Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Apr 2018 at 10:25 PM
Default Need help getting back into the game
Hi guys!

So I want to play again but I heard that the last update to the Sims 3 (base game), the one where you can choose which expansion pack to play, was fucked up. I even heard that some people cannot launch their game.

So can I get a direct link to download the update before that, or any recent update that's not fucked up?

And after downloading it, what do I do so that Origin doesn't force download it?

Thank you in advance.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 10th Apr 2018 at 11:58 PM
I think your only option is to either buy the CDs, or buy the digital downloads from Steam, which come with 1.67, which is the last good update before the origin one you're talking about, which is 1.69.
Side note, if you do buy from Steam, wait for their summer sale because it'll be $5 for the base game and each expansion pack.
Theorist
#3 Old 11th Apr 2018 at 9:19 PM
Default .....
Doesn't the MTS Patch Downloader go up to 1.67 and leave it there?

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Site Helper
#4 Old 12th Apr 2018 at 3:04 AM
Yes, you can patch to 1.67 with the superpatcher link from MTS. But you would have to have an all-disc install with base game discs from before 2012 to prevent Origin from forcing you to patch 1.69 if it gets involved at any point. Or you would need to go with a platform like Steam or Mac that doesn't have the 1.69 patch. Of the two, Steam is HIGHLY recommended over Mac.

Then avoid Origin.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Apr 2018 at 3:28 AM
Thank you for your answers, everyone!
Scholar
#6 Old 12th Apr 2018 at 3:41 AM
I don't think my base game disc is pre-2012 because it does make me use Origin, but it doesn't make me use 1.69. It has me patch up to a certain point but I can deny the 1.69 update and then super patch to 1.67. It means I get nagged to update every time I launch the game, but again I can deny it. I reinstalled since 1.69 came out, so this does work for fresh installations.

Again, purely for disc versions.
Instructor
#7 Old 12th Apr 2018 at 3:54 PM
1.69??? I never heard about that. What does this give to the game? I have a disc from 2010 and it goes until 1.67, so I don't know.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 12th Apr 2018 at 10:11 PM
Nothing good, from what I hear. (I am on 1.67, thanks to Steam.)
Mad Poster
#9 Old 12th Apr 2018 at 10:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nat 619
I don't think my base game disc is pre-2012 because it does make me use Origin, but it doesn't make me use 1.69. It has me patch up to a certain point but I can deny the 1.69 update and then super patch to 1.67. It means I get nagged to update every time I launch the game, but again I can deny it. I reinstalled since 1.69 came out, so this does work for fresh installations.

Again, purely for disc versions.

Patch 1.69 was refreshed/released three times. It wasn't until late in January 2016 that the patch became mandatory for Origin and newer disc-based installations. If you have been able to install using the post-Sept 2012 discs and still avoid the Origin-delivered patch, I would say that was quite unusual (and fortunate) from what we have heard everyone else report.

Quote: Originally posted by LiliLiliLili
1.69??? I never heard about that. What does this give to the game? I have a disc from 2010 and it goes until 1.67, so I don't know.

Absolutely nothing. The patch is delivered by Origin only, not by way of the Launcher, and only changes the way in which the game starts up. If you don't use Origin, then you don't have it. The actual game files are exactly the same between patches 1.69 and 1.67 (and, in fact, 1.66), only the build numbers are different. Both patch levels, 1.67 and 1.69, are considered current for all intents and purposes.
Scholar
#10 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 12:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Patch 1.69 was refreshed/released three times. It wasn't until late in January 2016 that the patch became mandatory for Origin and newer disc-based installations. If you have been able to install using the post-Sept 2012 discs and still avoid the Origin-delivered patch, I would say that was quite unusual (and fortunate) from what we have heard everyone else report.

Well, that worried me, because this laptop won't last forever and a reinstallation is inevitable. So I decided to test it out on my other laptop. Now there's some other factors in play here, namely that Origin was already installed on this system (I play TS2 and TS4 as well), and I also carried out the installation and updates in offline mode. But... it worked! The version that the game installed was 1.42, and I then downloaded the super patcher for 1.67. Going back online with Origin, naturally I get this screen:

But I've been putting up with that for a couple of years now. And for final proof:

So unless any of the expansions (again, all on discs) would force this update, it seems you can get away without it. You'll still have to have Origin, of course, but it doesn't bother me.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 12:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nat 619
Well, that worried me, because this laptop won't last forever and a reinstallation is inevitable. So I decided to test it out on my other laptop. Now there's some other factors in play here, namely that Origin was already installed on this system (I play TS2 and TS4 as well), and I also carried out the installation and updates in offline mode. But... it worked! The version that the game installed was 1.42, and I then downloaded the super patcher for 1.67.
So unless any of the expansions (again, all on discs) would force this update, it seems you can get away without it. You'll still have to have Origin, of course, but it doesn't bother me.

The EP/SP discs shouldn't do that no matter when they were made, or so we have been led to believe. But patch 1.42 was released in October 2012. I suspect you have a base game disc that was manufactured just in time to let you get away with these shenanigans...coughs...no wait sorry, I mean, that allows you to install the game the way in which you prefer. I'm not so sure that everyone on the later produced base game discs would be so fortunate. But to be fair, I don't even have a disc install as mine was all Origin until I got fed up with the whole system and switched over to Steam, so can only go by what players report.

We do know that if the player installs the much older EA Download Manager (EADM) if given the choice, that will do everything it can to update itself to Origin as the EADM was Origin's predecessor. We always advise players trying to stay on 1.67 to not accept the EADM part of the install, if they can and in case that's relevant at all.
Scholar
#12 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 1:46 AM
That's fair; I wasn't sure how many different versions of the base game they've released. I got it end of 2012/early 2013ish. On Amazon I only see the 2009 and the 2012 versions, but I'm in the UK so it might be different elsewhere? Sounds like I'm lucky, at any rate.