Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#101 Old 5th Dec 2012 at 5:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lilibug1
Probably...try uninstalling the old version and then installing the new version. And what exactly do you mean by "trouble"?

Yup, that's what it was. I wasn't getting a second Praaven (like, Praaven(1)) in my drop-down under create new neighbourhood. I really thought you could have multiple versions of the same world as I've accidentally made two installs of the same world before.

Aw, well. New version up and testing! No crazy crashing or anything so far. I've got the specs turned down on the game and it occasionally lags, but I'm not exactly playing on a top rank gaming machine...lag is pretty inevitable for me.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#102 Old 6th Dec 2012 at 5:39 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 6th Dec 2012 at 4:01 PM.
Quick update:

The CC testing file has been updated. If you are using an older CC file, please do not use this particular set. There are many other alternatives that can be looked at and suggested.

http://www.modthesims.info/d/399508

Updated CC File Here:
https://rapidshare.com/files/2630144532/CC.zip
Field Researcher
#103 Old 6th Dec 2012 at 1:09 PM
Thank you, jje1000.
I think this way is easier to test and identify what CC is causing the crashes in Praaven. If the testers find any issue with the tapestries or the medieval chest, please let me know asap and I will try to fix the problem.
Good luck with this wonderful world!
Top Secret Researcher
#104 Old 6th Dec 2012 at 4:53 PM
Still working on those houses! We leave Saturday for a week long vacation on the beach with our extended family. That means I am in charge of making sure all the kids and hubby pack everything, food is planned and groceries bought, grandkids have toys and baby stuff, animals are off to their perspective caregivers, etc. Not sure how much time I will have to work on this until I get back! Sorry, just bad timing with the holidays.

The monastery looks awesome, btw!
Lab Assistant
#105 Old 6th Dec 2012 at 6:12 PM Last edited by lowrisim : 6th Dec 2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Question
Quote: Originally posted by rian90

Aww thanks Rian90. I am taking this as a complement for ME rather it was meant for me or not even though I know the credit goes to those great buildings.
jje1000's buildings are so inspiring.

Can't wait to see your stuff and be playing this world.

update:
Rian90 I assumed you just looked at the pictures...but did you put it in your world. If not I am not asking that you do you are busy, but... if so is it functioning well as a community lot. I built it thinking it would be residential. I am going to start redoing it in the 1.36 patch version, so can make any changes needed. Better to put suggestions here http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=492460 and not clutter this thread.
Theorist
#106 Old 6th Dec 2012 at 8:39 PM
Just had a little walkabout on the latest version, with torrential rainfall.
It was wonderfully atmospheric. Reminded me of Elder Scrolls, which is always a good thing.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#107 Old 7th Dec 2012 at 3:28 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 7th Dec 2012 at 3:43 AM.
Currently at this rate, progress is a little slow, but I'm hoping for at least a majority of the world finished by the New Year! Hopefully, this weekend will allow me to do some final touch ups on the weather files.

- Sky-horizon colors still need to be worked out to avoid the pesky land-is-brighter-than-sky issue
- Weather needs to be further tweaked- perhaps a bit more saturated skies and brighter clouds
- Stronger highlights? Bluer shadows? Even more washed-out bright areas?
- Fog in CAW is different than in-game fog- hopefully a Guru will get around to help
- Ways to further distort water reflections? Get additional atmospheric bloom?
- Addressing the shadow fade-out

Building wise...

lowrisim is helping finish the monastery, perhaps other lots as well?
rian90 is finishing up houses in the city; her lots as post-1.42 and must be placed by the players.
silverwyd is helping out in the foothills (her lots are all finished, but they are 1.42 lots and will be rebuilt as 1.36); she has also gone AWOL for the moment.
I may swoop in to finish a few lots here and there.

Quote: Originally posted by rian90
Still working on those houses! We leave Saturday for a week long vacation on the beach with our extended family. That means I am in charge of making sure all the kids and hubby pack everything, food is planned and groceries bought, grandkids have toys and baby stuff, animals are off to their perspective caregivers, etc. Not sure how much time I will have to work on this until I get back! Sorry, just bad timing with the holidays.

