Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Feb 2024 at 2:04 AM Last edited by elquackity : 1st Mar 2024 at 3:01 AM. Reason: issue may be resolved
RESOLVED Issue With Multiple Object Textures
hi, i'm a beginner so please let me know if i'm missing a basic feature or something
i'm trying to mod in a premade 3D object into a Sims 4 item, but the issue is that the object comes with two different texture files, one for most of the object and one for a small face of the object.
it's a chainsaw, and the texture for the main chainsaw is separate from the chain. i can't easily unwrap it in blender the same way the original texture is unwrapped.
because it's missing the texture for the chain, which is a separate texture file, it reuses the main chainsaw texture on the chain.
i've tried uploading the chain texture but i can't seem to get s4s to let me upload two textures for the same object. since the object isn't unwrapped to where the chain has a place on the main texture i don't think i can just plop the chain texture into the texture map. am i missing an easy fix here? does anyone with more experience know what to do with this issue?
thank you
Screenshots
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 28th Feb 2024 at 5:39 AM
Hi there

UVs can be freely moved around without unwrapping them again.
All that's required here is to combine the two textures into one image- if there isn't any free space left to work with, you could increase the size of the texture overall or resize parts to make room.

Then in Blender's UV Editor window, select only the parts that no longer line up with their texture and move them back into place. The UV can be manipulated in the same ways that the geometry can- with Grab, Scale, Rotate, so on to replicate the same changes you made to the texture.
Depending on how many loose parts the object is made of, you may have luck using the hotkey L to select entire segments one at a time.

You can also do it in the reverse order- by fitting all the UV pieces on the texture space, exporting the layout as an image, and using that image as reference for editing the texture to match again. You can do it whichever way you prefer.

General Blender tutorials can go a long way in the future, as this is much more of a general meshing topic than anything specific to TS4. Good luck.

Scribe of tutorials. Oracle of questions at NRaas. Blog staller at thecardinalsims. Feel free to @ me for input on any TS3/TS4 modding questions.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Feb 2024 at 6:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
Hi there

UVs can be freely moved around without unwrapping them again.
All that's required here is to combine the two textures into one image- if there isn't any free space left to work with, you could increase the size of the texture overall or resize parts to make room.

Then in Blender's UV Editor window, select only the parts that no longer line up with their texture and move them back into place. The UV can be manipulated in the same ways that the geometry can- with Grab, Scale, Rotate, so on to replicate the same changes you made to the texture.
Depending on how many loose parts the object is made of, you may have luck using the hotkey L to select entire segments one at a time.

You can also do it in the reverse order- by fitting all the UV pieces on the texture space, exporting the layout as an image, and using that image as reference for editing the texture to match again. You can do it whichever way you prefer.

General Blender tutorials can go a long way in the future, as this is much more of a general meshing topic than anything specific to TS4. Good luck.

thank you i tried to look for answers elsewhere but had a little trouble with wording my problem for the search engine this time around! i'll try what you suggested