Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Feb 2019 at 6:57 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Custom AVI not showing up on a sim's computer screen
Hi everyone! I just noticed that, while playing with a sim in university, when he writes term paper the computer screen he’s using is black.

→ (In the picture above I ran this game in Windows 7)

FYI, I use this mod by hexagonal-bipyramid. I really love it and I don’t want to get rid of it because I hate blue text against white background.

I couldn’t figure out why. Last month I set up dual boot with Windows 7 - right now I have Windows 10 and Windows 7 installed on my computer. I only use Windows 7 to play the Sims 2 to avoid the pink flashing issue. I installed the Sims 2 again on Windows 7′s disk partition and I copied the game installation from Windows 10 directory to the one under Windows 7 so all files should be exactly the same.

I checked if the problem still persists with a clean game environment and it does unfortunately so this is not a mod related issue. So, I checked it again but I ran the game in Windows 10 and the custom video appears to be working fine, no black screen. It does work running it in Windows 10 but not in Windows 7.

→ (In the picture above I ran this game in Windows 10 - err… I know it looks exactly the same but I directed the game under both OS’s to use the same saved game folder and I’ve had no issues with that so far)

Why is this? Do I not have some drivers installed for Windows 7 that might be needed for custom videos to function? I get the same problem with custom arcade machines in Windows 7 but not in Windows 10!

→ (Custom arcade machines suffer the same problem so this game clearly has problems loading custom clips in Windows 7)

The files are in the right place and I am able to play the avi files (for write term paper replacement and custom arcade machines) in VLC player. I am not sure if this issue is codec related but it might be a bit of something else I've missed. My friend also has the same problem and she recently set up dual boot with Windows 7 too.

Thank you for taking your time to read my post and hopefully you might have some ideas.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Feb 2019 at 7:15 PM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Feb 2019 at 1:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Most definitely a codec issue; try these:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...946#post5282946

Hi! I read through the thread and I saw your post mentioning that the Sims 2 requires the ON2 VP6 codec. I have just realised the purpose of VP6 folders that belong in University Life and Best of Business folders - they are here for necessary codecs. When I copied and pasted the directory from Windows 10, I let VP6 folders be overwritten. Therefore, the custom AVIs don't work because the overwritten files aren't designed for Windows 7. Every time you install the Sims 2, the setup designs the files to fit the correct OS so I had to reinstall since I've had no back up. I've done so and copied the directory again but left VP6 folders alone and checked the game - huzzah it's working now! Thank you for your support :D
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 10th Feb 2019 at 10:51 AM