Oh, take your time! This should never come in front of your family and personal life.

Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Just had a little walkabout on the latest version, with torrential rainfall.
It was wonderfully atmospheric. Reminded me of Elder Scrolls, which is always a good thing.

I hope I've convinced you of the merits of this new world
Theorist
#108 Old 7th Dec 2012 at 3:06 PM
Yeah, it is certainly a lovely hood. I still do honestly prefer the layout of the old hood, but I have managed to place some deco land around the city. I hope this illustrates how the extra land creates a different look, one I was so fond of in the previous version.

Honestly it is one of the best hoods available, even at this stage. Keep up the good work!

#BlairWitchPetition
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
#109 Old 8th Dec 2012 at 5:36 AM Last edited by lowrisim : 8th Dec 2012 at 5:53 AM.
jje1000

Head up: check the location of trash can and mail box on placed lots.

I started a new game and replaced the lots I was working on... to have the current version of all in same hood. As I was looking around I wondered what was in the Novice Quarters' back yard... THE MAIL BOX AND TRASH CAN!

Since i have never had it do this before, so i am wondering if I place the right version of the lot... or gave you the right one... I already exited the game.. loading back up to check.

Update: It is the right version of the lot and i never moved the mail box. so no idea why unless it is they were both place with move object on. front door was also no longer set as front door.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#110 Old 8th Dec 2012 at 6:02 AM
Oh, the game does it to any placed lots, so I moved them into appropriate locations. I don't particularly care if the monastery lots are a little off (players can change them to their liking), just that they are done soon so that we can inch a little close to finishing the world!

Fair Ideas (when we get everything done):
- 4 Fairs, to create a dynamic world- to access each event, sims will need to travel to their respective locations!

- Spring Trade Fair- Mahlsberg Tournament Grounds- organized by Amrhein Hall and the Monastery
- Summer Trade Fair- Main Square in Praaven
- Fall Trade Fair- Tovar Tournament Grounds- organized by Elbenawke Hall
- Winter Frost Fair- Main Square in Praaven

The Winter Frost Fair will probably be the most spectacular, going by images like these:

Test Subject
#111 Old 8th Dec 2012 at 6:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Fair Ideas (when we get everything done):
- 4 Fairs, to create a dynamic world- to access each event, sims will need to travel to their respective locations![/IMG]

Amazing! I was really hoping there would be a way to integrate the new fairs into this landscape! They're definitely something I associate with medieval life. I CANNOT WAIT to see the finished product!
Lab Assistant
#112 Old 9th Dec 2012 at 6:49 AM
Love the idea of each region/village having its own fair!

This allows not only for each festival/market/fair to have a very different feel, as each fair will take place on different lots (well the city repeats but still), but for the festival lots to have a "regular" phase as well. Which I think will make each fair seem more exciting and real, instead of a lot cycling from on festival to the next.

I have been wondering how or if the tournament fields will accommodate racing and jumping practice and/or the horse event arena, plus seasonal fairs. Racing can be learned by just running around, but jumping has to be practiced and the lots are too small to do it at home. It takes so much space

With the the festivals rotating I can see how the horse jumps could come and go, as well as the racing polls. Not so sure about access to horse competitions. Jynx's rugs could come and go, but I am not sure about doors. Isn't the horse venue a door not a rug? I have not played around with the feature yet. So don't know what all can and can not be changed ... pretty sure walls can't be seasonal and I heard that maybe all of build mode would be off limits, but that was before seasons came out.
Test Subject
#113 Old 10th Dec 2012 at 6:26 PM
If the 1.42 patch problem is resolved I will give a shot at decorating a few houses as well, I can't wait to play in this neighborhood for real!
Lab Assistant
#114 Old 10th Dec 2012 at 7:26 PM
I've been working on populating this world and starting to play in it. Thought you guys might like some feedback.

Routing from the castle is weird. A dude on a horse couldn't route through the gate in the wall between the castle and town without being specifically directed to "go to" the watchtower lot, and then "go to" his next destination.

Also, when the castle lot is first loaded with sims in it, the sims appear standing inside the castle wall on the north side, which is a world object I believe. This doesn't faze them; they just walk out of the wall to their destination when directed. It feels weird, though. I think it may be related to the placement of the mailbox but haven't checked that out yet.

