Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th May 2017 at 1:50 PM Last edited by chi168 : 31st May 2017 at 8:56 AM.
Default Beta testing "Litten Island"
I have been working on this world for quite some time now and i think I am ready for feedback. I'm sort of in "pre-alfa-testing" but since this week is final exam for me so I wanted to have some ideas for building next week. I am changing the paint a bit and I would also appreciate some ideas on how to give it more depth. I have chosen to not use too many different trees and plants to try and help with the running of the world but i have all the spawners and quite a lot of lots.

Edit: No CC in this world as I'm having problems with building when it's active.

Conclusion; Feedback appreciated!

Beta testing for everyone (mainly because I've never really done it before)!

When building this world, all expansion packs and stuff packs have been active (cannot be sure I've used them all though)
No CC
No store items
(If you see any, please tell me so i can get rid of them)
no sims
no houses or apartments
~ 36 community lots
3 ports
~ 55 private lots
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Litten Islands.rar (31.93 MB, 15 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 16th May 2017 at 2:12 PM
More pictures.
Screenshots
Scholar
#3 Old 17th May 2017 at 6:14 AM
Very nice! I like your terrain painting and the fact that there are plenty of lots. I really enjoy non-tropical islands. What are you planning for the really big empty lot? I see the dock for the one island but wondered how sims will get to the island to the right in your overview picture. Will you add a bridge or another dock? Or, will sims just boat there? My suggestions would be to have at least a small amount of flat space in each lot and to avoid spawners "hanging over" empty space. (Without flat spots, I'm not sure what kind of structures or objects could be placed on some lots. I think it's best to have the entire spawner circle on relatively flat ground. Otherwise, there might be things spawning in mid air.) I also really appreciate that you're not using CC! Looking forward to updates!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th May 2017 at 10:28 AM
I was thinking the big lot as like a generations lot or something like that, I love starting a family on a big lot and gradually expanding it into a mansion or a farm. I also have the biggest lot on the thin beach-y island and on the rocky one for a real challenge. A dock on there is actually a really good idea, most of those lots go into the ocean as well so there is a possibility of sort of boat shacks? like motorboats.
Spawners on flat parts is also a good point, i have some on the island with a dock that may be floating a bit...

Thank you so much for your feedback!
Scholar
#5 Old 18th May 2017 at 5:03 AM
You're welcome! Also, be careful about part of the spawner being underground or into a hill. Sims can throw routing tantrums if an item spawns and they can't get to it. My understanding is that items can potentially spawn anywhere inside the spawner circle.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 19th May 2017 at 3:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmyRN
You're welcome! Also, be careful about part of the spawner being underground or into a hill. Sims can throw routing tantrums if an item spawns and they can't get to it. My understanding is that items can potentially spawn anywhere inside the spawner circle.

Indeed! I'm playing a game right now in Moonlight Falls. There is a minerals spawner on the lot for the alchemy consignment shop. It seems to be centered rather near the building. Sometimes the object will spawn into the tight area between the building and the decorative fence and hedge, which a Sim cannot get into. They get quite upset about this, and so do I!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th May 2017 at 5:22 PM
How about with "flying" areas? Like in the picture?
Screenshots
Scholar
#8 Old 21st May 2017 at 1:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chi168
How about with "flying" areas? Like in the picture?

I'd recommend avoiding that as the item could spawn in mid air. That's what I was trying to say by spawner circles "hanging over" empty space. It might be best to flatten the hilltop enough to have the entire spawner circle flat on the ground. Also, you'll want to be sure that routing is such that sims can get to the spawners to collect the items.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st May 2017 at 12:19 PM
So I have made a to do list before doing more in game testing:

1. Finishing the community lots i have assigned (about 3 more)
2. Checking and fixing all spawners
3. Replacing all lots (to make sure the edges match)
I have done routing but it may need some reworks after this... Is there anything else that should be done before going into play-mode?
Scholar
#10 Old 22nd May 2017 at 5:48 AM
Sounds like you are good to go!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 23rd May 2017 at 1:55 PM
At last I have time to work on my world! I have replaced lots to fix edges, have gone through weirdly placed spawners and I was thinking, what about if the ring covers the road? I don't think I have seen anything spawn on a road before, but could it happen?
Feeling very close to beta testing!
Scholar
#12 Old 24th May 2017 at 5:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chi168
At last I have time to work on my world! I have replaced lots to fix edges, have gone through weirdly placed spawners and I was thinking, what about if the ring covers the road? I don't think I have seen anything spawn on a road before, but could it happen?
Feeling very close to beta testing!

