Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#26 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 10:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Has the theme been published yet, for I can't seem to find it? And it is not a competition, @gazania - monthly themes are not judged or anything, it does, however, motivate creators to create something.

It has not - I know it's coming though because I've seen the thread.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 10:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMelissa
Ganzia, thank you for the list of things you all learned. It will be a great reference post for newbies like me.

I am a TERRIBLE builder. Seriously, I am a *gag that is soooo boring* type of builder. Admittedly, watching you all build such beautiful, creative and elaborate structures was really intimidating. But it also spurred me into wanting to learn how to do better with my own homes. I'd better learn quick, 'cause pretty soon my Sims are going to get tired of sleeping in a lean-to or tent, or on a log, hammock or cot under the stars and are gonna start wishing they had walls and a roof.

I used to be the same. But I discovered that when I tried my hand at real life houseplans I started learning some tricks. So try the apartment or house you currently live in, try to make it exactly the same or as close as you can get, even down to the decor and furniture. Then play test and adjust so the routing still works for your sims.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Mad Poster
#28 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 10:49 AM
Some favorite houseplan sites I like and others do as well (I found out about two of these from others):

https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/
http://www.eplans.com/
https://www.houseplans.com/

There are also other sources for retro and older houses.

Grab an easy plan at first. Don't get too ambitious. To be honest, some of the more-complicated plans may be too tricky for many builders. What is nice about these three sites is that you can specify some of the details you like.

Realize that one square in the game is roughly three feet in real life. Don't be afraid to adapt for your needs. This is just a rough guide. Personally, I do not aspire to make an exact copy of any house. I freely re-arrange rooms and exterior details to get what I want. A house plan is just inspiration and a basic, changeable outline to me.

Realize too that many house plans ARE on the boxy side. However, almost none of them are the four equal rectangles in one large rectangle style that is touted as THE worst example of a boxy house.

Oh, and one tip I learned the hard way. If you want a residential building in Uni, I would create it in a test main hood first. It is difficult to use a Uni-created house in a main hood, but you can do it the other way without a huge hassle.

Have fun! Get messy! Make mistakes!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 11:48 AM
Another fun way to build is to place down the furniture of a room and then build walls around it - and build room for room It can lead to interesting lots.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#30 Old 2nd Aug 2017 at 4:39 AM
The theme is up Last time we did it, the new creators for the month truncated its lead time in the latest news category so I waited til AFTER new creators for July came out to post it. We had it ready to go, then I got up early this morning to get it in. You could build a babies r us type store? Gazania as a suggestion for a lot that would fit it I mean.
Forum Resident
#31 Old 2nd Aug 2017 at 7:02 AM
These are great ideas! I could try building my home, but it would be a boxy house--cause that's what mine is! LOL
@Justpetro, the idea to lay down the furniture and build around it is brilliant. It would save me from my ritual that includes building, tearing down, moving everything over a square, building, tearing down, saying, "Oh, the heck with it. This is how it's gonna stay."

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Mad Poster
#32 Old 2nd Aug 2017 at 11:13 AM
There are many players using the idea I like it because I can work out the space needed around stuff before putting up the walls.

@gazania - you get a sticker for participating in the monthly themes. I'd love to, but at the moment I am a bit busy, yet perhaps I will think of building a thing.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 4th Aug 2017 at 5:47 PM Last edited by gazania : 4th Aug 2017 at 6:02 PM.
And I think you have! Good luck on the store!

A part of me would like to give it a shot, even with life still being a pain in the butt and even though my submission will probably be rejected. I already know from the contest here there are things that the mods and even many MTS members like in a building that I sometimes soft-peddle. A few of my priorities with a lot are different. But it might be fun to pretend I'm a play-along and NOT an uploader .... to make a lot but not be so concerned as to whether it's going on MTS or not. Just relax! If something good comes of this, great. If not, maybe I'll learn some more things.

And yes ... I am 100% pleased with the Orb. Chris, wherever you are, I could hug you! Combine it with the almost-completely effective ways to package a lot, and even I, the picker of nits, would agree that the lot is as clean as it can possibly be.