When a dude on a horse rides back from outside the town to the castle, he routes up the northern side through the watchtower gate over there, which I thought was super-neat since I hadn't noticed that gate yet. However, he then rides through the castle wall to get to his final destination. Again this may be related to the location of the mailbox. It might be solved with routing paint underneath the castle wall objects.

I also noticed that one piece of the castle wall that was next to the guard barracks seems to have disappeared. I am not sure why. I need to go back into that lot and see if I can make it re-appear or re-place it. It was just simply gone during game play at some point.

There is a very small house (on something like a 10x15 lot, has a couple of super-cute balconies) in the more upper-class section of the city which I think is really darling, but which has some serious routing issues internally due to the placement of the arches inside. I solved it by taking out all of the arches and replacing them with 1-tile doors. Before that, the sim I was controlling couldn't figure out how to get to one of the upstairs rooms beyond the spiral stair.

I'm not sure whether y'all are using the "Cellar Arch" in any of your buildings, but I will note that this arch (despite being a store item) does crash my game. I have removed it from my game after I was experiencing ongoing crashes while loading Praaven and a house with sims in it. I can't verify that the arch was causing the crashes in these instances, but I am having less crashing now.

I turned the monastery into a library lot and then noticed that every sim I wasn't playing seemed to route over there immediately. Oops. Get back to your jobs, peasants!

Sims will run everywhere in this world due to there being no roads. That makes travel pretty slow, which is cool and fine, but might make for less playability in some situations. I tried to mitigate this by adding subway rabbithole rugs to the 3 city gates and some distant destinations in Mahlsberg and elsewhere (my roleplay justification was "they are catching wagon rides"). Non-controlled sims just seemed to run to those destinations despite the rugs. Heh.

Some of the tavern lots are pretty small on the inside, which has really foiled me in trying to place Late Night bars and other objects.

Another building note I will add is (as a builder and player), I personally don't much like the use of platforms. Sims are so stupid about platforms, it seems to take them 3x as long to get to their destination if a platform is involved. The tiny farmer's huts seem to use platforms on the inside, and I get that it's atmospheric, however I am having to go in and tear the platforms out on the lots for playability issues. Another issue with some of the farmer's hut lots is that because they are built on uneven ground, it can be very problematic trying to place things like plants, or horse troughs, or haystacks. I'm trying to avoid leveling the lots on the whole, but many objects in the sims need ridiculous amounts of flat space in order to be accessible to the sims and their animals.

A note on festival lots: The way they work in Seasons is that if a lot is a festival lot, it is always a festival lot. However, a lot doesn't have to be a festival lot to have seasonally-rotating stuff on it. For example, I turned the Praaven main square into a "big park" and then added the new market carts from the Monte Vista venue, plus a gnubb game, for the summer season. (Haven't decided yet what else will go there during other seasons.) I'm not really of the opinion that the city needs more than 1 or 2 festival lots. But you guys can do what you want, it's not like players can't change it after

I really love this city and it's a ton of fun coming up with interesting sims with unique, medieval-appropriate backstories to put in it. The Duke who lives at the castle is going to be in search of a new wife to give him an heir soon (previous wife died after only giving him a girl, for shame). Perhaps he will travel to Monte Vista to get an Italian wife, or there's always France for a fallback. There will also be a noble family that's sheltering the last heir of a fallen house who is mortal enemies with the upstart Count who stole his family's stuff. And I've got a household of Guildswomen and their children; the women are all widowed and took up their husbands' crafts to support their families. Then there's a household which is a troop of acrobats / musicians / magicians...

The scenery is lovely as it is, and when I was following my dude on a horse around on his country romp, it was just perfect to watch. Thanks for all the work you're putting into this thing.
Field Researcher
#115 Old 10th Dec 2012 at 8:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ansleon
Sims will run everywhere in this world due to there being no roads. That makes travel pretty slow, which is cool and fine, but might make for less playability in some situations. I tried to mitigate this by adding subway rabbithole rugs to the 3 city gates and some distant destinations in Mahlsberg and elsewhere (my roleplay justification was "they are catching wagon rides"). Non-controlled sims just seemed to run to those destinations despite the rugs. Heh.

ansleon: your feedback was just the sort I would have given and am planning to give as I'm going to go ahead and download the new version since it does look like its working ok with the 1.42 patch.

