Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 12:02 AM
Default Do you plan on cleaning up your download folder?
I have over 7.33 gbs of Custom Content and mods a lot of which I don't even use or much care about and some of the clothes and hairs are missing meshes and there are a lot of copies of the same clothes mainly the female winter outfits that came with Seasons and some female child clothes that are categorized for males some of which are default replacements and not only that but i'm playing on an old Intel Celeron and I must give it credit for such an old and low end laptop it still managed to load and run and that stuff on it properly without too lag or trouble and on high settings too although I sometimes have to wait quite a while for it to finish loading. Anyways i'm planning on cleaning it up right after i'm done playing a legacy.
Advertisement
Link Ninja
#2 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 12:05 AM
I'm planning on cleaning my download folder in the sense I'm going to scrub every hair file with a bracket or other wonky character in it. My goal is to make loading smoother by fixing file names and not a drastic CC cull. If I manage to get through that I'll set my sights to other areas of CC to clean.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 12:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
I'm planning on cleaning my download folder in the sense I'm going to scrub every hair file with a bracket or other wonky character in it. My goal is to make loading smoother by fixing file names and not a drastic CC cull. If I manage to get through that I'll set my sights to other areas of CC to clean.

Really? Do you have the same problems that i'm having like copies of the same outfits or outfits categorized for both genders?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 12:09 AM
All of us take the pledge to 'clean up our folders and games!" and then by the time we do it, there's sometime a lot more stuff to replace it with...new shinies!

Although right now I'm doing a clean out myself..picking and choosing what I don't want. The game will play better with less stuff, I think.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#5 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 12:10 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 9th Dec 2017 at 12:23 AM.
I got my 30-35-ish GB folder down to roughly 24 GB. Took me weeks to get through it, and I'm not yet done cleaning up, though it's a start. I had plans to do it for ages, even started a few times (but never got anywhere useful until now).

I haven't finished putting in all the newest shinies, though. I can imagine the folder growing quite a lot a little bit more.

I had a lot of clothes missing meshes, awful hairs I've never used, and a bunch of "junk files" (archives, big or too many pictures, text files, etc.) - I still have the files, just not in the folder I intend to use for playing. I also recategorized a lot of the clothes to suit my preferences, and I'm considering recategorizing everything in the buy mode into proper categories, too.

I'm a CC hoarder, and probably have at least 100 GBs worth of CC altogether, more if you count TS3/TS4 items...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 12:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
All of us take the pledge to 'clean up our folders and games!" and then by the time we do it, there's sometime a lot more stuff to replace it with...new shinies!

Although right now I'm doing a clean out myself..picking and choosing what I don't want. The game will play better with less stuff, I think.

Yeah I have a lot of stuff in there that I downloaded years ago that I don't care about anymore but I don't bother with them because there is no way to sort out the stuff I want to keep from the junk that's been hoarding in the folder for years.
Link Ninja
#7 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 12:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gamegenius
Really? Do you have the same problems that i'm having like copies of the same outfits or outfits categorized for both genders?

I probably do have those issues with duplicate meshes, but that's not what is on my cleaning agenda. Usually we (and this isn't all but a lot of us do this or have done it) just download cc, unzip and throw it in our downloads wherever it may go; but files named such as [creatorname] Special hair retextured - pookletv2.package will take longer to load than something like creatorname_FAHairName.package. So multiply those wonky names by the hundreds and that can lead to a pretty slow loading time.

BTW I just saw this sentiment on SimSecret. I didn't submit it but I guess I'm not the only one with this file naming issue on mind.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 12:20 AM
I probably do have those issues with duplicate meshes, but that's not what is on my cleaning agenda. Usually we (and this isn't all but a lot of us do this or have done it) just download cc, unzip and throw it in our downloads wherever it may go; but files named such as [creatorname] Special hair retextured - pookletv2.package will take longer to load than something like creatorname_FAHairName.package. So multiply those wonky names by the hundreds and that can lead to a pretty slow loading time.

BTW I just saw this sentiment on SimSecret. I didn't submit it but I guess I'm not the only one with this file naming issue on mind.

I heard if you rename your files then your game would load faster but you probably don't want to bother with all that because it's too much work. If you do then a program called batch file renamer should save you a lot time and stress.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 12:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I got my 30-35-ish GB folder down to roughly 24 GB. Took me weeks to get through it, and I'm not yet done cleaning up, though it's a start. I had plans to do it for ages, even started a few times (but never got anywhere useful until now).

I haven't finished putting in all the newest shinies, though. I can imagine the folder growing quite a lot a little bit more.

I had a lot of clothes missing meshes, awful hairs I've never used, and a bunch of "junk files" (archives, big or too many pictures, text files, etc.) - I still have the files, just not in the folder I intend to use for playing.

I'm a CC hoarder, and probably have at least 100 GBs worth of CC altogether, more if you count TS3/TS4 items...

I could relate a lot to your dilemma.
Theorist
#10 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 1:21 AM
I have been plannin on and doin a clean up of my CC for the past 2 years :P

It's been slow goin due to RL gettin in the way at times and then my own attention span... but I can say that it is progressing how I want now that I have a decent system and I have been keepin to it for anything new that I'm gettin even though I said I wouldn't ... lol
Scholar
#11 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 2:11 AM
*looks at the title of the thread*

*laughs uncontrollably*

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Mad Poster
#12 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 2:34 AM
I always plan to.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 3:24 AM
For the users that wish to undergo the renaming files route, I strongly recommend Bulk Rename Utility. It allows you to rename massive amounts of files at a single time, saving you the hassle of having to use cmd prompt. It only officially supports various Windows OS' though, so Mac users may have trouble using it.

