Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Sep 2017 at 7:20 AM Last edited by Goldenbtrfly : 3rd Oct 2017 at 7:32 PM. Reason: figured out!
Default TS2 - Roof Help [Solved - Thanks!]
Hi again! I'm kind of in a tight spot with this roof. UGH. *flips desk*

I have a limited budget left for the house, so I can't really add much in terms of walls or use more expensive edging.
I do not really want a flat roof, but I'm thinking this house shape is not really going to work with anything else. (Please prove me utterly wrong!!!)
Other suggestions also welcome on style, but remember - LIMITED BUDGET.

The windows are shuttered only in the front to save money, as I was advised to play up the curb appeal more so than the rest of the house on a previous build.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Sep 2017 at 7:56 AM
I would play around with the roofs but I am not good enough to actually say do this or that, I would experiment. I am more concerned about the weeds- has a sim lived on the lot or are they buyable ones?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Sep 2017 at 9:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I would play around with the roofs but I am not good enough to actually say do this or that, I would experiment. I am more concerned about the weeds- has a sim lived on the lot or are they buyable ones?

Totally buyable, Jo! No worries! I use the ones from HugeLunatic.
I will mess with it a bit in the morning. It's after 4am here now.
Alchemist
#4 Old 23rd Sep 2017 at 1:39 PM
The shape of the home makes it hard to imagine a roof on it. Can't you add 2 low- pitched, gabled roof, or a higher pitched one with dormers maybe?
These would be my options, since a balcony would be too expensive I think, I'm terrible at budget builds.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#5 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 1:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
The shape of the home makes it hard to imagine a roof on it. Can't you add 2 low- pitched, gabled roof, or a higher pitched one with dormers maybe?
These would be my options, since a balcony would be too expensive I think, I'm terrible at budget builds.

OK. I'll mess around with a roof and show you guys what it looks like.
It's funny you mention a balcony, Johnny, because I would have loved to make that an outdoor space for the kids since the lot is small and the interior left little running space.
I'll certainly give it a few variations on my late night Simming later.
Scholar
#6 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 3:41 AM Last edited by SimmyRN : 24th Sep 2017 at 7:56 AM.
I don't work in Sims 2 anymore but I'll try recreating it in Sims 3 and see what I can do. I don't think the roofs are that different. In any event, I'd suggest taking one of the windows from the side with 5 windows and putting it in the back. I think it would look better. Of course, it's up to you. What's in the upper story? Do you have a floor plan? Good job! It does work well as an adobe style house but that may not be what you're going for.

Edit: Here are a few ideas that might be helpful ... Bear in mind that the "adobe" version will be more expensive because of the cost of the fencing and foundation used to add height to the upper section. (In Sims 3 that's "placefriezes on". Is there something similar in Sims 2? I don't remember.) If not, it could also be done with CFE. I think the extra height adds to the house, but, of course, that would be your choice. If you'd like me to detail how I did the various roofs, just let me know.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 4:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmyRN
I don't work in Sims 2 anymore but I'll try recreating it in Sims 3 and see what I can do. I don't think the roofs are that different. In any event, I'd suggest taking one of the windows from the side with 5 windows and putting it in the back. I think it would look better. Of course, it's up to you. What's in the upper story? Do you have a floor plan? Good job! It does work well as an adobe style house but that may not be what you're going for.

Thanks, SimmyRN! I'll mess with the windows too when I go in. I'm open to try it. The upper story is the parents bedroom and a reading room/play room for the kids.
I'm sorry I didn't include the floorplan. I was rushing a bit to get it posted.

I thought it looked a bit Southwestern style to me too! Glad I'm not the only one. I mean, if it can work as that I would upload it as is and see if it passes. (If no pass, onto Tumblr it goes, I guess. *shrug*)
Alchemist
#8 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 7:26 PM
It would indeed work as a Pueblo/Adobe house, too, if you can't find a fitting roof.

#9 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 4:12 AM Last edited by Goldenbtrfly : 25th Sep 2017 at 7:19 AM. Reason: additional info added
@SimmyRN - thanks for the assist! I was thinking the slanted door section might have to look that way!

OK, I'm attaching the screenies for version one of the house. I have two versions, for you guys to destroy, err, critique. I'm kidding, I appreciate you guys so much.
I guess I'll attach both to the same thread?! I just hope it doesn't confuse anyone. Ugh.

Both versions are extremely close in price, both had to have some sacrifices made to be done though.
One is more pretty?, but is missing some things like a wall, highchairs and a couch.
One is less pretty, but there is no balcony for the family to use as additional space.
(Please be sure to read the photo notes to keep them straight!)

The roof has some glitches in it that I don't know how to fix, because of how the roof parts join, so I hope they don't look too bad.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 7:57 AM Last edited by Goldenbtrfly : 25th Sep 2017 at 7:59 AM. Reason: forgot a pic!
Option 3 based on SimmyRN's suggestions that I completely missed like a bonehead. No glitchy spots on this one! Go SimmyRN with your bad self.
No worries. I am DONE, no more. Haha. I am roofed out. I apologize for the double post, but I didn't want to cram any more pictures in that other post!

1, 2 or 3?
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 28th Sep 2017 at 5:12 AM
I like the version with the balcony the best. In TS3 the roof imperfections could probably be smoothed out with the roof pitch slider, one seam raised one lowered. In TS2 I think you have to input a numerical value for roof slope, perhaps making tiny adjustments more difficult.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 28th Sep 2017 at 5:28 AM
@attuned - Thanks for the input! I agree with you after a few days of looking at myself. I guess the team got sick of me and never returned, LOL!
I will play with the roof pitch a bit more before I upload it, to see if I can smooth things out a bit.
Scholar
#13 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 4:03 AM
I think either version would work fine - balcony or roof. The roof looks smoother now. My other suggestion would be a smaller table, perhaps, in the dining area. It looks a bit odd for part of the table/chairs to be off of the patterned tile. Good job!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 4:21 AM
I'll probably just go with the balcony one, since I can't use a smaller table. It's meant to be an 8 Sim household, and I'd rather not have them eating on the couches. I totally understand what you mean from an aesthetic standpoint though. I'll just leave it up to players to adjust or rearrange when the two toddlers grow up! Thanks so much for your help, @SimmyRN you guys pushed me to try a roof when I didn't think one was possible or would look good.

Thanks everyone! I'll do a final run over tomorrow and then upload it. Woo!
Alchemist
#15 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 8:16 AM
Great that you guys got it sorted out. I've stalked the progress, but didn't really give any input, because I couldn't work with the shape of the house.

#16 Old 3rd Oct 2017 at 7:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
Great that you guys got it sorted out. I've stalked the progress, but didn't really give any input, because I couldn't work with the shape of the house.

Haha, it's OK Johnny, it was an odd shape. I actually evened out some walls to make it easier.
Plus... you're HOT!!!!
Alchemist
#17 Old 3rd Oct 2017 at 9:57 PM
Thanks? I guess.. I don't know what to say to that

I have a rule that I don't use diagonal walls larger than a 1x1 square, so I can always put a roof on it without messing with diagonal roofs or large, odd- looking overhangs, unless:
-It has a flat roof
-The 2nd story creates an overhang (Full story, balcony,...)

#18 Old 3rd Oct 2017 at 10:49 PM
That is a GOOD rule. I think I shall steal it now. *yoink*
I'll save all my diagonal walls for the interior after this whole ordeal.