Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 7:48 AM
Default Sims 2
Does anyone play the sims 2 in a urban style meaning like they like they’re game to be based of real life there families to do things you would do in real life if so I would love to know everyone’s gaming style preference
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 8:06 AM
Not quite sure what you mean. Urban meaning a gritty downtown look to the game? If so no. Based in real life? Well some of it is but I also base my play on sims reality as well.

My main hood is a seaside town, so colourful sidings, boats, fishing, beaches are the vibe there.

I play what is known as integrated style. This style is based around the sims running the town. Groceries are bought at a playable grocery store, if you want to buy some furnishings go down to simIkea, want to go to eat, there are two sim owned eating places. The nanny is your mum or best friend, the gardener another playable, your child has a choice of schools including a playable one. So in that sense very realistic. On the other hand, I also blend in what I call Sim reality. In sims a male sim can get abducted by aliens and have an alien child or turn into a plantsim if they spray too much, so for me this is part of sims reality and I include these aspects as well.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#3 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 5:23 PM
I played my own family as Sims once. It was freaky and disturbing, not something I would ever do again.
Undead Molten Llama
#4 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 6:33 PM
I, too, am not really sure what you mean, OP, but if you mean "Do I play Sims of real people?" then, no. To me, that is creepy as hell. I know a lot of people are into that, and that's cool and all, but for me it's just creepy.

If you mean "urban" as in "set in a large city environment," then no to that, too. Most of my neighborhoods are rural/agricultural or, at most, suburban. I'm not interested in having large cities or a large city "feel" in my game. (It may or may not be because I lived smack in the middle of Manhattan in New York City for many years. )

If you mean "realism" as in not using any of the game's more fantastical elements, then...Well, no to that, too. I don't play a "fantasy" game, but I like the whole alien abduction thing enough that I added mods to enhance it, and I enjoy playing with some of the "supernatural" Sims as well. But, I do like SOME elements of realism. For instance, I modified lifestage lengths so that they are more in line with reality. So that, for instance, Sims aren't teens for twice as long as they are children and so that teenhood isn't half as long as adulthood. I mean, I get that the game was marketed more toward teens than adults, so in that sense it makes sense that the game has a ridiculously and disproportionately long teen lifestage, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it or keep it that way! :D

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 9:19 PM
The great thing about Sims 2 - you can play the game any way you like to. The possibilities are endless. As long as you have fun, because playing a game without having fun would be a complete waste of time.

There are no rules here - if you want to make real people into sims, do so! I have never done that, but I do tend to meet people and sometimes can't help to think : Oh, what a cute knowledge sim you will make! I also steal names I like from real people I meet and use them without permission in my game

My hoods have no rules I like playing owned businesses, so sims in my hood who don't own a business have to buy from those who do. I like playing Uni, so all my teens go, and I don't care if not all teens in real life go to uni or not. I don't mind alien abductions at all. I don't mind the longer teen life stage, I enjoy playing that even though my own teen years have passed ages and ages and ages ago. I have some mods that I use because they suit my game play. My hood is not very realistic, I tend to think of it more as a story, or perhaps a soap opera of some kind.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 11:45 PM
I'm not able to play at all at the moment (Real Life house move), but when I am playing, I have described my playstyle as semi-realistic with a hint of utopian. I usually have aging off, so my Sims live unhurried lives, with plenty of time to enjoy things. Most of the things my Sims do are at least possible in real life. I generally avoid the supernatural elements of the game, and I don't play aliens (except in Strangetown). My main game is Veronaville, which I have been playing since I first started up the game in 2012. A lot of the emphasis is on the lives of the "ordinary" townspeople, so it's not all about the Capps and the Montys. My game is "urban" to the extent that I have a Maxis Downtown (which I call downtown Veronaville), and quite a few of my Sims live there. My own teenage years are half a century ago, but I enjoy playing teens, as they have fewer responsibilities than adults, and, with their lives ahead of them, they can even afford to make the odd mistake. Compared to myself, my Sims tend to have good and fulfilling love lives, and downtown Veronaville has become a centre of gay culture.

About the only "magical" element in my game is that I allow some of my Sims to grow money trees. Well, let's face it, I'd grow them myself if I could! It's mostly poorer Sims, and teens living without adults.

When I call my game a bit utopian, I'm not claiming that life in Veronaville is perfect, but let's just say it's possibly just a little bit better than Real Life. In the words of a railway advert from the 1980s, "We're getting there." I find it easy to empathise with my Sims, and I try to play in such a way that the game is as much fun for them as it is for me. My Sims and I have turned Veronaville round into a town they can be proud of. If it were only possible, I'd be more than happy to join their community; modern Veronaville is a thoroughly desirable place to live.

One other little oddity, possibly connected with the strong empathy I feel towards my Sims: all the Sims I have ever played are still alive -- I have never seen the Grim Reaper in my game.

Please don't PM me just now. With all Real Life's pressures, I still don't have time to clean out my In Box!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.