Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jul 2008 at 3:47 PM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 17th Sep 2008 at 1:27 PM.
Very Short Translations Required
Firstly I hope this is in the right forum and thats its OK to ask.

I created a fix a while ago to correct a text error with the Free Time BFF memory. A few people stated that they hadn't got a text error in their games but others had.
I recently discovered why not everybody was getting the incorrect text. Players with an American installation had the correct text while every other language, including UK English, had the wrong text.

I now plan on updating my file so that the text is correct for all languages but I can only speak/write English. (I could understand enough to tell the other languages are wrong though)

The text that needs translating is:

Made a BFF
A Best Friend Forever! Sometimes Best Friends is just not enough.

I'd be very grateful to anyone who could provide translations into any of the other languages the game uses and I'd make sure to credit you.
Cheers.

Translations I already have are:
French
German
Italian
Dutch
Danish
Polish
Romanian

Hungarian has text but I don't know if its correct.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 12th Aug 2008 at 9:35 PM
As far as I know there's no mistake in the German version but I would have loved to translate it.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 11:19 AM Last edited by Fafy : 13th Aug 2008 at 11:34 AM.
Translation in Italian (don't know if you need it, but I still wanted to help you):

Fatto un Amico Eterno
Un Amico Eterno ! Spesso essere solo migliori amici non è abbastanza.

And in French:

J'ai un ami pur la vie.
Un Ami Pour La Vie ! Parfois être seulement meilleurs amis n'est pas assez.

I cannot take requests now.

DO NOT UPLOAD MY CC ON PAY SITES, THANKS
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Aug 2008 at 9:21 PM
Thank you very much Fafy!
I needed both of those translations.

Randir, I think the text will read correctly but its what it says that is wrong. At the moment the game tells you its the FIRST best friend forever every time one is made. 'Ersten' does mean first, yes?
The text that is in the American just says that a BFF was made. No mention of it being the first.
I already have a German translation from another user anyway. Thanks for the offer though.

Inventor
#5 Old 17th Aug 2008 at 10:57 AM
That's right if the sentence is "Ich habe einen ersten Freund fürs Leben gefunden." So it means first. Just for comparison without the "first": Ich habe einen Freund fürs Leben gefunden.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Aug 2008 at 11:59 AM
Would 'gefunden' literally translate as 'found'?
The word I was provided with before was 'geschlossen' which I found is 'closed' and so I have ended up using 'gemacht'.

Inventor
#7 Old 17th Aug 2008 at 2:02 PM Last edited by Randir : 17th Aug 2008 at 2:12 PM. Reason: Added something about "gefunden"
You've translated "gefunden" correctly but it also means "formed (a friendship)". If you want to use "geschlossen" you can use: Ich habe eine lebenslange Freundschaft geschlossen. It would be wrong to write: "Ich habe einen Freund fürs Leben geschlossen." It wouldn't make sense and it would be a wrong grammar.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Aug 2008 at 5:02 PM
Thanks very much. This is all very helpful.
I learned some German at school but have forgotten most of it now unfortunately.

Inventor
#9 Old 18th Aug 2008 at 4:58 PM
You're welcome. German isn't the easiest language. What's your German sentence for this mod now?
Field Researcher
#10 Old 30th Aug 2008 at 11:33 PM
Don't know if you still need it, but here's a Danish translation. I had to change the text a bit to make it sound better, but I hope that's okay.

Fik et livslangt venskab
Min bedste ven for evigt! Nogle gange er det bare ikke nok kun at være nære venner.
Test Subject
#11 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 10:50 AM
Well, I will translate it in Romanian, hope u need it:

Am facut un amic pentru totdeauna.
Un amic pentru totdeauna! Uneori amicii nu sunt de ajuns

Check my sims 2 tips & tricks site here: http://sim-mania.wetpaint.com/
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Sep 2008 at 1:20 PM
Thanks guys. I already had Danish in the file but did need the Romanian.

