Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jul 2008 at 9:08 PM
Default Warning about modding with Sims 2 Store Edition Installed!
I recently decided to try out the Sims 2 Store Edition. For those of you who do not know the store edition is only available online and i believe it is only available for US or Canadian residents. It is just basically a stuff pack. It allows you to download 6 objects for free and then you have to pay to download anything else. I decided to try it to get the 6 free objects, but they weren't that great anyway. You can find much better stuff for free here.

Anyway while I had the Store Edition installed I created a couple of objects. The one I created and uploaded. People who did not have the store edition were having problems with their game crashing due to my object. I uninstalled the store edition and had the same problem with my game crashing due to my created object. Once I recreated the object without the store edition installed and ran it in Free Time it worked fine.

I'm not sure exactly what happened, but somehow the Store edition was messing up SimPE and objects would not work without the Store Edition installed. There is no option in SimPE that I know of to turn off the Store Edition stuff.

Just wanted to warn anyone who was thinking of trying out the store edition that anything you make with it installed might not work.
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 17th Jul 2008 at 9:31 PM
Yes, SimPE has not been updated for Store Edition, so caution is advised. And if European people can't use it, then SimPE is unlikely to be successfully updated for it, as all SimPE developers live in Europe. Store Edition has received a huge thumbs-down from me.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#3 Old 19th Jul 2008 at 1:58 PM
It sounds like another way for maxis to make money. That's all. Total crap.

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 19th Jul 2008 at 2:55 PM
I don't begrudge them making money - they're a business. But I get fed up that they didn't put the framework for all their development in place from the start, so that modding tools and mods didn't keep having to be redesigned to prevent them breaking the game.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 2:05 PM
yeah, I understand they're supposed to make money, but this seems to be taking it a little too far. I mean, this IS the best selling computer game of all time (they beat the sims 1), not like they really need to make money that desperately. But, anyway, no i'm not miffed they're making money, I'm miffed the WAY they're making money.

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Test Subject
#6 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 7:21 PM
Well I hate the fact that they're now forcing people to download objects "one at a time" If you think about it. It would probably cost a LOT more money to download all of the objects that come in a stuff pack, rather than if you went out and just bought it.
I really don't understand why they're doing this, other than seeing them as being greedy for money. They have the "exchange" on The Sims 2 site, in which there are some nice objects, yet it seems that they still seem to try to force people to buy stuff. Obviously if they can post up free items, then the Sims 2 Store is nothing but a complete joke.
I really wish that they would stop looking at sites like Peggy sims or any other "donation" sites, and look more at sites like MTS2, or any other good free site like that. I think it's ok to ask for donations, but if someone has to pay to get "free" content, then it's never really free.
And with all of the securom crap, it's not a wonder that Sims 2 is suddenly becoming more of a hassle and just a pain to play at times.
I can't say I'm proud of it, but I downloaded a couple of the Sims 2 packs, because it didn't seem worth it to pay when I knew I wasn't going to use half the stuff in it, and when there really wasn't that many new objects in it to begin with. I'm between jobs and going back to college, so I try save money on every turn. I'll probably end up buying all the stuff packs down the road anyways.
A lot of people who "hack" the games, usually just do it because it's more convenient to run them without cd's. I think what EA should focus on, is putting out their own versions of "no-cd hacks" that come with their game. If they can manage to use securom in normal games, then why not just do it without the cd? I'm sure it can be done.
But all in all, that's my little rant. I love EA for the games they give us, and I'm starting to very much dislike them for the money hungry pigs they're turning out to be.

--(:-0) THE MONKEYS ARE BACK!! Quick, grab the super ultra-super evaporating cosmic blasting plasma laser beam ultra fine configured supercalafragalisticexpialadotious weapons of choice and start firing before they get to the underwear drawer!! (:-0)--
Test Subject
#7 Old 2nd Aug 2008 at 12:42 AM
well chimodo, no-cd cracks are not likely to be made by any manufacturing company because they break their copyright check. The reason the game checks for the CD is because it finds a particular file on that CD which (if found) gives the game the "OK" to run.

This is implemented so that you cannot install TS2 on ur computer, and then install it on a friend's computer. With a no-cd crack, you both could play at the same time;but with the current system, only one of you can play at a time (whoever has the CD).

instead of a no-crack exe that could contain a virus, you could copy all the files from the play disc to your desktop. from there, copy one file at a time to a CD-RW but testing the CD with between each and every one to see if it launches the game. When you find the file the game looks for, burn it onto mini CD-Rs to create cheap little play discs.

