Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#676 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 4:38 PM
Especially considering the people who wrote them like to have their writing intact; I was heartbroken when a thread I had been active in was deleted and all my writing was lost.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Ghandi
Advertisement
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#677 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 4:47 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with Alissa and trampled. Like trampled, I've had RPs I was in deleted without notice, and my writing lost, and it still stings. Plus, sometimes it's just alot of fun to go back and read old RPs. And, last but not least, it's a great way for creators of new RPs to learn and get ideas.
So deletion; nooo. Archiving; is already done, to a point, I believe.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
#678 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 5:28 PM
Maybe they should be put in a archive section

there are rp's like ski trip that haven't been posted in for months.
Scholar
#679 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 5:34 PM
Fair enough, but archived RPs can't be accessed unless they're brought back into the forums and so, if someone wanted to read the RP again, they'd have to get a mod to reactivate it and it just becomes a futile process to archive the RP, only to bring it back again? But yes, I see what you mean, I just don't think the section's over flowing with RPs just yet

"Life is just a chance to grow a soul" - A. Powell Davies
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#680 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 5:36 PM
freelancetada - True, but archiving all currently inactive RPs would make the RP forum a wasteland. And wastelands don't tend to attract new players. I realize the actual techincal difference is zero, but perception-wise, it just looks more appealing with alot of actual RP threads in there, because it goes on to show that even though the forum is in a bit of a slump right now as opposed to about a year ago, there's still been plenty of action.

And again, it helps with ideas. People aren't as likely to venture into a subforum unless they are specifically looking for ideas, whereas just seeing something in passing might create ideas where there are none. Know what I mean?

Furthermore, the active RPs always remain on top, and so it's not like possible new players have to go search for them and/or be unable to find them.

Just my 2 cents...

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Top Secret Researcher
#681 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alissa888
Fair enough, but if archived RPs can't be accessed unless they're brought back into the forums and so, if someone wanted to read the RP again, they'd have to get a mod to reactivate it and it just becomes a futile process to archive the RP, only to bring it back again? But yes, I see what you mean, I just don't think the section's over flowing with RPs just yet

Maybe he's thinking of something like the closed contest and finished story sections elsewhere on the site. I had thought about asking about that actually, but then I realized that it would get all tangly and messed up. In viper's nest's case, the first thread, by eternal sunshine, ended, and then four or five other RPs did, and then the second one ended, and another two or three, so tracking one multi thread RP would be a pain in the butt like that.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Scholar
#682 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 5:42 PM
Maybe... is there any way to merge the threads of the split and finally inactive threads? Like, putting Viper's 1,2,3 and 4 together? That might make it easier.

But also, like Atropa said, the old RP threads are excellent for ideas and it frankly does inspire people to stick around and try it out.

#683 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 6:32 PM
What if it was split up into active and inactive rps?

It's not fair to someone if they see an rp and don't notice it hasn't been posted in for months and makes a character only to discover it's dead on posting.
Top Secret Researcher
#684 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 6:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by freelancetada
What if it was split up into active and inactive rps?

It's not fair to someone if they see an rp and don't notice it hasn't been posted in for months and makes a character only to discover it's dead on posting.

Ummm, someone would just have to glance at the previous reply, in the upper left. Or if they get in through the forum, note the date of the last reply. It isn't that complicated if the person takes the twenty seconds to scroll up or process on the forum board.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#685 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 6:52 PM
I have to agree with FurryPanda on that one. If someone is interested in joining an RP, it should also be in their interest to check the date of the last post. We can't simplify things to the point of absurdity just because some people don't bother to look at what is in plain sight...

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Scholar
#686 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 7:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Atropa
I have to agree with FurryPanda on that one. If someone is interested in joining an RP, it should also be in their interest to check the date of the last post. We can't simplify things to the point of absurdity just because some people don't bother to look at what is in plain sight...

May as well add me to the I agree with that list. It's kind of silly to have to simplify something that much. If nothing's been posted since June and it's December, I'd sort of safe to say it's dead.

Also I'm right with the not deleting the threads. I'd be really upset if all my threads were deleted, after so much time and energy was put into them. I enjoy going back and re reading them too, it's fun!