I have a lot idea in mind. I found a few building plans I can choose for a rough template. (That is how I work. This also enables me to see if my ideas would actually be structurally sound and practical in the first place.) I would need some CC items and mods, but my challenge would be to have no more than six; preferably fewer, and the uploader can easily substitute something else. But as always, can I execute the idea? Looking back with a more-relaxed gaze, my Art Center actually did most of what I wanted (except that privacy part ... boy, those judges have eagle eyes! I was kind of hoping no one would notice that .... ) Maybe this lot, too?

Or not. I think it quite obvious that I'm really on the fence about this!

Mad Poster
#34 Old 4th Aug 2017 at 6:23 PM
I actually don't have a shop selling baby and toddler stuff in my hood, so I can use it very well I am going for no cc, or perhaps just walls; not all cc work in a shop.

As for you; I am pretty sure not all things some people like will have to be present on all lots. Besides, we know how you can build now.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 4th Aug 2017 at 6:32 PM
My Rhodes house is up, if anybody wants it. By happy coincidence the moderator was Jo.

And I see Goldenbutterfly had the great idea to build an application house for each family, and the first of these - for the Newmans - is also up!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#36 Old 4th Aug 2017 at 7:03 PM
Downloaded already, thank you, Peni I also know that it will be playable, which is a huge plus for me!
Mad Poster
#37 Old 4th Aug 2017 at 8:49 PM
Cool! It's so nice to see people's entries up there!

Well, my first effort for this theme didn't come out quite as swimmingly as I hoped. It sounded great in theory, but it's kind of "meh" in execution. I mean, it works, but that's about it. Unless I put more than six pieces of CC in there (many more), it's going to be pretty "blah" as is. I have a second idea, but I'm not sure it's going to be much better.

No-CC is hard. Six pieces of CC only isn't much easier. I certainly found that out with the Art Center!

I did find that toddlers can't climb a one- or two-step foundation.

Razzem-frazzem. Should have worked on the dance studio earlier!

Top Secret Researcher
#38 Old 4th Aug 2017 at 9:04 PM
Oh thanks for mentioning the homes, Peni. I should have totally come here and said so earlier since it is related to the contest. Not including the Walters, I have already done Elliott, Evans, Lambert and now Newman on the application foundation and a 25k budget, in case anyone wants to use them/check them out for their families. The Lambert house actually works really well for the Newson kids, they did some good testing for me. It's a fun project, though! The Goodies will likely test the Rhodes home, as I can see them being a bit artsy and hippy-ish.

gazania, thanks for the houseplan site links. I'm collecting those now for when the foundation projects are done.
Mad Poster
#39 Old 4th Aug 2017 at 9:09 PM
And the houses are very pretty, @Goldenbtrfly
Top Secret Researcher
#40 Old 4th Aug 2017 at 9:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
And the houses are very pretty, @Goldenbtrfly

Thank you very much, you are too kind.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 17th Aug 2017 at 4:18 AM
So, today I was informed that I uploaded the Walters house instead of the Rhodes house! Anyone who has downloaded it and not installed it yet, please go redownload.
Anyone who has downloaded and installed it, why didn't you tell me!?
The Walters is called 1 Inland Lane, the Rhodes is 7 Inland Lane. I've been sleep-deprived for months and misread the number repeatedly, apparently. So sorry.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#42 Old 17th Aug 2017 at 8:37 AM
Oops!
I installed a number of contest lots - when I could not find the Rhodes house, I thought I must have skipped installing it; and have not been back to that yet. (Quite happy with having the Walters house too, by the way )
Top Secret Researcher
#43 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 7:03 PM
For anyone still playing the families, I have all my versions of "application homes" done and am starting to upload the Round 2 foundation homes, starting with Elliott (Evans is already posted) and all under the contest rules of 35k. Just popping this here if anyone needs any extra homes for whatever reason. They're not spectacular by any means, but they're cozy and I like them. :lovestruc
Mad Poster
#44 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 10:45 PM
Well done, can't wait to download all of them
Page 2 of 2