I like to test routing, and placement issues too because those are the sorts of little things which end up causing the most playability issues for sims later when your town is full. Twallan's overwatch and error trap can catch a lot of them, but its better if the creator can eliminate as many as possible before the world is completed.

I specifically wanted to ask about your testing of alternate travel methods since this is a more realistic medieval fantasy world and does not have car travel roads. I really like that, though many players do not. However, like you, I do see the potential need for some sims to travel faster if they don't have horses, or you're not actively playing that household.

I was wondering if anyone knows for sure if sims will autonomously use the LLAMA teleporters from Supernatural or not? I've heard some say they do and others say they don't. I personally have only seen them in action a couple of times as I only briefly played Moonlight Falls.

I was considering trying to create some sort of magical teleportation system for Praaven as I intend for it to be a magical realm in final play and it will have supernatural additions. If the LLAMA phone boxes were useful, perhaps they could be a method for locals to get around in (disguised somehow so its not obviously a phone box)?

I didn't know there was a rabbit-hole rug for the subways...that's cool, but you say the townies don't use them autonomously?

I'm actually ok with my sims running everywhere. Those that live in the smaller towns outside of the main city will likely not have rabbit-hole jobs anyways in my game, and will be gardeners, fishermen, writers, repairment, alchemists and other independent jobs which won't require them running long distances to get to a rabbit hole job. If they autonomously choose to run a long ways to another town for entertainment, well that's their choice, haha.

I'm hoping some others have ideas about the travel system for Praaven or if everyone's going to just stick to foot travel and horses and not worry about it?

Also, you mentioned the cellar arch - and I have to agree, its a very buggy item from EA. It does not crash my game, but when I try to place it in a building, it leaves a huge invisible gap on one side or the other, the width of one wall tile. I don't use it because of that.

Twist of Fate - My Random Legacy Challenge
Lab Assistant
#116 Old 10th Dec 2012 at 8:47 PM
It doesn't appear that non-controlled sims will use the subway. I've never seen them do so in Bridgeport or anywhere else. As I said, they weren't doing it in Praaven with the subway rugs, either. Based on this I will assume that they won't use the LLAMA devices, since those are functionally the same as the subway; I never noticed non-controlled sims in Moonlight Falls using the LLAMA. (But I didn't play there as extensively as I've played some neighborhoods.)

The subway rugs will most likely be only of use to the sims I'm controlling at any given time. Which is fine. My only concern is: What if Farmer Joe wants to meet Milkmaid Jill at the tavern in Mahlsberg, and it takes her literally a whole day to get there because she's too simly stupid to take a faster route? I don't care what NPC sims are doing, generally, unless I need them to be interacting with my own sims at a particular location and time. That's my concern about travel.

Non-controlled sims are also not smart enough to use their horses for transportation. (I have never seen an NPC sim riding a horse.) Again, fine, unless I need them to be somewhere faster for my sims' purposes.

It's possible that the teleporter could be used as a way for sims to move across distances more quickly. Once upon a time one of my sims purchased a teleporter in Sunset Valley and didn't have room for it in the house, so it was out on the front lawn, and sims from around the neighborhood seemed to use it a lot, autonomously. Teleporters would need to be hidden somehow, because they're pretty sci-fi looking, and I'm not sure if they're accessible from buydebug on community lots (they probably are, I just haven't checked). I also don't know if they would break on community lots, thus requiring repair by the active household.

Another horse note: Wild horses will come right into the city of Praaven. I don't know whether they will tend to get stuck or not, some places in the city are pretty tight. I do use Overwatch, so that will keep them cleaned up for me if they do get stuck. (But not everyone uses Overwatch, I guess.) I have no idea what a wild horse was looking for in Praaven; maybe it came in because I had marked the square as a big park? There is also a little park. Those parks might need the "no wildlife" signs on them.
Lab Assistant
#117 Old 10th Dec 2012 at 9:38 PM
Ansleon: you said there was an arch causing difficulty in routing in a house...
Was it a particular style of arch... like this one Or aches in general?

