Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#426 Old 22nd Apr 2008 at 6:12 PM
(((ooc: Seiza - No, no, I didn't mean too critisize! I didn't mean for Octavien to be perfectly flawless either, and I know the Duc has a good eye for details. So you don't have to change anything. I just imagined Octavien's expression being less... deer-caught-in-the-headlight-ish. But then again, he IS very well aware that his every move is being judged, so I guess it's not that far fetched for Dimitri to pick up on it, no matter how much or little it shows.
And perhaps just a few could stand, cuz I mean, there are those that do support him... no? They may not be many, but not all would be out to embarrass and challenge him... right...?
Either way, I'll go with flow. )))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#427 Old 22nd Apr 2008 at 6:29 PM
((No prob, Atropa, that makes sense! I've changed it so that not the entire room is plotting against him, I think I might've let myself be TOO dramatic with that bit. Oh, rats! I didn't mean that Octavien had that deer-caught-in-headlights look, more like he looked noticeably on the edge ("noticeably" to Dimitri, anyway). So I've changed that wording too, hope it reflects that better.

Fay, thanks, misery loves company. T_T I'm gonna leave the laptop as it is for now, since I don't wanna risk busting it completely when my exams are next week and all my revision notes are in here. But after that, I'm gonna have to figure out if it will be able to run TS2 anymore >_<

slytherin-girl, you could always have it so that Marie made a reply before Josephine arrived. A shame to delete what's been written!))
Scholar
#428 Old 22nd Apr 2008 at 7:14 PM
(((OOC I just edited it a bit and added some to the end. I had to delete most of the middle but it still worked. And I feel the laptop pain guys. My old one was AWFUL for playing the sims. But I have a MAC now so I can't play it on here. I play mine on my home PC :P)))

You can call me Robyn, tis my name after all
SixWordStories
Test Subject
#429 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 2:21 AM
((Okay, unless I missed something, I you guys are still accepting apps... right?))

Name: (Miss) Padme Castilla

Title: Untitled

Bio:

Padme grew up a servant, in a household similar to this one. She observed the ways of the cunning, and believed she would be one of them some day. Though she was young, her observant ways can be useful.

Her parents died when she was young from a sickness, but she was taken in time to an Abbey where she was later adopted and put to work (much like Cinderella without the adoption part). When she was 18, Padme was able to buy her freedom and quickly moved into a household like the one she grew up in, as a free woman.

Picture:

#430 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 6:59 AM
((We certainly are, in about 36 hours morning will be called, in a new thread. And unless you have any severe applications Padme will be free to enter the court. That is an official time keeping reminder ))
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#431 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 8:40 AM
Default Octavien w/ Dimitri & Juliet in the Blue Salon
(((ooc: Elektra - Indeed we are! Welcome! One question though: is she a servant at court, or...? Sorry if I'm being dense.

Also, sorry for being so fussy. I just recently really lost my grip of Octavien and his personality, and now I think I found it again, so maybe I'm being just a tad over-protective. )))

If Octavien had been aware of the problems his lack of "proper breeding" might bring before, moving through the small crowd in the Blue Salon, he could feel them practically hailing over him. Judging by the look in the eyes of the other courtiers - some watching the young widower with heartfelt empathy or pity, and others with something bordering on disdain - it would seem that half the court was expecting him to fail this first and ultimate test, and the other half wanting him to. He got the feeling that a few of them had not even come to honor Adalita's memory, but to cooly assess the Prince, and see if he would hold up in this most trying of times, or if he would fall flat on his face. And as he glanced around, it appeared that some were most intent on helping things along, by remaining in their seats; a sure sign that they did not recognize him as royalty. Prince or not.

He hadn't heard what rumours were being whispered lately, save for those concerning Adalita's suspected infidelity with a certain Duc, the very day after her own wedding. But he was no fool, and thus not ignorant to the fact that there was sure to be at least one theory that he had married her only for her title, her power and her wealth, and that she had married him only because he had managed to trick her somehow, either by making her believe he really did love her, or by using some other dirty method.
Looking at it objectively, even though it was not true, how could he blame those that believed such was the case? Adalita hadn't exactly made herself known for having a good sense of judgement.
Ironically, when it came to men, the court didn't even know the half of it. Unlike Octavien, they didn't know that she had been to bed with Silvius even before her marriage to Octavien (though considering Silvius' reputation, again there was bound to be suspicions), and that she had gotten herself pregnant. And even Octavien didn't know the child had not even been Silvius', but that she had bedded yet another man long before she had allowed Silvius to take her into his arms.

Had the court known, the theory of Octavien tricking the naive and gullible, and, quite frankly, morally loose Adalita into marrying him, would have passed the stage of being just a rumour, and instead manifested itself as open accusations. Though at the same time, the few courtiers that did not crave scandals like common people craved food, would perhaps have recognized the swift need for a groom with a reputation less sordid than Duc Peitou-Charentes.

