Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#6651 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 10:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
Speedrun and Sims 2 are usually two words you don't see in the same sentence. How do you speedrun a game that doesn't have a set end? I've seen speedruns for Dishonored 1, Dishonored 2, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and Bioshock Infinite but those games have set ends.

Since Sims 2 is a sandbox game, you have to set your own goal/endpoint. The person in the video wanted to see how quickly they could get their CAS sim to five hundred thousand simoleans.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#6652 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 3:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
Since Sims 2 is a sandbox game, you have to set your own goal/endpoint. The person in the video wanted to see how quickly they could get their CAS sim to five hundred thousand simoleans.

Although, technically they cheated. It would have been more interesting to see how they managed it playing properly.
Mad Poster
#6653 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 3:03 PM
I wouldn't call it a cheat, but an exploit. Exploits are used a lot in speedruns.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Top Secret Researcher
#6654 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 5:42 PM
As long as they don't pull up the cheat box it isn't a cheat. Although personally I find it too cheaty still so I wouldn't do it. If I ever need money that fast I'll just cheat.
Alchemist
#6655 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 7:47 PM
the cheat box is not the only way to enter cheats in this game; a cheat file is another way. I think named "userstartup.cheat".
though currently not sure if money cheats could be put into that file.
Mad Poster
#6656 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 7:49 PM
No, only boolprop cheats can be enabled on startup.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Top Secret Researcher
#6657 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 9:12 PM
You can also put shortcuts there, so for example, whenever I want to use "move_objects on" I just type "m" and then "mo" to turn it off :D
Mad Poster
#6658 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 9:24 PM
Yes, but you need to open the cheat box/console to do so.

Mad Poster
#6659 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 10:10 PM
You don't need to blast off the house with music when there's a fruit punch keg to entertain your party guests instead. Although this is my first experience.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Alchemist
#6660 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
You don't need to blast off the house with music when there's a fruit punch keg to entertain your party guests instead. Although this is my first experience.
first experience for a sim party?
from my experience, the key for a successful party is lots of quick relationship-building socials.
Mad Poster
#6661 Old 11th Dec 2018 at 10:25 PM
first experience with a punch keg on parties without stereo.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Top Secret Researcher
#6662 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 1:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Yes, but you need to open the cheat box/console to do so.

Of course. I was just giving a general tip
Forum Resident
#6663 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 9:59 AM
Apparently, if you age up child sims with the freetime aging thing, they will keep the grow up aspiration, and it will glitch out the date meter. I wonder if there's a fix for it...
Mad Poster
#6664 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 10:06 AM
You need to change the aspiration to one of the adult ones, and give them turn-ons, and so on. You can do it with SimPE, and probably other editing tools.

If you're not comfortable with any of the editing tools, you can move them in, assign them an aspiration with the Renu-Orb, and then (if you like) make them townies again.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#6665 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 7:42 PM
about keeping the Grow Up aspiration when aging a Child with Freetime; the wikia site told that is either a glitch or a bug.
https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Townie...used_by_Townies
#5 in that list.
Mad Poster
#6666 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 8:01 PM Last edited by Bulbizarre : 12th Dec 2018 at 8:17 PM.
Glitches and bugs are pretty much the same thing.

Fun fact: The first computer bug was a literal one (though 'bug' was also an engineering term before that). A moth had gotten trapped in a relay for the Mark II, causing an error:

Although she wasn't actually the one to discover the moth, this story was publicized by Grace Hopper, who was one of the pioneers of computer programming.

Another fun fact (only tangentially related, though): Early high-speed printers tended to produce a lot of heat. So if something went wrong, say a paper jam, it could potentially cause it to catch fire (not helped at all by paper dust and the alcohol-based cleaning solutions). So, for any unknown printer error, old Unix systems would display the error message lp0 on fire (or printer on fire) to motivate any operators to go take a look. My favourite line in the Wikipedia article is "The message did not reliably indicate whether the printer in question was actually on fire."

