Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jan 2019 at 8:11 PM
Why's SimGM so popular?
I'm not criticizing simGMproductions but I'm interested in why their content is popular and why so many people watch them. Is it the idea? is it the questionable comedy (no offense but I don't find it funny, I mainly find GMOD machinima as my source of comedy but that's my opinion) or is it the marketing genius behind it? I would like to know so I can educate myself on getting content out there to the audience
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 12th Jan 2019 at 8:36 PM
Never heard of them.

~Livestreams and Livesimming served up with a soupçon of silly and a whole lot of story.~

http://www.youtube.com/TheJessaChannel

Theorist
#3 Old 12th Jan 2019 at 8:42 PM
What's a SimGM?

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Scholar
#4 Old 12th Jan 2019 at 8:45 PM
@Orphalesion @TheJessaChannel

SimGMproductions is a YouTube Channel (I think)?

Copied & Pasted from their "About Me": Sims 2 spoofs of popular shows, movies, and people. We spoof Keeping Up With the Kardashians, Catfish, Glee, Pretty Little Liars, Lana Del Rey, and so much more!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 12th Jan 2019 at 9:01 PM
If you're looking to figure out how to market your work - which is what it sounds like - you need to look into the psychology of sales, the mechanics of word of mouth, propaganda theory, and other aspects of entrepreneurial self-promotion.

I doubt very much if the people who run this site did anything particular to attract a following. The channel is there, people used it, people shared it with their simming friends. Presumably the page has metadata that makes it turn up in searches for sims content and the machinima format. That's how most "popular" fan content is disseminated. And the audience accumulates over time, until one day a tipping point arrives and they're "popular," whatever that may mean in the context of the fandom.

Generally speaking, people who care about "popularity" never get what they're after. They feel that there's a trick to it and if they can find the secret formula, the proper pattern of button mashes, the precise algorithm, they will suddenly be popular, and they get frustrated when it doesn't happen. But here's the truth: Nobody knows how this works. Publishers don't. Agents don't. Movie producers don't. Software investors don't. All the professional acumen in the world can't control which videos go viral, which style will become a fashion trend, which book will finance castles in Scotland, which face will launch a thousand ships.

You do the best work you can. You put it out there, somewhere - where ever you can without compromising its essential features. It takes off, or it doesn't. It may go up like a rocket and down like a stick, or may lie online quietly accumulating views and suddenly, ten years on, become a household name.

Don't make yourself crazy trying to figure it out.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Jan 2019 at 9:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
If you're looking to figure out how to market your work - which is what it sounds like - you need to look into the psychology of sales, the mechanics of word of mouth, propaganda theory, and other aspects of entrepreneurial self-promotion.

I doubt very much if the people who run this site did anything particular to attract a following. The channel is there, people used it, people shared it with their simming friends. Presumably the page has metadata that makes it turn up in searches for sims content and the machinima format. That's how most "popular" fan content is disseminated. And the audience accumulates over time, until one day a tipping point arrives and they're "popular," whatever that may mean in the context of the fandom.

Generally speaking, people who care about "popularity" never get what they're after. They feel that there's a trick to it and if they can find the secret formula, the proper pattern of button mashes, the precise algorithm, they will suddenly be popular, and they get frustrated when it doesn't happen. But here's the truth: Nobody knows how this works. Publishers don't. Agents don't. Movie producers don't. Software investors don't. All the professional acumen in the world can't control which videos go viral, which style will become a fashion trend, which book will finance castles in Scotland, which face will launch a thousand ships.

You do the best work you can. You put it out there, somewhere - where ever you can without compromising its essential features. It takes off, or it doesn't. It may go up like a rocket and down like a stick, or may lie online quietly accumulating views and suddenly, ten years on, become a household name.

Don't make yourself crazy trying to figure it out.

