Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#126 Old 10th Feb 2008 at 2:10 AM
This is just a friendly warning that dawn will be called in about 24 hours.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#127 Old 10th Feb 2008 at 4:26 AM
And yet, here I am, unbethrothed and twenty-four."

The rest of the Duchesse's words seemed to skid to a stop, if not jump down a ravine entirely. She smiled once again (Dimitri formed the curious impression that her smile served less as an invitation than a barrier for her to hide behind), and a silence descended over them as they walked.

The Duc tilted his head at her, in a sign of curiosity, but left it to her discretion to continue. An unmarried woman at twenty-four always had a story to tell; but he would not press her if she did not.

"So, your cousin is the Duchesse, eh?"

And indeed she didn't.

Dimitri followed accordingly. "Yes, a pleasant woman of a most agreeable nature. She had two children of her own. She spent such a time running after them, it's trained her to be a very good overseer of my estate while I am here."

He spoke of her with the same affection he used for Ana, yet it was more restrained. He did not know if the Duchesse knew of his relationship with his cousin-- the last whispers of it seemed to die when he left the court. Whatever the case, it did not seem either of them would be able to prod the other, for they had left the Palace Gardens by this time and crossed the Courtyard.

"Perhaps I may introduce her to you one day," he kissed the Duchesse's hand. The moon was high in the sky, illuminating the palace and people parting ways in white-gold.

______

((Thought I'd help wrap it up for us, Ruby, since dawn is coming soon. Feel free to add on a final post if you like!))
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#128 Old 10th Feb 2008 at 6:39 PM
Default Octavien & Isabella - Octavien's suite
(((ooc: Terribly sorry for the delay. Life got in the way. And no, I did not rhyme intentionally. And sorry again for the length. I seem to be incapable of writing fairly short posts! )))

Much to Octavien's dismay, he found that Isabella had indeed picked up on his slightly accusatory tone of voice when questioning who this Felix was. He had tried his best to keep his suspicion under wraps, tried to keep it from shining through in his voice. The last thing either of them needed right now was for his newly awakened jealousy - the one that had been partly to blame for his rash words to her the night before - to stir once again, and block their way back to one another.
But obviously, he had failed. And it seemed to amuse the young Queen, judging by the smile that now formed on her lips; something that really didn't help, for even though it was a sign of having no reason to feel guilty, and that she had not taken offense by his tone, it made him feel slightly ill at ease. As though he was going out on a limb by showing that he was growing quite attached to her, in a way that accepted no rivals.

"Oh yes," she started, after biting her lip in a moments of hesitation. "My beloved Comte d’Cognac."

Her tone was playful, and the smile on her lips seemed to still be widening, but they did little to calm him. He was on edge, and not in the mood for jokes, or being toyed with. Isabella seemed to realize it, as no doubt the expression on his face, and more so the one in his eyes, made it quite clear. With a soothing touch, she put her hand gently against his cheek - the one that she had slapped, and that was still slightly flushed - and caressed it with her thumb, as a way of telling him that he had nothing to worry about, that there was no need for his guarded tone.

"Relax," she said. "I have never even thought of sleeping with the man. Though, I do suspect the thought has crossed his wishful little mind on more than one occasion."

Another slight frown appeared on Octavien's young features. While he could understand and even relate to why the man, or any man for that matter, would harbour such desires, understanding it didn't make him like it any better. And matters were hardly made better as she moved on to explain that this Felix was related to Silvius, that they were brothers, even. The prospect of having a man with morals and brains possibly similar to Silvius' running around, didn't much appeal to him.
Though judging by what Isabella had to say about him, it did seem he would be the lesser of two evils.

"Though on the surface he seems a bit odd, deep down there’s a respectable man," she told him, "even if he’d never admit to it. He at least, unlike his brother, respects my title and appreciates my power."

Following those words was another brief moment of hesitation - or rather, deliberation, as if she was trying to decide how much she should say - before she continued. Where before anger had loosened her tongue, it now seemed trust did, in the light of what Octavien himself had just confessed to her. Since her dramatic entrance into his suite, they had come to discover that they were much more alike than they had thought. Passion was no longer the only thing they shared.

"The Comte has been in my service for some time", she continued, now in a much lower voice, as though she was thinking perhaps the walls had ears. And in this place, they just might. "It was he that took care of the Duc of Mollier for me."

Yes... Much more alike than they had first thought. They both had similar ways of protecting themselves, going as far as they would have to, to see to it that their secrets were kept. But only when driven to it.
At least in Octavien's case. He didn't harm people out of spite or just for entertainment, he merely responded to the threat they posed to him, and he suspected Isabella only did the same. Silvius and Adalita had posed a threat to his good name and reputation, to his dignity, and so he had dealt with them accordingly. Marquess Berini had threatened a whole lot more, he had threatened Octavien with total downfall, and thus brought about his own.
Simple self defense.

"He was relaying some news to me about Adalita’s condition when Giles came into the hall", Isabella continued, breaking the silence one more. "Not thinking correctly I rushed out of my Salon, my desire to see you took over my senses."

Yet another pause, as she swallowed, revealing that those were words that had not come easy to her. Apparently, Octavien wasn't the only one who felt he was out on a limb. And if her caress hadn't already soothed his agitation, this statement would have, as it once again showed that she truly cared for him. She would not have lost her head, let alone admitted to it, had he been just someone to keep her amused when she was bored.
Granted, she had already said that he wasn't, by saying that the passionate and sensitive woman she was with him had not existed before he came into her life. But a little further confirmation never hurt.

"Anyhow," she abruptly continued, "he kept me back, with reasons of protecting me from a murderer. Honestly he protected me from possible humiliation as I saw Edouard exit his salon just as I returned to mine."

