Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jun 2019 at 6:40 PM
Default What Did You Do With The Nekojima Characters?
Moocha-muses and Katatty, over on Tumblr, recently released an absolutely gorgeous custom 'hood named Nekojima.

Quote:
Welcome to Nekojima: a small island off the coast of Takemizu, where the cats outnumber the townspeople and everyone knows how to fish.

Nekojima’s normally a quiet, cozy little place, watched over by Toomo, its resident goddess. But last year two of the island’s favorite citizens (and best fisherpeople) were lost at sea in a dangerous storm. Their families are still reeling from the blow.

Toshi Utagawa’s back in town, bringing along a baby and a slightly damaged heart. Speaking of hearts, there’s a new doctor in town that’s stolen a few. And the peace up at the ryokan’s been broken by the owners’ grandson. They can hear his guitar all the way down to the beach. We haven’t even mentioned the usual crop of summer guests! That mysterious writer doesn’t seem like she plans to head home any time soon, and some reporter’s been picking a fight with Nekojima’s only resident celebrity. He can’t be very good at his job….

It’s up to the Simmer to soothe things down - or stir them up even more!

I am very excited about playing this neighbourhood and would love to hear about how other simmers are playing it :-) Some people are sharing pictures, gameplay etc over on Tumblr, but I know that not everyone is active there, so I figured I'd start a thread here as well :-) I'm looking forward to hearing about your Nekojimas! :-D
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Jun 2019 at 7:45 PM
I wish it came in a subhood version. It would look great in my uberhood.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Theorist
#3 Old 24th Jun 2019 at 10:13 PM
The hood is intriguing enough.
I think I'll give it a try.
@smorbie
They tell that they'll provide a subhood version in the future.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Jun 2019 at 10:51 PM
Yes, they've said that they will be releasing a subhood version soon :-)

I am hopeful that use of Twojeffs' Visitor Controller will allow me to play a Nekojima-Widespot 'hood without having Widespot full of stray cats and elderly fishermen. I don't usually have strays in my game, so I will just disallow them from all non-Nekojima lots. And I think that Dickhurt's Pet Modifications mod can be customised to prevent stray dogs from spawning? And I will ban non-locals to try to prevent sims from each 'hood from showing up in the other 'hood. If that doesn't work I can try doing it with Inge's keys instead, or even by banning each sim by hand if I absolutely have to! At least there aren't too many of them.....
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Jun 2019 at 11:12 PM
Subhood making instructions: http://modthesims.info/t/502306

They're even Sunbee-proof: I did them with Emerald Heights.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 24th Jun 2019 at 11:30 PM
Is there a picture of the map and houses anywhere?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Jun 2019 at 1:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Is there a picture of the map and houses anywhere?

Not an "official" one, I don't think, no. Some people on Tumblr have been posting about the 'hood and have shared some of their pictures, though.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 25th Jun 2019 at 1:07 AM
Huh. I'll have to give this a play sometime.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Forum Resident
#9 Old 25th Jun 2019 at 2:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86

I am hopeful that use of Twojeffs' Visitor Controller will allow me to play a Nekojima-Widespot 'hood without having Widespot full of stray cats and elderly fishermen. I don't usually have strays in my game, so I will just disallow them from all non-Nekojima lots. And I think that Dickhurt's Pet Modifications mod can be customised to prevent stray dogs from spawning? And I will ban non-locals to try to prevent sims from each 'hood from showing up in the other 'hood. If that doesn't work I can try doing it with Inge's keys instead, or even by banning each sim by hand if I absolutely have to! At least there aren't too many of them.....

I've done all those things with VC in my games, lauratje, so I can confirm that your first plan will work great! (Me, I like giving sims more unique social groups, so making the sims they know partly a function of where they live is always part of that.) Simply using VC to ban nonlocals and all strays (including on residential lots, if you like) should keep the two subhoods' populations entirely separate, especially if you also add Pescado's local walkbys to make extra sure.

Personally, I haven't found the VC to be as good with consistently recognizing Inge's keys for banning, so it's good you shouldn't have to fall back on that option!

Also, thanks for highlighting this custom hood---as well as for mentioning dickhurt's mod. Both the hood and that mod are intriguing, and you've reminded me I needed to look through dickhurt's other mods here as well; I use a few already and enjoy them.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 25th Jun 2019 at 3:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by natboopsie
I've done all those things with VC in my games, lauratje, so I can confirm that your first plan will work great! (Me, I like giving sims more unique social groups, so making the sims they know partly a function of where they live is always part of that.) Simply using VC to ban nonlocals and all strays (including on residential lots, if you like) should keep the two subhoods' populations entirely separate, especially if you also add Pescado's local walkbys to make extra sure.

