Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 28th Oct 2017 at 10:01 PM
I only wish it was modular so we could move things around if we wanted to. In it's current state everything is just way too spread out.

I have to admit something though... I really miss the floating heads in the interaction menus.
Advertisement
Scholar
#77 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lakme
I really hate the camera controls.

This can be very painful if you were only using a standard ms mouse.
And there is no mouse sensitivy options built into the game either.

And if your middle wheel mouse button dies out, your quite screwed until your replace it.

I've gone through quite a few mouses since release, and not just one that works, but a comfortable one to use.
Mad Poster
#78 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 12:33 AM
You guys know there's a TS3 mode for the camera controls, right? You should never, never, NEVER not have that turned on. TS3 is the only Sims game with good camera controls, all the other ones are fucking shit for some weird reason.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
#79 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 6:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
You guys know there's a TS3 mode for the camera controls, right? You should never, never, NEVER not have that turned on. TS3 is the only Sims game with good camera controls, all the other ones are fucking shit for some weird reason.

And if you don't turn it on the dev team will take that as a sign that telemetry is pointing to us not liking the classic camera controls. So change that setting, or it's bye-bye to good camera controls in The Sims 5 (if there even is going to be a TS5).
Mad Poster
#80 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 10:24 AM
They're not getting any telemetry from me at all.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#81 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 1:46 PM
I love how EA don't understand telemetry bias. That's why toddlers and children were last minute additions. They were given significantly less in TS3 than the other age groups, yet EA believed that players simply didn't want to play as them at all.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Top Secret Researcher
#82 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 8:34 PM
I realised that with telemetry on my games (both TS3 and TS4) become inexplicably slow... That's one of the reasons it's turned down for good in my book. Still, if they knew how to use telemetry properly I would be ok with it. But it's just another excuse for cutting base features and then selling them separately as DLC.

Hey, at least we got toddlers!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#83 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 8:38 PM
Pardon If I sound retarted, but what is a telemetry?
Top Secret Researcher
#84 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 12:36 AM
Tool that big gaming companies use to collect play data (statistics on what was the most used by players) to improve their game by getting rid of unnecesarry features and improve the rest. Still, it's just plain stupid to apply statistics on this type of game, since it's a game that should be able to please the crowds, the game for all casual and even non-casual gamers. For everyone. but by getting rid of the features that are not the most used ones is still stupid since there is still a lot of people that consider them the essence of the game. That's what sims game is.

In this case it's actually used as an excuse. I'm sure in other games (like shooters or platformers) statistics are actually a good thing that show what weapon was most used, which manuvers and on what platforming level have the users got most stuck on, in order to improve the experience. Here it's just a stupid addition in order to assure EA more money income via DLC shippment. Blame it on us.
Top Secret Researcher
#85 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 5:55 AM
Paradox also collects telemetry - this is what they use to tell us things like the most played countries (folks on their forums are partial to Ulm and Byzantium; the numbers say most players like England, France, and the Ottomans), that custom nations are very popular, that almost half use mods of some sort, and what percentage play multi-player.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#86 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 1:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
Tool that big gaming companies use to collect play data (statistics on what was the most used by players) to improve their game by getting rid of unnecesarry features and improve the rest. Still, it's just plain stupid to apply statistics on this type of game, since it's a game that should be able to please the crowds, the game for all casual and even non-casual gamers. For everyone. but by getting rid of the features that are not the most used ones is still stupid since there is still a lot of people that consider them the essence of the game. That's what sims game is.

In this case it's actually used as an excuse. I'm sure in other games (like shooters or platformers) statistics are actually a good thing that show what weapon was most used, which manuvers and on what platforming level have the users got most stuck on, in order to improve the experience. Here it's just a stupid addition in order to assure EA more money income via DLC shippment. Blame it on us.

