Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Mar 2024 at 4:26 PM Last edited by Elynda : 15th Mar 2024 at 7:51 PM.
Default Tutorial on how to create deco sims?
I need to create a fairly large number of deco sims to populate crowd scenes in a story. There are a few ready made deco sims I know of, but none of them suit my present purposes: since mine need to be wearing Victorian costume or military uniform. So my only recourse is to create them myself. Except I haven't the faintest idea how to go about it. So I've been looking for any tutorials there might be on the subject. As usual there seem to be plenty on how to create them for Sims 4, but so far I have drawn a blank when it comes to Sims 3. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 15th Mar 2024 at 6:34 PM
So I found this thread with a suggestion https://www.reddit.com/r/Sims3/comm...king_deco_sims/
using this https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=639447

I haven't done it so I don't know if it would work but you could try.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 15th Mar 2024 at 7:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Elynda
I need to create a fairly large number of deco sims to populate crowd scenes in a story. There are a few of ready made deco sims I know of, but none of them suit my present purposes: since mine need to be wearing Victorian costume or military uniform. So my only recourse is to create them myself. Except I haven't the faintest idea how to go about it. So I've been looking for any tutorials there might be on the subject. As usual there seem to be plenty on how to create them for Sims 4, but so far I have drawn a blank when it comes to Sims 3. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Perhaps Cmar's finally WIP was SimRipper tool... https://modthesims.info/showthread....25#startcomment
I have used it to create realistic TS3 statues and pose them. It might help with what you want to do. Go thru the pages, she posted several WIP updated versions in the thread.

Shiny, happy people make me puke!
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Mar 2024 at 7:37 PM
@marydehoyos & @LadySmoks

Those look worth investigating, thank you both.

I'd been wondering all along if it were possible to take an actual sim and turn them into a deco object, and it now appears that may be just the way to go. Making and dressing sims will be easy enough, and I've got Blender all set up and ready to go. So now I just need to learn what I have to do with it.

And statues, eh? Now that's an idea. Because there is one particular sim who ought to have a statue in my little kingdom.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Inventor
#5 Old 15th Mar 2024 at 9:21 PM
@marydehoyos & @LadySmoks

Those look worth investigating, thank you both.

I'd been wondering all along if it were possible to take an actual sim and turn them into a deco object, and it now appears that may be just the way to go. Making and dressing sims will be easy enough, and I've got Blender all set up and ready to go. So now I just need to learn what I have to do with it.

And statues, eh? Now that's an idea. Because there is one particular sim who ought to have a statue in my little kingdom.

I would love to see it if you can get it to work. That would be very cool.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Mar 2024 at 10:51 PM
I'll see what I can come up with.

Forum Resident
#7 Old 16th Mar 2024 at 2:29 AM
@marydehoyos & @Elynda

I do not think Cmar finished SimRipper, but an older version that I used when I went on a statue kick worked well. What I did was a bit involved... After extracting the Sim, I converted to geom, added bones, imported to Blender and made a rig with rigify (what I now know, can probably do the same using the rig in Smug Toamato's geom tools). Then, I posed the models and exported as object. I had some issues with hair, but fudged my way thru it. I made simple multipliers, but SimRipper creates a full texture image, including accys, and the model is UV matched to it.

I consider these as "tasteful", but Adam's... manhood... may have been a bit much for MTS.
Screenshots

Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Mar 2024 at 4:14 AM
Wow, those look terrific!

I've long wanted to create two statues for use in the 'Queen Lucy' story:: one of the recently deceased King Robert II, and another of his great ancestor Brian Pengarath. Now I know what's possible I shall give it a try.

Inventor
#9 Old 16th Mar 2024 at 5:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
@marydehoyos & @Elynda

I do not think Cmar finished SimRipper, but an older version that I used when I went on a statue kick worked well. What I did was a bit involved... After extracting the Sim, I converted to geom, added bones, imported to Blender and made a rig with rigify (what I now know, can probably do the same using the rig in Smug Toamato's geom tools). Then, I posed the models and exported as object. I had some issues with hair, but fudged my way thru it. I made simple multipliers, but SimRipper creates a full texture image, including accys, and the model is UV matched to it.

I consider these as "tasteful", but Adam's... manhood... may have been a bit much for MTS.

Those are awesome!!!
Forum Resident
#10 Old 16th Mar 2024 at 2:50 PM
Wow, those look terrific!

I've long wanted to create two statues for use in the 'Queen Lucy' story:: one of the recently deceased King Robert II, and another of his great ancestor Brian Pengarath. Now I know what's possible I shall give it a try.

I haven't used the tool in some time, and know that there have been updates, so some issues I had may be fixed in later versions. Basically, make a Sim and dress him as you want the statue to appear. SimRipper will save ALL outfits, including nude. When I last used it, you had to sort thru the models to find the one you want, but a very small thing to do. As I recall, some custom hairs and garments didn't show. Not sure why. The models are in generic A pose, so you must rig and pose them. Also, some posture sliders caused issues, but again, may have been fixed since the last time I used the tool.