Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 3:04 PM Last edited by HarVee : 15th Sep 2018 at 3:15 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
It might even be he knew it was a scam, he just didn't expect such a personal insult. I think he should have known, but there's no limit to the amount of lies a person can tell themselves to justify the job they finally managed to get.

Good point.

Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
The dude that used to call to tell me that I won a car of my choice finally gave up as did the morons that called here for months telling me about all the free vacations I supposedly won.

Those people are fun to mess with.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 4:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
I don't have a cell phone, they call my landline. I don't answer the phone unless I know who it is. If it is something important and I don't pick up, a person will leave a message. Most of the time messages that are left are robo calls for anything from the IRS scam as mentioned previously, somebody trying to sell me solar panels, fake calls from so-called credit card companies of which I don't have credit cards with, ect... Just to spice things up, I occasionally get calls from scammers that want to plunk $20,000.00 in my bank account. If I just call them back, they will give me the money in the form of a business loan. The dude that used to call to tell me that I won a car of my choice finally gave up as did the morons that called here for months telling me about all the free vacations I supposedly won.

In regards to people from India, Verizon outsources to them. Calling for any kind of help on a weekend or after hours is a nightmare. The last time I called them when I was actually considering a upgrade, I was left on hold for more than a half hour as the person on the other end was too busy talking to whoever was in the room with her. It goes without saying, Verizon lost out on my handing them more money every month.

I get then on both my landline (which is a wireless Verizon thingy -no phone cord needed) and the cell. I usually screen all my calls too. Just safer that way, especially with a crazy psycho ex.

Most of the doctors I worked with were from India; lucky lucky me, that accent is one I can get. Which I guess comes in handy sometimes - US Medical Supply's customer service is mostly ESL folks - my only issue with THAT company is that they DON'T leave a message most of the time and just hang up, and their phone # changes. Wish they'd stop doing that. Diabetic supplies are kinda important.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#28 Old 19th Sep 2018 at 3:16 PM
LOL. That was the call that started this thread.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Theorist
#29 Old 25th Sep 2018 at 7:31 PM
Go on Youtube as there are many people who "Scam bait" these creeps. They are hilarious but on a sober note, the IRS, the gov't, Microsoft, jury duty will not leave messages on your phone. Do not call them back or engage with them. Just hang up. "The gov't" doesn't want Walmart money coupons or whatever they tell you have to "pay in" or else.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Theorist
#30 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 4:45 PM
Yesterday I caught a door-to-door scam, didn't know people still did this. It also involves 2 well known companies. AT&T telephone company and DIRECTV which is cable. A young man, probably in his 20s showed up, don't remember how he started his speech but basically he tells how bad the company your dealing with compared to what he's selling. I only have internet and a landline with nothing on it, just for emergencies. So he could sell me faster/better internet with a phone for $50. a month, no contract, no 12 month limit, no hidden charges or deposits. These were all answered from questions I asked. My internet now goes by how much data I use, it's on the very low end of the scale for what I've been paying for. He talked about some of the neighbors who signed up, I don't know them, but I guess that's to convince others. Basically we would set up an install date, a guy would come out and set stuff up and I'd be all set, also told me not to contact the company I'm with and said they would cut off service right away if I was going to switch. Also there would be no bill til after 30 days of service. This was to keep people from finding out what they actually got and the cost when it was too late to do anything.
He was here for several hours while I basically chit-chatted about numerous things, asked more questions as if I were interested then we finally got down to the real details. He wanted my social security number, I told him I'd gotten a few letters not to ever give that number any more. He was a bit surprised and tried all kinds of ways to get me to reveal it. He finally left after wasting all that time, considering it was kind of late, I'm sure I saved a few other people for the time being.

I then checked out scams on the internet and found about 5 complaints from the past 5 days, I think they just started this one recently, I was going to post but you had to register and I don't register any where that may not be safe. Now I'm not sure who to contact before too many more get scammed. One of them had the cable guy come out and he brought a guy from the phone company who also talked her into getting a landline phone for a great deal. This shows both companies are working together.

