Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#876 Old 5th Jan 2016 at 12:29 AM
And i started to play challenge today and i finished unversity and maxed Military career!!!

I have a question:If both of parents working,can nanny to come to look on todler for 2-3 hours?
Advertisement
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#877 Old 5th Jan 2016 at 3:57 PM
Nope, no nanny for a long time, not till you lift Intelligence.

Quote:
Sims may not hire or befriend Service Sims (NPCs).
Field Researcher
#878 Old 5th Jan 2016 at 4:12 PM Last edited by DitzyEkko : 6th Jan 2016 at 3:27 PM.
Default Draken Apocalypse
HOPELESSNESS, CULINARY, PET SERVICE LIFTED

Well Flight Officer Marsala has her priorities all out of wack. She goes into depression when her book doesn't sell well. She should just be glad to have something to read now.

Max's ghost has started haunting and teenage Tesla is the 1st to encounter him.

Crystal and Tesla are both sick with the flu again because they won't stay away from the roaches. In order to keep Marsala alive, I keep her confined to the top level of the house when Crystal is roaming around.

She doesn't seem too interested in marrying or bringing forth the next generation, so I force her to make nice with walk-by Bruce Rauscher until he moves in.

With the flu rampant, Marsala and Bruce will need to have a child as soon as her work schedule allows. Right now she has the weekends off but that could change with a promotion.

Crystal does succumb to her illness at 56 years old and 20yr old Tesla is able to recover with plenty of rest.

Bruce was in the culinary career track when he moved in and has pitiful skills but I'll let him keep his job and just skill him up in the meantime. Eventually he will need to get a R2 career. Hopefully Marsala and Tesla will have the R1 restrictions lifted in the next couple decades (2 sim weeks)

I was gonna go for Law so Tesla could move out but with Crystal's urn in the middle of our living space, Paranormal is looking more and more appealing.

Hopefully the next update has promotions, babies, and R1 restrictions lifted #justkeepsimming
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#879 Old 5th Jan 2016 at 5:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
Nope, no nanny for a long time, not till you lift Intelligence.

Then what to do?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#880 Old 5th Jan 2016 at 7:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MasterBoy269
Then what to do?
Either the parents' job schedules need to be staggered so that the toddler isn't left at home alone, or one of the parents needs to forever quit the job track they are in. You didn't let Mom take maternity leave did you? That is disallowed as well. If you did that, then Mom needs to be the one to quit her job right now. (She should have quit when she was pregnant.) Then you will be back on track with the challenge. It is supposed to be very hard early on, especially with having kids.
Lab Assistant
#881 Old 5th Jan 2016 at 8:47 PM
Either the parents' job schedules need to be staggered so that the toddler isn't left at home alone, or one of the parents needs to forever quit the job track they are in. You didn't let Mom take maternity leave did you? That is disallowed as well. If you did that, then Mom needs to be the one to quit her job right now. (She should have quit when she was pregnant.) Then you will be back on track with the challenge. It is supposed to be very hard early on, especially with having kids.

I didnt,luckily she became pregnant again
(I have ACR,so that was suprise)
Field Researcher
#882 Old 5th Jan 2016 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ttowntallyho
My founder's first wife died of food poisoning at level 8 in medical, and the second died of a cold at level 7 in culinary. My founder (who lifted military) died of the flu and now his only son, who is level 9 in Medical came home sick with the flu. My founder's third wife lifted Culinary and is a family sim, but she's an elder so she can't make the comfort soup. When the heir came home sick, he immediately called his sweetheart and they got married. She's pregnant and is staying as far from him as possible! If he dies, I still have a chance to complete the challenge.

Geez you've had a tough time. I'm impressed that you're powering through

Check out my Apocalypse Challenge attempt @ ditzyekko.blogspot.com
Test Subject
#883 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 2:42 AM
I'm so glad this thread is still active, I've spent the last few days looking for mods and custom content to fit this challenge, and I'm almost ready to get started!

I'll post more once I've got things up and running, but I thought it would be fun to do a little story set up, and mention the twist I'm adding to my attempt at the apocalypse challenge. This takes up a lot of room, so I'm sorry! Once I figure out how to put this under a cut, I will. Or I might post it elsewhere and edit this to just have a link to it instead!

