'd join if one started.

Alchemist
#722 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 10:05 AM
I'm totally in

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#723 Old 8th Aug 2009 at 4:04 PM
Okay, great. Me and Alissa have started setting up. Hopefully more people will be interest once we've posted it.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Test Subject
#724 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 5:33 AM
I have an Harry Potter RP! Its lots of fun.
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#725 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 12:43 PM
Alright, regarding the Vampire; the Masquerade roleplay; there has been some loose talk between myself and a few of the players about a possible time jump. As in, fast forwarding a few months, to make storylines progress a little faster etc. Nothing has been decided however, as all that's been discussed is the possibility itself. I don't intend to make such a big decision without giving everyone a chance to have a say, as it will affect everyone's character(s), and so basically what I'm asking for here, is your input. Concerns, ideas, questions, plain 'yes' or 'no's.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~

Page 29 of 31