With that method, if you find the file that any other games look for, you can even put those on that CD as well if there is space and instantly create yourself a multi-game CD!
Scholar
#8 Old 2nd Aug 2008 at 7:01 PM
Warning ! Maybe not the good place to discuss that subject. Or the wrong subject for this good place...

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#9 Old 2nd Aug 2008 at 7:21 PM
No discussion of no-CD cracks or any other method to circumvent using the disk to run the game, please. It is a violation of site rules to discuss that stuff here.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#10 Old 12th Aug 2008 at 6:29 PM
you can actually download most of the sims games via ea.com obviously you have to pay for them, and they're not as cheap as what they sell for in the shops, however, there is no inconvenience of having to run a cd each and everytime. all you need is to install ea download manager(which it downloads for you(first purchase)). i think you get like a year or so, to re download, just incase you have to reinstall.

ive used this for most of my expansion packs now, and the best part is i can download them as soon as a new expansion pack comes out!! no more having to find time to go to my local games store! i can do it all from the comfort(or not so comfy) computer chair!

so stop doing naughty things! if running a cd is really that much of a problem...do this instead can't help on the money situatuation though!
Test Subject
#11 Old 12th Aug 2008 at 6:44 PM
as for the store edition...well! i thought id download it... just to see if it was any good! but now i'm regretting that! as it was downloading it came back with an error, so i thought...nah can't be botherd, so just left it..but now each and everytime i turn on my comp, it comes up with an auto installer!!! i thought it must have downloaded, so once again i thought i'd give it a try. but it wont install (probably because of the incomplete download). once again i cancelled it, but now i can't get rid of it! it's really annoying me! i've searched my computer high and low, but i can't find it! and i really dont want to uninstall ea download manager(which i assume it is linked to, by looking at the sims 2 site) cause thats where i have loads of sims expansion packs downloaded to, and i don't want to loose them!

so yeah i'm a little peeved at ea! they have a fab game, but it isn't half messy! ive bought most of the games twice! cause my old computer wouldn't install after reinstalling, and ea advised me to repurchase..however this did not fix the problem.. so me being a little sad, went out and spent loads on a new computer. But that is another story so i won't bore you.... i just hope i can fix this auto installer problem, cause it's rather annoying!
Instructor
#12 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 12:25 PM
There is another option that EA have failed to explore, along with all the Game Manufacturers...

They could implement a system, where the user has the option of, if they Internet, to 'verify' their game installation/Product key, and have a small file generated for them to download and add to their game files, so that the game will run minus the CD/DVD. It could easily be 'coded' to the unique hardware ID for the machine, which changes each time the OS is installed.

TGTSoft used a similar method for their skinning programs for windows XP.

This would also mean that the online versions of the games don't need to be changed, they can be identical to the versions bought from stores. This would eliminate the issues described in the opening post.

FifthAce2007

My Sims 2 creations are no longer supported. Regardless of what the individual post says, feel free to clone, recolour, chuck on a bonfire or mix in a blender! Just credit me/this site with the upload, and upload here only, thanks
Test Subject
#13 Old 17th Aug 2008 at 4:46 PM
I stumbled across the Sims 2 Store Edition and unwittingly installed the software (I'm still kicking myself in the head!). I was attempting to modify a Maxis mesh by extracting it through SimPE. The bone assignments were all screwy! I also get a warning every time I open SimPE now. After reading this thread, it appears as though the update for the Sims 2 Store Edition will not be coming out any time soon.

My question is would installing another expansion pack or stuff pack snap SimPE back to normal? Or do I have to uninstall the Sims 2 Store Edition to make everything happy again?

Thanks for any assistance.

<<o~~ GS
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 18th Aug 2008 at 8:46 PM
I just uninstalled the Store edition and the Maxis downloader thing and my stuff works fine again. You just won't be able to use any of the stuff that you got from the store.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. ~Jennifer Yane
Test Subject
#15 Old 19th Aug 2008 at 8:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. I failed to backup my files before installing the Sims 2 Store Edition, however. I'll see what I can salvage before de-installation.

Thanks again.

GS
Test Subject
#16 Old 25th Oct 2008 at 12:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by princessJessica
as for the store edition...well! i thought id download it... just to see if it was any good! but now i'm regretting that! as it was downloading it came back with an error, so i thought...nah can't be botherd, so just left it..but now each and everytime i turn on my comp, it comes up with an auto installer!!! i thought it must have downloaded, so once again i thought i'd give it a try. but it wont install (probably because of the incomplete download). once again i cancelled it, but now i can't get rid of it! it's really annoying me! i've searched my computer high and low, but i can't find it! and i really dont want to uninstall ea download manager(which i assume it is linked to, by looking at the sims 2 site) cause thats where i have loads of sims expansion packs downloaded to, and i don't want to loose them!