---
Fearn Mitchell, daughter of Thomas & Emma Mitchell. Until recently, the three of them lived in the town of Ellewood, however Fearn is moving away to university. Despite moving into the smallest dorm, Fearn discovers that 'the boy in the room next door' is from Ilforest, which is just downtown from her hometown of Ellewood. The university isn't too far away, so it isn't much of a coincidence, but for homesick Fearn, Lee Webber is like a little piece of home, and the two hit it off right away. One morning, Fearn wakes up overwhelmed with dread, and an urge to call her dad.

"Fearn, I'm so sorry... I- I can't talk right now, last night. Something happened last night... I don't really know how to explain. It's your mother, she... just promise me you'll stay safe love, promise me-"

She hears weird groaning, followed by her dad's screaming, and the call suddenly cuts off. Grabbing her closest belongings, she's quickly out of the door and on her way back to Ellewood.

Arriving at a place she hardly recognises as home, it only takes a few moments for her to turn and run... she may have loved her parents, but she'd also seen enough zombie movies to know those things stumbling towards her were no longer her parents. Running through the streets aimlessly, she's stopped by a miltary vehicle. A military vehicle containing a very angry looking teenager*. He looks far too young to driving at all, let alone be in the military, but he's in uniform and something about the way he speaks to her lets her know how important it is to listen. He orders her into the vehicle and asks her what on earth she thought she was doing outside unprotected. Realising she had no idea, he told her about the nuclear power plant failures, and how it wasn't safe to be outdoors. That the whole area is in military lockdown, even outlying areas that have yet to be noticeably affected**.

"It's not safe out here, the air, the light. It's toxic. Spend too long in it and you could die."
"Or worse."
"Worse?"
"Yeah. Zombies, right?"
"Zombies? This is not time for jokes miss, there ain't no zombies."

The boy pulls up outside an abandoned house next to the unused railway line. Fearn vaguely remembers breaking in there as a child with her friends and exploring the broken down rooms, tearing at the peeling wall paper and smashing the already broken bricks.

"It's not ideal, but you should be safe here. I'll come and pick you up tomorrow and take you to one of the bases if you'd like? Military, Medical, or food supplies, they all need all the help they can get, just let me know which you want me to drive you to."

And with that, he drives away, leaving Fearn to her cold, dark new home, and an important decision to make. She goes to call Lee and realised her signal is 'unavailable'. Curling up miserably on her 'new' uncomfortably hard bed and wonders what tomorrow will bring. She suddenly realises she never even learnt the boys name. She should have at least said thank you to him.

---

So this is officially the most backstory my sims have ever had! The twist here is that both Fearn and Lee are my playable characters. My first roll of doubles will set Fearn off phoning her dad and rushing home, after which I'll keep playing Lee at uni, becoming increasingly more worried about his missing girlfriend, until I roll doubles again and he gets too concerned and rushed home, or until he graduates. At which point he will realise access to Ellewood is now restricted, and he has to stay downtown in Ilforest. Travel between the main hood and the downtown section will not be permitted until all restrictions for both towns have been lifted, and Fearns family will only lift restrictions in Ellewood, and Lee in Ilforest, if that makes sense? So it's essentially like playing two simultaneous apocalypse challenges, with a tragic 'torn apart lovers' backstory. Of course they will both have to find alternate spouses, because they'll never be able to meet again... I'm thinking once all the restrictions are lifted for both towns, their great(x?) grandchildren might fall in love, and complete the story nicely

*The military teen who takes her to the lot will obviously have to be imagined, but I thought it was a nice explanation as to how she got past the travelling restrictions to do her initial visit to the food place to get her job. I'm also thinking that when it comes time for her to get a spouse, she will chat someone on the military base up, and he will become her husband and try to lift military. If I get to that point, he'll be moving in as a new adult, while she's starting to get towards elder, so story wise the military teen could be her future husband

**the uni is in the quarantine area, which is why she could get home. It's not visibly affecting that area yet though, and their trying to keep it quiet because they don't want to create panic. There's going to be a mass freak out at the end of semester when the sims from further away are told they're actually in quarantine and not allowed to leave!

