Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Dec 2018 at 7:45 PM
Default Does anyone know how to get an object to play a specific custom sound.
Does anyone know how to get an object to play a specific custom sound.

I know how to get an object to play a specific sound that's already in the game, but what if i want to use a sound of my own in .wav or .mp3 format.

Any tips, would be much appreciated.
Advertisement
Deceased
#2 Old 31st Dec 2018 at 8:01 AM
Wish I could help more - I always wanted to add a nice alarm clock sound to my working alarm clocks mod. Before I go into what I learned playing around with it long ago, I should mention that I've been told multiple times that someone made a method for playing custom sounds by inserting an MP3 of it into the Custom Music folder and triggering that somehow. Everytime someone mentions it though I seem to be busy with something else, forget to look at it and then lose track of just what mod uses this tactic.

So, I did manage once ages ago to encode an MP3 into the game's native audio file format. I think I may have even replaced one of the built-in sounds as a test. All that work was done on an old computer which experienced a traumatic hard drive crash, and many of my "not that important" files were not backed up. I fear the directory I was playing around with that stuff is probably one of those ones that I never recovered as I can't seem to find it.

Having figured out that native file format for the audio resource, I ran into the fact that another resource (PROPX if I recall correctly) was required in order to control how that audio resource plays (looping, effects, etc.). I did get a binary template from EA for that resource type, but wasn't able to figure out exactly what all the parameters meant in order to create a new PROPX for a completely new audio resource. EA didn't reply to a request for more information and I moved on to other tasks and haven't gone back to press to see if I could get more info.

I'll see if I can find that old folder somewhere on my hard drive, and also if I can find the discussion thread on EA forums regarding that PROPX resource and update here if I find anything.
Deceased
#3 Old 31st Dec 2018 at 8:16 AM
Ok, I did manage to find that folder - oddly it was in the most obvious of places I guess I hadn't looked there

There is a notes file I left for myself, but it's not entirely clear what I meant with all of those notes. I also have some shortcuts to various web pages which have some useful information, some of the posts added after I'd been playing around (Feb 2016 it looks like) so possibly there may be some more information now that I'm not up to date on, and I have too many irons in the fire right now to put much thought into trying to figure this out again at this time.

Anyway, attached is a zip with my notes, that binary template for the PROPX (and that may require updating from EA if the format of that resource has changed), and the shortcuts to the forum posts here on MTS that I'd used to figure out how to decode/encode that SNS audio file format.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Sound.zip (3.0 KB, 11 downloads) - View custom content
Deceased
#4 Old 31st Dec 2018 at 8:20 AM
And last but not least I located that thread on EA Forums.... https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/di...omment_14595770