Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 1:29 AM
Default I can't figure out how after all this time Playing Sims
I have not after all these years found out how, ok here the deal I always create a pet for my Sims in CAS because there I can place a collar on the pet dog or cat.
For the first time my Sim felt in love with a beautiful stray and adopted the cat ( white in color ) I send my Sims to the community to buy a collar for it.

The problem is it is not in the inventory and not only I have always read over the years to send the pet to a standing mirror to place the collar.
It have Never work for me,that why I always never bother a stray but make one in CAS and put a collar on the Pet. Question just how do you place a collar on a stray that your Sims take in?

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 1:34 AM
The sim takes the pet to the mirror.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#3 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 1:36 AM Last edited by natboopsie : 17th Jul 2019 at 2:53 AM.
Once the household has bought at least one collar for that pet type, you are correct that you just use any mirror on the home lot.

But you don't actually (ETA: need to) send the pet to the mirror; just use any normal controlled sim to click on the mirror. From there, choose Change Pet Appearance (not exactly sure of the wording). Included there is selecting a collar---just like part of creating a pet is choosing a collar for them.

Partially ninja'd by jo...hi, jo!

Edited again to add that the collar you buy does not show up in your sim's inventory, just as when they buy jewelry or clothes at a shop you won't see those in their inventory. They show up as options for the pet when you use the mirror.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 1:39 AM

*posting more words so the site doesn't throw a hissy fit*

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 1:40 AM
Possibly also via mod? The SimBlender or Insim mods might be helpful along with the control pet cheats.
You can buy collars from a collar stand, but I'm not entirely sure if you can do this with mods.

Wiki:
https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Pet
Quote:
Sims can buy pet collars from the Collar Connection Display, but the player must choose whether the collar will be for a large dog, a small dog, or a cat. Once purchased, collars appear to be stored in an equivalent of the household wardrobe that stores the Sims' clothing, so once a collar is purchased for a type of pet, it can be placed on any pet of that type in the household. To put a collar on a pet, or to change or remove a pet's collar, the player will need to click on a mirror, and choose the option to change the pet's appearance. Both the Sim and the pet will go to the mirror, and the player will be able to select any collar that has been purchased for that type of pet. The action will fail if the pet cannot get to the mirror, so the player may need to buy a full-length mirror and place it in an open area, so both the Sim and the pet will be able to get to the mirror. Of course, the mirror can be sold for its full price once the collar is on the pet.
Instructor
#6 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 1:48 AM
I still haven't gotten all the collars. I got some finding codes, but there were so many. Got more with jobs but after a few times stopped bothering with pets, as they were so much attention needing for so little benefit in game. And dogs in the game are really, really bad dogs, at least that you can get.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 3:47 AM
There are no bad dogs, only bad masters.

Simonut, part of your problem may be custom mirrors that haven't been updated for Pets. It works exactly like it does for toddlers. Click on the mirror and if it's a Maxis item or a Pets enabled custom item, you should get Change Your Pet's Appearance as an option.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 4:44 AM
@Peni Griffin Thanks I have try Maxis regular mirror the only options I get is Change Appearance for the Sims. I been trying for years and get zero.
I never had problem with changing a Sims or a Child in that stage, this is one reason I have always made a Pet in CAS placing a collar is never a problem.
This is a stray the Sims have purchase three cat collar, but it never show up in the inventory.

It seem that a long time ago another member had this problem http://modthesims.info/t/449943

Mad Poster
#9 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 5:19 AM
Sounds like it's time for the old 50/50. Something that specific almost has to be a mod conflict.
I don't think collars show up in inventory regardless. They're like clothes in that regard.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Link Ninja
#10 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 7:49 AM
I always had issue on like non-full body mirrors because it's not like the sim is programmed to lift the animal up to the mirror, the animal had to always be able to get right in front of the mirror for it to work for me.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#11 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 7:52 PM Last edited by smorbie1 : 17th Jul 2019 at 11:22 PM.
the thing I've found is that the pet isn't always in the mood to have his appearance changed. You can change him from the full mirrors and the smaller ones but he's not going to quit playing fetch to come change his appearance. It drops out of his queue.

EDIT: I just tested it. I had Florence Delarosa take her former stray, Petunia, to the small mirror in the bathroom of the flower shop. Petunia loves her and just followed her in there even though there were customers who were wanting to play with her. I was able to change her appearance and give her a brand new collar. (florence had just bought some through sims manipulator's buy function)

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Forum Resident
#12 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 12:19 AM
Simonut, I've been looking around to see if I can find you any solutions, but indeed it looks like the problem you're having is uncommon; only a few reports through the years, and no one has ever reported what specifically solved it for them, or if they ever found a solution. Checked my own game as well, and it's not a problem I have either, so I can't troubleshoot along with you (I get Change Pet's Appearance on all the Maxis mirrors I checked).