Not that it mattered now. Things were what they were, and it was those he had to focus on. Not all the 'if's and 'but's that had not made it into reality.

First on the agenda, was keeping his dignity, which would be no easy task, with a large portion of the court currently and openly defying him. Nor was it made easier by the fact that no matter how unsettling that was, there was one thing that added to his self-consciousness tenfold; the Duc d'Lorraine. As he approached the table from which the Duc and Juliet had just risen, Octavien kept his gaze firmly on the two of them for the most part, straying only momentarily to offer the others that had risen in his honor a cordial nod, and exchanging a look with César who flashed him a faint but highly encouraging smile, but dignifying none of those that remained seated with as much as a glance. Though he did register their positions in the corner of his eyes, in order to have his gaze sweep across them later, and memorize exactly who they were.

Thus, with his gaze locking mostly with Dimitri's, he could feel the older man judging his every move as well. Granted, he did not seem as intent on disliking what he saw as some of the other courtiers - at least not disliking it just for the sake of disliking it - but that only added to Octavien's burden, as shrugging off ill intent was difficult but not impossible, whereas just and reasonable judgement was. At least to someone who was willing to admit they were not perfect. And Octavien was painfully aware of that fact.

"Good Evening your Highness," Isabella's mother greeted him once he came to a halt. "I do hope you are not fairing too badly this evening."

While speaking, she gave a slight bow, and was joined by the Duc in doing so, the two of them managing quite well to undo a large portion on the damage the other courtiers had done, and even lecture them, in an indirect, roundabout way.

"Good evening, Your Highness", Dimitri greeted him as well. "Allow me to introduce to you the gracious Juliet de Margoles, Duchesse of Champagne and mother of Her Majesty the Queen. We were just discussing the Queen's return home, and would be honoured if you'll join us until His Majesty arrives."

This introduction presented Octavien with yet another dilemma, as he was not completely sure of who he should greet first. He, just like everyone, knew one was supposed to greet people in the order of rank. But between the Duc and the Duchesse, who outanked who? Did the Duc outrank the Duchesse because he was a man, or did the Duchesse outrank the Duc because she was the mother of royalty?

"Duchesse de Margoles", he said and gave yet another cordial and somber nod, having made his decision in a split second, basing it on how blood ties tended to play a great part in similar situation, and how it was to her he was being introduced. "Duc d'Lorraine."

Both having been properly greeted, he looked at Juliet, with a faint, joyless smile on his lips, in recognition of her kind words.

"I hope you will forgive me my... unintended aloofness earlier, in the chapel", he said. "I have not been myself since Adalita was taken ill."

How true it was. He really hadn't been feeling like his usual self in days. Regardless of the reasons. Though in all fairness, Adalita's condition had been one of the largest ones, if not the largest. They may not have been the friends he'd hoped they'd be, and he might've been angry with her. But he was not cold. He had indeed cared.

"Thank you, Duc d'Lorraine", he then said, accepting Dimitri's offer to join him and Juliet, and as they sat down, he added; "The Queen will be missed indeed. She has been most gracious and kind, and offered quite alot of advice that I have found to be truly invaluable. I am, however, certain that the country air will do her a world of good, and that we will soon have the pleasure of her presence here at court again."

(((ooc: I'm sorry, I know the last part stinks, but I've been staring at if for almost an hour now, and it's seriously the best I can do right now. I don't want him to shower Isabella with flattering adjectives, cuz it'll make him sound so fake, and I couldn't come up with anything else, so... Meh.
Also, I have no idea what would be the proper way for him to accept Dimitri's offer, so could we please just pretend that he didn't mess up all that much?

*edit* Okay, I added a bit to the last line. Still stinks, but hopefully not as much. )))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Field Researcher
#432 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 8:56 AM
((Welcome, Elektra! Padme's story is bound to be interesting-- I can't imagine it'd be easy to buy your freedom even in this century.

Eh, no worries about the formalities, Atropa. I cringe every time Dimitri has to introduce/welcome someone to the palace. I've never even watched a movie in this time period so I can't copy off those. *makes a face*

Post to follow asap.))
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#433 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 9:08 AM
(((ooc: I'm a sucker for movies covering anything between the dark ages and late 18th century, and I still can't copy. Late 17th century is kind of a rare era in movies though, isn't it? I watched one about late 17th century Spain the other night ('Alatriste' with Viggo Mortensen), but the whole damn movie was in Spanish, so... No help there! *lol*

Ghanima & slytherin - Are you guys waiting for me? *unsure* Cuz you don't have to feel you have to, considering it's the ladies talking right now. César is pretty much just watching in horror at this point. Nah, j/k. Guess he might try to interject, but if I'm too slow, don't let me hold you back.)))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Field Researcher
#434 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 10:07 AM
Default Dimitri, Octavien & Juliet - Blue Salon
((The only movie I know from this age is the Three Musketeers. XD And that's probably from the wrong era too.

slytherin-girl-- ah, I so wanted to bring a desktop PC to uni just for my TS2 needs! But the thought of moving it from hostel to hostel was... :Puppy: ))

_____

Dimitri checked off something else on his mental list, but this time it was in personal approval. After all, one could not ignore a lady—especially a lady such as the Duchesse—in one’s greeting. Now, if Octavien had to choose between multiple ladies of overlapping titles from several different countries, each with its own set of ranks, using obscure names that gave no indication as to their place in the home hierarchy…

That would have been an amusing challenge.