I know that things will spawn on sidewalks so I imagine they'd also spawn on roads. Some spawners could be okay to have on roads - others probably not. For example, a spawner that spawns animals on the road could potentially have animals and the sims collecting them being "run over" by cars/taxis.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 24th May 2017 at 11:46 AM
Beta time! Yay!
I've realized I really need some road names so I was considering using some translated road names from my home town (since it's pretty much the inspiration for this world anyway).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 25th May 2017 at 12:21 PM
Found a few things today. Pretty sure that one specific area doesn't need 6 sharks, also, thought i had fixed that road and the lots? Ah well...
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 25th May 2017 at 12:57 PM Last edited by Vincent T. : 26th May 2017 at 8:56 AM.
It's a cute little world I like your little parks and the general layout/decoration.

My findings so far:
- world installs and loads fine
- one case of lot tearing
- some more information would be helpful for testers and future users, for example which EPs/SPs you used, number of lots, whether it’s populated or not, that you used store stuff
- there is some cc packed with the world. Not sure if it’s actually used in the world (I didn’t have time to check all lots) or just packed with the world (list provided via tumblr chat).
- Most Community lots lack a name, also descriptions. You already mentioned that you are working on street names
- while I understand that you don’t want to build lots of residental homes for your world I suggest having at least one starter home so that users don’t have to start from scratch.
- there are several instances of floating grass
- the concrete wall looks a bit… unfinished. It’s just a matter of taste of course. But there are posts for this available, also I’m sure some plants would love to grow near such a safe space.
- some of the splashes seem to be misplaced. They are hard to place.
- the big lot on the small island should have at least a bit of flat space. It just looks hilarious if sims have to flywalk to their trash can. My suggestion would be to make it a bit smaller and to paint parts of the island unroutable where the terrain is that steep.
- there are several lovely beach-y areas, why did you chose to make the beach on such a small lot? Also, as there are not many items on the lot (I assume you had placed it somewhere else before or changed the terrain after placement) - rebuild this lot. Place it freshly, maybe at a less steep spot, and then add the items again. The edges are really very uneven.

Please find some hopefully helpful pictures at a private post on tumblr.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 25th May 2017 at 2:24 PM
And some more feeback for CAW (see pictures in tumblr post here.

Routing looks good in general

You need to avoid unconnected spots like in the first picture though. Sims can spawn there but not leave the area. You can hide object and flora layers to have a better view of the routing grid (View -> Layer -> uncklick objects and flora).

Also, there are some really strange things going on with the routing grid (see second picture). If everything runs fine in game, it’s just another weird EA bug. But to be on the save side I would replace all lots. And by this I don’t mean delete and undo, but delete and draw again, this seemed to fix the grid. Save all your built lots to the bin first, you can easily plop them again in EIG. This will also eliminate most lot tears (in caw I found some more).
Scholar
#17 Old 26th May 2017 at 5:50 AM
I'll try to test for you this weekend. One of the best tools for roads, I think, is the road grading tool. If you set it to "smooth" at the edges for a minimum of 3 spaces it will make nice little shoulders on either side of the road. (More spaces for wider shoulders.) It's really best to get all the lumps and bumps out of roads before placing lots. Or, replace the lots after smoothing the roads. Otherwise, it tends to increase lot tearing. (If you don't understand what I mean, I'll open CAW and give some example of the settings I use to smooth roads. I'm probably not explaining myself very well.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 26th May 2017 at 10:12 AM Last edited by chi168 : 26th May 2017 at 10:42 AM.
I think I know what you mean Simmy, I've had some problems on the upper road on the little hill (definitely should start making names), Im just having problems keeping it straight after making it look good. I think i will replace those lots properly so i can change it a bit easier.
Also, thank you very much Vincent, I've been doing routing and moving floating grass a lot!
Screenshots