This time when she fell silent, she stayed silent, having nothing more to say for the time being, but rather giving him a chance to take it all in. He nodded slowly, deep in thought, with his gaze lingering on something ahead of him, in a far away distance. Then it suddenly shifted to meet with hers once again. News about Adalita's condition, she'd said... That was an odd statement, considering the servants were to bring such reports to the royal family personally, without it passing through any of the other courtiers first.
But, before he had the chance to ask, there was a discreet knock on the door, the rhythmic pattern of the tapping letting Octavien know exactly who it was; Gilles.

"Yes?" he said, impatience staining his voice despite him knowing that Gilles would never interrupt without good reason.

A narrow gap opened in the door as Gilles slipped inside, closing the door firmly behind him before giving a lavish bow in the presence of Isabella.

"Your Royal Highnesses", he said, and as he straightened his back they could see he was holding a small white envelope. "Forgive me for disturbing you, but this just arrived for the Prince."

Instead of holding out his hand for Gilles to deliver it to him, Octavien merely motioned for him to open it and read its contents.

"What is it?" he asked, once the servant had slid the note from the envelope, and unfolded it.

"Duc D'Lorraine pays his repects, and wishes Your Highness a full recovery", Gilles said while his eyes quickly scanned the brief note. "He also humbly requests a luncheon at Your Highness' earliest convenience."

Duc D'Lorraine? Again this mysterious Duc D'Lorraine. Octavien's blonde brows furrowed slightly, and he turned his head to give Isabella a look that asked for an explanation. She had mentioned this D'Lorraine having met with herself and the King, and now he wanted to meet with Octavien? Whoever he was, he must be quite a prominent man, to keep such company.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Original Poster
#129 Old 10th Feb 2008 at 10:56 PM
Default Isabella & Octavien - Octavien's Suite
Isabella’s eyes roamed the features of his face while Octavien’s own gaze was somewhere off in the horizon. As he dwelt on her words, her own mind was transported to some place, somewhere far away. Her mind’s eye returned her to the day they met, her day in the forest when she had fixed her own stare at some invisible point in front of her. Oh, how things had changed so quickly. Then their words and glances had just begun to hint that fate had something massive in store for them. If destiny had come and whispered in her ear then that soon she would be sharing her deepest darkest secrets with the then untitled Octavien Lahance, she would have died with laughter. But sure enough, destiny had pulled its strings, orchestrated its events. And now here she was, the most powerful woman of the kingdom, sharing every last bit of herself with him.

Her mind hadn’t long to dwell on it when there was a knock at the door, soon revealing that Giles had an envelope for Octavien. After his bow he opened the note and read it at Octavien’s request. “Duc D’Lorraine pays his respects, and wishes Your Highness a full recovery.” At the mention of Dimitri’s name, Isabella got a sudden ill feeling in her stomach. Granted it was a polite gesture, but the man hadn’t even been in the palace a whole day, and already she felt as if he were putting his nose into her business. Giles soon continued, his words only affirming her suspicions. “He also humbly requests a luncheon at Your Highness’ earliest convenience.” There it was. Isabella took a deep breath in, in attempt to ready herself for a new monumental task.

She switched her gaze quickly from resting upon Giles in expectation to take in Octavien’s expression. It was obviously her moment to continue. “He sure doesn’t waste any time.” She readjusted her posture, as if to get comfortable for the task ahead of her. “Duc D’Lorraine. Dimitri…” she paused trying to recall his last name. “Josephe, I believe. He arrived this morning, an old friend of Edouard’s. More of a mentor I believe, as when they are in the same room, the Duc appears to be the superior of the two. He had taken his leave of Edouard before we were married, so I do not know him as well as I’d like. I do know he is a military man, a firm believer in the might of power properly wielded.” Isabella took in another breath. “This afternoon, Edouard asked him to stay until an advisor is chosen. He wished D’Lorraine to guide him with his decisions. I do not know if he is friend or foe at this point. I am to meet with him tomorrow morning, I was hoping to ascertain then if he shall pose as an obstacle or not.”

Isabella grew silent. There was no more she could offer him. “Then I shall meet with him as well.” Octavien stated simply. He then instructed Giles to make up a note of acceptance informing Dimitri he would have lunch with him the next day. Isabella quietly sat just staring at Octavien as he instructed his manservant. She was studying him, imagining how different things would be if he were the King. Unlike Octavien, Edouard was so easily swayed, though the country saw him as a noble King, Isabella had seen his ways change like the tide. Another would come along in effort to steer him in their direction, and find it a simple task. She wondered why fate was so cruel as to rarely give things to the people who were most deserving of such appointments.

Apparently she had been silent too long as Giles had left the room to tend to his task and she suddenly registered that Octavien was looking upon her, a blonde brow arched, and a small smile upon his lips. It was as if he had caught her in a most compromising position. Coming to her senses she couldn’t hold back a small embarrassed smile. She shook her head in disbelief of herself, sat up right and began to scoot herself off his large bed. She didn’t go anywhere however, as she found his arm wrapped around her suddenly. “What matter of urgency could you possibly have that would drag you from my presence?” he asked, his voice void of any agitation and suspicion that it had been laced with earlier. Now all she heard was the playful mischief that she had so grown to enjoy.

Her own brows rose with her explanation. “You are injured,” she reminded him. “you need your rest.”

“I have had enough sleep for this day.” His eyes challenged her to defy him. With his good arm he managed to pull her closer.

“You need to heal.” She objected simply while leaning into him closer still.

“You are all I need.” With that quiet, simple statement he hushed any other objections that would think to come from her lips. It was his quiet prelude to a kiss that would communicate clearly his intensions for her to stay. Isabella willingly surrendered to him, relieved that the last twenty four hours had finally come to an end. Though their passion had always been there since the very first playful glance, what they shared now was much deeper, much more complex, and far more wondrous.
Original Poster
#130 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 2:02 AM
Default Morning Announcements - Another Cold Winter's Day 3
“The King speaks.” Came Edouard's routine words as he stood upright before the courtiers. It was the second morning that Adalita was not with her family as they stood in the Grand Salon. Edouard’s face showed enough concern without appearing to be weak.

