Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 2:45 PM
Default Do You Use Blender 3D?
Having fiddled with Blender 3D a little before I started creating for Sims, I've never really used anything else. Like many, I found the layout daunting, but with the mass amounts of video and written tutorials for Blender on the web, and the few tutorials here on how to get stuff in the game, I'm happy I stuck with it. It is a very versatile and robust program with lots of features, not to mention its FREE! Also, Some of the best creators on MTS use Blender.
I'm starting this social group as a place for questions, tips, tricks, and discussion about Blender. So, do YOU use Blender?

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 4:35 AM
I just downloaded it and have no idea how to use it

~~~The Official Nintendork Island~~~
"I cannot love you like this anymore..... Alejandro"
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 5:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GuardStud08
I just downloaded it and have no idea how to use it

Here is a good place to start: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blende...roducing_Meshes

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Theorist
#4 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 6:29 AM
Thanks, I hate the camera system, I cannot get it to be completely straight!!

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 7:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GuardStud08
Thanks, I hate the camera system, I cannot get it to be completely straight!!

Try using the keypad.

NUM2 and NUM8 rotate up and down
NUM4 and NUM6 rotate left and right.
Screenshots

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Theorist
#6 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 7:36 AM
Will do. Awesome site!!! It was very helpful

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#7 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 11:47 AM
I used blender for the few TS2 meshes I made or tweaked – I like it a lot.

I've heard rumours that someone is working on a plugin for blender so that we can make TS3 meshes too (<-- hand-waviness is intentional, as I haven't really looked at the whole TS3 meshing process yet) -- looking very forward to that. I'd prefer to keep using blender, now that I somewhat got the hang of that interface from outer space =).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Aug 2009 at 7:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
I'd prefer to keep using blender, now that I somewhat got the hang of that interface from outer space =).

Outer space is the perfect description of Blender's interface, lol. I think that's what makes it seem hard to use, because the interface is unlike most. But after using it for simple things and getting used to the shortcut keys, I found it hard to use anything else.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Fluffy
retired moderator
#9 Old 31st Aug 2009 at 9:38 PM
Having tried both Milkshape and Wing3D, I'm one of those odd people that finds Blender way easier to understand than any of the other programs.
I couldn't even get past the opening screen of wings3d... *bows head in shame*

So yeah, a plugin would be handy for TS3 :D
Theorist
#10 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 3:37 AM
Blender rocks now. I finally got the hang of it and am currently experimenting with a few things.

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th Sep 2009 at 2:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lethe_s
Having tried both Milkshape and Wing3D, I'm one of those odd people that finds Blender way easier to understand than any of the other programs.
I couldn't even get past the opening screen of wings3d... *bows head in shame*

So yeah, a plugin would be handy for TS3 :D

I wish I knew Python, I'd make the plugin myself But I have made an object in Blender and used Milkshape and DD's tutorial to put it in game. And there's only six steps in Milkshape, using it more like a plugin hub instead of actually doing any mesh work in it.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#12 Old 4th Sep 2009 at 7:20 PM
If youre new to it, you should definitely bookmark the blenderwiki: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual .. you're going to need it *a lot*.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#13 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 2:25 PM
Another new Blender user, Hi folks!

Thanks for the link and tips, guys.
Was contemplating to buy the Lynda.com vid tutorial, cos I'm more of a visual learner. Now, I think I'll settle for searching for basic vid tuts first (with 3D basics and meshing terms explained), although the ones I found are targeted for a specific target like HL2 etc.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 3:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharm3d
Another new Blender user, Hi folks!

Thanks for the link and tips, guys.
Was contemplating to buy the Lynda.com vid tutorial, cos I'm more of a visual learner. Now, I think I'll settle for searching for basic vid tuts first (with 3D basics and meshing terms explained), although the ones I found are targeted for a specific target like HL2 etc.

Hi, try these:

Blender 3d basics pt.1
Blender 3D basics pt.2

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 4:19 AM
Ha! Blender group! Awesome ...

Yea, like everyone said, Blender is so much easier ...

:P

Check out Picking Up the Pieces
(Chapter 4 PART TWO posted 9/16/12)
~~~~
Quote:
"Jean-Luc, we're only moving six hundred people." ~Admiral Dougherty
"How many people does it take before it becomes wrong? Hmm? A thousand? Fifty thousand? A million? How many people does it take, Admiral!?" ~Picard
Test Subject
#16 Old 10th Dec 2009 at 10:32 PM
Default hi everyone...
I seem to have a task ahead of me. does anyone here have any idea how to script python.... lol... its great what everyone working on this has done so far. but none of this is helping me with my task. unlike everyone else who feels completely compfortable themselves with just making objects... I want to do alot more than that. like fiddle with the sims themselves and create custom interactions and animation reactions... etc. but problem you cant export that in an object file. I found the files I need in the scengrapher of SimPE and I can clone them and extract them... but I cannot load them in blender as is. its a difficult task. I would like to import the entire interaction sequence for instance. for lets say I wanted to add an interaction for the table socials say under flirt add play footsies... not to naughty but you get the idea. I am after medical animations for a real working hospital. giving medicine which is in the game does not work right. the medicine vial pops out of the hand wrong. I also want to animate the nurse and doctor functions. so a whole set of additional socials are needed but could be gained easier if I could simply load the filename str. etc. and start in the same sequence but on an altered path... of my own choice change the giude to allow the choice and well you guys get it right?
Test Subject
#17 Old 12th Dec 2009 at 7:39 PM
who wants to help me write scripts?
Field Researcher
#18 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 9:13 PM Last edited by Ceixari : 2nd Feb 2010 at 9:07 AM. Reason: Spelling :(
Hi, just joined the group after plasticbox enlightened me. Like all of you I find Blender much easier to use, although I am still learning myself.

I'm a programmer by profession, so I'm taking my c++/java knowledge onto learning Python and have started writing some import/export scripts for Blender.

See http://nene.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=389058 for progress. I'll try to update here as well when I do progress posts.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#19 Old 2nd Feb 2010 at 1:58 AM
Welcome, Ceixari! I'm sure we all can't wait to see what you come up with.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
#20 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 7:08 PM
Though it took me a while, I fell in love with Blender, especially for its meshing tools. I'm just hurting right now because I made a clothing mesh but have no idea on how to set it up for importing. I'm sorta trying to assign bones right now, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it all right :S
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#21 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 4:54 AM
I have never worked with clothing ( I've meshed clothes before, but never tried to put them in game. Just curious, do you use physics to make clothes or do you just mesh it all?

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
#22 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 4:08 AM
Nah, I just meshed it all.

Its been really bugging me that I've made this and I cant do anything with it without having to get Milkshape. Which I can do now, but if I could use blender I would
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#23 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 4:28 AM
There is a script for body meshes, just not objects, yet. It's unsupported and has issues (of which I'm unaware), but I don't think you have to use MS.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
#24 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 12:55 AM
I love blender! I'm a newbie but I can do my own figures. :3
Test Subject
#25 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 3:40 AM
Dumb me though did use Extrude so I sorta have to go in and fix whatever isn't assigned I guess :S

Page 1 of 3