On topic; Yes I do. I have a few pieces of content that need to be removed as they are never used.

We all have to look for answers somewhere. Some in big ol' books, others in big ol' bottles of whiskey.

— Kimberly Irion as Bonnie MacFarlane in Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 7:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DuskTrooper
For the users that wish to undergo the renaming files route, I strongly recommend Bulk Rename Utility. It allows you to rename massive amounts of files at a single time, saving you the hassle of having to use cmd prompt. It only officially supports various Windows OS' though, so Mac users may have trouble using it.

On topic; Yes I do. I have a few pieces of content that need to be removed as they are never used.

How do you use it? I have a bunch of files that have long names and learning how to rename them would sure help lessen the load time or so I heard.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 7:57 AM Last edited by kanzen : 9th Dec 2017 at 8:32 AM.
when you plan to clean your downloads folder but you keep putting it off
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#16 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 8:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gamegenius
Do you plan on cleaning up your download folder?

No.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 9:55 AM
Do you plan on cleaning up your download folder?

Not really. I've got some 4,800 files in my downloads folder adding up to 1.46 GB. Compared to some members, that's not all that much, and I'm quite happy with the 10-15 minutes load time I have now. I might try to look for duplicates one day, and I always mean to move all the clothing which is currently in the root Downloads folder into a Clothing subfolder, but what I've got is working, and I'm a bit afraid that I break it.

If you're wondering why I've got CC clothing in my root Downloads folder, it's because, when I first started to play, all that I downloaded was clothing and a few male hairs. (I knew about CC clothing even before I bought the game.) I just put it all unsorted into my Downloads folder. When I started downloading hacks and other CC I put it into sub-folders, and I eventually moved the hair to its own folder, but the clothing got left in the root Downloads folder.

I should also mention that I've got 276 files (58 MB) in my SavedSims folder. Some of that is Sims, but a lot is clothing that I've recoloured and/or altered myself. (58MB doesn't seem much now, but I remember when a 40 MB hard disk was considered big.)

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 11:10 AM Last edited by Gamegenius : 9th Dec 2017 at 11:39 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by kanzen
when you plan to clean your downloads folder but you keep putting it off

I want to but when I take a look in the download folder and see all of these folders and files i'm like screw it and didn't bother with organizing and removing the stuff I no longer want or dislike from it. If I do then I'll just keep the ones that I really like and just start fresh with some new Custom Content as most of mine are pretty old because I downloaded them a long time ago and there are better stuff on the internet to download I just need a lot of time to track them down and download them but the only problem would be the ones that don't have meshes included in the download so you would have to go to some obscure website to download them just to find out that the website is no longer there anymore because they're so old and the owner no longer has the funds to keep the website running is replaced by some kind of public domain website.Most of the time the Internet Archive is pretty useful for recovering those old sites but sometimes it doesn't have the files you wanted archived so unless anybody else has the files you're looking for you're pretty much screwed and I forgot to mention the ones that you download from somebody else's account but the files are no longer there anymore.
Scholar
#19 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 3:17 PM
Okay, okay, I did organize my folder into sub folders. But I have one folder labeled ETC Stuff because I have no idea what the heck a file named 000000000cec61570000000800000000 is. And yes, that is a real file whose name I copied.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Scholar
#20 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 3:57 PM
i get those files a lot,i place them into a folder called cc which i can't identify it could be eyes or decorations?

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#21 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 4:00 PM

I just use a file-renamer programme to remove them all (the odd characters I mean). I've found for me it doesn't make all that much difference anyway - it made the load slightly longer in fact when I did an experiment a while back and removed a whole pile together.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 8:48 PM
I'm always cleaning sorting it it *open cupboard pushes more in shuts door* It's an ongoing process.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#23 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 11:10 PM
I plan to do so but due to the amounts of mods I give up after about 2 hours of getting nowhere.
Too many folders which could count for a single mod eg a conversion chair that works ingame in a natural, castawayand mediveal setting could go into my castaway, mediveal, outdoors or conversions folders. One file with 4 possible folder destinations. That and I forget where some end up.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 12:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DezzyBoo
Okay, okay, I did organize my folder into sub folders. But I have one folder labeled ETC Stuff because I have no idea what the heck a file named 000000000cec61570000000800000000 is. And yes, that is a real file whose name I copied.
It may help to open such files with SimPE. Images and text strings may help you identify what the package is supposed to do. Don't change anything in SimPE unless you're very sure what you're doing, but looking won't do any harm. If you have SimPE installed, double-clicking on any file with a .package extension will open it in SimPE.

Tip: To see all your file extensions, go into Windows Explorer, Folder Options, View, and clear the tick in the box marked "Hide extensions for known file types". IMHO hiding file extensions by default (which has been done since Windows 95) is one of the most unhelpful ideas that Microsoft has ever come up with. It was only done to make Windows look more like the Mac interface.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Alchemist
#25 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 1:07 AM Last edited by mdsb759 : 10th Dec 2017 at 1:44 AM.
file size is not a problem in my game.
my Downloads folder is currently 76.4 MB and currently has 957 files.

main time I remove files is when content becomes available elsewhere.

edit:: memory capacity on the hard drive is 465 GB and currently has 86% free space.
Page 1 of 4