Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Sellable Novels

by kestrellyn Posted 22nd Apr 2018 at 1:29 AM

22 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 14 Feedback Posts, 7 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#2 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 10:36 PM
This is a fantastic idea! Author's word. ;-)
Field Researcher
#3 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 8:35 AM
This is an awesome concept, and something I've wanted since "write novel" was introduced, but I would really appreciate a more detailed guide on how to use it. When my sims write novels they get one, count 'em, one copy of their book. How do I get duplicate copies to sell? How much do they cost the author?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 7:25 PM
You just mark the novel they get as for sale and it duplicates itself when it gets restocked. If you want to have multiple copies selling at the same time, you can have a sim buy it and then give their copy back as a gift. They cost the same as buy mode items - there is a wholesale price that is less than the selling price that the game calculates which gets paid when it is restocked.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 11:25 PM
I already have the one by faiuwle, uploaded 7 years ago...is yours any different?
http://faiuwle.pbworks.com/w/page/7391063/Sims2Hacks

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 12:00 AM
I am faiuwle (and rufio from MATY). All my links became dead a long time ago because of Dropbox, so I'm uploading them here. There are files still hosted at the pbworks site, but they are very old. I did make one change to this hack, which was to make the novels placeable on OFB shelves, I don't remember which version is on the pbworks site. That site will eventually be reaped by pbworks because I'm not using it anymore.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 1:12 AM
Oh! Okay then. If I may suggest you, you should let people know about this when you re-upload mods. This will help with confusion.
I don't think I ever had any problems placing the sellable novels on OFB shelves..I'll have to try again then. I was running a home business.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 1:49 AM
I put a thing about it on my profile here and put links on my websites...
Test Subject
#9 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 3:31 PM
Thanks for this. I did have your original, but I'm not sure where it is now.

Novels can be cloned. Place on a cheap coffee table and place in inventory. Close inventory. Open inventory and put coffee table on lot. Remove novel and place on floor. Return coffee table to inventory and repeat until it stops working - usually about 10 copies. Then place all copies but one in inventory ready to give as gifts or sell. Hope this helps, croidure.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 4:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
I put a thing about it on my profile here and put links on my websites...

Unless I go to your profile, I would not know. I download your mods, from the Downloads section here, at MTS.
I have no idea what is your site or if you have one. I download here. But ok. My bad I guess.

Instructor
THANKS POST
#11 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 6:01 PM
I've always wanted to have my Sims be able to sell their novels, I'll give this a try after I finish restoring my game. Thanks for your work on this.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 8:55 PM
Rosebine, you linked to my site. That's what I was saying, if you actually read the site you liked to you, you would find out that that was me.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#13 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 10:57 PM
Wonderful ! Thanks !
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 26th Apr 2018 at 5:50 PM
Yeah, someone did this once on MATY by overriding the images in 0x7F9959BA.
Alchemist
THANKS POST
#15 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 9:41 AM
Great idea, wish I'd known about it sooner but better late than never!!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#16 Old 4th May 2018 at 7:47 AM
Finally someone did it! Thank you so much! I'm so happy today!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator THANKS POST
#17 Old 23rd May 2018 at 8:04 PM
Hi @kestrellyn It is great to see you active again, and good to have these mods uploaded. I'm loving all of your mods here, thank you!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#18 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 4:05 AM
I've been having an issue with this mod, and it may be on my end, but I'd like to message and be sure. Recently, my books have started selling as generic books rather than the original ones. For example, when Nervous Subject was alive, he wrote a children's book called "I Spot." Now, his grandchildren are still selling the novels, but they've started appearing in the inventories of people who buy them as "Frumpy the Bear's Humble Journeys," no author listed. I've run hoodchecker and the HCDU, and they haven't turned up any results. Have you heard of this happening before, and would you have any tips on how to fix it?

Wonderful mod, by the way. It worked wonderfully for me for a long while, and I'm honestly not sure why it stopped.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 12:06 AM
That's weird. The last time I tested this (which was admittedly a long time ago, since I had to restart my hood and haven't properly got a bookstore set up yet) they appeared correctly in people's inventories after they bought them. Is that book name actually the name of a generic book you can get off the bookshelf? I don't think I've ever seen it.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 5:25 PM
It's very strange to me. I just tested and grabbed a book a sim was reading, and that book read as simply "Book" when in a sim's inventory, rather than having a title and full description.
These new purchased novels also disappear when in a bookcase, as opposed to sim-written books which stay under the Novels section.

To make things even weirder, I recently found a sim with the real book by Nervous in his inventory. I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~Theodore Geisel
"If what you are is just what you own, what have you become when they take from you almost everything?" ~Destroya, My Chemical Romance
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 19th Jul 2019 at 2:03 AM
I'll try to see if I can get a chance to test it, but I'm not sure what would be causing this.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 23rd Jul 2019 at 5:44 AM Last edited by Boosterbear : 23rd Jul 2019 at 5:48 AM. Reason: Hit submit too early
I'm so sorry to have taken some of your time, the issue was on my end. I downloaded some bookcases with slots, to be used as shelves, that I sold the novels from. I wasn't paying full attention, and the "problem books" looked like they were the purchased novels (since the novel needed restocked), but were actually due to the sim buying a book from the bookcase/shelf that I hadn't realized I set for sale.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~Theodore Geisel
"If what you are is just what you own, what have you become when they take from you almost everything?" ~Destroya, My Chemical Romance
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 3:45 AM
Ahh, no problem! Thanks for reporting back.