“This morning we once again gather,” he continued, “in hopes to draw nearer to the goal of finding a courtier suitable to take the place of the late Duc of Mollier.” He gestured towards a servant to bring him a nicely tied scroll. As the servant came closer he announced a name. “Comte Felix Delarue Peitou-Charentes” he called for him to step forward. Edouard descended the steps and stood before the Comte. “It is the opinion of our beloved Queen that you are most deserving of the title of Duc.” With ceremonious action he promoted Felix.

As he made his way back towards his position he continued to announce the arrival of Duc d’Lorraine to the group that had gathered, pointing the man out for all to see.

With all things tended to, he offered his arm to Isabella and the royal family left the room.

((OOC: I am sorry this is short and rather crappy. It just wasn’t coming to me.))
Original Poster
#131 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 2:24 PM
Default Isabella
Octavien had convinced Isabella easily enough to stay with him in his quarters. Despite his insisting the deep gash did not hamper him Isabella knew better of the young man’s bravado. After their moments of sweet kisses she soon found herself lying upon his bed, his left arm wrapped around her. They laid there for a bit, sharing what each of them had to do the next day. Isabella planning mentally to meet with Dimitri in the morning, and Mercy in the afternoon. She asked Octavien if he planned to pay Federico a visit, as the sooner that man was out of the Palace, the better she’d feel. His answer had been a simple agreement.

Then silence took over them, as Isabella’s thoughts lingered on trying to decipher where exactly they stood, what exactly she was feeling. She didn’t approve of the fact her feelings had taken over her earlier this day. She made a mental note to herself that she would really have to be aware, more so than usual of her actions. She had always been the level headed, in control Queen. She couldn’t allow her heart to change that.

And while she knew she could continue to be that said identity, she also could not deny that whatever it was that had taken control of her was a force to be reckoned with. She dwelt on that. Sure Octavien had changed her, he had introduced her to worlds she had thought previously to be mere fanciful illusions. Dreams of the young underprivileged. And now, well now she thought perhaps she had been wrong. Perhaps there really was an invisible feeling so tangible to build unbreakable bonds. She soon feared that if she did not claim it, if she did not make it hers, then it would claim her, taking over her actions again at the most inopportune time.

With her head resting on his left shoulder, and her fingers dancing gingerly over his chest, she mustered up the courage she needed to speak it audibly. “Octavien…” she started quietly to gain his attention. “You have introduced me to many things, you’ve changed me in so many ways. The biggest difference you’ve made is in my heart.” She scolded herself for dragging this out so long. Just say the damn words already. “The other night, when I looked upon you, and you asked why it was I was searching your face...” There was no answer, but she continued. “I believe it was love.” Isabella was silent, waiting for his answer, an answer that would not come.

She raised her head to look upon his face, she could discern his thoughts by looking into his eyes if he would not answer. However, she soon found his eyes to be closed. During their silent moments Octavien had drifted off to sleep. A smile came over her face as she studied his peaceful expression while he slept. Her eyes took in the bandages on his other shoulder. She had seen how deep that wound was, it had taken all her might to act as if it did not affect her. And her eyes returned to his face, she knew then that he must return her feelings. It was not simply himself he was fighting for, it was her as well. Then she knew.

With the safety of knowing no one was listening, she softly stated it to the sleeping man beside her. “Thank you, for all your gifts to me, the greatest of which is love. For I do believe I love you Octavien Lahance.” She reached over and placed an ever so gentle kiss upon his cheek, wishing to not wake him. She then left for her own Suite. Despite what he had said the hour or two ago, he did indeed need his sleep.

The new morning shed light on a slightly better rested Isabella. She had risen early to pay another visit to the Princess’ room. She looked upon the girl with sadness and pity. It was such a waste really, her father in his detachment had done the girl a world of harm. She also relayed to the Royal Physician what she had come to suspect after her visit with Felix. She hoped the information would make some sort of a difference, however she doubted it.

The rest of the morning went as routine as always. She was pleased to see that despite Edouard’s persistence of Duc d’Lorraine staying, he chose to listen to her and promote Comte d’Cognac. Now he was a Duc, an equal in rank to his brother. It was only a matter of time before she would have him appointed advisor. Things were looking up indeed.

After the announcements, she returned to her Suite, preparing to meet with Duc d’Lorraine. If this tour of the palace went as well as the rest of things had begun going, it would prove to be a very good day indeed.

((OOC: Whenever you're ready Seiza, Dimitri can find Isabella in her Salon. Or if you want to get there first, that's fine too.))
#132 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 3:59 PM
((Just a note to say I'm sorry I have been ignoring you all, my weekend was.... difficult. But I'm back now and paying attention guys!))
Field Researcher
#133 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 4:06 PM
The next morning found Dimitri standing by the windows of his suite, looking for all the world nothing like a man who had spent a cold evening in the gardens, dressed and ready to greet the sleepy sun. He was a lucky man, for two of his four walls held windows as tall as he—he could easily see the palace stables from where he stood; the far-off whinny of horses would be a good sound to wake up to.

He was watching several servants trudge through the icy morning to get to the stables, when the door to his suite opened softly. Rukov, having announced the arrival of the Prince’s aid earlier, now stood together with the elderly man in his suite.

Duc d’Lorraine,” the man bowed, to which Dimitri replied in kind. “I am Gilles, with a message from His Royal Highness Prince Octavien.” As he handed the letter, he continued in a slightly apologetic tone, “The Prince, being injured in the attack, was regrettably unable to pen the letter himself. Though the writing may be my own, the words are His Highness’.”

Dimitri thought the writing perfectly fine for a manservant, and nodded his appreciation. “Thank you, Gilles. Your writing is most pleasant to read.” If the man was surprised by his compliment, the Duc did not register it. He had spent a good many years treating his men that way. “Please inform the Prince that I will be honoured to join him for lunch. You may inform Rukov here or myself after the morning announcement where I shall meet him.”

“Very good, sir.”

After the door closed, Rukov spoke up. “I delivered your note to Baroness Venn last night, my lord. Should I cancel your meeting with her today?”