I am having this same problem. I signed up to get the free downloads then all of a sudden it started to "install Sims 2 Store Edition". It advised me to quit the installation and back up my Sims 2 game before continuing. I wasn't expecting an EP-style download, just thought I was registering to download the individual items from the website. Well, I cancelled the installation and went on about my business playing my Sims regularly. Now, I have it coming up every time I start up my computer wanting to install Sims 2 Store Edition.

The funny thing is, I was able to go to the website just fine and download the free items (lame as they were). I don't even think you need this "Sims 2 Store Edition" thing to be installed to download the items.

I thought the Sims 2 Store was a website with items on it, not a program for my computer.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 26th Oct 2008 at 7:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lucky_d
I am having this same problem. I signed up to get the free downloads then all of a sudden it started to "install Sims 2 Store Edition". It advised me to quit the installation and back up my Sims 2 game before continuing. I wasn't expecting an EP-style download, just thought I was registering to download the individual items from the website. Well, I cancelled the installation and went on about my business playing my Sims regularly. Now, I have it coming up every time I start up my computer wanting to install Sims 2 Store Edition.

The funny thing is, I was able to go to the website just fine and download the free items (lame as they were). I don't even think you need this "Sims 2 Store Edition" thing to be installed to download the items.

I thought the Sims 2 Store was a website with items on it, not a program for my computer.

Yeah, they promise you free stuff, but there are strings attached. The free stuff I downloaded wouldn't show up for me without the Store edition installed. Like I said in my original post, you can find much better stuff here and it is always free. You want more than the free items on there and you have to pay for them. I had nothing but problems with it installed too.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. ~Jennifer Yane
The ModFather
retired moderator
#18 Old 26th Oct 2008 at 11:05 PM
Charisa (and everyone interested), about the SE objects that are not visible any more when uninstalling SE, I think that just installing SE you gained the right to download and use the free objects; therefore, for personal use, you can open the object with SimPE, select the OBJD, and set both the "Valid EP Flags" to zero, thus removing the requirement for SE.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 1st Nov 2008 at 2:03 AM
Interesting. I had never thought of that. I didn't think any of them were that great anyway, so for me it's not really worth the hassle of reinstalling it to get them again.

Test Subject
#20 Old 8th Nov 2008 at 3:11 AM
okay. so i have the same problem. but i uninstalled and removed the sims2 store edition and everything dealing wiht it from my start list. Yet it says i need the sims2 store...[ect] to play. And im fustrated!.Grrr. [x
But yeah. Does anyone know how i can fix this crap?! :O
The ModFather
retired moderator
#21 Old 8th Nov 2008 at 5:54 PM
If you are a little experienced with the Windows registry, you should check if you still have the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/EA Games/The Sims 2 SE

If you still have it, delete it.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#22 Old 8th Nov 2008 at 8:46 PM
but even then, i looked up all those things on my pc, and yet it still says that o need to play the sims2 store edition instead.
does anyone know what the rodlem might be?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#23 Old 8th Nov 2008 at 11:08 PM
It seems like it was not uninstalled correctly (also because you said that you have manually removed references to Store Edition from the Start menu: if the Store Edition would have been correctly uninstalled, then all the references in the Start Menu should have been deleted automatically...).

Perhaps you should install it again, and then remove it again.

Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#24 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 12:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charisa1114
Anyway while I had the Store Edition installed I created a couple of objects. The one I created and uploaded. People who did not have the store edition were having problems with their game crashing due to my object. I uninstalled the store edition and had the same problem with my game crashing due to my created object. Once I recreated the object without the store edition installed and ran it in Free Time it worked fine.
I strongly suspect this is caused more by incompatible OBJD/TTAB formats than it is by the Store Edition itself. If you run a game version newer than Store Edition, it should not crash. However, if the Store Edition enables the 0x8D OBJD format, and you are using 0x8Ds, older games will fall down and go boom.

Verify that you are not using an 0x8D OBJD version or 0x5X TTABs in pre-Pets games.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Test Subject
#25 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 12:34 AM
I have had nothing but problems with the Sims Store since I downloaded it. Objects I bought went missing, my game would crash...it just wasn't worth it.

Suede Bed at RegencyShop.com | micro suede comforter set Clearance Sale!
Page 1 of 2