Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 3:01 AM
Default Will this be an issue?
Hey y'all! So after 4 years of planning (pronounced procrastination) I've finally started building my own sims 3 world! Some things had to be tweaked as I moved from paper to 'puter screen. Everything was working out pretty well, but then this happened: (See attached pic)

I placed the road and then drew the lot on top of it before I realized what happened. The game didn't give me any problem/alert when I did it which seems strange. As a CAW Newbie, I don't know if this will cause issues... like will it mess with the road/sidewalk, or the lot, or break something else??

I'm absolutely not moving the road, it took me over an hour to place it and get that intersection to connect properly because of the sharp angles. I'd prefer to leave the lot as is if it doesn't hurt anything. It's for the hospital and I've already planned the layout. If I have to, I can split the hospital into two lots, and make the one that would go on this side smaller so there's no overlap on the road. But I reeeeally don't want to

Thanks for the tips in advance!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 4:00 AM
You can move the lot outward just a bit. How does the routing look?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 4:29 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 1st Aug 2017 at 4:41 AM.
Won't be an issue.

Road routing works even when underlying lots, unless blocked by an on-lot object.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 4:41 AM
I can't move the lot, I'm using every bit of it and it meets another road on the other side. Glad to hear it's fine, thanks!
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#5 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 1:23 PM
dodgy builder
#6 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustang34
I can't move the lot, I'm using every bit of it and it meets another road on the other side. Glad to hear it's fine, thanks!

You didn't answer Emmett's question about routing It looks to me like the road isn't quite lineing up.

CAW requires a bit of work to get used to. Planning too much before even testing the program isn't recommended. Typically you learn as you make, meaning your road will look better the next time you do it. Just give yourself time to learn how to do it. If you don't, the result won't be as good. CAW is actually rather complicated.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 2nd Aug 2017 at 7:17 AM Last edited by daisylee : 2nd Aug 2017 at 7:50 AM.
Lots on roads can totally ruin worlds. Been there, done that, lost a whole world possibly due to it. IMO you need to move the lot or road. I would never chance leaving it like that. I am extremely picky about this issue. I had a world 99% done and lost it. One or 2 lots had been a tad on a road and the world froze and never could be fixed. I read at the time that lots should never be on roads. So....................... that is my input.

I would never risk having a world go corrupt over something that is that easy to spot and fix early in the game.
Scholar
#8 Old 3rd Aug 2017 at 2:18 AM
Everything I've read says that it can cause major problems to have lots overlapping onto roads or sidewalks. Therefore, I've scrupulously avoided it. If you don't want to move the road, I'd suggest making the lot smaller. Or, does your road layout allow you to angle the lot? This can be done with tiny adjustments in the axis numbers while the grid is turned off. I do this quite a bit to align lot edges to non-straight roads.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Aug 2017 at 7:23 PM
Oh I'm glad that I came back to view this post... I already finished building the hospital on one lot and really like how it turned out so I guess I'll just move the hospital and build something else there on a smaller lot. Darn. Thanks for the input everyone!
Mad Poster
#10 Old 8th Aug 2017 at 2:00 AM
Good. Worlds take so long to make that it would be a shame to lose it.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 10:38 PM
You can also grab the blue lines on the road (move world object button) and stretch it out a bit til it's past the road. It helps to turn off the grid while doing so as you can move it ever so slightly that way.