He had read the Baroness’ note after returning from the gardens, the indirectness of which had thrown him off yet made him chuckle. Not expecting the Prince to reply to him so soon, he had accepted her invitation and had Rukov deliver the note immediately. Dimitri thought it over. Although a meeting with the Prince himself took priority above almost anything else, it did not sit well with the Duc to cancel his appointment with Baroness Venn either.

“Nevermind, Rukov. I doubt it will be a long luncheon. The Prince will need his rest. Nonetheless, I expect you nearby should I need a message delivered urgently to Baroness Venn.”

His aid nodded, and they prepared to walk to the Grand Salon for the morning’s announcement.

Dimitri resisted the urge to groan as a horde of nobles surrounded him on their way out of the Grand Salon. As he feared, Edouard had openly announced his presence among them, and now a fair number of courtiers chattered mindlessly around him about nothing at all. None of them had paid him any attention the day before, when he had arrived tired and unwashed and clothing rumpled, and their two-faced behaviour galled his senses terribly.

Well! If he could not out-silence them, then he could certainly out-walk them. The Duc was never happier than now to see the stairs to the Queen’s Salon.

Knowing full well none of them could follow him there, he suddenly kissed the hand of the nearest lady, bade them all goodbye and made full use of his long legs to escape up the stairs.

Somehow, during the commotion, Rukov had stayed with him. The man now waited near the bottom of the stairs, adding his formidable strength to the guards’. Dimitri made himself presentable, tucking away stray hairs that escaped from their ribbon, his dark suit, his cream cravat; before the guard announced his presence to the Queen.

______

((Sorry for the slow reply, been busy moving back and forth between home and hostel. Shenan, feel free to bring Dimitri in and start somewhat on the tour.

*hugs* Sorry to hear that, Fayre, but glad you're back!))
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#134 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 4:35 PM
Default Octavien - morning
The night past had colored Octavien a liar. Despite what he had told Isabella, the young man was exhausted, and it hadn't been long - compared to the previous nights they had spent together - before he drifted off to sleep. His injured arm had kept them from giving in to the unbridled passion that usually overtook them sooner or later, and they had just laid in each others arms, sharing many amorous kisses in between a few scattered words here and there. Mostly, there had just been silence, with gentle fingertips travelling affectionately over naked skin, and Octavien had found the warmth of Isabella's body in his embrace so soothing that finally he could no longer fight his tired body, and tired mind. He had heard her voice somewhere in a far away distance, and struggled to cling to it, to hear her words, but it had been in vain. The needs that had been put aside for so long had finally claimed every last part of him, and he had drifted off to sleep, kept a prisoner by the exhaustion brought to him over the course of the past coule of days.

Only once dawn approached was he released, and he woke up to find that Isabella was gone. And according to Gilles, she had been gone for some time, having left shortly after midnight. That's when it occured to him. He had fallen asleep in her presence, and, if memory served him correctly, while she had been talking to him. Oh, the horror, the embarassment. When she had protested, he had claimed he'd needed no more sleep, that he simply needed her, only to shortly thereafter prove himslef to be nothing more than an overly confident fool. How humiliating.
However, Gilles soon eased his mind, claiming that the Queen had seemed most understanding, and not at all offended when he had escorted her back to the doors to her suite. "A most extraordinary woman, even for a Queen", he had said, well aware that whatever it was that had developed between her and his young master, it was something far different than any of Octavien's earlier escapades, for never before had he gone to such lengths to protect anyone else so ferociously and with such fervor
Yes... A most extraordinary woman indeed.

During Octavien's usual morning procedure of washing off, being groomed and dressed, the royal physician took the opportunity to visit, in order to examine the wound and change the bandages, and Octavien learned, much to his distress, that Adalita's condition had still not seen a change for the better. She was still as pale and fragile, a mere innuendo of the vibrant young woman she had been just two days earlier. Hope was wearing thinner with each hour that passed, and it was with a heavy heart that the physician prepared the young Prince that their worst fears might soon come true, and he would be a widower within less than a week of his wedding.

Needless to say, the morning annoucement was just as sombre as the last one. But this time, Octavien found himself able to pay a little more attention. Last morning, he had been all too wrapped up in his own plans and concerns, but now that the ones he could take care of himself had been taken care of, he was once again focused, and paid great attention when Comte d’Cognac was promoted to the title of Duc. As the dark-haired man stepped forward to recieve the scroll handed to him by the King, Octavien studied him quite intently, behind blue eyes wearing the usual mask of unconcerned cordiality.
So... This was 'Felix', the young man who had put himself to Isabella's disposal, and earned her respect. Silvius' brother, and, from what Isabella had said about their similarities, rival. Both dark-haired, and both fairly handsome. But, even at a first impression, some of their differences were quite obvious. For one, Comte - now Duc - d’Cognac was actually present for the morning announcement, a virtue his no-good brother had never learned to master, despite it's simplicity. And he even seemed to pay proper attention, instead of allowing his eyes to roam the Salon like a bored adolescent, in search of some young pretty thing to drool over.
Impressive, considering his heritage, if one was to draw conclusions of it's nature based on the behaviour of his brother.
Then again, perhaps Silvius was the sore thumb of that family, not Felix. Either way, Octavien made a mental note to have a "run-in" with the man sooner or later, to further assess him and his wit.

But that was to be a later matter. This morning, Octavien had other, more important things to do. There were loose ends that needed tying up. Minutes after the morning announcement's closing, he was on his way down to the dungeons, to see the prisoner, Marquess Berini, whom no one else had been allowed access to since he'd been brought down there. The reason that was to be given to anyone that tried, was that there were suspicions that there was more to the story than just the Marquess' hatred of the Prince. Given the fact that Adalita fell ill only hours before there was an attempt made on the Prince's life, it wasn't far fetched for anyone to think that perhaps there really was a conspiracy to rid the kingdom of the newlyweds. Thus, no one except Octavien himself was to talk to the prisoner, lest a possible accomplice got the the Marquess before the matter had a chance of being fully investigated.

