Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jul 2017 at 10:55 PM
Default EA Getting Desperate
So I fired up my game for the first time in a month or so yesterday (naturally I went into it just to mess around in CAS and then quit, as per usual) and I noticed this on the screen:

Basically, pretty much all the packs have dropped in price. Is this a sale, or is EA running out of ideas on how to swindle the fanbase out of its money?

I'm honestly done with all the bullshit this game has brought. Just give me The Sims 5 already (loljk they probably fucked it up)
Screenshots

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 18th Jul 2017 at 11:02 PM
It was a sale that ended yesterday
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=597384
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Jul 2017 at 11:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
It was a sale that ended yesterdayhttp://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=597384

Ah, thank you. I've been somewhat out of the loop because I rarely start my game up and play these days. I still find it amusing how much everything in general has dropped in price since release. I still stand by what I said about EA being desperate.

My Claim to Fame
Scholar
#4 Old 18th Jul 2017 at 11:52 PM Last edited by aeval99 : 19th Jul 2017 at 12:04 AM.
That's generally how video games work. When they come out they are 60 bucks. A year later you can buy them for $29.99 in a sale. The year after that, they are labeled as "classics" and you can buy them in the bargain bin for about the same as lunch at McDonalds. PC games don't tend to depreciate as quickly as console games (since there's no trade-in market)) but Sims 4 still selling for more than 30 dollars at this point is a little unusual, and probably only due to the constant updates and new packs.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 12:26 AM
Alright, I started to dislike an exaggerated post like:
- EA having sales = EA getting desperate
- EA ask for feedback = EA doesn't know how its gonna be implemented

I know EA is the worst company, but I hate when someone always has negative thinking on what EA had done like the other companies
Mad Poster
#6 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 2:30 AM
You say it as of those are the only two things EA actually does. Maybe people have negative things to say because *gaap* EA gives them reasons to.

It's no so much that they're having sales, but how they're going about promoting them. Everyone's knows that part of the UI is geared towards getting the player to big content. It was already suspicious before, but he sale tag makes them looks very greedy.

I'm the same breath, asking for feedback when they haven't shaken to have a very solid grasp of their own product makes them looks incompetent (like asking about cars in any capacity).

Don't always take comments at face values; Context always matters.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 3:59 AM
I'm aware that sales are normal for games, but like matrix said, the way they promote them makes them seem desperate. The first thing you see when you start up the game is a visual screaming "LOOK AT ALL THE GAMES YOU STILL DON'T OWN!!! LOOK, THEY'RE 20 - 25% OFF!!! DO YOU WANT IT YET??"

My Claim to Fame
Field Researcher
#8 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 4:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Averex
I'm aware that sales are normal for games, but like matrix said, the way they promote them makes them seem desperate. The first thing you see when you start up the game is a visual screaming "LOOK AT ALL THE GAMES YOU STILL DON'T OWN!!! LOOK, THEY'RE 20 - 25% OFF!!! DO YOU WANT IT YET??"

Did you ever think that some people are looking for sales and would like to know when the sales happen. Not everybody thinks that its desperate. Most company put ads out all the time when produces are on sale EA doesn't look any worse that any other gaming company does. Just my 2cents.
Theorist
#9 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 4:57 AM
Weird that they don't tell you what ones you already have are on sale. I imagine we all have that one friend who's like, "tell me when XX goes on sale and I'll grab it, I'm too bored to play."
They do seem to have set this up like the cash register impulse purchases.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 5:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
Weird that they don't tell you what ones you already have are on sale. I imagine we all have that one friend who's like, "tell me when XX goes on sale and I'll grab it, I'm too bored to play."

Bingo. The in game ads are targeting what you don't already own, hoping the "xx% off" banner gets you to impulse buy it. The discounted pricing is shown on purchased packs on the Origin Store in addition to unowned ones.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 10:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge

That or don't wanna aggravate fans for knowing that purchase on the overpriced before the sale came, lol. Though your scenario was likely to happen.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 11:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bur1440
Did you ever think that some people are looking for sales and would like to know when the sales happen. Not everybody thinks that its desperate. Most company put ads out all the time when produces are on sale EA doesn't look any worse that any other gaming company does. Just my 2cents.

That's also 100% okay. Normally, it's okay to have a section of the screen allocated for sales information. "This has been released," "This is on sale," "Coming soon, and this is the asking price" - all of that is 100% okay. Considering the game is expansion heavy, it'd be stupid of EA not to have that information on screen somewhere at start up. The problem here is that about half of the screen is asking you to buy something.

The same thing happened in TS3 - every corner of CAS and Build/Buy was a sales platform. You open the launcher - "EXPANSION PACKS AND STORE PACKS FOR SALE!" You launch the game - "WORLDS FOR SALE!" You load the game - "A GAME WITH EXPANSION PACKS YOU DON'T OWN!" You open up CAS - "CLOTHING AND HAIR FOR SALE!" - You open build/buy mode "ITEMS FOR SALE!" You can even go to the store directly from the game and download new stuff, and at the time time, you can't even add custom content into the game directly. I'm almost surprised the in game billboards, which are everywhere, didn't start showcasing store sets. Imagine reading the newspaper in game and seeing a window pop up asking you to buy stuff...

The example the OP posted above is called a slippery slope. They're going to ease players into seeing nothing but things to buy.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Theorist
#13 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 1:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
The same thing happened in TS3 - every corner of CAS and Build/Buy was a sales platform. You open the launcher - "EXPANSION PACKS AND STORE PACKS FOR SALE!" You launch the game - "WORLDS FOR SALE!" You load the game - "A GAME WITH EXPANSION PACKS YOU DON'T OWN!" You open up CAS - "CLOTHING AND HAIR FOR SALE!" - You open build/buy mode "ITEMS FOR SALE!" You can even go to the store directly from the game and download new stuff, and at the time time, you can't even add custom content into the game directly. I'm almost surprised the in game billboards, which are everywhere, didn't start showcasing store sets. Imagine reading the newspaper in game and seeing a window pop up asking you to buy stuff...

At least all that annoying TS3 store stuff literally had an off switch.