Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 1:06 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Nraas SP prevents my sims from receiving opportunities
Hey guys,

So I have this weird problem with the Nraas Story Progression Mod, and it seems like I am the only person experiencing it!
Everytime I put SP in my game, my sims won't get opportunities anymore, and that really sucks. I love this mod, but opportunities I love more. I know it must be SP, because I've tested it on different game profiles (with the anygamestarter) and I even tested it on three different machines, on two of them I had the game newly installed and there was nothing else in there, just SP. I have also set it to "snail" speed and my laptop can't be the problem, as it is 1) very good and 2) I've also tested this on my bf's gaming PC.

Is there anyone out there with the same problem? I would love to be able to play with SP again, since I like starting neighbourhoods from scratch and my sims need to procreate...

Thank you in advance, every piece of advice or similar experience or idea is very much appreciated! :*
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 1:44 PM
The NRAAS site is probably a better spot to ask, although some of the members who would know the answer do also hang out here.

I know I've seen an option somewhere to suppress opportunities, but I don't remember where. My initial guess would be that you've got it activated somehow.
I usually tend to use the cheat in Master Controller/Basic on the sim to get an opportunity if I feel it's been too long since they've had one, so I can't say for sure whether I've got the problem or not. Although I don't think I would have actually assigned my sim the one where you have a riddle contest in China, so I suspect it was one that came up randomly and I accepted it and then just didn't send him to China before I took a 6-month hiatus from Sims.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 2:19 PM Last edited by barbarat : 19th Nov 2017 at 3:44 PM.
Just curious: what makes you believe it is the SP Mod? I could be wrong but I do not see where SP might be causing your issue. Edit: My apologies I missed that in your OP. @igazor will, I'm sure, have more detail for your re SP.

In the meantime and in line with Ghosts suggestion see Help - My Sim Is Not Getting Any Opportunities at the bottom of the page. Does that help you any?

Edit: The Suppress Oportunities option is in the Game Options (4th tab)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 4:00 PM
@Ghost sdoj: Thank you for your answer. I already asked there, noone had an answer, but I'm not willing to give up yet. I know there is a "suppress opportunities" option in the game menu but it's not activated. If there's an option with MC, I haven't seen it yet, but I will try. The problem is that this also occurs when I don't have MC installed.

@barbarat: Thank you for your thoughts! I think so because everything works just fine when I don't have SP in the game, and stops working when it's in there. I don't have the "suppress opportunities" button activated.

I know I can trigger opportunities with the MC, but that feels so unnatural to me... and it's so much work :D
As to my problem, I forgot to mention that I receive job opportunities just like before, just no normal skill opportunities.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 6:10 PM
In the description of this 'Opportunity Phone Call Fix' mod by nikel23, it connects a change in phone opportunities with installing Into the Future.

You might want to give it a try
http://sims3.modthesims.info/download.php?t=560635

I've used NRaas SP for years and only noticed a change after installing ITF - now I use this mod and opportunities are back to a pre-install rate.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 6:24 PM
@LeeAlee: Unfortunately it has nothing to do with ITF. The same happens when the pack is not installed. I also already have the mod... :/ But thanks anyway!
Mad Poster
#7 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 8:40 PM
Afraid I don't have a whole lot to add to this if our developer at NRaas couldn't find a connection between SP and the Opps being throttled, it's not the SP settings doing this by design, and it's not the well-known ITF bug.

The issue sounds more like a symptom of the game engine being overworked than anything else -- when this happens, and it does happen easily enough, certain game elements like Free Will just stop functioning. This could be one of those elements. But I don't have any hard evidence to back that theory up either. SP has a pretty heavy impact on the engine and it could be just throwing things over edge even while running at Snail speeds.

You might consider trying AwesomeMod and its version of progression (StoryMode) to see if that works out for you any better?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 9:12 PM
Hey igazor,
Thank you for your answer. That's what they told me at the nraas forums... I guess that's it, then. I don't know how I can be the only person experiencing it, I have a gaming laptop that should totally be capable of it, but I guess I have to live with that :/
I'm playing with the AM currently and like everything about it but the story progression It just doesn't do very much when you're used to twallan's version.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 2:44 AM
We could go through the steps of telling you what your hardware should be expected to handle. That would take a copy/paste of your DeviceConfig.log into a reply here, just the first 40 lines or so, not the long lists of game options that appear after that. But this kind of issue is not always hardware related. The game is a 32-bit executable and once patched up things are barely held together with cello tape and string as it is. Adding more stress to the game engine, like SP can certainly do, can bring about unwanted side-effects like this. Not mod related at all, but so can having large dogs in the household and bathtubs (as opposed to showers) on the residential lot as the game foolishly keeps trying to recalculate paths for the dogs to be bathed even when they aren't dirty. Better hardware doesn't fix things like that.

I bet that other players see this as well but just silently write it off as an acceptable loss (to them) in order to keep SP moving. And of course there will be some who don't even want all of those opps as they find the constant offers intrusive to their style of gameplay.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#10 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 8:07 AM
Hm, even if you don't have ITF installed you still have the ITF tuning file for opportunities if you are running the 1.67/1.69 patch.

From my experience opportunities are terminably wonky now, regardless of having nikel's fix or not. I have one save game where my household receives opportunities on a regular basis and another where none of the members receive any at all. And in a third save my Sim started with regular opportunities and then all of a sudden they all stopped. I even had it several times now that one household got no opportunities at all and then I switched households in the same game and the switched-to household got one within the first minute. I don't have NRaas SP, by the way.

So, having said that, I think it is almost impossible to determine whether this issue can be blamed on a single mod, seeing that the outcome varies greatly from save to save and even within the same save. You'd probably have to run further tests in a game where opportunities work for several weeks and then add SP to that game to see whether they suddenly cease to work.