Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jan 2018 at 9:19 AM
Default HDD Replace With SSD
Hello, Everyone! I want to change my HDD to SSD. I want to know that is Samsung 850 EVO 1TB is better option? anyone use this I read review about it but I want to know from user or is there any other recommendation?

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 11th Jan 2018 at 1:28 AM
As someone who uses an SSD as my primary drive, I can say that it's a very good choice for speed. Your computer can retrieve and write files much more quickly than hard drives. HDDs have mechanical parts that can move and have its arms/platters break easily compared to SSDs that use chips. Also no need to defragment an SSD. So I would definitely recommend it.

Now if it's not your question, perhaps you meant for us to compare two different SSDs. Could you reword your question? Right now, we don't know what you are comparing with the Samsung 850 EVO 1TB drive.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Field Researcher
#3 Old 17th May 2018 at 12:45 AM Last edited by Kunder : 18th May 2018 at 2:03 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by joanna1
Hello, Everyone! I want to change my HDD to SSD. I want to know that is Samsung 850 EVO 1TB is better option? anyone use this I read review about it but I want to know from user or is there any other recommendation?

Thanks in advance
SSD's are superior. However......

Windows 10 is VERY hard on an SSD. I recommend Windows 8.1, and classic shell. With that said:

For the sake of the health of your SSD:

Eliminate your Swapfile if you have better than 8gb/RAM (12/16/Etc.). You won't need it. IF you're a heavy gamer, just add 32gb/RAM if your motherboard/chipset can handle it, and if you have the $$$ for it.
Most likely, if you have 16gb/RAM, you won't need a swapfile, regardless of what game you're playing.

If you have 8gb, or less, move your swapfile to the mechanical drive.

Have your "personal" folders (My Documents/Downloads/Etc.), directed to your mechanical drive.

All your TEMP/TMP, and any other temporary files, should be directed to your mechanical drive.

If you're a gamer, this is important, as saved games being re-written will be offset by this. If you know how to do it, your save games files can be directed to the mechanical drive in some games.

Make sure TRIM is activated for your SSD.

If you think you need a 128gb SSD.. Get a 256gb SSD. They need room to "breathe". Don't crowd it.

Keep your O/S on the SSD. If you're a gamer looking for a speed boost, install your games on your SSD!

The above has a couple of things going for it:

Even though the average user probably won't wear out the average SSD, Bear this in mind.....

SSD's deteriorate as their data is "erased". The memory cells have a finite number of times they can be written to/erased. Doing the above decreases the rate of that deterioration exponentially! especially for Gamers.
Using TRIM, increases the life of your SSD, and keeps it healthy, by trimming off the "dead bits". Having extra room, really helps here.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE ROOM FOR A SECOND HDD, and no optical drive:

You probably have an SD card reader.... You can put a 64, or 128gb SD card in the reader, and use it for the same purpose. Do NOT remove the SDcard!!!

My wife has this setup because she wants to keep her optical drive. She doesn't want to resort to using and external OD.

The SDcard has been serving well, in that role, except for the swapfile. Add ram, eliminate it.

IF you have an NVMe DRIVE:

These are at least 5 times faster than an SSD, but they're a little more touchy at being crowded.

O/S ONLY! Unless you can afford one over 512Gb. The slowdown is quite noticeable, as you add programs to it.
I've installed quite a few of these, and my advice is to go 128gb, and use it for your O/S only.

Make SURE your computer is NVMe compatible, BEFORE purchasing a drive.

Hope this helps!