You can call me Robyn, tis my name after all
SixWordStories
#687 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 10:30 PM
But why keep dead rp's in the same section with the ones that are alive?
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#688 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 10:35 PM
Why not?
Like I said in my other post, the forum would be a wasteland without them, and they help spark ideas. I really don't think it's that much of an issue...? They don't seem to bother most players.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Scholar
#689 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 10:45 PM
Freelancetada, as mentioned above, I don't think it takes much to distinguish a dead RP from a live one. Furthermore, if the old SS had been archived, people wouldn't have got together to revive it because they wouldn't have seen/known it existed at all.

So, yes, it's better that they're left where they are - they can be revived/give rise to new ideas. I don't really see the point of complicating matters and sticking them elsewhere

#690 Old 3rd Nov 2008 at 11:59 PM
It's just so very cluttered =P
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#691 Old 4th Nov 2008 at 12:01 AM
No more than any other forum here... But that's just my opinion. Personally, I like seeing forums look alive.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Top Secret Researcher
#692 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 10:42 PM
And I suppose I should add, for the record, that my superhero/supevillain RP is still open, since every few months someone seems interested. Once I get enough people, and at least one of them is someone I know, I will open it... but 5 people, 3 of them new, and one of those three known to be a particularly... *no diplomatic way to say it* RPer... I think its better to leave it in open stasis then start it, but once I have enough people, I will start it. Good for new people probably, as there's utterly no backposts to wade through.

I wouldn't comment, but dangit, it seems to refuse to drop permanently dead of its own accord! Quite inexplicable.

Instructor
#693 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 4:35 AM
Does anyone know what happened to JCardy? It looks like he's banned but I'm not sure If it's permanent or not. Just asking because I had wanted to ask him if he planned on reopening the Gossip Girl Roleplay.
Instructor
#694 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 5:48 AM
Would it be way too much if the threads got 'categories' like the Contest board? Into Inactive, Active, and Undecided or something like that?

♣. Call Me Janne .♣
Looking for staff for a new sim magazine (based in S Korea)
Tweet Tumblr Coming Soon
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#695 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 11:35 AM
Personally, I still think that it would kill the RP forum even more. Take Sweet Sixteen for instance. I doubt that one would have been restarted, if the old one had been stacked away in an "Inactive" forum, because no one would have paid attention to it. If the threads get seperated, the chances of something like that happening, for an old roleplay to be brought back to life, will be minimal.

And, I honestly think that having all the threads together has a far better chance at sparking people's inspiration, than a tiny forum with just four threads. It looks so very meager and poor, and I think it's kind of sad that some of you guys want to take the old threads and just dump them someplace else, instead of benefitting from having them around with the rest.

Just my :2cents:

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Test Subject
#696 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 1:14 AM
I was brainstorming the other day. And I came up with a new RP concept. You may not like it, but it was just an idea that possiblly a small group of people could work on creating it.

Here it goes;

A Music Festival RP.

My idea of it would be to have a large music festival, a couple of BIG bands, and a couple of 'indie' bands. Everyone participating in the RP could either be a band member, band manager, roadie, groupie or close friend of the band.

Just imagine it. There could be all sorts of drama.

Of course I would expand on my ideas MUCH more if some of you were in favour of the idea.

So, what do you think?
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#697 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 1:15 AM
Sounds interesting for sure. I'm up to my neck with characters already, but I don't think I'd be able to resist. And we do need more life around here, so yeah... You've got my support.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
#698 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 9:31 PM
IAmMadi, that idea ia AMAZING =D
Test Subject
#699 Old 25th Dec 2008 at 7:05 AM
IAmMadi- I think its a great idea, and to be honest, the reason I joined the site was to RP. The idea is pretty original and if you need help organizing I'd love to help. If its not out of line I have a few ideas on the setup and some rules but if you don't need any help I'm happy just to play. So excited, ::squee:: I'm gonna work on my character!!!
Field Researcher
#700 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 8:30 PM
I really love your idea as well IAmMadi! Really unique

Page 28 of 31