2 people viewing
Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#901 Old Yesterday at 3:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kirabook
Hm, I think this is simply another "split" in the genre and how people want to play. The super micromanagy nature of LBY might appeal to very controlling simmers who don't give their sims free will. Or simmers who actually like a little bit of chaos and the GTA style of life sim. Or the simmers who literally only play one character (usually a young adult) and not much else. As an FFXIV player, this pretty much sounds just like an mmo or what I imagine Second Life to be like with the click click click mentioned. There is an audience for this and it can still appeal to the crowd that wouldn't normally play their life sim like this.

I would hope this means the AI (programmed AI not generative AI) of the characters you aren't currently controlling are not only smart enough to to take care of themselves, but can also build skills and do complicated tasks without the input of the player.

Imagine playing a 3 person household and none of them will cook unless you control them and pick out the ingredients. None of them will do extra stuff at work unless you tell them to. Etc etc. So yes, I think for a system like this to work to the fullest, their characters need to be VERY smart. They need to be able to do all the things you can do unattended else things will start feeling pretty shallow.

Edit: I've been thinking, maybe comparing LBY to The Sims was a wrong marketing move. The more we learn, the more this just feels like Second Life 2.

I may be making the wrong assumption here, but it seems like the undirected household would act the same way as the general population in the town. If the only person who can eat is the one you are controlling, then the whole town would starve quite quickly. Surely that can't be how it works?
Advertisement
Instructor
#902 Old Yesterday at 8:00 PM Last edited by FREEDOM_55 : Yesterday at 8:36 PM.
Updates
I don't mean to interrupt, If I am please ignore and carry on.

the official Life By You Chanel posted a new video a few minutes ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NszxBy-77IE

Based on the video, I am calling it: this is how Life by You graphically will look on June 4th upon early access release. Early Access is only 3 weeks away!
Thoughts? How are we feeling?

If anyone is wondering here are the minimum and recommended requirements for Life by You Early Access:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2358660/Life_by_You/

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-8600K or AMD® Ryzen™ 5 2600X
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia® GeForce™ GTX 970 (4GB) or Nvidia® GeForce™ GTX 1650 (4GB) or AMD® Radeon™ RX 470 (4GB)
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 25 GB available space
Additional Notes: Optimized for 30 FPS

RECOMMENDED:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel Core i5-10400F / AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Memory: 32 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB/AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 25 GB available space
Additional Notes: Optimized for 30 FPS

Update on my Questions:
so my question in my previous comments was not answered in the discord yet. There was this massive post on Reddit with many upvotes and comments where an artist changed anatomy and specifically pointed out what needed changes. They were not the first to do so but certainly the most clear, it was refreshing to see it so visually presented. The post became so popular on LBY official subreddit, that last night Rocio from the LBY team responded with their typical generic response. I replied and asked and just now I finally received an answer!

Here is the Reddit thread/post in question: https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeByYou/..._anatomy_study/

I asked:
Quote: Originally posted by FREEDOM_55
Can you confirm that the artist will be making changes to the default 3D base mesh itself?
...Are the LBY team and artists willing to alter the default base mesh knowing it will effect height, scale, and animations? Now or in the future?

Answer:
Quote: Originally posted by RocioPDX
Hi FREEDOM55SIMS! Sorry for the confusion, we didn't intend for anyone to wait for a response from Rod-- I said I would consult with Rod on possibly having a video, no confirmation yet.

That being said, we had planned to answer your question in the Discord Q&A. Since each session is about 30 minutes, we don't get to all of the questions during the session, sometimes saving them for future sessions or answering them on subsequent asks, especially if we need to get answers from folks on the team. Regardless, we had planned on answering in a future session when we ran out of time last time, but several folks sent over this thread and I wanted to make sure that OP received confirmation that we saw it!

As for your questions:

To directly answer your questions - Yes to both.

The longer, nuanced answer is -

The team has made several changes to the base model. However, we have an added layer of changes that we can do on the fly in-game through the DNA of characters, such things as arm proportions and shoulder variations are tied to that DNA. We will continue to fine tune this to improve character proportions to ensure that existing and new clothing assets remain functional. We are also continuing to work on elements like animation improvements, including posture and idles, which will help improve the look and feel of characters.

Progress is steady and will continue throughout Early Access.

So I stand corrected this is not the final look of the characters according to the LBY Team.

I will follow up upon the final release to see how much the base mesh changed.
Theorist
#903 Old Yesterday at 9:00 PM
I feel that the animations will be more-or-less what we see today on Early Access launch, but I'm not that worried long-term. There's enough time to sort it, although obviously having fluid animations from the start would be the optimum route. They're keen for feedback, and animations will be a large chunk of that and hard to ignore.
I'm quite confident that we will have a significantly better product a year from now.

Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Scholar
#904 Old Today at 1:11 AM
So, about this part :

The team has made several changes to the base model. However, we have an added layer of changes that we can do on the fly in-game through the DNA of characters, such things as arm proportions and shoulder variations are tied to that DNA. We will continue to fine tune this to improve character proportions to ensure that existing and new clothing assets remain functional.

Does this mean, that their future changes to the base model are limited by the already created clothes? And if so, could it be so limited that they will never get the upper body proportions right?
Field Researcher
#905 Old Today at 4:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kkffoo
I may be making the wrong assumption here, but it seems like the undirected household would act the same way as the general population in the town. If the only person who can eat is the one you are controlling, then the whole town would starve quite quickly. Surely that can't be how it works?

That is true. Though I can also a imagine a situation where everyone's needs who aren't being controlled becomes static until you control them again. Or they just fill up at certain intervals when you aren't controlling them to keep them alive. This is unlikely of course. I just wonder how their ai (not generative ai) works and will perform.
Lab Assistant
#906 Old Today at 11:06 AM
I see that the character model has definitely improved, but the arms are still positioned behind the back. It is not that bad, but it is noticeable. The arms look kind of small as well. I can see why this is causing problems regarding animations.

This bothers me a lot because everything else about the models is being improved. I can kind of see emotion in their eyes. That might be my first impression though.

The customization options are great and there is a lot of room for creating diverse characters. But, the arm proportions need to change.

Someone actually wrote a comment in this thread telling us that the team is calling us ableist for complaining about arm proportions. But, this game will have zero types of disabilities. There is no visual impairment, colour blindness, walking disabilities, blindness, mental illnesses and so on.
Page 37 of 37