Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Aug 2011 at 3:43 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Red and White Mailbox and Apartment Mailbox Problem
Hi,
i havent downloaded any recolors or any new mailboxes ever for my sims 2 game.
I've had this problem for a long time and figured i'd do something about it.
When i Make a new lot and go to it, it automatically makes the color of my mailbox red on top and white.
I can go receive my bills but after my sim puts it on the ground i don't have the normal option to pay all bills on the pie menu....
And also when i make an apartment, i change the lot zoning and it changes to the apartment base but does not change into the apartment mailbox that it is suppose to.
this really bothers me because it wont go to the normal mailbox.
As already said, i haven't downloaded any new mail boxes and Recolours, so when i redesign it, it shows the cc little symbol in the corner (which it does to ALL of my objects that i use the design tool with even when they're maxis recolours) I don't know whats wrong with that either....(Wow my game is soooo messed up lol)
But In the Misc. area of my buy mode it shows that you can buy the mailbox and trash can (which with the trash can it has 3 recolours but they'res no difference)
PLEASEEE SOMEONE HELP ME and dont be mean about it...im not an expert at gaming here...
thanks,,

Also i'm attaching the pictures of the apartment mailbox at one of my apartments i'm building now.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 1st Aug 2011 at 5:55 AM
If you follow the Game_Help:Game_Problemwiki FAQ, it will walk you through the steps to solve your problem.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Aug 2011 at 6:30 AM
ok. i'll try that again because last time i ended up deleting all my CC.
Instructor
#4 Old 1st Aug 2011 at 8:29 AM
Have you downloaded any lots ? Sometimes buyable mailboxes find ther way into your CC even when using Clean Installer. Do a search in your CC folder for buyable mailbox and trashcans and remove them. I'm not sure if the mailbox regenerates you may have to get an apartment life version from Sim a Little Dream Alot at this link http://daydream.etowns.net/
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Aug 2011 at 9:54 PM
Thanks Keef. i'll try that.
btw i've downloaded about every lot you've made. they're amazing so thanks for that too!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Aug 2011 at 11:46 PM
Ok i looked thru my WHOLE downloads folder and couldn't find a mailbox. so i looked at one of the packaged lots i was going to download (i use sims 2 package installer) and in the package it said mailbox---------object.
and it was red and white.
so if it's in my packaged lot why cant i find it in my downloads...?
every lot i download never says mailbox and i didnt even buy it from misc. i just left it automatic...
Instructor
#7 Old 3rd Aug 2011 at 9:10 AM Last edited by keef1973 : 4th Aug 2011 at 9:15 AM. Reason: add txt
If you can see it in your misc section in your game then the file will be in your downloads folder, try searching using mailbox. buyable or if it is etowns SEDD
I'm glad you like my lots, you are too kind.
Site Helper
#8 Old 3rd Aug 2011 at 11:59 AM
If you use the EA BodyShop installer, I believe that it renames all of your CC to useless strings of meaningless letters and numbers. The Clean Installer can be used to browse your Downloads folder and identify individual packages, which you can then delete or move out of your Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder. I believe that there are other programs which can help you to identify CC as well, but Clean Installer is the one that I'm familiar with.

To browse your downloads, just run the Clean Installer and select Downloads from the drop-down list.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Aug 2011 at 7:13 PM
ok thanks
Site Helper
#10 Old 3rd Aug 2011 at 7:23 PM
I see that you're already using Delphy's Download Organizer. I believe that you can use that, instead of the Clean Installer, to identify CC.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd Aug 2011 at 10:02 PM
ok. so the red hacks are the ones i should most likely delete?
Site Helper
#12 Old 3rd Aug 2011 at 11:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Avril14725
ok. so the red hacks are the ones i should most likely delete?
Yes, hacks are probably the most likely CC to have problems. On the other hand, almost all of my CC is hacks and it all works just fine. Being a (red) hack doesn't mean that there's anything wrong.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 4th Aug 2011 at 6:54 AM
Ok thanks
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 7th May 2016 at 4:47 PM
I know this thread is veeery old, but have you found the file that was in charge here? Because I have exactly the same problem and I can't seem to find this bugger...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 7th May 2016 at 11:42 PM
Do you have a mailbox override or a buyable mailbox mod?
Instructor
#16 Old 8th May 2016 at 10:01 PM
I had this problem i accidently downloaded these mailbox recolours from a lot. The only way that i could get rid of them was to use Clean Installer and look at the pictures it has as they all had numbers and letters to describe them.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 2:13 AM
Default Similar Problem
Quote: Originally posted by Fearless Butterfly
I had this problem i accidently downloaded these mailbox recolours from a lot. The only way that i could get rid of them was to use Clean Installer and look at the pictures it has as they all had numbers and letters to describe them.