“The Queen will be missed indeed. She has been most gracious and kind, and offered quite alot of advice that I have found to be truly invaluable. I am, however, certain that the country air will do her a world of good, and that we will soon have the pleasure of her presence here at court again,” Octavien offered, in that composed manner the Duc remembered from their luncheon several days ago.

The young man seemed more than able to carry himself when in personal conversation, so the mental checklist was pushed to the back.

“The Queen’s presence is certainly invaluable to the Palace as a whole. The King as well. It will be a shock to the household to see her off, so soon after… well.”

Dimitri filled the telling silence with a gesture for more wine.

“Will you remain at the Palace in Her Majesty’s absence, Duchesse?”

It was an absurd question, but the underlying meaning was what truly counted. How could the Margoles allow the Palace to roam free without one of their own people here to “keep an eye” on things? It was equivalent to opening one’s locked doors and allowing an army of courtiers to tear their carefully constructed home apart.

When Dimitri left the Court two decades ago, it had been after forming a very close friendship with the King himself, which was vigorously maintained through occasional—but never exceptionally infrequent—letters. Dimitri was very fond of Edouard, and his letters had been written with utmost sincerity; but like everything else in this Court, there was the oft unmentioned additional agendas.

While Isabella had been here, the Margoles’ position in Court was safe from harm. Without her, however…
#435 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 3:24 PM
Juliet's sentiment the young gentleman was quite neutral when she heard of the marriage to him, for she knew nothing of him or his family, this had suprised her until she had found out that he had only a short time ago been an untitled man, which in itself did not impress her, however she could hardly hold that against him with her background, on the day of the funeral, she had gone so far as to recognise he looked the part, even if he had been which was at least something, and on his greeting her mood had moved round to positive, the young Prince, at least from the point of view of Juliet de Margoles, would do, he was perfectly sufficient.

“The Queen will be missed indeed. She has been most gracious and kind, and offered quite alot of advice that I have found to be truly invaluable. I am, however, certain that the country air will do her a world of good, and that we will soon have the pleasure of her presence here at court again.” Her step-grandson-in-law motioned, cordial polite and agreeing with Juliet's opinion... excellent.

“The Queen’s presence is certainly invaluable to the Palace as a whole. The King as well. It will be a shock to the household to see her off, so soon after… well.”Juliet paused, whilst the young gentleman had commended her choice and comiserated the palace for the loss the Duc seemed less convinced Juliet was positioned between the two men and shifted her position slightly in the chair whilst she had been sitting watching the Prince she now changed to watch the Duc his words had been perfectly natural but perhaps, there was something underneath that politeness, beneath the warm sentiment everyone showed her... nowadays. Juliet had shifted in such a way that from the position of the Duc the appearance would be of her sitting beside the Prince and rather assessing him. There was a pointed silence during which the Duc gestured for wine. Before speaking once again.

“Will you remain at the Palace in Her Majesty’s absence, Duchesse?”

"I shall naturally be a more constant presence here at the palace, but a woman's duty is to her family, and I cannot desert my daughter in her condition, my husband in his position, or in deed the next Duc of Champagne in the stage of life's transition. So Isabella's uncle will be joining you here at the court, he I feel is an able family member and him and Edouard have always gotten along so well, that I feel perhaps his presense will be welcomed even more than my own would..." Juliet left another definite pause, the question had been foolish, but the reasoning behind it was clear, she had heard statements of a similar nature made by a great many powerful men, with the same unlying meaning. Was well aware that in any and every court throughout the known world, there were people who could not be moved from their postions unless it was voluterily as they held too much power. Isabella and Adalita had held those powers, the Prince, by his very nature did, she did, Larkin would and she had to concede the man before her, as Edouard's life long friend, did. Thus she had used the first names of the Royal's after all of all people who was more qualified too than the three of them? There was just one niggling feeling at the back of her mind, there was someone else in this court whose cool confidence flowed, as if certain that the person was untouchable, sadly Juliet was leaving the following morning and still had not located the person she sort to make note of...

