Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Sep 2010 at 12:30 AM Last edited by kazarin : 24th Sep 2010 at 7:02 PM.
Default Knife
Hi All! Please help.

I made a knife that a sim should hold in their hand, but, as you can see in the picture, every time the sim takes it, its position is different. Where can I find a mistake, in the animation or BHAV? I tried to change both, but never got good results.

Sorry for bad English:(
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Sep 2010 at 1:40 AM
Does the knife have a "carry" animation? If it does, make sure that during the pick up all the existing animations are cancelled and the carry animation applied. I think it is probably a mistake in the BHAV, not the animation, but I don't know enough about how you made the object to be certain.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Sep 2010 at 6:17 AM
No, it hasn't. Аction has finished, and knife remains in hand. It's object-accessory. I used for object anim: "o-generic-resettozero-pose" and grasp anim: "a-pose-neutral-stand".
It looks in game thus:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ub44bs4ihjczhp5
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#4 Old 27th Sep 2010 at 12:46 AM
Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there is much that you can do about this easily...

The animations that the sim plays when they walk or do something affect all the joints in the sim's arm - the elbow, wrist, hand and finger joints. To snap an accessory into a sim and have it persist past the end of your interaction, you have to snap it into the wrist slot (I think this is what you have done, which is correct). If you try to snap it into the hand slot, it will get destroyed either when the interaction ends, or when the next interaction involving the hand starts. The problem is that many animations move the sim's hand and fingers, and your accessory won't move with them (because it's attached to the wrist, not the hand or the fingers).

There are two things you might be able to try:
- Attaching the object to the fingers. This might not even be possible - I think the only container slot on a sim's fingers is the ring slot, which would mean that no married or engaged sim could use your knife.
- Running a carry-pose overlay at very high priority. A carry pose is one which just affects the parts of the sim's body which is relevant to the carrying - in this case, the right-hand wrist, hand and fingers. You then need to run that carry pose, at a very high overlay priority. That will force it to override all other hand and wrist animations playing on the sim at the time. That is how sims can carry babies and things like that, and still move the rest of their bodies without specific "carrying-a-baby" versions of every animation. If you can't find a close enough carry animation in the game already though, you would need to make it yourself.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Oct 2010 at 10:37 PM
It doesn't really matter at this stage what happens with the knife when a sim moves. What I want to do is to make them hold the knife in the same way every time they take it, as now its position is totally unpredictable. Just holding it right all the time (while the sim is standing still) would be good
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#6 Old 18th Oct 2010 at 11:09 AM
"o-generic-resettozero-pose" should do that, assuming that you're snapping the knife into the sim's hand first. Could you post your work-in-progress here? I can take a look at it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 9:52 PM
Yes, it's taken in hand. Sorry, I saw your answer just now: ( I threw this object. You can still look it?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  firstaccessoryobjectfromrighthandbykazarin.rar (133.9 KB, 394 downloads) - View custom content
Description: firstaccessoryobjectfromrighthandbykazarin.rar