Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 12:08 AM Last edited by Rosebine : 10th Mar 2018 at 1:49 AM.
Default Making a fence gate have the same lighting on both sides?
This is very annoying about gates. One side..(north?) will show up shiny, lit and all, but when you need the hinges on the other side, flipping the gate around makes it look darker. Like if it was suddenly inside.
Is there a way to stop this silliness?
I Think I need a global mod...
*goes to read about this*
Following Nysha's method , I found nothing. Well, I found a few semi globals that I thought had something to do with this, but found nothing.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 4:57 PM
Are you talking about gates you've made, or other people?

If made in Milkshape, most modifying like rotating and flipping meshes will result in broken normals (internal object shadows with light sources, not floor/wall/sun shadows), so those have to be fixed.

Objects going darker can also be a result of the same issue that happens with shiftable items (light sources don't hit them properly if shifted too low), though I'm not sure.

A lot of objects have TXMT settings that make them a little darker - I think it's the stdMatDiffCoef setting (usually 0.8, 0.8, 0.8) - clothes are set to 1,1,1,1.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 5:45 PM Last edited by Rosebine : 10th Mar 2018 at 6:26 PM.
A gate I made. I changed nothing in Milkshape, I meant in game when you put it facing the other way.
If it faces outside, it is lit. If it faces inside, it is not. But it's not a question of facing inside or not, it is the object itself. Regardless of if it is facing outside, one side is always lit, the other always not
It is not just my gate, it is all gates.
Look :
If the arrow is pointing towards the *outside* it is lit.

If the arrow is pointing towards the *inside* it's not... and this happens with my fence too, all fences.

Definitively an annoyance when you want 2 gates side by side, but with hinges on both sides..like RL ya know.

This always bothered me, even much so now that I am making fences and gates...
They should work like doors.
I think I will simply add a double fence to my set, short to fix this light problem!
I'll get the proper lighting and hinges on both sides for both gates.

Mad Poster
#4 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 2:53 PM
I think it's a light source problem from ingame, since it happens for the inside of some windows, too. The objects don't pick up on orientation properly, and therefore don't follow the light source.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 5:23 PM
Might be. Whatever it is, it would be nice to fix once and for all! Nope, I'm not the one who will.
But my double gate looks awesome.