To be honest, I'm just sick and tired of feeling like a prisoner at home. I don't go anywhere except grocery shopping or medical appointments. I don't answer the phone because of all the calls, just research the numbers and if it's actually for me, I call back. I know for a fact our info is passed on by companies we deal with, not all but most of them like phone companies, internet, cable. I've even read the Do Not Call list is passed around.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Theorist
#31 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 5:05 PM
Some of the safety tips I've read is never answer yes to questions on the phone, example they ask am I speaking to 'name', ask who they are. Never call them back, if it's actually for you they will call and leave a message. Don't hit a number to remove you from their list, it adds you to more lists. Don't know if this one is true, but I've read that the DNC list is available to others. The calls that don't say anything are used to see if someone will answer, then others will call. I would love to go live off the grid in a quiet peaceful place. Technology is getting out of hand and basically driving people crazy. ):

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#32 Old 5th Oct 2018 at 3:39 PM
haveibeenpwned.com

A good free resource to check whether any of your passwords have been compromised.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Theorist
#33 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 4:58 PM
Not sure if I mentioned it before, but I get 5 or less scam calls a month. The reason is, I don't answer If I didn't set a name to a number that would call me. I research the number, if it actually was for me, which is rare, I call them back. From what I've read, the more calls you answer, the more your number will be added to other lists. I'm not on the DNC list, it seems a lot of complaints I find say that they are on it, this makes me wonder about that list. I got the first call today in about 2-3 weeks of silence and got some great info off the net after searching the number.

Once they say what the call is for, then tell them "This call is being recorded for my safety to insure it's in compliance with the FTC guidelines (or whatever your country has). They will either hang up or may challenge you that it's against the law, just remember that most often their call states that it may be monitored or recorded. I had to write this down and posted it near the PC or I'd never remember what to say. (: Another tip is, ask who you owe money too, if this is a debt collection, if you really owe money, then contact the original debtor and set up arrangements, never, never, ever pay money to a debt collector but do inform them you have worked it out with the original company and will pay direct to them. Either way tell them this, scammers are not going to contact them.

Never call back numbers you don't recognize, add names to all your contacts, making it easier for you to distinguish whether or not you know the caller. Never hit a button to remove you from their list, this doesn't stop them and adds you to more lists. Never use the work 'yes' in any conversation because some record it to scam credit cards or other purchase type scams. Very important is, never give your Social Security number, we are now told it is not an identification and do not share it with anyone. It has been removed from insurance cards and other IDs now.

If people would stop answering unknown calls, they would begin to realize it's a waste of their time and I've also realized from all the posts I've read, it's not mostly old people who keep doing it, many of them are younger. I'm all for keeping my sanity, you should too.

Mad Poster
#34 Old 25th Nov 2018 at 1:53 PM
I always get people ringing me up letting me know that my funeral insurance is about to expire

1. I am 24 years old and
2. I don't and never had funeral insurance, and then I hang up

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#35 Old 25th Nov 2018 at 5:35 PM
I got one a couple of days ago. I didn't answer, but they left a voice mail. It said they were just calling to make certain I was going to be home on Friday because there was a delivery scheduled for my house.

Unhunh

Theorist
#36 Old 17th Feb 2019 at 8:27 PM
I've come across a new type of scamming, probably not new but is to me. So, I lost my last dog roughly 6 years ago and decided no more pets. I did adopt a feral cat, who lasted about 4 years, many ferals have all sorts of medical problems due to the long line of in-breeding, so that was it, done with pets of any kind. Well, I've found myself confined to indoors even more than I was, so the last 6 months or so I've been thinking of getting a puppy to obedience train and get myself out and back to taking walks along with said puppy. Buying a pure bred or even adopting from rescues and Humane Society cost way to much so I started looking for a puppy on craigslist and did this for about 4 months. Didn't take long at all to see the ads for purebreds that seemed to all describe the same litters. Beautiful, smart, blue-eyed, 11 or sometimes 12 months old. All shots and worming up to date, fully house broken and command trained. Then they have a list of questions to fill out to see if you're qualified for one of their pups.
Name
address
phone
are you a breeder?
and a few misc questions
Just to test my theory I give my first name (not real) , for address, "what is your's, since I'm the one who may be spending money for your product? phone: "You give me yours first, I'll give you mine." The rest I just skipped. Then I get a reply back, "We are very pleased with your responses to our questions. Which puppy do you want, male or female?"
After a good laugh and a few more responses to identical posts, but different breeds I replied back. "Your concept of the English language sucks and there is no way you produce all those different breeds and they just happen to have blue eyes, etc., etc.."

In summary: These people are either puppy mills from around the country and bilking buyers out of a large sum of money ($800. or more) for purchase of pup, plus a crate and airfare to ship said pup to new owners. Or they're from other countries, like many of the scam phone calls, or, they will take the money and the 'buyer' receives nothing. Another thing is they're advertising these pups in Florida, probably all over the states, but I'm in Florida. I've emailed a few because I searched the images and they were not from here. Some were from a professional pet photographer in the U.K. and some were from other states. One said their oldest son died of cancer after a long stay in the hospital and his beloved pups (6 in this ad) which he took great care of couldn't go live with them so they were selling them in his memory. Huh?? Usually the response was some relative was too ill or had died. There is more to this story but I've got to run and will add to it later.

Page 2 of 2