It had all served to allow Octavien some time to gather his thoughts, and the Marquess to stew in his anxiety and fear for a while, making him that much more agreeable once Octavien decided it was time finish up the whole ordeal.
It was a method that had proved most efficent. The Marquess turned out to be very sympathetic to Octavien's wishes, and after a mere twenty minutes, the Prince made his way back to his suite, having given the Marquess his word that he would soon be allowed to see the light of day again, as long as it was on his journey away from the kingdom in which he was to never set foot again.

Feeling rather content with how well his plan had worked out, Octavien entered his suite, only to find yet another note waiting for him. This one, it turned out, was from Baroness Flight, and it soon had the smugness fading from the young Prince's mind, mentioning how a 'most pressing matter' had come to her attention and that it was urgent that she speak with him. Octavien knew the court well enough by now to realize that whatever it was, it was not likely that it was something all too pleasant. Which was all the more reason not to keep it waiting. Within minutes of having read it, a reply was dispatched with one of the young maids that were now part of his staff of servants.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Baroness Flight,

As I value your opinions and concerns as much as I do your company, this matter of urgency of yours shall be kept waiting no longer. Please find me in my suite, to share your thoughts over morning tea.

Cordialement,
Prince Octavien Lahance

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(((ooc: Sorry if the last part is rushed. I gotta ruuuuuuun. )))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Original Poster
#135 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 5:35 PM
Default Isabella & Dimitri
After the morning announcements Isabella readied herself for the morning ahead of her. She had held several “meetings” before, certainly the task ahead of here was not uncharted territory. However, this meeting was also unlike any other she had had previously. She did not have time to get to know the man, ascertaining if he would be cooperative or not. Even if she wished to use her feminine beauty to her advantage, which she did not, she doubted it would work on the war hardened Duc. The Duc had an air about him that reminded her much of Comte Gabriel-Lucien, another man who should have had the title others were granted but did not deserve.

If her gut feeling was correct, which it usually was, the best approach to take was an honest one. First, to show him that unlike her husband, she knew how royalty was to behave what was expected of her because of the crown she wore. She would prove herself in his eyes to be wise beyond her years. After she had done so, it would be safe to voice the fact that must have been obvious to him, despite his adoration for Edouard. That Edouard indeed was need of help. Maybe, just maybe, she hoped she would not have to be the first to state what was so blatantly obvious.

She was not in her salon but a few moments when a servant came through it announcing the Duc's arrival. She turned away from the northern window to acknowledge Dimitri’s presence. As the doors closed behind him, he fell into a deep bow, Isabella steadily made her way towards him, not to fast as to appear forceful, but not too slow as to seem lethargic. “Duc d’Lorraine,” she began with a polite cordial smile, “you are very prompt, a virtue I hold in high regard.” She smiled politely as he took her hand in his to place a quick kiss of greeting on her knuckles.

“I was just admiring the view of the forest,” she began, walking back towards the window she had been standing near. “I do so anticipate the arrival spring, I love the picture it paints of life returning to the seemingly dead trees, proving that any disaster is not eternal.”

As Dimitri gave his reply she simply listened to him, watching his mannerisms, looking for any signal on if he had his own ulterior motive for their meeting. Once he seemed done with his reply, Isabella clasped her hands together in front of her. “Shall we depart?” after he gave his acceptance the two of them left her salon and headed down the stairs. “I think we shall begin with the East Wing, although you may be quite familiar with it already, since your living quarters are located there.” As they neared the bottom of the stairs, she noticed his aid, Rukov, staring up at them.

((OOC: Fay, I’m sorry to hear you had a rough weekend. Glad to have you back! I can’t wait to see Mercy back in action! Really, it’s driving me crazy trying to predict what she’ll do.

Seiza – I hope this is okay. If you’d like me to change anything, please just say the word. I’ll be happy to adapt it. I figured the masses of courtiers would have dissipated by time we headed down, but thought Rukov would stay there loyally. But he’s not my NPC, so I really don’t know.))
#136 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 5:39 PM
Mercy only vaguely paid attention to the morning announcement she merely registered that it was ridiculous that a man so long absent from the court should have a title jump. she smiled as she wondered at what he'd had to do for that, scruffy little oik. She suddenly realised what she had just suggested to herself and went pale.

She couldn't believe it but she had seen it herself and in reality it made sense, when you put together the testimonies of various courtiers and staff. what to do, what to do....the reply soon answered that, she had had her hair trimmed the day before and the sun lightened bits were in part removed, it was a mousey colour know and she had it pinned behind her head, in a style more of formality her dress was a dark grey with black accents. In deed she seemed to be particularly serious today. quite fitting really.

On recieving the reply from the young Prince she set out, a grave thought in her heart and nothing more than practised grace and poise in her step. Her shoes were unusually flat, but they were more comfortable. Her head hurt slightly at the prospect of what was to come. Why was life so awkward she wondered as she approached the door of the Princes' rooms alone and had a Palace guard alert the occupant to her presense.
#137 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 8:12 PM
Default Felix
Three hours had passed since I'd recieved new orders from the Queen. Three hours spent pacing, planning and psychoanalysing every courtier down to their preferences in ruff size, all washed down with copious quantities of more brandy. And despite having paced what must have been miles around my suite, I was not a single step closer to demasking the traitor. I traipsed over to the large windows, glaring at the pinpricks of stardust appearing in the sky, forbidding them to appear and snatch even more time from me. They didn't seem to take much notice though, so I rounded on Pierre to vent my frustration at being unable to think clearly.

"Mon Dieu, do you have nothing better to do than skulk around my boudoir robbing my privacy?" I said harshly. The manservant inclined his head, in that polite yet slimy mannerism only he posessed.

"What would my lord have me do?" he said, not completely masking the bitterness in his voice.