Not driving myself crazy, I'm going to be studying marketing soon in university and I wanna know a bit about how visions are put out and spread. That's the stuff I'm trying to figure out, I'm not on a quest to gain popularity I just wanna know some structures on how to promote yourself like the success of simGM
Mad Poster
#7 Old 12th Jan 2019 at 10:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mousedroidz21
Not driving myself crazy, I'm going to be studying marketing soon in university and I wanna know a bit about how visions are put out and spread. That's the stuff I'm trying to figure out, I'm not on a quest to gain popularity I just wanna know some structures on how to promote yourself like the success of simGM

Never heard about them but others who have great channels started playing with Sims 1.

Then you should start by playing Sims 1 then after about 1-2 years start back in Sims 2 and you will feel the reason why.
Then you can promote all you want because now you have the feel for what is Sims 2.

At least I do.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 5:10 AM
I only heard of them a couple months ago too from a friend on a Sims 2 group. I watch them occasionally but if I had to break it down in a nut shell to why they are probably popular (and this is just my theory) is because of the fact they spoof popular people & tv shows like the Kardashians, Beyoncé and Lady Gaga to name a few. It's designed in a way that even if you don't play the Sims 2 but like popular reality shows or pop culture those types of people can enjoy it. Plus they have a large cast of voices, and they probably tell their friends who tell their friends and tell their friends, etc, etc. Which markets it and spreads out their content. They probably *okay more than probably* use buzz words in their tags that will draw in even larger audiences.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 6:18 AM
Never heard of it. Sure don't sound popular around here.

Lol @Fyren5 you hailed TheJessaChannel and she had posted 2 posts above yours.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 2:31 PM
Never heard of her either.
Instructor
#11 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 2:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Never heard of it. Sure don't sound popular around here.

Lol @Fyren5 you hailed TheJessaChannel and she had posted 2 posts above yours.

My motto is, "If I haven't heard of it, it's not popular."

I think Op's post was an attempt of a promotional gag.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Mad Poster
#12 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 2:52 PM
I am sure SimGM may be a fine simmer. But, yes, it sounds a bit promotional.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 3:13 PM
Never heard of them, anyway, yesterday i found one mod in SimGM web, it's called Anyone Fight Burglars and this mod allows everything and furnished back in inventory after fighting with burglar but police is useless because they can arrest burglar without give everything and furnished back.
Alchemist
#14 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 3:40 PM
Never heard of it either and not going to click because I've also never watched any of the shows they list for spoofs. Maybe we're just all out of the loop.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 3:51 PM
Alex5, that mod is from this website. It looks like they are bundling mods that they use for their movies and sharing them. They do include a link to the original mod, but I don't know why they don't just share the links for available mods.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 4:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Alex5, that mod is from this website. It looks like they are bundling mods that they use for their movies and sharing them. They do include a link to the original mod, but I don't know why they don't just share the links for available mods.

Yes, you are right, they can use mods for movies like poseboxes too. but i like mod but police are useless cause it did not give everything and furnished back when they arrest burglar, that's all.

You can download some mods from SimGM in top right "Downloads" if you want.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#17 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 5:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alex5
You can download some mods from SimGM in top right "Downloads" if you want.

Yes, I know- what I am trying to say is that the mods on Simgm Productions site are from this site and many others that are still active. Look:
https://www.simgmproductions.com/game-mods

If I download that, there are 77 folders in the archive:

You can see the anyonefightburglars, which can be downloaded here:
http://modthesims.info/d/448903/any...t-burglars.html
Also there is the MATY directors cut, some from Crisps&Kerosene... the list goes on, these mods are all still available at the original websites. So instead of having people download the mods from that site, Simgm should just give a link to the original downloads. That way, if the creator wants to update the file players will get the latest version. The only reason to offer the files for download themselves is if the mods are no longer available for download on the original site.

