Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jul 2007 at 6:59 AM
Default Seasons compatible trees?
I´ve not done any meshing for some months and now with Seasons out, I wanted to recreate my plants to work with seasons.
The problem is that when I clone a tree with SimPE, I don´t get the textures for autumn and winter. Did anyone already find out how to get them?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bienchen83
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 12th Jul 2007 at 1:39 PM
I was thinking about making some nice big seasons trees. because the trees that they got on the game stink. THANKS.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#3 Old 12th Jul 2007 at 3:02 PM
Ergh... I keep promising to write this up as a proper tutorial and then I keep getting distracted! I'm really sorry! Here's the quick-and-dirty version that I've been passing around in the mean time:

1. Select a tree to clone which has the right set of states. If you want a tree which drops leaves for winter, choose one which drops leaves for winter. If you want an evergreen, choose an evergreen. It'll save you heaps of hassle.

2. Clone the tree, and when the Scenegraph rename wizard comes up, try to match the new name to the original name as closely as possible. Don't worry if you can't get the capitalization quite right, just try to make sure that the text matches for the CRES.

3. Open the cres file in your package, then copy all of the text before the _cres. Paste this somewhere safe, you'll need it in a minute.

4. Delete all the files in your package with the following types: CRES, SHPE, TXTR, TXMT, GMNC, GMDC.

5. Open the Finder window, select "in Namemaps" for the find type, "Begins with" for the match type, then paste the text you copied earlier into the ResourceName field and hit start. It can take several minutes to complete the search.

6. When it is done, go through each of the found files, double click on them to open the file, then right click on the file name in the resource list and select "extract". (Hint - you can do this for multiple files in the same package in a single go. That saves a fair amount of time, just make sure you get them all). Save them all to a temporary space.

7. Once all the files are saved, import them all back into your clone.

8. Select tools > fix integrity, then give them a more sensible name (like the ones you would normally use). This should rename all the newly imported files and fix their TGI numbers.

Your clone should now be fixed, but to make certain, open each of the GMDCs in turn and preview them. If any of them fail, you may need to manually go and reconnect the scenegraph for that state. (You shouldn't need to do this in most cases, so long as you matched the text correctly in step two).

You should be able to tell which season is which from the textures/meshes in the files. The lod90 files are for the long distance views (neighbourhood view, next door etc) and as such should be much lower poly and use smaller preview images wherever possible.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Jul 2007 at 9:57 PM
wow, it would have been too lovely if Maxis made the trees in a way that they can be cloned easily.
Thanks for the explanation, I hope I´ll manage to follow your instructions. Anyway, could you inform me when the tutorial comes out (just in case I don´t have finished my trees by then)?

Thank you very much for your help!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Jul 2007 at 8:51 AM
I took the treejapanesemaple, but I´m now wondering whether I have to import all of these files. Some seem to be only connected to the purple recolor; and I don´t know what the "holiday" files mean. Could these be necessary for the coming expansion pack?
Field Researcher
#6 Old 15th Jul 2007 at 1:14 AM
without checking, my guess for the holiday files would be that they are the Christmms Decorated Japanese maple that came with Happy Holidays (Holiday SP, Base+ extras or original pack). Anything that came with those packs is considered "Base Game" objects so they (regular tree & Xmasdeco) may even be linked somehow.

Alex aka Simaddict99
you can find more of my creations at: www.thesimsresource.com/artists/simaddict99/
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#7 Old 15th Jul 2007 at 1:53 AM
As far as I understand, if you delete a complete set of cres/gmdc/gmnd etc from the game (ie, all the "holiday" ones, then that state just won't be in the game. So yes, if you're fairly sure it's not needed then you can delete it. Might be worth putting them all in first, checking that it works, then deleting the excess ones to be on the safe side though!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Jul 2007 at 8:21 AM
Okay, thanks for your support, Echo and simaddict.
I would have tried out whether those files are really needed anyway before deleting them. I was just thinking about how to keep the package a bit smaller.
Test Subject
#9 Old 3rd Aug 2007 at 7:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
Ergh... I keep promising to write this up as a proper tutorial and then I keep getting distracted! I'm really sorry! Here's the quick-and-dirty version that I've been passing around in the mean time:

This is Stupid Question du jour, but I've searched and read tutorials and I guess I'm missing something really obvious. But what if I just want to recolour a Seasons tree? When I use Object Workshop it seems to only be finding one mesh, or else I'm only connecting the recolours to one mesh. I don't necessarily want to clone a tree (although maybe that's what I should do) just recolour the EasyShade Bay Tree.

Thanks for any help -

AuK
Inventor
#10 Old 28th May 2008 at 7:37 PM
I have another question, and hopefully someone still checks this thread - if I want to then use the respository method, pointing back at the base tree - in this case the treewillow, would I make the material definition - willow-treewillowswx06_layeredwillowleavesswx06lod90_foliagelight ? - well, for one of the shpe files, anyway - I just want to double check on my somewhat rusty nomenclature.

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Test Subject
#11 Old 5th Jun 2008 at 6:04 AM
Can I use this method to make new plants that sims can grow in the gardening plots?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#12 Old 5th Jun 2008 at 10:17 AM
huddyyeo - Unfortunately not. Seasons trees are just normal trees with an unusual arrangement of textures, so it's just a matter of adding those extra bits. The gardening plots are a special type of object which has hard-coded references to the types of plants it can grow.

If you want to create new crops like that, your best option is to clone the plot itself and hack that. It won't work quite the same way though.
Test Subject
#13 Old 17th Jul 2008 at 3:42 PM
The OP is talking about meshing a tree, but do I use this method to just recolor the deciduous trees? I have them flashing blue and I would love to fix them. Also there is a Maxis recolor bush that does the same thing even though it doesn't drop leaves.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#14 Old 6th Dec 2008 at 2:36 PM
^
I am wondering the same thing, I have some recolors for my new project, and i don't want the recolors to go to waste.

Is there a way to do this without making a whole new tree?