***side story: Emma, Fearn's mum, died just before the nuclear meltdown, and her husband Thomas tried to resurrect her. Unfortunately, he does this at the exact same things start going kaboom, and so things go very very wrong with the resurrection. Thomas gets infected very quickly, but at the moment they're the only two zombies, and for now Fearn is actually the only one who knows that this nuclear apocalypse has zombies ON TOP of everything else.
Forum Resident
#884 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 6:35 AM
The 'No Nanny' problem was neatly solved for me when the father was fired for too often missing work. So, Kennedy will now be a 'stay at home Dad' !

Perhaps I ought to introduce my challenge family.

My founder, Pearl Essent, until she graduated from high school had been bounced from one foster home to another in Prosperity ( a community that was lived up to its name). Pearl became used to being minimally fed, housed and clothed while being largely ignored. She worked hard to earn scholarships making it possible to attend University where she formed close friendships. Pearl, being a serious Sim, chose Philosophy as her major and set her heart on a culinary career.

The disaster happened the day following Pearl's graduation. Prosperity looked nothing like the hometown she had left. Gone were the shady trees, green lawns, gardens, pleasant parks, prosperous shops and well kept homes. She was offered the choice of being taken to one of several distant communal safe shelters or remaining. To remain Pearl needed to agree to a set of harsh rules that her children and grandchildren must also abide by. It is believed that this is the only way to restore civilization as it had been.

Her assignment is to lift Culinary restrictions. During the first few years Pearl suffered from loneliness, boredom and hunger.
Eventually, when the Control Council judged her to be one whom can be trusted, Pearl was introduced to the partner chosen for her, Kennedy Cox. As the husband of a founder Kennedy was required to change his surname to that of Pearls.

Less than a year later Mr. and Mrs. Essent fulfilled their obligation to begin producing children who will be properly trained to take part in the restoration effort.

Kennedy was showing real promise towards reaching the top of a Slacker career when he was fired. Which is just as well seeing how he feared leaving the founder's compound and preferred being at home. Besides, someone must mind the baby.
Lab Assistant
#885 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 9:04 AM
Wooho!My heiress became Chief of Staff and she finished First part of the Apocalypse!

Harry Klondike(founder)-General
Tracy Klondike-Celebrity Chef
Otis the dog-Pet chop
Hellena Futa(Klondike)-Chief of the staff

Now elder dog will be finally clean
Field Researcher
#886 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 3:25 PM
Default Draken Apocalypse: Liberty and Justice for All
I'm gonna admit that the 1st stages of this challenge were hard but NOTHING is as hard as raising TERRIBLE TWINS while trying to skill and not having enough beds for everyone.

UNLOCKED HOPELESSNESS, CULINARY & PET SERVICE

Marsala and Bruce become pregnant just before she heads to work on Friday. I took a risk because she could've been promoted that night and the pregnancy might have not been well planned. But luckily she still had the weekend off and was able to safely deliver twin daughters and keep her job.

Liberty and Justice were so named because their mom is in the military career track and I found the names to be an inspiration for her troops and the people of Strangetown.

Tesla has her :lovestruc 1st kiss :lovestruc with Blair Mace and ages up unhappily somehow. I think she wanted to go to college. BooHoo She finds a job in the medical field and is promoted very VERY quickly. I think 4 promotions in one 24 hour period. Then her job requirements slow her down a bit.

For a while Bruce keeps his job as a level 3 food service worker but eventually he is forced to stay home to care for the children while the women work.

Bruce is overwhelmed by the very demanding toddlers (I couldn't even get a huggle picture because they were so hard to take care of)

FINALLY the twins aged up and have been much more pleasant. They read their mother and father's published novels and study the 3 bookcase skills inbetween washing their hands and eating leftovers that have been stored up just for this occasion.

Astronaut Marsala is 1 promotion (and 1 friend) away from GENERAL and Tesla is maybe 3 or 4 from CHIEF OF STAFF.

Once Marsala can stay home with the kids, Bruce will be able to pursue ARCHITECTURE, BUSINESS, EDUCATION, or LAW. Those are my top picks for restriction level 3.

Bring on the promotions and teenagers. NO MORE BABIES PLEASE #justkeepsimming
retired moderator
Original Poster
#887 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 4:05 PM
Wooho!My heiress became Chief of Staff and she finished First part of the Apocalypse!
Did you do it without anyone missing work, or taking days off to take care of the kids. I'm concerned that Tracy might have broken the rule. She is not allowed to go back to her original job if she had to take a day off while pregnant or to stay home with the baby.