But at least you know it's actually not you who can't figure it out. I agree with Peni that you have probably a mod conflict of some kind.

The one thing I want to say again, even though it's been said above in the thread, is just to reassure you that it's OK that collars don't visibly show up in sims' inventories when you buy them at the store. That's perfectly normal. In fact, I just bought a collar using Monique's computer (under Shop Online) and saw nothing in the sim's inventory after the money was deducted. Yet I was able to use a mirror (placed where the dog could get to it easily) and click on Change Pet's Appearance with no issues---the collar just purchased came up in Step 3. So definitely don't worry that you cannot actually see the collar in any sim's inventory!

Good luck with your 50/50. Please let us know if you do find the mod that's causing it; sounds like this has been a longstanding mystery never solved, and you're not the only one.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#13 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 4:15 AM
Hey Everyone ! I found the problem. First I want to give thanks to the following members:

@Peni Griffin You are absolutely correct it was a MOD and this is the culprit here http://www.insimenator.org/index.php?topic=7575.0 Mod "Check Your Self Out" a mod that allow Adults to check themselves out in a mirror as teenagers are already allow to do. It seem to have taken away the options for Pets appearance.

@smorbie1 Thanks for taken the time for testing in your own game.
@natboopsie Thank you also for your testing in your own game and finding that it work for you.

Note: So after all this time of wondering why placing a collar on a stray pet, never work for me the Culprit was the Mod mention in the link above.
I really like this mod, but if my Sims ever adopt a Stray again I will remove the mod and then place the collar on the dog or cat.

For everyone who reply to this post and try to help I thank you all.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 10:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
Hey Everyone ! I found the problem. First I want to give thanks to the following members:

Peni Griffin You are absolutely correct it was a MOD and this is the culprit here http://www.insimenator.org/index.php?topic=7575.0 Mod "Check Your Self Out" a mod that allow Adults to check themselves out in a mirror as teenagers are already allow to do. It seem to have taken away the options for Pets appearance.

From looking at the dates in that thread, it appears the mod was made for OFB and was never updated for any EPs later than that. When downloading mods, always make sure that the mod you're getting is compatible with your latest EP.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 7:03 PM
If you have Aaroneous's Sim Manipulator, you can also use that to change your pet's appearance without bothering with a mirror. It's a bit quicker than having a Sim chase a pet halfway across the lot to carry it over.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Forum Resident
#16 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 7:16 PM
You are so welcome, @Simonut and I'm very happy you figured it out! It was particularly helpful that you provided the link to the culprit mod as well.

I had a look at the mod's page too; just looking at the link, I was surprised because Squinge has generally been great about updating his mods. So it made a lot of sense that it was another modder completely who just happened to be on that site. (And actually, if you go to page three of the mod's thread and start reading from post 33, that modder *did* make an update for Pets...but both links that he provided to the Pets version are now dead.)

The advice @RoxEllen1965 gives is good in general, definitely. But...now that the game is older and its fanbase smaller (though passionate), it's truly not always possible to get versions of older mods that are updated all the way to your configuration. And in that case, sometimes we do end up trying whatever the most recent version was, because that's all there is...and so we cross our fingers and hope it works.

So, Simonut, one useful thing to do when you're trying older and non-updated mods is to make sure you read everything that's been asked/answered about them before installing. Sometimes there are clues that the version you have may have some compatibility issues. For example, reading through that mod's thread, you can take the (former) existence of a Pets version as a clue: if people were asking specifically about a version for that EP, then that probably means that something to do with that one EP was broken by, or broke, the OFB version of the mod. Which was exactly the case here, as you see---the mod broke mirror functionality for pets!

So there's some ideas about how to recognize in the future what possible problems an abandoned mod might have. Because the deal with TS2 is that sometimes, we still want to try those mods! But you don't have to go in blind: the discussions the modder (or the mod's users) have had can give you useful clues as to what specifically might go wrong with your game because of the older version...and that's a head start if you later have to troubleshoot.

(I know it's also possible that you first got the mod when you just had OFB and then just never looked to see whether he had updated it. With as many mods as so many of us have, of course that happens a lot too! But regardless of the case, it sounds like taking the mod out to put a collar on a pet and then replacing it is perfectly acceptable to you---so again, good thinking.)

Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#17 Old 19th Jul 2019 at 2:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
From looking at the dates in that thread, it appears the mod was made for OFB and was never updated for any EPs later than that. When downloading mods, always make sure that the mod you're getting is compatible with your latest EP.

Yes agree that mod was created back in 2006, at the time I downloaded the one for OFB that is the EP I had at the time. The link left for the Mod for Pets is no longer a working link.
And to be fair this Mod is still good and work with the EPs I have now, for Sims to check themselves out in the mirror just as the teens do.
The only drawback is if you want to change the appearance of a pet then you need to take the mod out first. and if you like the mod just place it back in afterward.

@natboopsie Thanks again for your comments your points are well taken.