I'm having an identical problem. I cannot stand this red mailbox.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 3:41 AM
Unless you download mailbox recolors, the ones you have probably hitched a ride with downloaded houses, and they sometimes pretend to be default replacements even if they're just simple recolors. Keeping downloads for each house in separate subfolders is therefore always a good idea, so you don't mix them with other downloads.

Can the mailbox be recolored ingame? You might need to have "moveobjects on" for it to work. If the original version is still present in the menu, you can switch. If there are any recolors (there should be an extra grey one if you have the buyable mailbox hack, or possibly the CEP) you probably have more left in your Downloads folder, and need to go through them. As said above, mail/trash recolors often have a string of random numbers, but not always. Occasionally, recolors of other objects will get the random string too, so don't just delete all those files without going through them first. They'll often have the mail/trash texture overlay if using the Clean Installer, but again, not always. In SimPE they will have mail/trash in the name string.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 4:21 AM
You have to be very careful downloading lots away from MTS, some contain hacks, defaults and other things you don't want. You have picked up a cc mail box and unless you accidentally downloaded it, my guess is it came with a lot. Always check over any lot file carefully in Clean Installer. Lots here can't contain those things since they get spotted by the upload wizard and every piece must be accounted for. If you place all cc that comes with a lot into a named folder eg 'CC for 3 maple Drive" and you find something like that mail box suddenly showing up you can simply look through the folder or remove it. I've seen a few posts over the years about this mailbox but no one whose solved it ever posted the files name! That would be handy. You may have to do a 50/50 search to find it, and if you do please come back and name the file.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 8:19 AM
Thanks to suggestions on this thread, I found the demon Mailbox file using the Clean Installer. Since it was hidden in a packaged lot file, it was the only way. I went ahead and disabled the content from my game.

I'm not sure if this will be helpful, but I'll post the MD5 and the FileName of my little migraine below, just in case:

MD5 (I don't know what this is): D3D56371639C5B1C1
FileName: 47f6694823b08ee078ac6d52158e192b_0006
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 11:02 AM
How long ago do you think you got it and where? Looks like it's file name got changed on installing, that can happen. I have hunted around before for this mail box and never found where it came from so it's probably old perhaps from the exchange or some other site that's gone.

That's probably not it's name, but just in case, it's good to have.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#22 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 3:53 PM
Yeah - mail box recolours and the so-called Mail Box hack are real pests. They get packed up with any lot and, if not cleaned before posting, get passed on like herpes to the next user. Once you know what the texture looks like though, the recolours at least are easy to spot with Clean Installer. BTW, I wouldn't disable those files (the programme just changes the file extension but doesn't remove them from your game files) I'd delete the buggers.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 8:31 PM
I had to go in again since my mailbox came with accomplices. I happened upon three files in my Clean Installer with the Object name simply "Mailbox" (I have no idea why this is different from FileName). Maxon's right - disabling did nothing. So I deleted and things are back to normal.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 10:55 PM
There are also harmless mail box recolours around, but you want to get those because you want them, not as passengers with lots. You didn't grab a lot from TSR did you?

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#25 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 1:15 PM
*bumping this thread*
I recently had to clean out custom mailboxes because of the same problem and these are the files that I found using clean installer:

64dd4dfe8b6c10f26b625efed10ddad9_0001

987c4c9b01e6d7bb327a3521d565905b_0001

7b425849eaa8911fdf2d1473a0cf349f_0001

wind_mailboxrecolor_agedwood

wind_mailboxrecolor_greenwood

wind_mailboxrecolor_bluewood

wind_mailboxrecolor_lightwood

wind_mailboxrecolor_medwood

wind_mailboxrecolor_darkwood

wind_mailboxrecolor_blackwood

wind_mailboxrecolor_dullmetal

wind_mailboxrecolor_metal

wind_mailboxrecolor_darkmetal

wind_mailboxrecolor_inviswood

My apartments are back to the way they should be after I deleted these files so I hope this list can be helpful for others with the same issue.
Page 1 of 2