Why I ask is that I has used this arch quite a bit in the buildings I am decorating (jje1000 is doing the building). I have not had an issue with them in those BUT
When I first went into the Brewery the sims could not route through the two already in place. Once I replaced them with the exacted same arch it was fine.

(where white arrow is)

I assumed the reason was jje1000 used CEF quite a bit in the building so if an arch was in place when the height was changed it could need repositioned to line up again. But IF it is the same arch causing the issue each time it might be something about the arch itself getting glitched.

Also the platforms: love more info on that ... the only place I used them was in the Main monastery lot, choir, High altar area of the Monastery Chapel, and the chapter house. Sims did not seem to have issues with them that I noticed. (you can test that lot if you want... there is a link farther up the thread. I will be working on it this coming week, as I need to redo it in a 1.36 version. The 1.42 version is only missing the warming room and prior's room above it. But other things might change with feedback)

On the Subway issue- At one point there was a mod for npc to use it. Don't know if it is still around and up to date.
Historically (if memory serves and it often does not ) in the 1300's walking would have been the norm ... with richer folks having horses and poorer folks having ox carts to supplement. But then this is sims, and well they are sims and sometimes need a little help, historic or not.
Lab Assistant
#118 Old 10th Dec 2012 at 9:56 PM
lowrisim: Oh yeah, definitely in the middle ages and any time up to modern times, you'd see real people mostly getting around by walking. Unfortunately, sims are much, much stupider than actual people and will always take the longest route or go somewhere that's really too far for them to realistically consider going In my own building of lots and worlds, I tend to think a lot about whether a particular building issue is going to cause sims to engage in ridiculously stupid behavior, and to try to prevent it if I can. That's my perspective here, and other people may have other priorities, which is totally cool.

The arch that causes my game to crash is titled "Cellar Arch" and is a free download from the store: Cellar Arch. I am not sure whether it's being used in any lots, but as it matches the cellar door from WA (which is used in some lots) then I assume it possibly is. It's a known issue with this arch, it just causes some people's games to crash. (I can't place it at all without crashing. I just had to stare at it longingly in my build catalog until I went ahead and removed it from my game.)

I've put sims in some lots which use the wooden arch you've pictured and it seems fine. More than likely the routing issue you were seeing was caused by the stuff that's been placed with move objects in or near the arches. In general, in building, I really try to avoid placing stuff near doorways/arches because that's pretty guaranteed to cause a route fail at some point. Sims are just too stupid for creative building measures

Platforms I tend not to use because if you watch sims try to use them, they walk up to the edge, stop, position themselves as if they are going to use stairs, then walk up the one step onto the platform, then re-position themselves again as if they just walked off of stairs. (Effectively, to the game, a platform is a stair.) So it takes the sim much longer to do anything in what is perceptually a flat area than it really should. A platform will also cause special problems for anyone attempting to interact with a toddler; just like stairs often do when a sim wants to pick a toddler up.

I think platforms in very special locations which aren't going to get much actual use (for example in a church where the items on the platform are mostly decorative, or the platform that's in the public audience room of the castle) aren't an issue. They're decorative, there, rather than getting in the way of function. I've left the platform being used as a dais in the banquet hall of the castle until I can test it and see whether it affects the usability of that room. If it does, then I will probably remove it, because if I'm going to play with the occupants then I don't want them taking 5 hours to figure out how to sit down for their meal.
Test Subject
#119 Old 10th Dec 2012 at 10:23 PM
jje1000, you might want to use it for deco purposes --> http://jennisimsunanuevaexperiencia...-3-without.html
Theorist
#120 Old 11th Dec 2012 at 12:42 AM
This section could do with a bit more smoothing.
Apart from that, lovely.

#BlairWitchPetition
Field Researcher
#121 Old 11th Dec 2012 at 1:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ansleon

Non-controlled sims are also not smart enough to use their horses for transportation. (I have never seen an NPC sim riding a horse.) Again, fine, unless I need them to be somewhere faster for my sims' purposes.

