Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 10:12 AM
Default custom story like notifications?
I was wondering if it's possible to add your own notifications that would pop up upon loading a specific household, kind of like when you enter the Goth or Caliente households for the first time or when you play one of the sims stories games.
I think it'd be a great way to add to custom neighborhoods' lore and create a more comprehendable story, however I have no idea if anything like that would be able to work properly.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 10:26 AM
I don't think it's possible because most of the 'notifications' are embedded in the game, and are part of the internal coding.

The only one way I believe to do it is to enter a household from the neighborhood and look at the 'family description' that pops up when you open it. You can put notes into it so to remind yourself of what has happened.

Another way (although tedious for some) is to have a separate set of notes for that family on a outside computer program like 'notepad' or written notes and keep it updated. I do that as a regular course of gameplay-I have a listing for every single family I play with a recap of what went on.

You can make a template listing of every single family in the neighborhood and write short updated regularly game play descriptions for each one. I find that it breaks up the monotony and makes you pay better attention to that household.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Field Researcher
#3 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 11:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SweetCherryPie
I was wondering if it's possible to add your own notifications that would pop up upon loading a specific household, kind of like when you enter the Goth or Caliente households for the first time or when you play one of the sims stories games.
I think it'd be a great way to add to custom neighborhoods' lore and create a more comprehendable story, however I have no idea if anything like that would be able to work properly.

It is possible, I've seen it on a custom neighborhood (Larksville, I think) but it requires a lot of modding for a notification that appears just once.
Theorist
#4 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 11:55 AM
It's not just the notifications that are scripted either. In the basegame neighbourhoods all households (except the family bin ones) are basically mini-tutorials introducing the new features Sims 2 has over Sims 1 with scripted wants being rolled, scripted Sims being brought back from work/school, scripted walkbyes, even Mary-Sue Pleasant's chance card is scripted to fail so that she will be fired, come home early and catch Daniel with Kalynn,

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 2:37 PM
Larksville has the only object that I know of that was made by a player that does this. http://www.simfileshare.net/download/58955/

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Scholar
#6 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 3:02 PM
It can be done, A&N has scripting built in for one of my neighbourhoods.
You would have to do it with a mod, if the lot is for upload then end users would have to download/install your mod for it to work.

When a lot begins to run the game scripting controller checks for a token and exits if the token exists, it'll add the token if it doesn't exist then run the scripting for that lot if applicable. That means for it to work you would had to have never have run the lot at all, or the token would have been added and scripting would never run on that lot. Alternatively you need a mod to remove the token from the lot and/or prevent the game scripting from running and adding the token.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 2nd Aug 2019 at 12:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
It can be done, A&N has scripting built in for one of my neighbourhoods.
You would have to do it with a mod, if the lot is for upload then end users would have to download/install your mod for it to work.

When a lot begins to run the game scripting controller checks for a token and exits if the token exists, it'll add the token if it doesn't exist then run the scripting for that lot if applicable. That means for it to work you would had to have never have run the lot at all, or the token would have been added and scripting would never run on that lot. Alternatively you need a mod to remove the token from the lot and/or prevent the game scripting from running and adding the token.

Me and another simmer had a look aroung DJS's controller for Larksville and it looks so complicated. All I want is something to deliver notifications rather than the complicated wants/scripted actions and events.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 1:38 AM
what if there was an object that gave a notification, and then you set your sim to interact with it so it'd give the notification, but before that save? idk...just a thought lol
Scholar
#9 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 1:51 PM
Try this and see if it is a bit simpler to configure.
CJH_CustomSripting.zip (15.9 kB), instructions included.
Notes: Not base game compatible, I’m not sure what the lowest EP requirement is.
It will only run in a primary neighbourhood on residential and apartment sub lots.

Uses a registered GUID, I don't see any need to change the GUID ever as the scripts will only ever run once so it's of no use to end users after a short while. If you re-do it for another neighbourhood end users can just replace the one they have.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
Try this and see if it is a bit simpler to configure.
CJH_CustomSripting.zip (15.9 kB), instructions included.
Notes: Not base game compatible, I’m not sure what the lowest EP requirement is.
It will only run in a primary neighbourhood on residential and apartment sub lots.