And based on that data, they declared girl-teens to be demography (though in reality it isn't) because many play it for toddlers? Go figure. They try now to appeal to one particular player group instead than all, as you mention The Sims craters for all players (well, not really true with the current iteration, but it is with the predecessors).
Test Subject
#87 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 7:05 PM
It's my favorite UI in the whole series. I only wish the needs shortcut button would be in a more accessible place because it can be just a little bit annoying having to click the same place all the way at the end of the screen, or moving my hand to press O on the keyboard. The small icon showing what need needs attention is nice, but I like to keep an eye on them in detail. I don't want to things get rough when I try to woohoo a nice sim! Haha.
Mad Poster
#88 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 8:28 PM
I like that they finally overhauled the old UI design that had remained largely unchanged since TS1. Redesigning core game functionality is kind of TS4's thing - call it reinventing the wheel if you're so inclined - but with a number of things I've found it to be totally justified. I wouldn't necessarily say that I prefer TS4's Build/Buy or CAS over TS2's or TS3's, but they've moved these things forward without really making them all that much better or worse.

insert signature here
Test Subject
#89 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 12:01 AM
Thread's question, cuz I'm lazy to make a kickstart myself:
1. Like it? Why? Liked TS4 with cool ones.
2. Dislike it? Why? TS1, because it HAS no aspiration.
3. TS1/TS2/TS3 vs TS4? TS4 all the way. Because I never saw CC in TS3 and TS2. No muscled bodies in TS2.
4. k, lol, bye?
Wow.
Field Researcher
#90 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 7:06 AM
I'm in agreement with the user that said The Sims 1 had the best UI. Change the colour of that to TS4 white, flatten out the buttons, remove the camera arrows that haven't been needed on the UI since going 3D in 2004, remove the mood meter as that also is an unnecessary element, and lastly change the font. Maybe also add a hide button somewhere and scaling options.

The Sims 4 UI is too distracting, despite trying to not be. The various UI elements are scattered across the screen leaving the user to have to look around for the simplest of functions taking away focus from the game play. The previous three iterations had all of their elements in the same proximity making navigation much quicker and easier.

We all have to look for answers somewhere. Some in big ol' books, others in big ol' bottles of whiskey.

— Kimberly Irion as Bonnie MacFarlane in Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Forum Resident
#91 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 2:49 PM
Nay.. I hate it.. I'm literally lost in that game. I still haven't figured out how to get the camera controls to angle where I want them to be. It's all over the place and it makes no sense. My eyes are used to looking to the bottom of the screen to find out all the information on my sims and game mechanics that I need. Not to mention I'm near sighted to the point I'm almost blind. So yeah, not feeling the U.I. to the Sims 4 at all.
Instructor
#92 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 4:34 AM
I don't like any of them but like some aspects of all of them...I feel like I'm waiting till I inexplicably become a billionaire just so I have the money and luxury to commission a Life/God Simulator that doesn't dissatisfy me in some small or large way.
Scholar
#93 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 5:28 AM
Nearly all of the UI and camera controls can be accessed by using the keyboard, I'm used to it, and haven't looked back, function keys for your STAT panels, even using the CTRL + 5-9 keys to get into those tricky corners quickly, response time is much faster with the keyboard than a mouse, of course it's impossible to play completely without a mouse, but you can be surprised that most options are only a key press away, and they real time savers!
Field Researcher
#94 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 7:29 AM
I am in wonder if it would be possible to have an adaptive UI. Basically an UI where the user can control it's colour scheme, re-arrange the various elements and choose the shapes and icons of the elements. Similar in degree to that of the Windows UI customization options but more advanced.

Oh I sure would love to see a game where even its own interface can be customized. You can customize most everything else in The Sims series, why not its UI too?

We all have to look for answers somewhere. Some in big ol' books, others in big ol' bottles of whiskey.

— Kimberly Irion as Bonnie MacFarlane in Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Mad Poster
#95 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 11:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DuskTrooper
remove the camera arrows that haven't been needed on the UI since going 3D in 2004,

Good god, yes. I've never even seen anybody use those.

insert signature here
Page 4 of 4