"Oh, I don't know." I waved my arms in the air impatiently. "Just go forth into the street. And don't come back until morning, you're contaminating my thoughts." I watched as he scampered off, eager to escape my company. Turning from the window, I crossed the room to the polished tantalus from Moscow, fiddling with the complex contraption until I held a mouthful of Russia's finest export. Cringing slightly as it burned its path down my throat, I threw myself down atop of the four-poster bed and exhaled deeply. I rubbed my temples slightly in the hope it may provoke some divine intervention to my brain, but alas, God delights in being cruel to me.

I must have fallen asleep sprawled out atop of the bed like that, for next thing I knew it was dawn, my head felt like the devil, and Pierre was back. As my eyes adjusted to the morning light, I noticed he wasn't standing obediently in the corner like a good servant but rifling through cupboards as though he had lost something precious. I pushed myself up from the bed, silently tiptoeing up behind the filthy crook and coughing lightly.

"Lost something?" I commented, delighting in watching the greaseball squirm round to face me. He pulled a contorted expression that might have been an attempt at a smile, probably to try appease me before I chopped his head off right there on the spot. But I had little time for menial matters like beheading a decaying old servant; for some reason, my subconscious mind seemed to think I had somewhere to attend this morning. I couldn't for the life of me remember though, nor could I trust that damned rat to keep organise of my life for me. At first, my mind jumped to a brand new waistcoat, tailor-made in Milan with spun golden thread. But my subconscious thoughts nagged at me again, telling me I had little time to look my best for the occasion. Anyway, surely if the matter was of any gross importance, I wouldn't have forgotten so easily - bearing this thought in mind, I demoted the days choice of wardrobe to something less flamboyant.

I had just finished pulling on the second white glove to complete the outfit when my memory hit me in the face like a.. well, glove. Of course! The morning address! And if memory served me correctly, the last one I attended before I left in such a hurry, I was late to. Again. Did the court expect anything more from Comte Felix? Surely not. But I couldn't let it happen again, my conscience told me, not on my first full day of return to the court. Ruffles not quite tidy, I leapt up to reinstate the usual palace-morning tradition of fleeing from my suite like a rabid hound, racing down the stairs and bowing like some suave privateer to any passing courtier (particularly to the ladies).

Thankfully, this morning was one that broke tradition. I arrived almost on time, clattering through the doors into court and crashing into some old crone who proceeded to elbow me harshly in the ribs, probably breaking a few. Still clutching my injured ribs, I tried to listen as she croaked in my face.

"Felix Peitou-Charentes?" she inquired, glaring toadishly at me.

"Yes," I wheezed, ignoring the pain below my chest. "It's Comte to you, crone."

The old woman swelled indignantly, then directed one wisened old finger towards the front of court, where the King stood awaiting silence to address his court. Voices hushed as he began to speak, and my attention vaguely wandered between his words and the girl in the claret-red dress. That is, until I caught the end of his last sentence.

"... Peitou-Charentes"

I turned quizically to the old crone, silently mouthing to her a question. Did he refer to me or my absent brother? A hand in the small of the back pushed me forwards rather too violently, and I stumbled forwards silently grumbling over the injustice to both my ribs and spine and now this great inconvenience of having to step before the King. Speaking of which, I had no idea why I was being presented before the court. Probably for some jolly morning 'execution of the failures' ceremony.

“It is the opinion of our beloved Queen that you are most deserving of the title of Duc.” said the King, stepping forward to bestow the honour upon me. Suddenly I forgot about the broken ribs and stood up a little straighter. This was interesting.

With all eyes upon me, I couldn't help but feel the slightest twinge of stage fright. I wasn't sure what I should have been doing, so instead I bowed low and grinned like a merry idiot, watching as the King went about the ceremonial proceedings that accompanied the promotion. When he was apparently finished, I bowed deeply again, this time seeking out Queen Isabella's eyes as I did. I gave her a brief smile in acknowledgement, then fell back amidst the courtiers.

My promotion wasn't a mere congratulatory clap on the back, though. Of course, it was in part a thankyou gift for the efforts I'd made. But being made Duc put me one step higher on the ladder towards becoming advisor to the King. The Queen wanted a strong ally in that position, and I'd have to continue to prove to her that I was capable of being just that. And if I landed myself the role? Well, the constant scrutiny of the nation didn't appeal to me much. But the more mature side to me reasoned that I couldn't go on forever running around with women and alcohol like a teenage boy. Though at the tender young age of twenty-two, with all that vigor of youth to spare, surely a few more years of hedonism wouldn't hurt anyone..

"Duc Felix Delarue Peitou-Charentes. That's interesting. Though now I have one more thing in common with that infernal brother of mine. Duc Cognac, perhaps", I said aloud after the court had been dismissed, allowing the title to play around my lips, tasting it. Conveniently, my boasting was in earshot of that pretty thing in the red dress. Perhaps I'd make her acquaintance later, but the sudden brainwave occured to me that an occasion like this demanded partying, music, wine and ceremony of a different kind. Later on today, I would have to round up a few pals for a night of well-deserved, heavy indulgence.

((Completely braindead right now. Oh wells, I'll RP again properly when it turns midday, but for now this is just a quickie to say 'I'm not dead!' Yay for Duc Peitou-Charentes II No computer access over the weekend because I broke it xD Gotta love my failed geekdom.))
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#138 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 8:45 PM
Default Octavien & Mercy - morning tea in Octavien's suite
Even though the note from Baroness Flight had expressed a great urgency in meeting with him, Octavien was surprised that only a few minutes after the young girl servant had returned from delivering his reply, the arrival of the Baroness at his door was announced. Granted, he had expected her soon, but not this soon. Whatever was on the older woman's mind, it must be a pressing matter indeed for her to hurry so.

