Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 2:51 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 30th Apr 2016 at 3:20 PM.
Replacing Sound Effects (.snr files)
Has anyone ever had any luck in doing so? Right now I'm trying to figure out a streamlined approach to this.

There's a thread here: http://modthesims.info/t/418050 and here: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.p...t=4922&start=15
And my post here: http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...5#startcomments

But it's pretty old and the programs didn't work for me.

Alternatively, is there any way of disabling particular sound effects at all?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 1st May 2016 at 10:47 AM
Thanks for the tip!

How would I replace a .snr with another file? I have some in mind.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd May 2016 at 5:39 AM
Thanks!

Do you know how to play snr files? I want to pick out which files to use.

I tried ffplay, but not all of them play.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd May 2016 at 1:37 PM
Has the method of replacing .snrs worked for you?

Trying it right now but it doesn't seem to change the sounds.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd May 2016 at 3:34 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 3rd May 2016 at 12:04 PM.
Thanks for the note!

Hmm, if I want to replace an audio set completely, I assume I would have to also include an overwritten .AUDTUN file in the package, right?

Do you know any single audio tracks that would be suitable for replacing the steam train sounds from World Adventures? I'm looking for something more of background noise.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd May 2016 at 12:21 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 3rd May 2016 at 12:31 PM.
I tried that tutorial before, but I've been running into the issue where ealayer3 closes immediately after I open it.

I did manage to find an empty SNR file that worked, though. It seems that a lot of the SNR files in the Fullbuild package are actually empty!

Strangely enough though, duplicating one of the original sound effects (so that I got just the engine sound twice) and changing the name did not work. The whistle sound still appeared!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th May 2016 at 6:21 AM
Thanks

Has the SNR conversion method worked for you? Or any sound conversions for that matter?

The original files I'm looking to replace are SNR files.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th May 2016 at 5:25 PM
Would a sns file work the same way as a snr file?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th May 2016 at 6:31 PM
Hmm ok,

In my case, I have two Snr files that would then probably need to be replaced with new two corresponding snr files.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 6th May 2016 at 9:15 AM
Wojtek, this is a considerable breakthrough. You might just be a National Hero of the Sim People.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th May 2016 at 12:20 PM
@Wojtek- Thanks!

I just need to first finish putting together the sound files first

The original snr file are uploaded here: http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...623#post5013623
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th May 2016 at 3:24 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 15th May 2016 at 1:08 PM.
@Wojtek - Thanks for the tutorial!

Hmm, when I tried it, the sound came out all garbled and weird.

Edit: I tried again and one of the sounds came out ok, but the other came out silent.

Both seem to be kind of quiet as well compared to the original recordings.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 16th May 2016 at 1:24 AM
Ok I got it to work! Dunno why it didn't the first time around.

Anyways, thanks again for the tutorial! You ought to post it again in the Modding forums for others to reference in the future!
Site Helper
#14 Old 16th May 2016 at 1:13 PM
Actually, I think it should probably be in the tutorials in the Wiki.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 5:35 AM
Default Editing AUDTUN files?
@Wojtek

I have a quick question- is the AUDTUN file what controls the .snr files that play?

I'm currently working on a desert planet world, and I'm trying to figure out a way of silencing those ambient bird and insect noises. I could manually replace all .snr files, but there's a huge number of .snr files (literally around a thousand for just Seasons Bird sounds). As such, I'm wondering how the AUDTUN file could be altered so that it reads none of the .snr files?

Also, your tutorial was tremendously helpful for helping me replace the sounds on the World Adventures train with subway sounds for my New York world. Thanks again
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 1:26 PM
@Wojtek

The header is the first line (00000000), am I right? I haven't done this in a while so I'm a bit rusty. Also wondering- if I do the same thing in a .AUDTUN file, would it have the same effect?

I'll have to look into some bulk rename programs then, I suppose.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 3:38 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 8th Oct 2018 at 6:41 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Wojtek
@jje1000, I don't think altering the AUDTUN is a good idea. I've never done this and I don't recommend doing it.

@Wojtek

I didn't get time to touch it yet, but I noticed that Twoftmama has a set of STFU no music mods- I took a look and it seems like she edited the AUDT files (basically setting enclosed values to 0?):

http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php...d-june-29-2013/
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 11:37 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 10th Oct 2018 at 3:28 AM.
It seems that it's possible to edit AUDT files but honestly, I have no idea how.

@Wojtek

I opened the AUDT files in HxD and this was what I saw:

Unedited CAS File:

Edited Random File:

It looks like everything from the fourth onwards to the end is replaced with zeroes?

I have one further question- I've been replacing soundtracks in the game, and I've found that the replaced soundtracks don't loop or move onto the next songs like the originals- would I have to match the original length in the replacement songs?
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 4:08 PM
Yup, I've also noticed it. I have currently no idea what causes it and how to fix it

I have a gut feeling that it has to do with AUDT file, since it's the file that references and organizes sns and snr files.

As it stands, a full-game soundtrack replacement is probably not too viable- I'm aiming for the replacement of the main menu, loading and map music since people don't spend too much time in those places. I'll probably hold off on the CAS and Buy/Build, since people do spend a lot of time there and the lack of music looping will be more strange.
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 5:47 PM
Sorry to jump into your conversation but I would love to have the build/buy music muted. I do spend a lot of time there and the music drives me crazy. I mute the whole game to avoid it. If there was a mod for this specifically it would make things easier!
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 5:57 PM
Thank you so much! This will make my builder's life so much easier
Test Subject
#22 Old 26th Nov 2018 at 11:03 AM
Awesome! Can someone please make more realistic hoof sounds for my my horses now please xxx
Forum Resident
#23 Old 26th Nov 2018 at 1:15 PM
Before Supernatural came out, and we were able to make Ghost sims in CAS, in game ghosts, whether NPC or playable, never actually spoke proper simlish. It was always some really cool haunting sort of speech, with sounds of rattling chains and hollow "woooo" kinds of noises. And ghosts babies crying would always be silent. They went through the motions of crying, but they made no noise. I do believe it was supernatural that changed all that ( or maybe the SN patch ) so that ghost sims still sound "ghostly" but they speak proper simlish like other sims and babies now make noise when they cry.

I'd really like them to go back to their original voice sounds. I loved silent ghost babies. Is this possible?
( I don't really want to uninstall SN, its my favourite EP )

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
InnaLisa Pose Archive
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#24 Old 1st Apr 2019 at 5:59 AM
Some good news- I can definitely confirm that if you empty/replace all values with '00' in the AUDTUN/AUDT file, you can disable certain sound effects!

Goodbye birds, hello desert!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#25 Old 4th Apr 2021 at 12:22 PM
@Wotjek @jje1000 In case anybody is wondering, you can use mono files by changing the second byte to 01.  

Interestingly enough the EALayer3 source code refers to bytes 4-8 as the TotalSamples, so I'm curious as to the reasoning for setting byte 4 to 0x40.  Was there a specific reason for this?

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Page 1 of 2