((I didn't think we sould all grill Octavien so Juliet took a different tack, hope everyone is happy ))
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#436 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 3:35 PM
(((ooc: I know Octavien is! *lol* Question though (I'm full of them!); Isabella's brother is supposed to arrive at court as well, no? *points to omarion's app* Or does no one (not even Juliet) at this point know that?)))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
#437 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 3:51 PM
((On the basis that I have not had any contact with him sinse that application I do not think, he will, and I stress the think.))
Field Researcher
#438 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 8:51 PM
Default Dimitri, Octavien & Juliet
((LOL! I think Octavien has, like, maxed Charisma or something. It covers women of all ages

[EDIT] Whoa, if this ain't a mindless fluff post... XD))

______

“I shall naturally be a more constant presence here at the palace, but a woman's duty is to her family, and I cannot desert my daughter in her condition, my husband in his position, or in deed the next Duc of Champagne in the stage of life's transition,” Juliet explained in strenuous detail, to which Dimitri duly listened.

Yet he found something far more interesting: her subtle shift towards the Prince, which his grey eyes visibly followed with wry amusement. Dimitri had been expecting the chance to study her reaction to Octavien, to assess her own assessment of the Prince. He had hoped to learn from her behaviour something—anything—that might explain the disconcerting thoughts from this morning.

Yet now he was meeting the Duchesse’s eyes himself. Irony of ironies. It was all just illustrative of her unpredictable nature.

He wondered if he had said something that displeased her, to initiate such a move—had he not been able to elicit an almost-smile from her just seconds earlier? Perhaps he had let his disapproval shine through one time too many. There was no hiding it, though. Dimitri thought removing Isabella from the Palace right after Adalita’s funeral to be the worst possible idea. He suspected he would be spending several mornings with the distraught King, now that he was without wife and daughter.

There was also the possibility of poison. Until that option was cleared beyond all doubt, it seemed best to keep the Queen well within reach of the country’s best physicians… Just in case. The only advantage of moving her would be to get her away from the assassin, but if she had been already struck…

But the Duchesse did not know of Adalita’s poisoning, and that made all the difference.

“So Isabella's uncle will be joining you here at the court, he I feel is an able family member and him and Edouard have always gotten along so well, that I feel perhaps his presense will be welcomed even more than my own would...”

He did not recall Edouard mentioning the man in his letters. He would simply have to wait and see who this character was.

For all their cordial talk in these two days, neither had forgotten that there was no real friendship between them, save for that indistinguishable relationship shared between fellow aristocrats. Juliet may have even been aware that the Duc was still residing at Court when the first Queen was alive—even helped deliver some key letters from her shy suitor. Sometimes, that’s all it took to cast a veil of suspicion upon a person.

Dimitri might have said that her absence would be regretted. But it was not in his nature to say something quite so hollow, when he had not spent even a day with the Duchesse. Considering how squarely she looked at him with her frozen eyes, he doubted she would appreciate hearing such meaningless assurances from him, as well.

And so he chose that moment to drink his wine, allowing the Prince—who, it seemed, had not yet earned the Duchesse de Margoles’ infamous ire—to pick up from there.
Test Subject
#439 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 11:10 PM
((Sorry guys, but I'm probably going to have to pull out. After seeing the length of some of these posts, I'd never be able to write that much, and I'm worried that my presence would be detrimental to the RP))
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#440 Old 24th Apr 2008 at 12:26 AM
Default Octavien in BLue Salon w/ Dimitri & Juliet
(((ooc: Oh, nice Seiza/Dimitri! Really nice! Just feed him to the sharks, why don't you? )))

No stranger to the sheer power sometimes found in a mere look, there were still times when Octavien would marvel at the effect of a gaze, or even a glance. He had seen, many times, how a changed expression in the eyes could be enough to make people cower, to squirm, to laugh out loud, even cry. Since entering the Blue Salon, he had found himself the target some rather powerful stares, and while they had had an effect on him, none of them had been as potent as the one he saw when briefly looking across the room to where César was standing, and catching the look in his friend's eyes. The most remarkable thing about it, was that César wasn't even looking his way. He was busy nailing the nearest, still seated nobleman to the wall with his piercing stare, and that was what had such an effect on Octavien. In a flash, and although bound to return sooner or later, his well-hidden anxiety drained from him, it vanished as though someone had reached inside his chest and pulled it out like one did a thorn. He had realized that while he may have to fight, and fight hard, to earn the respect of the other courtiers, there were those that stood by his side, and would fight their own little battle in order to ensure that he was treated the way that he, according to them, deserved to be treated.

And, had it not been the most inappropriate time for smiling, a wide one would've spread on his face, born of sheer gratitude, relief and good old-fashioned joy, at having such a loyal friend. In César, and in Joséphine.

"The Queen’s presence is certainly invaluable to the Palace as a whole. The King as well."

Only a few moments had passed since Octavien had fallen silent, and so when Dimtri spoke again and the Prince's eyes immediately turned back to his present company, it would have taken the most hawk-eyed of people to see that it had even strayed at all.

