Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Apr 2010 at 11:30 PM Last edited by joninmobile : 11th Apr 2010 at 6:58 AM.
Default Custom Create A Sim Screen Tutorial
This small tutorial will show you how to make your own CAS screens (or default replacement texture) for the sims 3 using s3pe.

Firstly you need to open an in game file found here:
C:/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Game Data/Shared/Packages/Full Build 2
you should have the sort box checked at the bottom, under preview have Value selected, Under Display have Names, and Tags checked.
Now you can click Name at the top, then Tag at the top, this will sort them in alphabetical order, and by IMG tag.
There is a big long list of everything there you can find all kinds of textures to change, but we are working on our CAS screen so find all of the IMG files for "CAS"
Multiple select all the IMG files that start with "CAS" by holding down ctrl + left clicking on them.
once you have them all selected, right click on them and select export to file. Then do File/Close. It's very important that you do not change the file names of the IMGs when you export to file or edit in your photo editor!
You should see all that text for all your IMGs go away and now you can right click the white part of the inside of the blank screen and do import from file and find where you exported your IMGs for CAS screens. Leave S3PE open
Now go to where you exported them (I like to keep a folder on my desktop for exported files) and open them in gimp, photoshop, or any image editor that supports .dds Here you can mess around with the textures. In gimp before you save, select Compression BC3/DXT5 and check the box for Generate mipmaps and then click ok. I'm not sure how to save as .dds in photoshop, because I don't use it.
Now back in s3pe, right click on any area where you see the text and do import from file. You should see it cross out the old ones and replace the IMGs with your newly edited ones. Then do file/save as and give it a file name fitting the CAS screen you want to do. This will save it as a .package you can install into The Sims 3!

Tips and Tricks:

About Walls:

The Walls in the CAS screen rooms are very odd, they look best with either a solid color, vertical stripes, or a gradient (blending) colors. The inside color of the walls also applies to the ceiling as well. And in the view in the mirror the bottom half of the wall is odd if you use a wallpaper, stripes or another texture other than bucket fill or gradient.

About the View:

The view in the CAS screen room window will always be MUCH brighter than what you have in your image editor! This is because there is sunlight coming in.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 4th Aug 2010 at 6:05 PM
I have a question, Could this be the same tutorial as for The Sims 2 or no? Thanks so much for this tutorial!!!!♥

(()) Pass the ribbon around if you know someone
//\\ that has survived, died, or is living with cancer
Test Subject
#3 Old 8th Jan 2011 at 7:32 PM
I cant open Full Build 2, what should i open it with?
Thanks!
Test Subject
#4 Old 8th Jan 2011 at 8:08 PM
Like he already wrote, you need S3PE. On Vista and 7 you may need to start it as an administrator since FullBuild2 is inside the Program Files folder.

Phil.
Test Subject
#5 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 10:29 AM
how many "CAS" files are there? i only can find 2
Test Subject
#6 Old 15th Mar 2011 at 3:17 PM
Wow, that's different to sims 2! thanks for making a pink cas screen!
Test Subject
#7 Old 23rd Apr 2011 at 10:21 PM
Default I cannot find the right place!!
This is all the further I can go. And then, even when I go to click on the build 06 one, it does not know what to use to open it. PLEASE help!
Thank you!
Screenshots
Scholar
#8 Old 23rd Apr 2011 at 11:01 PM
First, this is the wrong folder, it's in program files (or "program files (x86)" if you have that folder), not on your dvd drive. Look at the first post again. Second, open it in s3pe. It clicking on the file itself doesn't work, just start S3PE and use file->open. If you open it readonly (there is a checkbox) it will work even without admin rights.
Test Subject
#9 Old 3rd Sep 2011 at 9:38 PM
Firstly you need to open an in game file found here: PS were you have saved the game
C:/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Game Data/Shared/Packages/Full Build 2
or
C:/Program Files(x64)/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Game Data/Shared/Packages/Full Build 2
or
E:/games/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Game Data/Shared/Packages/Full Build 2
Were you have saved the sims
Test Subject
#10 Old 13th Sep 2012 at 6:39 AM
Where do i download this at?
Eminence Grise
#11 Old 14th Sep 2012 at 4:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by All4thesims
Where do i download this at?

Where do you download WHAT at? S3PE? The link above still works.
Test Subject
#12 Old 22nd Sep 2012 at 2:30 PM
Is it possible to make custom CAS room? I mean like a whole new room, not just new textures. Can you make a lot from your CAS-room like in The Sims 2?
Eminence Grise
#13 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 2:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by acdsabolevaa
Is it possible to make custom CAS room? I mean like a whole new room, not just new textures. Can you make a lot from your CAS-room like in The Sims 2?

You might be able to modify the room using a mesh editor. You can't do it using in-game build tools. It's its own object. Hence the tutorial
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 1:50 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I'm a late bird just learning about Sims 3 Game,
I was wondering, if someone has already exported the files (.dds) to a folder (like desktop)
then, someone could zip/rar/7z the files and give it to another person to edit.
then after receiving the finished edited files (.dds) they could use the S3PE to save it as a .package file to use in game?
or do you have to extract, export, edit, .import these files at ounce (having to keep S3PE open) ?

After creating such changes to the .dds file and packaging them,
how does it over-write the original files in your Full Build 2 package file in your game folder
you can only have be 1? right? *highlander*
Quote: Originally posted by joninmobile
Some things you should know about CAS screens:

You can't have more than one in your Mods/Packages at any given time.
But always make sure you do not have more than one in there!

Conducting Parallel Simulated Fantasy Experiments
Test Subject
#15 Old 14th Aug 2013 at 1:37 PM
Default Help!
Can someone make like an ocean-themed CAS or polkadots? ^o^ I cant seem to get it right, I dont know what I'm doing wrong
Eminence Grise
#16 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 2:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mopsymo0
Can someone make like an ocean-themed CAS or polkadots?

No requests allowed at MTS If you have a more specific question about how to do it yourself, you'll probably get some help though! Where are you running into problems, and what exactly is happening?
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 25th Nov 2018 at 4:53 PM Last edited by SY_89 : 25th Nov 2018 at 7:23 PM.
Default Sims Medieval CAS room
Sorry to revive an old thread. Thnx for showing us how to. I'm currently working on making The Sims Medieval CAS Room and UI for the Sims 3. I have no idea if it's going to work but I would love it if someone experienced would help me out. I've found the image and UITX files for the UI in S3PE and I even downloaded a custom CAS Room and opened it in The Sims Workshop to get an idea of what files I'm looking for but there are so many files and it's overwhelming. :D
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 19th Feb 2024 at 2:14 PM Last edited by whiteman-Dara : 19th Feb 2024 at 8:15 PM. Reason: Skip characters
I have an image of a whole CAS from another mesh, how can I divide it into walls, floors, etc. to simply replace the standard CAS?