@DitzyEkko, Liberty and her teeth are insanely cute.

@jsfernley, to do hide buttons it is the [ spoiler ] [/ spoiler ] tag or [ infobutton ] [/ infobutton ] tag. (Without the spaces, of course.) Put an = after infobutton to add words into your button.
Lab Assistant
#888 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 4:32 PM
So i didnt finished culinary?

But i have full fridge of Turkey and hamburgers and salat

And she is celebrity chef and elder,so im confuzed now :/

Luckily Hellena's husband have job in culinaru lvl 8 so i can to finish it(again)

And i have another question,can Hellena to quit medicine to she can to be home mother and future home aunt?And she reached a top of Medicine
Lab Assistant
#889 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 6:05 PM
And I really finished 1st level of Challenge!!!

Harry Klondike-General
Tracy Klondike-Celebrity Chef(broken rule so not lifted)
Hellena Futa(Klondike)-Chief of Staff
Otis the lazy Dog-Pet Chop
Alvin Futa-Celebriy Chef
retired moderator
Original Poster
#890 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 6:30 PM
So i didnt finished culinary?
But i have full fridge of Turkey and hamburgers and salat
And she is celebrity chef and elder,so im confuzed now :/
Luckily Hellena's husband have job in culinaru lvl 8 so i can to finish it(again)
And i have another question,can Hellena to quit medicine to she can to be home mother and future home aunt?And she reached a top of Medicine

You never answered my question. Did the mom miss work on any day? If she did, she must quit (not retire) and you have to do Culinary again. (You may use Hellena's husband.)
You may keep your fridge and leftovers.
Yes, Hellena may quit medicine and be the home mother/aunt now. Having a stay-at-home mom/dad/aunt is the recommended method for doing this challenge until you can hire a nanny. Good job on getting her to the top!
Lab Assistant
#891 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 6:46 PM
You never answered my question. Did the mom miss work on any day? If she did, she must quit (not retire) and you have to do Culinary again.

Well she just stayed from work for 3 hours and i sent her to work when Harry was back from work.And how to quit her job when she is untouchable?
And you can to see,Alvin(Hellena's husband) finished Culinary again,that was easy because i skilled him to the max when he was free from work days.
Forum Resident
#892 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 10:51 PM
@DitzyEkko you are doing quite well with this! I've yet to lift the first restriction!
@MasterBoy269 My founder, Pearl, is at long last very near to lifting Culinary. I am amazed at how your Alvin was able to do this so quickly! What has proved a complicating factor for Pearl is the amount of friends required to achieve that final promotion. She is just now qualified and hopefully will level up on her next work day.

@Phaenoh, I copied and pasted all of your guidelines (onto WordPad) to reread and refer to. I do enjoy working a good puzzle!

I need to look again at the rules. The most difficult needs to fill (even a little) are Fun and keeping children clean right now. While (I hope) it is OK to bathe infants; toddlers can have only a diaper change and all children can do is to wash their hands -which does very little towards cleanliness.

What I am trying to work out is what can adults, toddlers and children do for fun before any of the restrictions are lifted?

And, I do have the sponge bath for all mod (hack?), however, this apparently does not apply to children.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#893 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 11:20 PM
Well she just stayed from work for 3 hours and i sent her to work when Harry was back from work.And how to quit her job when she is untouchable?
And you can to see,Alvin(Hellena's husband) finished Culinary again,that was easy because i skilled him to the max when he was free from work days.

It sounds like you did not break the rule. If the boss didn't fire you for being late, you survived it. You do not need to have her quit.

@teafortwo, my kids played with newspaper airplanes A LOT, they also tormented each other. It wasn't a happy time for my family.
Lab Assistant
#894 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 11:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by teafortwo
@MasterBoy269 My founder, Pearl, is at long last very near to lifting Culinary. I am amazed at how your Alvin was able to do this so quickly! What has proved a complicating factor for Pearl is the amount of friends required to achieve that final promotion. She is just now qualified and hopefully will level up on her next work day.

Alvin was lvl 8 in culinary so i just added him some skills and there he is,a second Celebrity Chef!!!
Lab Assistant
#895 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 11:23 PM
It sounds like you did not break the rule. If the boss didn't fire you for being late, you survived it. You do not need to have her quit.