"It will be a shock to the household to see her off, so soon after... well."

Once again silence filled the space between the three, as Dimitri refrained from speaking what was so clearly on everyone's mind already, and instead gestured for one of the servants to bring more wine. Though this time it lasted far longer.

Quite frankly, it was a comment to which Octavien didn't know how to react. He himself had been careful not to label Isabella's pending and temporary absence too much of a loss, as it would seem a rather trivial one in comparison with the permanent loss of Adalita, and an insult to her on this her funeral day, and commemoration.
But then again, he had never felt like more of a bumpkin in his entire life than he did right now, so who was he to critize?

Still, he didn't seem able to shake it off as easily as the Duc and Duchesse did, and so merely listened as the two of them continued the conversation with a change of subject, watching each of them carefully but not overly noticeable, as bumpkin or not, he was still intelligent to pick up on the currents stirring underneath their words and tone of voices.

"I shall naturally be a more constant presence here at the palace", the Duchesse responded to the Duc's inquiry, "but a woman's duty is to her family, and I cannot desert my daughter in her condition, my husband in his position, or in deed the next Duc of Champagne in the stage of life's transition. So Isabella's uncle will be joining you here at the court, he I feel is an able family member and him and Edouard have always gotten along so well, that I feel perhaps his presense will be welcomed even more than my own would..."

Still sitting in silence, now pondering the possible consequences of having yet another friend of the King's, and at the same time another relative of Isabella's present at court, at first Octavien didn't register that a third silence was spreading. Not until his gaze shifted from Juliet to Dimitri, in anticipation of the Duc's reply, only to find that the Duc didn't appear to be about to say anything at all. He was merely sipping his wine, as if expecting someone else to keep the conversation flowing. And there was only one 'someone else' present, who had not already just finished speaking:
Octavien.

Had it been César sitting next to him, casually sipping his wine, Octavien might've hissed a discreet "A little help here?", but sadly, César was on the opposite side of the room, and, it seemed, currently battling quite an awkward situation himself.

Luckily, the afternoon encounter with Joséphine had set Octavien on the path back to his usual, quick-witted self, and so it didn't take him long to rise to the occasion;

"Then perhaps I could persuade to honor me by joining me for tea sometime?" he asked the Duchesse, clearly referring to her statement regarding her own occasional presence at court. "I regret to say I do not know nearly as much about Her Majesty's esteemed family as I feel I should, and want to, and would so love the opportunity to learn."

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Test Subject
#441 Old 24th Apr 2008 at 1:43 AM
((Thank you for all being so welcoming! Atropa, She isn't a servant, she just recently bought her freedom and moved from somewhere else into the palace.

Fayreview, I'll just post when it turns morning because I probably wouldn't be able to get a conversation decently going without having to end it early (and it gives me time to think about what to post...not that I don't have more than enough with this stupid Standardized testing *throws booklet on ground and stomps on it*)
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#442 Old 24th Apr 2008 at 2:44 AM
Default César (aka cat on a hot tin roof) w/ Joséphine & Marie-Elisabeth - Blue Salon
(((ooc: Elektra - Oh, okay. Just seemed odd to me for a former servant to live in the Palace and be part of the court, since usually not even most wealthy but untitled people were accepted there. But ok, now I know.)))

Try as she may, there was no tea cup in the world that could hide the Comtesse's smirk from César's perceptive gaze as he approached her seated form. Mostly because what defined a smirk did not lay only in the tugging of lips, but in the look in the eyes as well. And her eyes, he could see clearly as she watched him draw closer. The familiar mischievous sparkle was there, as was that mirth and the subtle defiance of those who expected of her to have 'fun' be the last thing on her mind, and it all coaxed César's lips into a faint smirk of their own. Why, one might even think she was glad to see him!

"Why thank you Marquis, I’m flattered", she said and shifted slightly to make room for him, after first setting down the delicate chine cup on the table infront of her, apparently well aware that César appreciated the sight of her smile, and would hardly hold it against her, even at a time and occasion such as this. Then she continued; "But I believe we do just have the one god. The old man in robes with the long white beard, remember?"

"Ah", César nodded, much like one would do when reminded of something one would have realized, if just taking another moment to think.

Just then, the footman by the door announced the arrival of His Royal Highness, the Prince, and César turned his head slightly to watch Octavien's entrance, but while doing so his gaze landed on something else. And stayed there. A wide and considerable display of blatant disrespect among alot of the courtiers, some of whom didn't even bother to rise, but merely gazed languidly as Octavien proceeded across the floor, towards none other than Duc d'Lorraine, and the Duchesse de Margoles.
César had to bite his tongue hard, not to lash out at such behaviour, and instead turned his attention to Octavien, who seemed to handle himself fairly well, considering the immense pressure he was under, and, from what he had told César the previous night, the inexcusably poor schooling he had recieved since made Prince. Though he himself did not judge his new surroundings as hard for not preparing him better for situations such as this. It was César who did, and who nearly exploded as he saw the looks on people's faces, Duc d'Lorraine included. They were all judging Octavien by standards they knew very well he was not accustomed to, and had yet to be schooled to deal with.
Self-rightous bastards.