Ooooh, that's good to know, thank you for telling me :-) My Nekojima-Widespot dream 'hood is looking more plausible by the minute! :-D

Quote: Originally posted by natboopsie
Also, thanks for highlighting this custom hood---as well as for mentioning dickhurt's mod. Both the hood and that mod are intriguing, and you've reminded me I needed to look through dickhurt's other mods here as well; I use a few already and enjoy them.

You're most welcome :-) It's looking like an excellent 'hood, and I hope that simmers who don't (often) frequent Tumblr will check it out too! I do love well-made, creative user-made downloadable 'hoods - particularly ones with interesting characters and storylines. I'm a big fan of Peni Griffin's Widespot and Land Grant University as well as Katatty's Europa, and Nekojima is now a new favourite of mine! :-)
Mad Poster
#11 Old 25th Jun 2019 at 4:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
Subhood making instructions: http://modthesims.info/t/502306

They're even Sunbee-proof: I did them with Emerald Heights.

Almost certain they aren't Smorbie proof, though. Nothing computer related is. I've been discussing this on other threads, though. @Charity assures me it's just a lack of confidence. She's being kind.

I am working up my courage, though. Wish I could work up some skill to go along with it.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Theorist
#12 Old 25th Jun 2019 at 6:08 PM
@Smorbie: I think Charity is right. We often have a tendency to run ourselves down.

I added a few CC and Nekojiwa looks like this at the moment.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#13 Old 26th Jun 2019 at 5:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
Almost certain they aren't Smorbie proof, though. Nothing computer related is. I've been discussing this on other threads, though. @Charity assures me it's just a lack of confidence. She's being kind.

I am working up my courage, though. Wish I could work up some skill to go along with it.

So? You have a fresh zipped copy from the website. Screw it up, trash bin it, unzip a new copy, try again.

I busted Emerald Heights the first time I tried--see the last post in the thread, being by me, about how I busted it.

I'm lucky to be old enough I learned back in the day when the worst that could happen was having to pull out the windows floppies and re-install. Well, back up the things, and go for it! So what if you break it fifty times, if you get it right the fifty-first time, and you can now do the thing you wanted to, and you learned a new skill? All it will cost you is time. (I actually started using computers BEFORE hard drives-those were apple clones. But as far as dealing with hard drives? Windows floppies.)

Really, you can do this. Just might take a few tries. Doesn't require any sort of aesthetic taste or technical skill beyond reading and following directions, and you learned that in elementary.

My husband taught our eldest son how to install windows on customers' computers when he was five. My husband needed help-the power company had fried everyone's power supplies as well as their surge protectors, and those who didn't have surge protectors had also lost hard drives and motherboards and stuff-and the boy could read and click on "ok". (We had three kids, I was not exactly available.) Computers are just switches, not magic. You got this.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#14 Old 26th Jun 2019 at 6:08 PM
Thank you. However, I just learned I would have to disable the stealth hoods. Not sure how to do it, though I know I can find out. It just adds to the fear.

Mad Poster
#15 Old 26th Jun 2019 at 6:37 PM
You disable stealth hoods by renaming the files. If you can type you can rename a file.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#16 Old 26th Jun 2019 at 8:04 PM
OH another hood to play with! YAY

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 29th Jun 2019 at 12:25 AM
I've been casually playing Nekojima whilst I put together my revamped Downloads folder, and quite a bit has happened so far. A few things that have happened, and wants that have been rolled by the sims, kind of make me wish that I was playing it properly! But it's all out of sync, I didn't set up ACR or various other mods properly before I started playing, I didn't make the townies playable (I never play with townies - they just bug me!) and Widespot isn't attached, so this will have to be my test run! Fingers crossed that I get some cool stuff happening when I play it "for real" as well :-)

I've only played a few households so far - for quite a few days, so the 'hood is now massively out of sync - and I've written about them under the spoiler tags so that I don't spoil anything for people who haven't checked out the 'hood yet.

Alchemist
#18 Old 30th Jun 2019 at 11:44 PM
I changed Nekojima to a subhood (shopping district), no problem. I didn't play it first as a hood, so I don't know how it normally works, but it changed type and seems to function fine as far as loading and such. I attached it to Widespot just to make sure and it all works fine. So, @smorbie1, if you want to go to the trouble to disable stealth hoods and such, at least you know this hood changes to a subhood without issues.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 1st Jul 2019 at 5:14 PM
Thank you, Sunrader. I haven't check this thread the last few days, so I just saw @Peni Griffin 's post as well as this one. I'm still planning to give it a go. Just have to make time to sit and concentrate on it.

You guys are great. Thank you for your help and encouragement. About how long does this process take?