She didnt got fired,she got promotion!!!
Lab Assistant
#896 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 11:55 PM
I see to everyone doing updates from their challenges so and i will.

Hellena ha reached top of the Medicine career and "finished" the 1st Chapter in challenge.
Also she got married with Alvin Futa who was in culinary lvl 8(then was happen a mistake with culinary lifting xD)
Harry and Tracy was dancing all the elderhood when they was in good mode
Penelope grown up in beautiful woman and got job in Architecture as Drafts(wo)man,becase she had a teen job(idk why i gave her a job...)
Otis the dog has passed on at age 34
Harry the founderer has passed on with age 67
Hellena got beautiful boy Leon and a simhour later she became pregnant again(ACR)
Penelope has married with mom's co worker Warlyon Klondike(Mennon)
she needed to get 3 promotions to she can to become pregnant(Architecture have really complicate shelude of free days,lvl 9 had free friday and weekend)

Next time that updates will be much better

Family Members:
Harry Klondike-Military lvl10(deceased)
Tracy Klondike-Culinary lvl10
Otis the dog-Pet Security-lvl4(deceased)
Hellena Futa(klondike)-Medicine lvl10/quited/
Penelope Klondike-Architecture lvl9/pregnant/
Alvin Futa-Culinary lvl10/quited/,Business lvl 6
Leon Futa-the todler
Warlyon Klondike(Mennon)-Law lvl3
Henry Futa-the baby,or Granny's boy
Forum Resident
#897 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 12:17 AM
@teafortwo, my kids played with newspaper airplanes A LOT, they also tormented each other. It wasn't a happy time for my family.

Thank you :-) I forgot about the paper airplanes. It looks like my founding couple will have just the one child, Ruby, seeing how Pearl will soon become an elder. Ruby's main source of fun as a toddler was splashing in puddles and her favorite (and only) toy was the toilet bowl !

Not a happy time for my family either, yet, they hold onto the hope of life become at least a little easier. What helps is that I am in no hurry - enjoying the little things and getting to really know my sims.
Field Researcher
#898 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 4:47 AM
LIFTED HOPELESSNESS, CULINARY, and SERVICE PET

It has been FOREVER since someone made it to the top of their career. Seriously, its only happened once when founder Max unlocked CULINARY and HOPELESSNESS.

Marsala has finally been promoted to General, her LTW and lifting the MILITARY RESTRICTIONS.

General Marsala quits her job so that her fiance Bruce can work toward his LTW Business Tycoon.

The twins age into beautiful teenagers: Liberty (fortune, LTW earn $100,000) and Justice (popularity, LTW Space Pirate)

The girls are finally able to clean themselves well enough (in the sinks, of course) to allow a little bit of fun but they are still very dissatisfied with the world they've been born into.

Dr Tesla Draken faces one set back after another making simple mistakes at work. She is lucky to keep her job but she does lose skills and eventually she has a mental breakdown. If she could just keep it together, she only needs one more promotion to become the Chief of Staff and Strangetown Memorial.

I need a break because Tesla's situation is frustrating. She is the only thing keeping me from Restriction Level 2!!

#justkeepsimming
Screenshots

Lab Assistant
#899 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 1:02 PM
I found a bug with chance cards:Penelope was unlucky there and lost pay for the day and actually I lost 200K simloens(all simloens from my household) but her salary is 1.122 simloens
Field Researcher
#900 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 10:14 PM Last edited by DitzyEkko : 8th Jan 2016 at 3:43 AM.
Tesla has finally been promoted to Chief of Staff!!

Restrictions Lifted
Deceased Maximous - Hopelessness & Culinary
Deceased Kim - Pet Security
Deceased Crystal - Science (R2)
Elder Marsala - Military
Elder Tesla - Medical
Elder Bruce - Business (R2)

Careers Held Currently
Elder Marsala - Medical (just to get her out of the house, already unlocked by her sister)
Elder Bruce - Business (he's an uncontrollable 'foggy' elder so I can't make him quit)
Elder Tesla - Adventurer (not for unlocking, just for LTW)
Adult Liberty - working on Architecture
Adult Justice - working on Law

The twins need to move in a man to care for their future children since babies, toddlers, and children cannot be left with 'foggy' elders (and I have 3 foggy elders)
Screenshots

Page 36 of 43