Much like an older brother, César couldn't help but feel protective of Octavien, and had it done any good whatsoever, he would've opened his mouth and let everyone there know just what he thought of them. But it wouldn't. If anything, it would only make Octavien look bad, for apparently needing an ill-mannered brute of a friend to defend him.

However, there was always later...
They would get theirs, later...

With Octavien finally having been properly and respectfully welcomed by Duc d'Lorraine and Duchesse de Margoles, and sitting down with them, César turned his attention back to the Comtesse, only to have if shift again a moment later, as she had apparently spotted something over his shoulder.

Though before he could turn to find out what it was, a soft and highly familiar voice sounded from behind him.

"Good evening, César."

Joséphine... Oh dear.
For obvious reasons, César had always done his best to keep his mistresses - past, present and possible future ones - and his wife far apart, sometimes even going so far as to forbidding his paramours to even attend an event to which he intended to bring Joséphine.

This... This was why.
Merde!

"May I join you?"

Coming to a halt right next to him, Joséphine's gaze shifted between him and the Comtesse, and César turned to face her, greeting her with a soft smile.

"Of course", he said, frantically trying to think of a good way to excuse himself and Joséphine without it being far too obvious.

As the ladies introduced themselves to one another, one possible excuse after another kept passing through his head, though none of them even remotely satisfactory. He had just told Joséphine she was welcome to join in the conversation, and so he couldn't claim that the Comtesse was just about to retire for the evening, nor could he pretend he himself was about to depart from the young blonde's company. 'Suddenly' seeing someone he wanted to say hello to was far too transparent, and Octavien was clearly not approachable.

No... It would seem he would just have to suffer through this as smoothly as he could for a couple of minutes, and then find an excuse for him and Joséphine to leave.
Thankfully, it seemed Marie-Elisabeth was willing to play along.

"I had the pleasure of meeting the Comtesse at breakfast yesterday", César said, deciding that if he was to do this, the best way would be to do it properly, with the same courtesy he would've used, had the Comtesse been just anyone. "Would you believe, she just recently arrived here herself?"

(((ooc: If it's messy, I'm sorry. So tired I can't see straight. Which is also why I may or may not elaborate a little tomorrow. What he says and does will still remain the same though, so it won't affect any possible replies.

slytherin - Can't keep my mouth shut. Just saw your pics in the Random Pics thread, with the portraits of Marie-Antoinette and, more importantly, Axel von Fersen, and... Can I just say "squeeee! :clap: ". One of my favorite historical people. Right up there with Marie-Antoinette and Anne Boleyn. Just finished this Swedish biography on him. GREAT read.
Ok, now I'll shut up. :mute: )))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Scholar
#443 Old 24th Apr 2008 at 3:26 AM
(((OOC: Thankies We seem to be creepily alike, Anne and Marie are my absolute favourites too I'm a nut for them, that's probably why I joined this in the first place. And I just pretend all the portraits of her are Marie-Elisabeth, and Fersen is Charles about 40 years ago LMAO

EDIT: UGH Seiza, save your money and don;t go see it (other boleyn girl) it sucked big time, as such an avid Tudors/Anne fan I was horrified)))

SixWordStories
Field Researcher
#444 Old 24th Apr 2008 at 6:46 AM
((Atropa: It's... it's training! The "throw kid into lion's den with blunt club, kick back and watch" style.

One of my favourite historical figures is Bismarck. Dude had a tongue like a knife! Though I fully intend to watch that Boleyn movie just for this RP. :P))
#445 Old 24th Apr 2008 at 7:02 AM
((Ooooh! Seiza, Bismarck hey? I am taking history with the most boring teacher under the son just so I can learn about him :D))

Sadly Atropa I do not have time to reply right now, but I shall when I get home from school it will be accompainied by a visit from Edouard, and perhaps the shell that is Isabella without Shenan But as you know this evening we will be getting a new thread.... which is really all there is to say on that matter, other than I shall be taking content from here and Eteternal's thread to make it up, it won't be original.

Oh and I hate to be the bearer of irritating news, but re-applications for all! I feel that with a new thread there's always a chance to atract more people to the thread, and if we are all going to be applying I feel that will be so much easier on anyone coming in. Not that it stopped Elektra, but with Atropa's subtle advertising for the forum we want to be the best we can be.

Finally i would like to announce that our influx of new characters is up to three (/four hmmm Ghanima how long will you make us wait?) With FurryPanda, Elektra, and Lady Charmaine de Mollier, my own second character.