The German text I now have reads:
"Eine lebenslange Freundschaft geschlossen
Ein bester Freund für immer! Manchmal reicht es einfach nicht, nur gute Freunde zu sein."

Inventor
#13 Old 19th Sep 2008 at 9:10 AM
The German should work for everyone now. Nothing to complain about.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#14 Old 19th Sep 2008 at 11:04 AM
To prevent future problems of this sort, when changing an individual string, edit it in the default (US English) language, and use the "Default String Only" button. That wipes out the original (now incorrect) string in all the other languages, and means people all over the world will see the correct string in English. Then as you get people to make translations for you, you can add them to the relevant languages, leaving all those without their own translation to continue to see the English string.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 19th Sep 2008 at 2:37 PM
I have done that Inge. Or at least that should be whats happening with the file. I keep updating the post when I add more translations into the file.
For any language I don't have a translation for at the moment the package in SimPE just says (empty) next to the language.

Lab Assistant
#16 Old 2nd Oct 2008 at 6:49 PM
Japanese, Spanish and Russian People Play the game a lot, so i thought a translation would be appropriate.
Russian -
Сделал BFF Навсегда лучшего друг! Иногда лучшие друг нет как раз достаточно.
Spanish -
Hizo un BFF ¡Un mejor amigo por siempre! Los mejores amigos no son a veces apenas bastantes.
Japanese -
を作った 親友永久に! 時々親友はちょうど十分ではない。
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 2nd Oct 2008 at 10:27 PM
In english:
A Best Friend Forever! Sometimes Best Friends is just not enough.
In Portuguese-Brazil:
Um melhor amigo para sempre! Às vezes melhores amigos não são o bastante.

I hope it helped.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 2nd Oct 2008 at 10:36 PM
Thanks very much! I'll get those translations added the next time I fire up SimPE.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 4th Oct 2008 at 8:02 PM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 4th Oct 2008 at 8:09 PM.
Frazzz, which bits of the Russain and Japanese say 'Made a BFF'?

Nandonalt, how do I say 'Made a BFF' then?

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 6th Oct 2008 at 10:36 PM Last edited by Nandonalt : 6th Oct 2008 at 10:52 PM.
I will check later, then i edit this post.

Made a BFF:
"Fez uma AV"

Made First BFF:
"Fez sua primeira AV"

=D
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 28th Oct 2008 at 6:15 PM
Russian - Сделал лучшим друг навсегда
Japanese - 親友を永久に作った
Those are the Made a BFF bits.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#22 Old 28th Oct 2008 at 7:31 PM
Thanks!

Lab Assistant
#23 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 9:22 AM
In finnish the text "A Best Friend Forever! Sometimes Best Friends is just not enough" would go into something like "Parhaita ystäviä ikuisesti! Joskus parhaita ystäviä ei vain riitä" ...
And "Made a BFF" in finnish game has - as standard - text "Sain ensimmäisen bestiksen" but "ensimmäinen" means "first" so that is the thing that is wrong in this memory. It should be "Sain bestiksen" ( = Made a BFF).

it's very old thread though but I added this just in case
Test Subject
#24 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 11:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Frazzz
Russian - Сделал BFF Навсегда лучшего друг! Иногда лучшие друг нет как раз достаточно.

Quote: Originally posted by Frazzz
Russian - Сделал лучшим друг навсегда

Even my Belgian friend speaks Russian better. The words are awfully unconnected =( But I'm grateful that you didn't forget to mention my native language ^_^

Original Russian text: "Первый друг навек
У меня появился верный друг! Это так здорово, что я просто на седьмом небе от счастья!
"

My suggestion: change only the first line (Made first BFF) from "Первый друг навек" (literally "First BFF") to "Новый друг навек" (literally "New BFF"), because in Russian we don't use any verb alike "make friend".
Theorist
#25 Old 9th Oct 2014 at 5:20 AM
I, for one, hope some of you multi-linguists are using this opportunity to insert some funny sexual innuendos into those phrases.
Locked thread | Locked by: mustluvcatz Reason: Old thread that's not useful to OP anymore
Page 1 of 2