As he was just in the middle of changing from one frock coat to another, he motioned for Gilles to give him a minute. The dungeons had been most unpleasant, and he had returned to his suite with clothes that to him seemed both dusty and damp, although they probably felt it more than they looked it. Still, being anything but perfectly comfortable in the situation - which included his clothes - would immediately show, and that was something he could not tolerate. Thus, he had one of the servants help him off with the dark forest green coat he'd worn for the morning announcement, and fetch him a midnight blue one instead. Only once he'd been helped into it, did he motion for Gilles to open the doors.

"Please, show her in", he said, and gave himself a quick glance in the mirror to make sure he looked proper, with no rouge strands of hair falling out from the ribbon that, as always, was used to tie it back.

Seconds later the doors parted when Gilles pushed them open, and as the Baroness entered the suite, Octavien started making his way over to the small table and the comfortable arm chairs in the center of the room, while buttoning the last few buttons in the new coat.

"Baroness Flight", he greeted her with faint smile. "Your feet carry you swiftly. Please, take a seat."

He motioned towards the armchairs, and then waved as hand at one of the young servants to prepare serving the tea. Then his gaze settled on Mercy once again, taking a moment to study her face, as he remembered the small cut that had blemished her features when last they met, but also in an attempt to discern whatever it was that could possibly be on her mind.

"I take it you are in good health, considering you look as radiant as ever?"

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
#139 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 9:00 PM
Silvius smiled at Annelise, letting her rest her hand on his arm as they strolled through the rose gardens. He sighed happily, enjoying her presence again even though he still missed Adalita even though he hadn't seen her for a while: and hadn't kissed her in longer

"It's true I have really missed you" he said to her, smiling happily as they sat down on a bench beside each other

He moved slightly to make room for Annelise's large dress as she sat down, and he simply gazed at her happily. Silvius sighed once more, he didn't know what to say, just relaxed in her presence under the warm sun

"So...my darl...I mean, Annelise, what have you been up to while you've been away?" he asked, "any suave young lovers?" he teased
#140 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 9:07 PM
"Radiant?" My the Prince is certainly too kind to an old Dame like myself." Mercy spoke lightly but did not smile, she watched as the young lady who served the tea left. She sensed rather than knew about the presense of the Prince's faithful manservant. But that was too be expected and she had no doubt she could speak in front of him.

She still knew to approach with caution one could not just jump in to conversations, she felt cold in the man's room, it was not cold, she just felt it perhaps it was her feelings or perhaps it was her purpose in being there, whatever it was she refused to shiver. She did not want to detract from what she felt was her obligation.

"My dear Prince are we alone?" She asked quietly, "I of course do not refer to your right hand man but I feel that this conversation is not one for all open ears." She did not look at him but rather forward and slightly down, so that from the distance from him at which she sat, she could only see his legs and even then just out of the corner of her eye. "Afterall you should be perfectly safe around me, I am but a humble Baroness and am hardly a threat to an upstanding man such as yourself." She spoke plainly again her voice even quieter and slightly sombre in tone. She did not mention his injury, she did not need to feel sorry for the man at this moment.
#141 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 9:08 PM
{{Can you get off each other about accurate-ness?}}

Annelise gigglied slightly, resting her pale eyes on the man beside her. She had indeed missed him, and had missed the fact that they always managed to miss the morning address, such as they had this morning. She let her curled hair fall around her shoulders, not bothering to brush it away.

"what have you been up to while you've been away? Any suave young lovers?"

"Alas, no. I didn't meet anyone, just a few grave robbers. And I had no plans to, it was simply for family matters, Silvius. I thought I'd mentioned that, but maybe not." She smiled, light and airy in the morning sun. "I'd like to know who you were involved with while I was away. That, or what you did."

The more she thought about, the more obvious it became. He'd probably been with Adalita, a few stray glances at other women, a few stray thoughts about her. The more she thought about it, the more she wanted to.

She leaned across the space between them, and kissed his lips lightly. "Sorry." She bit her lip, almost worried he wouldn't be fine with this.
#142 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 9:11 PM
((Ruby as our darling shenan has always said Accuracy is soooo very important in this roleplay, and so we all have to allow ourselves to be corrected.))
#143 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 9:16 PM
Silvius breathed in happily and looked down at Annelise. She was different from what he remembered, but she was possibly even better, and he gently stroked her hair. She kissed him; and he smiled with glee and exhaled happily

"Hmm I'm certainly missed that" he laughed

He took her hand and pulled her to her feet, scowling at the time of day and he grinned again though, just enough to look into her eyes made him swoon uncontrollably. Oh yes, he had missed her more than he knew

"I wasn't involved much..." Silvius said, biting his lip in the same way, "Adalita and I had something for a while: we were engaged" he looked down at the gold band on his ring finger still, "but she married Octavien"
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#144 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 9:27 PM
Default Octavien & Mercy - tea in Octavien's suite
(((ooc: Ruby - What do you mean? There's a big difference between months and simply 48 hours, and it makes a HUGE difference in game-play... We have set days and times of days, so that everyone will know where and when we are at...)))

What Octavien saw when studying the Baroness as they both sat down by the small table had him worried. It was evident that whatever was on her mind, was weighing quite heavily on her fragile shoulders as well. Everything about her - her posture, her expression, her body language, the way her gaze favored the floor over Octavien himself - made that all too clear.
And even if it hadn't, her words alone would be testament enough that something was indeed not as it should be.

At her question if they were alone, Octavien looked around the spacious room, and as she kept on talking, he gave Gilles a discreet nod. To most, it might not have said all that much, but to the older man, it was a message to see to it that no one disturbed them, at least not until Octavien gave further notice.

When she reached the statement of posing no threat to him, Octavien's aristocratic brows furrowed, his mind reeling, trying to figure out what exactly she was hinting at.

"My dear Baroness Flight", he said as her ever lowering voice finally ceased to be heard at all. "You worry me. Please, what is it that causes you this much distress, and how may I help?"

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
#145 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 9:42 PM
"I want you to tell me something Octavien..." Mercy turned to look at him. She had used his first name, but at that moment social class could not be a boundary, she was doing a job, something she had to do.