Ciao

Fayre))
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#446 Old 24th Apr 2008 at 12:07 PM
(((ooc: slytherin - We do indeed. I'm totally in love with your avatar, and the Tudors is one of the very, very few things I watch on tv. Though we only just finished season one here. Can't wait until they start airing the next. I wish they would do something similar with Marie-Antoinette's story. I mean, Sophia Coppola's movie was nice and all, but it was all fluff. No depth whatsoever. Now imagine what they could do if they made it into a TV series, with hour upon hour to spend on depth and detail... *daydreams*

As for Bismarck... Will have to look into that one a little more. I know who he was and everything, and that he had quite a way with words, but that's about it.

Fayre - I don't think re-applications will be that much of a hassle. We can just copy and paste, and it IS so much neater to have all info in one thread, instead of having to go back and forth between several of them just to read up on a character.
And Furry's joining too? Great!
Now if only Hay, Ruby and funheart would come back as well. )))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Alchemist
#447 Old 24th Apr 2008 at 12:13 PM
((ooc: Sorry it took a little longer, silly me missed Robyn's post on the other page. I hope this works.

Fayre - are you refering to the character I said I would bring in? I want to write the bio asap but I think it's best I waited for the new thread to submit it? Or? I don't mind submitting it before if needed.))

During their six years of marriage, Joséphine had grown accustomed to the fact that César's mistresses would largely remain faceless to her, the ghostly presence of a thought that allowed imagination to soar without ever taking a concrete, human form. He was always careful to keep it so, and whenever they appeared in society as a couple no other woman received anything more than the customary polite comment or glance. If César's paramours happened to be present, the scene was set so that she never became aware of their identity. Those moments were not the ones that bothered Joséphine the most– no, her chagrin surfaced whenever her husband attended gatherings alone, or in the company of his friends. It made sense that during those times he was most likely to approach another woman, proverbially juggling wife and paramours alike with the practised ease of a connoisseur.

But not that evening. The Marquise had approached the pair quietly, eager to steal an unaltered glimpse of them both, but especially of her, before she was noticed and each participant was forced to conceal any less than innocent behaviour underneath some polite guise. There had been only moments to spare but, as the lady's face emerged into view, her rosy lips donned a coy, coquettish smirk from behind the rim of her china cup and her eyes sparkled with subtle delight. Naturally, both of those had receded underneath the untainted poise of a polite lady as soon as Joséphine made her presence known. A woman in the lady's position needed to adapt quickly.

“Ahh so you’re the mother of the two little girls I had my ear talked off about” she said “How nice to finally meet you. I’m Marie-Elisabeth, Comtesse de Valois”.

Marie-Elisabeth, Comtesse de Valois.

Joséphine repeated the words in her mind, although fearful they might be lost and once again the blonde would become yet another beautiful, unnamed face among many others, imagined and glimpsed alike. She inclined her head in acknowledgement, along with a softly spoken “Enchantée, Comtesse,” taking the opportunity to glimpse at César as she did so: he, too, donned a slight smile, and if Joséphine compared it to his others, there was a slight rigidity about it, even while he graciously welcomed her. This was slightly new territory for him as well.

Joséphine was however distracted momentarily by an announcement which reached her ear through the incessant buzz of the room: the arrival of his Majesty, Prince Octavien Lahance. He was received with mixed feelings by the courtiers, but the Marquise ensured she counted herself among those who greeted the Prince respectfully and without hesitation. Once he was seated next to Duc d'Lorraine and Duchesse de Margoles, Joséphine returned her attention to César and Marie-Elisabeth once more.

"I had the pleasure of meeting the Comtesse at breakfast yesterday", César said on his best courteous tone, "Would you believe, she just recently arrived here herself?"

“What a happy coincidence,” Joséphine replied, her gaze shifting from the Comtesse to her husband and back before venturing even further: “Court life can be rather overwhelming for those unaccustomed to it: so many new faces, and so big a place, it is fortunate indeed to meet someone one can...relate to. Have you arrived here alone, Comtesse?”

To the Comtesse, even to César himself, those comments might have seemed meaningless, the necessary etiquette that nobility could not discard even when the thoughts they harboured were less than pleasant, but they would have been wrong: Joséphine was genuinely interested to know...everything. It was more than mere curiosity: she truly wanted to know what kind of women her husband chose as mistresses, and she saw this as a perfect opportunity to study such a case.

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
Field Researcher
#448 Old 24th Apr 2008 at 12:56 PM
((slytherin-girl: Damn! Another historical movie down the drain. I'm sorta interested in seeing the mannerism and dialogue too, but now I'll just wait till it's on cable or something. Heh. There was that other mini-series about Queen Elizabeth (I think) that was showing on Hallmark at some point. Missed that too. *tends to watch movies/shows several years late :P*

Ah, Bismarck. He had me at "that damned thing in the Balkans". XDDD I just loved the balancing act he played, though I think history classes, with their limited time and syllabus to complete, do him and the myriad of other personalities no justice. He's definitely worth a boring history teacher, Fay!

