Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 11:59 PM Last edited by mdsb759 : 14th Jun 2018 at 8:38 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default pre-made Downtown [fixed]
game crashes when I tried to add the pre-made Downtown.
on the creation screen, the crashing occurs after the 3rd bar on top appears.
a message comes up; something like "application has crashed. it will now terminate."

happened with both pre-made main neighborhoods and with custom main neighborhoods.
tried in main game and in AnyGameStarter; crashed each time.
AGS combinations::
-Apartment Life + Seasons + Pets + Nightlife
-Apartment Life + Nightlife
-just Nightlife

last I tried, no crashing with a custom downtown; main game, custom neighborhood.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 12:41 AM
Maybe there's something wrong in your Downtown file?
First thing I'd try to repair the installation in Origin (if you have the Ultimate Collection), although you should be able to copy it from the disc if you have the ones for NL. Then I would replace it with one of the clean versions you can find online and see how it goes.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 8:38 PM
replaced the sub-neighborhood folder with disc equivalent. and downloaded the downtowns in the link.
game crashed with each.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 11:36 PM
things I tried in the past month::
-added Sims2 base game and current expansions to firewall exceptions.
-changed the "simpleterrain" lines in files named "Graphics Rules".
crashing occurred after both with the addition of the pre-made Downtown.
Undead Molten Llama
#5 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 10:58 AM Last edited by iCad : 21st Apr 2018 at 11:14 AM.
1) Can you attach a custom downtown? If so, then the problem is likely with the Maxis downtown template. Nevermind, I missed that you'd done this on your initial post.

But also, 2) Are you playing with any CC? Could be you have a default replacement for something that is used in the Maxis downtown but that is broken, so the game crashes when it tries to load the downtown. If you're playing with CC, try taking out your The Sims 2 folder, loading the game to regenerate that file, then try adding the Maxis downtown to one of the neighborhoods, see if it works. If it does, then you'll know that the issue is with the CC, not the template.

In the end, if the template is broken, then perhaps uninstalling/reinstalling Nightlife alone might help if you're working from discs. Or, if you're using the UC, repairing the game might help. If that doesn't work, you might need to uninstall/reinstall the whole game from scratch.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 8:29 PM Last edited by mdsb759 : 21st Apr 2018 at 9:59 PM.
the AnyGames I mentioned in opening post were without custom content.
do not have Ultimate Collection; am using disc version of the game.

not sure if this relates; but awhile ago tried creating a custom main neighborhood with "concrete" terrain type and the game crashed then. also "dirt".

edit:: would attempt uninstall then reinstall later.
Undead Molten Llama
#7 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 2:19 PM
I'm pretty sure your issue with the concrete terrain, whatever it is, is your problem with the Maxis downtown, seeing as it's on the concrete terrain by default. Sounds like something is messed up with the basic terrains your game. I'm guessing you'll need to reinstall the whole thing.

Although it also might be an AGS thing. That thing is always screwing up something whenever I attempt to install it. I've washed my hands of it.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 3:22 PM
Not sure why it would be an AGS thing since it just uses the game files. I'm wondering where the textures for the terrains are in the game files. If you can identify the right file, you could copy over the relevant file from the disks.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Undead Molten Llama
#9 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 3:40 PM
I just don't trust AGS as far as I can throw it, is all.

I doubt it's just the textures that are the problem, though, in that I doubt that if they were missing/broken that it would cause the game to crash. I'd think things would just look bizarre. I could certainly be wrong, though! If I am, then the terrain textures -- and a crapload of other textures -- are in EA GAMES/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/Sims3D/Textures.package.

Alchemist
Original Poster
#10 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 10:43 PM Last edited by mdsb759 : 28th Apr 2018 at 12:06 AM.
replaced Nightlife's PACKAGE files with their disc equivalents. game still crashed when I tried to add the pre-made Downtown.
have not attempted to create a concrete/dirt neighborhood/sub-neighborhood.

used computer's Search function in the Program Files directory. main files that changed were ones I changed; sub-neighborhood files.
made PACKAGE files "Read-Only" shortly after pack installation; also shortly after the changes.

not sure, but I think game engine might be another part of the problem.

edit:: the crashing occurred before I changed the sub-neighborhoods.
no other PACKAGE files were edited.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd May 2018 at 12:05 AM
Default bypassed
created a version of Downtown that did not crash.
used a SC4 file I made; and used the Hood Replacer program after creating a custom neighborhood.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 8:37 PM
fixed. problem was an INI file; NeighborhoodTerrain. each expansion's was same as base game's.
copied Nightlife's from disc; afterward copied that one to my post-Nightlife expansions (Pets, Seasons, Apartment Life).