NPC / townie sims do autonomously ride horses, I can confirm this - but they won't do it as a mode of transportation to and from work or social venues. They will only do it if they own a horse and randomly queue up the 'go for ride' interaction with their horse or are a horseman by trade and then they will train / race / jump if there's a community lot for it or they have it on their home lot. This could possibly be a twallan Story Progression mod thing enabling it as well, I can't tell you for certain since I've been using his mods for a very long time and sometimes I don't know which are his SP and which are EA SP functions.

Does anyone know of a mod that might force sims to ride horses (if they own one) instead of walk? That is just the sort of mod this world needs.

Scholar
#122 Old 11th Dec 2012 at 2:25 AM Last edited by kattenijin : 11th Dec 2012 at 7:44 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by lowrisim
On the Subway issue- At one point there was a mod for npc to use it. Don't know if it is still around and up to date.

It's in this thread at Snooty Sims: http://www.snootysims.com/forums/vi...hp?f=46&t=32581

Don't know if it needs updating or not, give me a bit of time and I'll test it out.

EDIT: Needs to be updated.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#123 Old 11th Dec 2012 at 4:46 AM
Some very good feedback, what I was looking for from the start! Thanks guys

Quote:
Also, when the castle lot is first loaded with sims in it, the sims appear standing inside the castle wall on the north side, which is a world object I believe. This doesn't faze them; they just walk out of the wall to their destination when directed. It feels weird, though. I think it may be related to the placement of the mailbox but haven't checked that out yet.

The side of the lot and the door set as the front may also have an effect on this, alonside the mailbox placement as you mentioned.

Quote:
When a dude on a horse rides back from outside the town to the castle, he routes up the northern side through the watchtower gate over there, which I thought was super-neat since I hadn't noticed that gate yet. However, he then rides through the castle wall to get to his final destination. Again this may be related to the location of the mailbox. It might be solved with routing paint underneath the castle wall objects.

Ah, the issue with sims routing through walls. Routing on lots overrides the routing paint; I've typically used small walls to block off the lots, but the job isn't done yet. In reality, the towers and castle have been a mess since I moved the city, but since it's a fairly tedious process, I've been putting off fixing them ever since! This issue will likely be resolved in time.

Quote:
I also noticed that one piece of the castle wall that was next to the guard barracks seems to have disappeared. I am not sure why. I need to go back into that lot and see if I can make it re-appear or re-place it. It was just simply gone during game play at some point.

Occasionally, objects on lots will disappear, in which case you need to see the lot in high detail again in order to reload the object. More importantly (or unfortunately), walls can be selected with the build mode hand tool on lots, and permanently deleted!

Quote:
There is a very small house (on something like a 10x15 lot, has a couple of super-cute balconies) in the more upper-class section of the city which I think is really darling, but which has some serious routing issues internally due to the placement of the arches inside. I solved it by taking out all of the arches and replacing them with 1-tile doors. Before that, the sim I was controlling couldn't figure out how to get to one of the upstairs rooms beyond the spiral stair.

I will look into this. If routing continues to be an issue, the arches will be removed.

Quote:
I'm not sure whether y'all are using the "Cellar Arch" in any of your buildings, but I will note that this arch (despite being a store item) does crash my game.

The cellar arch is not used anywhere in this world. I have no idea how it showed up in your game. For now, leaving it alone and not looking at it the wrong way will stop crashing.

Quote:
Sims will run everywhere in this world due to there being no roads. That makes travel pretty slow, which is cool and fine, but might make for less playability in some situations. I tried to mitigate this by adding subway rabbithole rugs to the 3 city gates and some distant destinations in Mahlsberg and elsewhere (my roleplay justification was "they are catching wagon rides").

A subway rug in the docks + one in Lughaven could do as a ferry to the farthest parts; one beside the monastery + one in the marshes near Tovar could also supplement those. I still want a number of sims to travel through the landscape instead of disappearing and appearing from rabbitholes, which can make the world feel fairly empty.

Quote:
Some of the tavern lots are pretty small on the inside, which has really foiled me in trying to place Late Night bars and other objects.