"She is still a young woman, indeed a trapped young woman. And for that reason I cannot be sure she fully understands her own feelings." she clasped her hands tightly in her hands, the words she was speaking sounded so strange, especially with the stress on the word trapped but she felt they were necessary. "And so I must ask about your feelings for her, her husband may not stir up the feelings within her that you do..." she paused, "but emotions can be unrequited." She held his gaze, he was no longer the Prince, he was in that moment the man who had once requested her daughter's hand in marriage, the man she had let slip through without making sure he was good enough. Her deepest regret and the wedge between mother and daughter, and whilst Octavien seemed nice, many people did, especially within this court.
Original Poster
#146 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 10:39 PM
((OOC: Yes, I'm afraid accuracy is something we really need to strive for in this RP. It's so brilliantly twisted all on it's own merit, it doesn't need more things to throw us off. Also, I'd like to verify that it is now the next day for Silvius and Annalise. Only cause stylequeen, your post seems take off right from where Silvius was last. But in that time Ruby had written posts with Seiza saying she left Silvius in the gardens. There's also no mention to the night passing and the new day being made. I'm not trying to be a brat, just these things really need to stay in line. Other wise I wouldn't bother to announce new parts of days, and new days. We'd all just go along on our merry way. But this RP can't function correctly with that.))
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#147 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 10:46 PM
Default Octavien & Mercy - morning tea in Octavien's suite
"I want you to tell me something Octavien..."

Hearing the Baroness address him by his first name, the young Prince blinked with surprise, almost as though he thought he must've heard her wrong. "Octavien"? What on earth had gotten in to her, all of a sudden? Granted, her tone thus far had been fairly less formal than was customary, but Octavien hadn't minded. Nor did he really mind her using his first name, as he was still having a bit of trouble digesting his recent change of title. Or rather, titleS. But... calling a royal by their first name, even with their consent, was a delicate matter. Doing so without their consent, could be interpreted as a downright insult, a blatant sign of complete and utter disrespect.
And the Baroness was not foolish enough to deliberately offend a member of the royal family, previously untitled or not. Nor was she by any means ill-bred enough to do it unintentionally.

However, before he had the chance to even give her a questioning look, she continued, and what she had to say was to shock him even more than the use of his first name did.
At first, he thought she was talking about Adalita; a young woman, "trapped" in an arranged marriage to someone she didn't particularly care for (despite his good intentions to keep her and the rest of her family from being the laughing stock of the kingdom), even though the "trap" had only been the result of her own foolish doing. But as the Baroness mentioned "her husband", seemingly referring to someone other than Octavien, he blinked again.
And then he paled. All color seemed to drain from his face, to vanish in a heart beat, as it dawned on him who this "young woman" Mercy spoke of really was.
But... It was impossible! There was no way she could know! They had been so very careful, trusting only Gilles and Margret with their secret, and those two would rather run head first into a flaming building before ever betraying Octavien and Isabella to anyone.

Staring at Mercy, who now had him firmly fixed with her piercing gaze, Octavien's initial reaction was to deny, deny, deny. For everyone's sake. Isabella's especially. Things would be bad enough for him if word got out, but it was Isabella that had seen to it that he was promoted, and everyone knew it. He had arrived at this court, nothing but an untitled but wealthy young man. People would, on some logical, decadent level, understand his desire to climb the social ladder, and for doing what he could to do so. But no one would understand the Queen's reasons for doing what she had done.

But, as he looked at the expression on Mercy's face, he knew that even if he did deny it, she wouldn't believe him, no matter how good an actor he was. And she wasn't bluffing, of that he was certain. She was a shrewd woman, yes, but the Prince truly doubted she was a malicious one.

His reasoning left him with only one option. Only one thing remained; the truth. And, even though it didn't require any acting skills, or tactical thinking, it was perhaps the most difficult thing to say, of all, considering it was the first time he really addressed his feelings, and it wasn't even to the person that ought to be the first to hear it.

"I...", he started, after swallowing once, and being silent for a few seconds, trying to gather his thoughts and find the right words. "Whatever her feelings may be, unrequited they are not. That you must believe. I have gone as far as to condemned myself to a marriage to a girl that neither loves me nor respects me, simply to be close to... her."

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
#148 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 11:09 PM
Mercy nodded gently, she had absorbed the looks the young Prince had given her, she watched his instincts be broken down and reconstructed into the something much more constructive, the truth. She listened to his tentative words, words she felt were sincere and perhaps even previously unspoken. She left the untouched teacup on the table and rose. Drawing herself up to her full height, she walked towards him.

"That was a good answer and it has brought you three things, only one of which you truly need, first my respect for what you are willing to do, second my silence on this matter, in return for yours, I see no need for this discussion to reach the Queens' ear... and third..." She paused what was the point? It was a token gesture and would he even take it the right way? Well he had taken everything thus far in his stride "and third... my blessing." She lowered herself gently so her face was level with the Princes', and so her positioning prevented him from standing.

"But be warned, if you ever hurt that beautiful young woman, I will make your last attacker seem like the Queen's maid." The irony of this statement of course was not known to Mercy. "I will hunt you down." She paused, and blinked." And kill you." Her last words were so quiet that had she not been commanding all of Octaviens attention she would have sworn he would not be able to hear her.

She took the young man's hand, and gently kissed it in the way one indeed should treat Royalty. Before raising, turning on her heel and walking swiftly and decidedly out of his chambers with a pain-stakingly polite, "My deepest wishes for your speedy return to health your Highness."

(( Well who'da thought Mercy was capable of that? ))
#149 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 11:30 PM
((I'm off to bed too. And no, I don't really expect him to! But it has been said and Mercy shall deal with the repercussions ))
#150 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 11:37 PM
((LOL fayre, I really wouldn't want to bump into Mercy on a bad day! Formidable is an understatement xD Silvius and Annelise need to hop in the great RPing time machine I have often used and make their way back to the future Meh, I'm silly and tired and apologizing for spam is just as bad as spamming :einstein I'll shut up now))

Page 6 of 19