Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Nov 2016 at 2:06 PM
Default The first ever custom content/mod?
Hey y'all!

I know this is probally will be impossible to answer, but do any of you guys know what the first custom content was? It can be any type of mod, I'm just looking for the first or one of the oldest ones
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 12th Nov 2016 at 6:00 PM
No idea. However, I can recall a couple of my favourite mods from the past, including this handy fireworks object (that burns up stuff indoors):

And this teleporter (although it was in a gold colour, rather than silver):

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 12th Nov 2016 at 10:42 PM
I'm pretty sure the fireworks were a Maxis object.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Nov 2016 at 12:27 AM Last edited by HarVee : 25th May 2018 at 10:17 PM.
The Fireworks are a Maxis item included in Livin' Large.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Scholar
#5 Old 13th Nov 2016 at 12:51 AM
Oh didn't know that. I never had Livin' Large, thought it was custom content.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Test Subject
#6 Old 25th May 2018 at 4:43 AM
Please forgive the thread-delving - I remember those days!

People started making custom content and modding almost immediately. Carrot was an early customizer, starting with recolors. Spanki had a few interesting skins and heads, and was the person who came up with BodyWarp (the first, primitive mesh-modifying program for The Sims) - its original purpose was to resize heads in Face Lift that came out too big or too small, but it also allowed tweaking of bodies and body parts. (The very first Sims Scotsman ever was made using BodyWarp, by another early modder calling herself Slink.) The one who really dug under the hood and figured out how to do practically anything with meshes - and wrote a tutorial which I understand is still available - was Aladrin Kelahn.

Some early clothes-makers discovered with considerable annoyance that some of their best content had been appropriated by Maxis and put on a disk that came with, IIRC, Livin' Large - but without crediting them. (Bad Maxis!)
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 25th May 2018 at 9:59 PM
Don't tell me! The 'Deluxe' content was appropiated from modders? I knew that some european company had made just that, but didn't expect it from Maxis!

Returning to the topic at hand, what more do you know about the early CC? Was the official web very active? I find it truly interesting!
Test Subject
#8 Old 26th May 2018 at 12:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ed95
what more do you know about the early CC? Was the official web very active? I find it truly interesting!

The official site was very active, and the unofficial sites even more so. You could hardly open your browser without finding a new Sims 1 site. Some of the best (and not-so-best) got started early and stayed for a long time: TSR of course, SimFreaks, Livin-it-up, Well-Dressed Sim, etc. Others came and went, and occasionally a freelance simmer would join up with one of the established sites (Squeegee, who made some very nice military and uniformed skins, joined SimFreaks and contributed there until he lost interest in the game).

The original teleporter was modded from the Maxis shower stall, which was rather an odd thing to put outside the house, so it wasn't long before people came up with better-looking alternatives.

I hope that CTO can be revived, as it was an excellent resource for Sims 1 content old and new (I contributed some of my collected oldies, and made a few new skins for them).
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 26th May 2018 at 11:55 PM
Ohhh I see. I also miss CTO, I found loads of things that I could have never had thanks to them. Pity they're offline now :-(
I see. I can provide a Spanish-speaking perspective on the topic, as I joined a Spanish/Latino forum around the time of The Sims 2. Equally, back then I remember a few Spanish (and Latino) sites with quality content and quite a little, but very active, community. Apparently The Sims hit it quite hard in my languaje XD.
Unfortunately, as far as I know, nowadays there aren't too many Spanish sites out there, be it around TS1 or any game in the series, really.

Didn't know about the teleporter! Using the shower 'mesh' is quite an obvious idea but a... strange one, you say it.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 27th May 2018 at 4:04 AM
I don't know about the oldest CC but this is one of the oldest sites,MTS plus http://www.simlogical.com/index.htm is old to.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158