Certainly an issue, especially with taverns in Praaven. Some lots will need to be adjusted or rebuilt, since they were all initally rough test massing.

Quote:
Another building note I will add is (as a builder and player), I personally don't much like the use of platforms. Sims are so stupid about platforms, it seems to take them 3x as long to get to their destination if a platform is involved. The tiny farmer's huts seem to use platforms on the inside, and I get that it's atmospheric, however I am having to go in and tear the platforms out on the lots for playability issues.

I think platforms are largely prevalent in peasant's houses, I'll take a look at alternatives (if you have some ideas, please tell).

Quote:
Another issue with some of the farmer's hut lots is that because they are built on uneven ground, it can be very problematic trying to place things like plants, or horse troughs, or haystacks.

This is certainly an issue that needs addressing; rural lots in hilly areas will need a large area of flat land for horses and the like.

Quote:
A note on festival lots: The way they work in Seasons is that if a lot is a festival lot, it is always a festival lot. However, a lot doesn't have to be a festival lot to have seasonally-rotating stuff on it.

Note taken Festival lots are a far away thing, the current goal would be to finish the city at a Pets-level.

Quote:
It's possible that the teleporter could be used as a way for sims to move across distances more quickly. Once upon a time one of my sims purchased a teleporter in Sunset Valley and didn't have room for it in the house, so it was out on the front lawn, and sims from around the neighborhood seemed to use it a lot, autonomously.

It also depends on how large the draw radius of a teleporter is- if country sims are routing to the city to teleport to another part of the countryside, then the teleporter will be of little use.

Quote:
Another horse note: Wild horses will come right into the city of Praaven. I don't know whether they will tend to get stuck or not, some places in the city are pretty tight. I do use Overwatch, so that will keep them cleaned up for me if they do get stuck. (But not everyone uses Overwatch, I guess.) I have no idea what a wild horse was looking for in Praaven; maybe it came in because I had marked the square as a big park? There is also a little park. Those parks might need the "no wildlife" signs on them.

A good point, all lots in the city and the docks should have these no-wildlife gnomes. Stray cats and dogs are still welcome!

Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
This section could do with a bit more smoothing.
Apart from that, lovely.

The raised portions are to hide the ends of the bridge; I can certain try to raise the entire end up and smooth it out.

Thanks for the feedback!
Field Researcher
#124 Old 11th Dec 2012 at 8:59 PM
I have downloaded the latest version of your CC, but which is the correct version for playtesting the world? I am downloading it today to start another run through (I still have the older one installed). I need whichever version is reportedly working well for testing with 1.42 patch. If you have a version that's working, could you update your link on the first page as well? It still says you must use 1.36.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to testing the latest model before you get close to releasing it. I am mainly interested in testing pathing on roads and countryside with horses as well as inside buildings for sims.

I also agree some of the taverns need expanded a bit (from the older version) to accomodate bars if you intend to release those with the final version.

Lab Assistant
#125 Old 12th Dec 2012 at 1:53 AM Last edited by lowrisim : 12th Dec 2012 at 1:55 AM. Reason: spelling as usual
Working on my lots I have noticed that horses can NOT graze on most the the terrain paints. I have not notice in the past if horses can only graze on lots, but even some of the very nice green custom and not custom lot paints horses can not graze on.

I see this as a possible advantage, as it might be used to target where horse go to graze and exercise.

Perhaps you would consider a grazing common in each village? with pasture terrain paint so horses can graze. Since the monastery is the area I have been playing I only have suggestion for it at this point.

1. Behind the abbots manor. ( I tried adding a lot here myself and it would not let me saying unroutable)

and or
2. Across from the brewery.( Here I can add a lot myself if need be)

Also I found that, sims, not going to the brewery prefer not to route through this lot but but instead go through the fence where the arrow is.

My suggestion would be to take out a section of the fence and extending the road to connect up. I understand you logic in the existing layout.. however the sims do not :D

These lots would NOT need anything built on them, at least in my opinion. Maybe small pond added for drinking. They might work best if set to horse ranch? That would need testing... I have a big problem with horses exercise need, I thinking this might help that too. I think wild horses tend to hang out at Large parks... so that might work even better.
Page 5 of 23