Uses a registered GUID, I don't see any need to change the GUID ever as the scripts will only ever run once so it's of no use to end users after a short while. If you re-do it for another neighbourhood end users can just replace the one they have.

I could kiss you right now honestly it works and I'm so happy!

Also I'm using the base game and celebration stuff, so I think it only works as long as you have an update between celebration and base game.

(most likely the update that came with nightlife)
Test Subject
#11 Old 9th Aug 2019 at 10:56 PM
Hey Chris, what controllers add in scripted actions/events and wants? And how do I go about doing that? If you don’t mind me asking something that gives a complex answer lol

MICAHMicah
Scholar
#12 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 4:03 PM
I don't mind being asked questions as long as we don't go too far off topic.
The main one for game scripting, the one that is relevant here has an Object Data name of 'Controller - Game Scripting', it doesn't have a catalogue description so the object data name is what SimPe's object workshop will list it as. Object Workshop lists controllers in Other -> Sim Type. Its GUID is 0x8D0C081F, in group 0x7F6B4A0E

The game scripting controller first tests if a lot has the token to indicate it has run on the lot already and if not it adds the token before scripting the lot. That makes it a bit difficult to do much with because it will only ever run on any lot once, when it runs it checks for which neighbourhood, lot and sim GUIDs are on the lot to run the correct script. It then triggers only according to conditions.

Another one is the Controller - Tutorial - Main. Although it mainly only runs in the tutorial neighbourhood it is the thing that gives the first welcome to sims dialogue, the one that begins with "The Sims are in 3D!". What is cool about that one is after the welcome dialogues it sets flag 1 on the Instant Write Once Flags and those flags are stored, can be read and written to external from the game as edithConfigFlags in userProps.xml. You can set that value back to 0 before starting your game and the dialogue will run again. A&N uses four of those flags to set different running modes.

My personal favourite is the Controller - Ingame Help, which handles the Game Tips. This one does have a catalogue description, of 'Game Tips'. Its group number is 0x7FE066DD which you'll need to know if you use object workshop to look for it as it's not the only controller with Game Tips as the catalogue description. This one will trigger by specific conditions but can also be triggered by other things making it more versatile and easier to use. Once an event has triggered it places a token in the file called NeighborhoodManager.package which can be read and written to from every neighbourhood.

All three of those controllers use the TutorialScriptingGlobals.
Test Subject
#13 Old 24th Sep 2019 at 3:20 AM
Hey Chris, I’m back after a long AWOL lol I apologize for that! But back to asking questions haha

Now the first one, is that what they used for the base game with the Pleasantview, Strangetown, and Veronaville pre-made families, right? If so, I know you said it’s complicated, but, what is the probability of game scripting your own custom hood to a success? I know there are custom neighborhoods that have scripting but I don’t think most of them have actual game scripting. And my next question is with the game scripting in SimPE , is it “code only” for giving my Sims commands or is it something that is in-game or both? My want would be to do something like the pre-mades or highly ideally (but probably not realistically) the early producer gameplay walkthrough (in the unused hood, Waterside, with early Don Baxter, his wife, his sister-in-law, and Nina)

MICAHMicah
Scholar
#14 Old 24th Sep 2019 at 5:00 PM
All of the real game scripting comes from the 'Controller - Game Scripting', there is also a 'Controller - Tutorial - Main' which does a similar thing but only in the Tutorial neighbourhood. It can do anything you want it to do, push sims to interact with each other or a specific item in any way you want. It can be set to cause any sims to visit at any time you want, set them to be greeted and perform an interaction if you like, change outfit if and when you like etc.

My main neighbourhood is scripted and the scripting is in 'Controller - Game Scripting' in A&N so yes you can script your own neighbourhood. The trouble with modding the default controller is that you could only have one such override in your download folder and it would be very EP specific so it's not ideal for upload but for personal use there's not much you couldn't do with it.
Test Subject
#15 Old 24th Sep 2019 at 6:49 PM
Thank you so much!

Last question is: where can I find the game scripting token and controller or even the tutorial controller in SimPE ? Where would I have to look to start making my own scripts

MICAHMicah