OMG! More characters! :yippee: (omarion, sorry to see you go, but thanks for looking in!) O ho, "de Mollier"? No relation to the deceased Duc d'Mollier...? *shifty eyes* And I agree with Atropa, it's no hassle to just copy and paste our old apps into the new thread.))
Scholar
#449 Old 24th Apr 2008 at 2:40 PM
Default Marie-Elisabeth, César, et Joephine: The Blue Salon
Marie-Elisabeth was far from un perceptive. It was easy for her to be able to tell what people were thinking and feeling, often just based on their body language. When you grew up in a family as large as hers, you made it a habit to watch people and learn these kinds of things whether you wanted to or not. That was how she would figure out if Marie-Josephine was in the mood to do her schoolwork for her or if Leopold could be persuaded to take her out riding.

And right now, even though her surprisingly polite manner was hiding it well, the woman was sending out clear “I do not like you” signals. Marie-Elisabeth could well understand why, but if the woman wanted to play the polite game, then that is just what they would do.

“Why yes, it is most fortunate to meet someone one has things in common with” said Marie-Elisabeth, smiling and momentarily directing her gaze over to the increasingly uncomfortable looking César. He looked as though he wanted to be just about anywhere else, and Marie-Elisabeth could certainly relate. It seemed as though yesterday's ....interesting conversations wouldn't be repeated again uninterrupted any time soon.

“Although not as much in common as I’d like. I’ve arrived very much alone, as I decided it was better for my son to stay at home with his tutors” she said, looking back at Josephine “You’re both very lucky to have your children here with you. I wish my little Charles could be here, but he’s got so much to learn it was near impossible for him to come here”.

(((OOC: I’ve got my app all copied and pasted, and slightly edited, for the next one. It’s no problem to me. I won’t even get into the dozens of reasons that movie stank (which include ridiculous historical inaccuracies, awful acting, and the non existence of a crucial historical figure).

And any random names in here are Marie-Elisabeth’s siblings. She’s one of 16 and yes they do all have names and yes I'm a total weirdo about that LOL)))

SixWordStories
#450 Old 24th Apr 2008 at 6:22 PM
((Ghanima i did mean the character you were tempting us with and by all means post in the new thread, and Seiza, when i posted her app a while ago I mentioned she is married to the Cousin of the Duc de Mollier, great thing is now that is perfectly legit, because I say so ... absolute power corrupts absolutely so you guys should remember to yank me back from driving you all mad.

I shall begin to edit with a post as soon as this is posted

Ok officially my last Roleplay post here in the Shenanigans Epoch thread.))

Juliet had watched the Duc for what she felt was a reasonable length of time to make him realise that he had been slightly too obvious when notioning he felt she had done the wrong thing when the Prince spoke to her.

"Then perhaps I could persuade to honor me by joining me for tea sometime? I regret to say I do not know nearly as much about Her Majesty's esteemed family as I feel I should, and want to, and would so love the opportunity to learn."

Perhaps the boy was trying too hard, but he was polite and either way he WAS trying, Juliet smiled at him. "I would personally consider it such a pleasure to spend that time with you, my husband's family history is so very interesting."

There was then one of those rare moments when a syncronised conversation lull swept the room, blanketed each person in the Blue Salon, everyone seemed to have run out of things to say, or reached for wine goblets, pastry plates or tea cups, the silence travelled across the room but fell just short of the doors, which creaked ever so slightly as they swung open.

"Your Royal Highnesses, King Edouard and Queen Isabella." The doorman announced the couple and the silent courtiers turned to watch the Royal pair, flanked by servants, including the indespensible Margaret and Baroness Venn who moved away from them, and out of the sight of the Nobles who followed the King and Queen, as thery moved to stand in front of the white marble fire place. Juliet was on her feet in an instant, but sensing her daughter was only there whilst her husband spoke, she stayed in her place between the Duc and Prince whom along with everyone else in the room was now standing.

"My wife and I are so touched you have all joined us tonight to celebrate the life of my daughter, your princess. It was shocking to lose her, and it is hard to talk about however I must remain strong for you, the essense of my Kingdom, my Loyal friends, family and countrymen." He motioned from person to person, with an indication towards his wife's mother with the word "family" no longer having anyone really to point to.

"By now I am sure you are all aware my Queen will be departing from the court, temporarily to spent some time with her family and recuperate as her health has been slightly off in recent weeks. My final words for this evening are to ask for a few moments in honour of my daughter and all other children who are lost before their time."

The silence that had only been shattered by the voice of the King was returned and maintained as people looked at floor, in apparent quiet complacency... but in the Palace of Light and Air who knows what they were really thinking...

((Good Night Courtiers ))

Page 18 of 19