The way that Simgm is presenting this, it looks as though they are taking credit and ownership of the mods. Of course it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, it's just something that would be nicer.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 5:34 PM Last edited by Alex5 : 13th Jan 2019 at 5:44 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Yes, I know- what I am trying to say is that the mods on Simgm Productions site are from this site and many others that are still active. Look:
https://www.simgmproductions.com/game-mods

If I download that, there are 77 folders in the archive:

You can see the anyonefightburglars, which can be downloaded here:
http://modthesims.info/d/448903/any...t-burglars.html
Also there is the MATY directors cut, some from Crisps&Kerosene... the list goes on, these mods are all still available at the original websites. So instead of having people download the mods from that site, Simgm should just give a link to the original downloads. That way, if the creator wants to update the file players will get the latest version. The only reason to offer the files for download themselves is if the mods are no longer available for download on the original site.

The way that Simgm is presenting this, it looks as though they are taking credit and ownership of the mods. Of course it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, it's just something that would be nicer.

Oh now i see it.. I never knew this mod was uploaded on MTS

Does this mod have already updated on MTS or not?
Mad Poster
#19 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 6:53 PM
They really need a better web designer. Holy shit, that source code is the thing nightmares are made of.

Site also pretty much breaks down completely with Javascript disabled. Bad practice, that.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Link Ninja
#20 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 7:06 PM
I've heard of them and have been watching their stuff for awhile now. I found it because a clip of it was on tumblr and I thought it was kinda funny. I never watched the Kardashians IRL unless my sister had it on in the background but I think their spoof of them is pretty funny. It's basically sim style show of a dysfunctional family and Courtney, always talks so chill like she has no soul and basically carries the episodes. I don't watch all their series, just usually the 'Kardasims' one because that's the one I laugh at most. The other ones I don't find as funny.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Instructor
#21 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 7:07 PM
Ouch, as someone who does web designer (and is very bad at it) I'm offended by that, Bulb lol. I think they're using a template, that's why the source code looks that way it does.

@simsample is there a way that we can make them remove the ModTheSims mods from their website?

Also, who with any common sense would download something with no listing or description of what it is? How do you what you are download even compatible with your game? Or isn't a virus? Just plain stupid.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#22 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 7:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by monijt1
simsample is there a way that we can make them remove the ModTheSims mods from their website?

Not really. I know Cyjon isn't active now but his stuff is there too, and some of Inge's, MSDs, HPs... It's mainly that if people download this bundle and put it in their game, they wouldn't really know what any of it is for, or whether it's suitable for their gameversion and other CC. Some of the downloads have links included but I doubt downloaders would bother going to the trouble of chasing those to read the info.

Oh well, all we can do really is to discourage anyone we know from downloading there, and help people who do to fix their game!
Mad Poster
#23 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 7:30 PM
The last question is the one that I wanted to ask - who with any common sense indeed!
Mad Poster
#24 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 7:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by monijt1
Ouch, as someone who does web designer (and is very bad at it) I'm offended by that, Bulb lol. I think they're using a template, that's why the source code looks that way it does.

Yeah, it's definitely a template. Which isn't bad by itself–the website that I manage actually uses a template, though modified here and there–but templates can be made badly, which is the case here.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Field Researcher
#25 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Generally speaking, people who care about "popularity" never get what they're after.

Ay you missed a key demographic that cares too much about popularity but never gets it: middle school girls.

Dark days those were. That Nikki Reed movie about the drug addled 12 year olds reminds me too much of ts2 in terms of fashion uGH I'm on mobile but if I wasn't I'd post a side by side. Even the music. Mark Mothersbaugh causes so much nostalgia.

Anyways, this fandom is a lot like middle school. Too many cliques and people desperately trying to follow trends/be apart of the pack. Also the occasional pedo.

It's pretty sad because most of us are out of school or at least out of our preteen years. Even teenagers don't have an excuse. I mean I got kicked out hoco week freshman year but even I know high school is basically community college with more prudes and cigarillos.
Page 1 of 2