Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 6:06 PM Last edited by Squidconqueror : 17th Jul 2018 at 2:32 AM.
Default (Solved) The game makes a new document folder after regenerating a new EA folder.
I've just started having a strange problem where Sims 2 would make a new document folder that has the icon of a document on it and then it would save the EA folder it that instead of just saving it in the default document location like it always does. I've just started having this problem after uninstalling Any Game Starter. I do know that Any Game Installer changes the game registry but I still have this problem even after I reinstalled Sims 2 and rebooted my computer so why is it still doing that before then it would save it in the public document folder until I deleted that folder.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 6:17 PM
Try regenerating the "The Sims 2" folder, not the "EA Games" folder.

Also, you're not meant to do anything with the Public folder (it's supposed to be empty - unless there's some AGS stuff I don't know about), and if deleted it'll just regenerate. The proper folder for the game is here: C:\Users\...\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 6:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Try regenerating the "The Sims 2" folder, not the "EA Games" folder.

Also, you're not meant to do anything with the Public folder (it's supposed to be empty - unless there's some AGS stuff I don't know about), and if deleted it'll just regenerate. The proper folder for the game is here: C:\Users\...\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2

All that did was just make the game create a new EA Games folder on top of the old one in the same folder. Thanks for trying to help out though. I think it's something that Any Game Starter had done to the registry that makes the game do that.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 6:55 PM
You shouldn't touch the EA Games folder, just the TheSims2 folder inside it. If you want to make multiple games, you copy and rename the The Sims 2 folder, NOT the EA Games folders.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 7:43 PM
Now the game makes a new EA Games folder in the C: Local Disk location. It would make a folder anywhere but where it's supposed to be.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 11:18 PM
You do not want to make a new EA folder, you want a new Sims 2 folder. Go Documents>EA Games>The Sims 2. rename the Sims 2 folder and run the game.
Screenshots

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 11:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You do not want to make a new EA folder, you want a new Sims 2 folder. Go Documents>EA Games>The Sims 2. rename the Sims 2 folder and run the game.

I did that but now the game just creates and reads the EA Games Folder in the Local Disk C:\ location and no matter what I do that's still the default location where the game dumps the EA Games folder into instead of in the documents like where it's supposed to be and that still happens even after a fresh installation.
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 2:31 AM
I finally found out what the problem was. I opened up Regedit and went to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders,double clicked on Personal and changed the blank box under Value data to %USERPROFILE%\Documents and i'm happy to say that everything's back to the way it was before because the game reads and regenerates the files in the Documents folder like where it's supposed to be. Now all that's left for me to do now is update the Graphic Rules file,put in clean neighborhood templates and yeah install more CC and mods.