Mad Poster
#6667 Old 12th Dec 2018 at 8:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sugoisama
Apparently, if you age up child sims with the freetime aging thing, they will keep the grow up aspiration, and it will glitch out the date meter. I wonder if there's a fix for it...

I don't know of a fix, but I do know of two alternatives.

Syberspunk made a mod where you can age up any townie or other sim just by clicking on them and asking them to grow up. I use the version with no relationship requirements. Get both zip files. The variously flavored controllers are all included so you can pick which one you want to use.
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,4842.0.html

Ancient Highway made a mod where any sim on the current lot at 6:00 pm will age one day. This includes NPCs as well as townies. Get the improved version in the second post. The first version will conflict with a lot of other mods. The second one shouldn't.
http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=8058.0

Additional info here. http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=8685.0
Mad Poster
#6668 Old 14th Dec 2018 at 12:29 AM
When making a dog in Create-a-Pet, the muzzle and tail fur accessories are the same as the base colour. So if you want them to be different, set the colour you want on the fur accessories as the base colour, and then add an "all body" layer with whatever colour you want the rest of the animal to be.

Also, using several all-body layers of different colours and messing with the opacity settings can create some nice in-between colours.

Inventor
#6669 Old 14th Dec 2018 at 11:15 PM
That I really ought to pay more attention to hotkeys/keyboard shortcuts. I tend to use the mouse almost exclusively for gameplay, so I'm woefully ignorant of which keys do what. I discovered by accident that hitting 'G' will send the camera to a sort of ground level view, but also widen the POV angle so you can see more at once. Whenever I tried that with the mouse, I would usually end up in a wall. Very nice for viewing tight spaces. Also, hitting 'Q' will apparently bring up the Quit Game prompt. Though now that I know about it, I'll probably end up hitting it even more by accident!
Mad Poster
#6670 Old 14th Dec 2018 at 11:39 PM
If you're in tab/freecam mode, Q will make the camera move around. I really wish it wasn't the same as the Quit key,

Plus/minus will also zoom the camera (can't remember if it's just freecam mode), F1-F5 will switch between modes, 0/1/2/3 can change the speed, comma and period can rotate objects (use with 45-degree angle cheat), M key will shift items between slots, home/end can switch wall modes, pageup/pagedown will switch floors, and enter will center it on the active Sim.

Mad Poster
#6671 Old 14th Dec 2018 at 11:51 PM
ACR and apartments don't get along. I hadn't had a chance to get a couple into an apartment yet, and ACR casual sit kept coming up and then the message about not renting an apartment yet. Geez ACR give me a chance to get them into an apartment first.

Heh, I've been playing a bunch of other games that use w a s d and occasionally when I switch back to Sims 2 I keep wanting to use w a s d before I remember that movement is controlled by the mouse (I only use mouse for Sims 2 and Sims 3).
Mad Poster
#6672 Old 15th Dec 2018 at 12:44 AM
When ACR kicked in at a hotel, my Sims kept trying to go to an inaccessible room. I got around it temporarily by using the build/buy enabler to stick the bed they were attempting to route to in inventory. They went to their own bed after that.

Alchemist
#6673 Old 15th Dec 2018 at 10:30 PM
discovered awhile ago:: constrainfloorelevation cheat with flatten lot tool; quickly flattens whole lot.
Lab Assistant
#6674 Old 16th Dec 2018 at 7:08 AM
You can't make plantsim clean the toilet or make them finish cleaning the potty. If boolprop cheat is on, it will throw error. Little bit annoying, but still.
Instructor
#6675 Old 16th Dec 2018 at 11:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by thewrittenletter
You can't make plantsim clean the toilet or make them finish cleaning the potty. If boolprop cheat is on, it will throw error. Little bit annoying, but still.
That's definitely not normal - probably is some kind of mods/cc conflict (haven't tried the baby pot, but the toilet cleaning works fine in my game)
Page 267 of 445