Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
#126 Old 2nd Apr 2013 at 8:51 PM
That would certainly explain some things. If nothing else what it feels like to me is that larger cities should "unlock" given the game's achievement system.
Advertisement
Retired
retired moderator
#127 Old 2nd Apr 2013 at 10:12 PM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 3rd Apr 2013 at 2:15 AM.
Quote:
Mootilda

It's not a matter of what they believe, it's a matter of the game being released nowhere near finished, so all the kinks with the agents system are unaddressed. The agents all behave badly - water and power in large cities often misses corners despite plentiful production, cos it's just sloshing around at random hoping for even coverage but not always getting it. Best case scenario is we've paid shitloads to beta test for a year, and a game worthy of the franchise emerges. Worst case scenario is they'll get the game to the point where a large enough number of not particularly discerning players *just love it* despite how poorly made it is, and then EA leverages off that "success" to sell these "Farmville" gamers more and more and more and more poorly made DLC while diehard SimCity fans face never, ever, ever seeing another true SimCity ever again.

Sadly. I think the latter might be the case. I suspect SimCity 2013 marks the very definite end of what SimCity once stood for: A deep and meaningful single-player simulation game that affords players a great deal more creative control than SimCity 2013 dares to allow us (terraforming, ability to recreate real world regions, relatively uncomplicated modding, etc).

edit: Oh god. http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/04/02/s...lc-nissan-leaf/

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
#128 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 12:20 AM
Hmmm...
I have always been interested in simcity but not sure if it was worth it or not but I am open to trying it out
Banned
#129 Old 4th Apr 2013 at 12:44 AM
It would be worth it to get SC4 - it's pretty cheaply available by now and still the best version so far.
Instructor
#130 Old 5th Apr 2013 at 12:26 AM
Some people do think Simcity 4 went a little too far with the simulation. It became a bit to heavy for most folks with too much micromanagement. Tastes differ of course.
Banned
#131 Old 5th Apr 2013 at 1:47 AM
I don't like cartoonish. Some things did go to far though - like the water and being almost impossible to make money unless it was a ghetto-city. Of course that's why there are mods and cheats. The resource crap in this new version sounds like it goes even further in that direction though - maybe because SCS was overly simplified?
Site Helper
#132 Old 5th Apr 2013 at 3:38 AM
I believe that one of the problems with SimCity 4 was the broken pathfinding algorithm. As I understand it, EA had a better algorithm, but decided at the last minute to use the "shortest path" algorithm (sounds like SimCity 2013, doesn't it?). SimCity 4 is really difficult with the shipped pathfinding, but works far better with an alternate pathfinding strategy.
dodgy builder
#133 Old 5th Apr 2013 at 5:45 PM
At the end of SimCity4 for me, I used a major mod who possibly remade the entire transportation system. I don't remember the name of it. I liked that one very much, but it just became too much to handle for my pc. The speed was very high I remember.

The biggest problem for me now is the speed of the highest speed, it's too slow. The fact that there is no subway system as I can see is also a major problem. It may just be I'm too carefull on my city planning.
Lab Assistant
#134 Old 5th Apr 2013 at 7:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
At the end of SimCity4 for me, I used a major mod who possibly remade the entire transportation system. I don't remember the name of it. I liked that one very much, but it just became too much to handle for my pc. The speed was very high I remember.

The biggest problem for me now is the speed of the highest speed, it's too slow. The fact that there is no subway system as I can see is also a major problem. It may just be I'm too carefull on my city planning.

I believe you're talking about the NAM - Network Addon Mod, which is awesome :D
Banned
#135 Old 5th Apr 2013 at 9:01 PM
Yeah I have that one. Haven't played SC4 in a while, but most of the mods/CC for it I got at Simtropolis and the BSC exchange.
Retired
retired moderator
#136 Old 5th Apr 2013 at 9:31 PM
NAM is essential. You know what Simcity 4 has over 2013... ...more than one type of forest. I bet they're going to try to sell us other varieties. -_-

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Lab Assistant
#137 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 12:58 AM
I am optimistic that patch 2.0 will fix all the issues that prevent me from wanting to purchase the game.

--Ocram

Always do your best.
Theorist
#138 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 6:57 AM
Unless EA fixes the problems pronto... SimCity should stop being a 60 dollar priced game.
Site Helper
#139 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 6:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shoosh Malooka
Unless EA fixes the problems pronto... SimCity should stop being a 60 dollar priced game.
Until people stop paying $60, EA will keep charging it.
Banned
#140 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 8:01 PM
I'd frankly at this point NEVER buy a new release from EA. I need to hear enough about it to decide - of course the always online/Origin is an automatic deal-breaker but even if they released a game with no DRM/spyware/trojans/malware/etc I'd still wait just to make sure it wasn't an epic fail in terms of programming.
protip EA: Beta testing is supposed to be done before release.
Theorist
#141 Old 8th Apr 2013 at 4:17 AM Last edited by Shoosh Malooka : 8th Apr 2013 at 4:33 AM.
When EA offered a free game as restitution for the terrible launch, SimCity 4 was one of them.

List:
SimCity 4
Bejeweled 3
Dead Space
MOHW
NFS Most Wanted
Plants vs. Zombies
Battlefield
Mass Effect

That's pretty much admitting they know they ripped you. They're up against Ticketmaster in the finals for Worst Company in America by the annual Consumerist Poll.
http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/n...gamemaker-again
Quote:
“I’ll be the first to admit that we’ve made plenty of mistakes. These include server shut downs too early, games that didn’t meet expectations, missteps on new pricing models and most recently, severely fumbling the launch of SimCity. We owe gamers better performance than this.” - Peter Moore, COO

You won't change the price, people like me won't buy it. Cities XL Platinum is 29.99, Tropico 4 SimCity 4 and Cities in Motion is 19.99, and Peter Moore has no problem smirking in pictures and looking like a rat with a goatee while continuing to ask 60 for a currently castrated game.
dodgy builder
#142 Old 8th Apr 2013 at 7:55 PM
I hope someone with a better attitude towards consumers buys the hole company.
Banned
#143 Old 8th Apr 2013 at 8:40 PM
Or at least buys the Maxis part after EA goes out of business...
Instructor
#144 Old 8th Apr 2013 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Black_Barook!
The Zombie outbreak message poped up in the newsreel, but I found now zombies roaming the streets. A warning perhaps?

Careful. Folks have mentioned they will take public transit. Nothing like thinking you ahve it contained just to find they took the cross town bus.
Banned
#145 Old 9th Apr 2013 at 12:42 AM
Seriously? They included that as something you can't opt out of? Wow. EA really is stupid.
Theorist
#146 Old 9th Apr 2013 at 4:33 AM
You can opt out of random disasters by playing Sandbox.
Theorist
#147 Old 10th Apr 2013 at 4:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Black_Barook!
True but then you lose the challenge and the achievements!

The zombie event washed over fast, only five zombies. Wow, that's kinda pathetic. I must be a terrible mayor if the zombies don't even bother...

Eh, a lot of the "disasters" are like that sometimes. The alien abduction event has fired multiple times in my cities and done virtually nothing because of the level of population, while an errant meteor strike can sometimes just cripple you entirely if it slams into some sort of expensive infrastructure. I imagine the zombie/alien events get worse if they hit places like stadiums when you've got a timer event going but I've rarely had those sorts of buildings up anyways so...

Page 6 of 6