Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jul 2018 at 7:45 PM Last edited by CatherineTCJD : 12th Jul 2018 at 5:38 PM.
Default TS2 - Can anyone figure out why the lights stopped lighting?
I'm building these apartments for the "Space" theme...

When I first built this domed atrium, I used Nixy's invisible hard ceiling lights. And they lit up - but not as much as I wanted. ...And, they are really hard to locate if you want to remove them (thinking of potential lot downloaders here.) So I found them all and deleted them. That's when I noticed that the other lights were not 'glowing' - and I'm sure they were when I first put them in. If I toggle nighttime, everything lights up as it should. But, in daytime, with all lights on, there is no glow - and the brightness seems less lit than it should.

I've used Frillen's invisible floor tiles on both the top and bottom sides of the dome (as I did HERE in my Pyramid Commune No.9 upload) and Numenor's invisible wall (which doesn't obstruct light). There are also lots of windows... Does anyone have any idea why it's so dark?

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions/help anyone can lend
Screenshots

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 2:48 AM
Very cool build! Unfortunately, I am useless when it comes to building in TS2- it's just been too long. Most of our "mentors" build in TS3, but I will call our two stand-by experts, in case they can help:
@joandsarah77
@Zarathustra

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 4:44 AM
Hmm... In my extraterrestrial domes, I would deliberately trick the game into viewing them as not fully enclosed (see HERE ), so that there'd still be full sunlight (or night) within the domes, and then I included other buildings within the domes, which I treated more or less normally... I wonder, if you replace a wall segment with something like the greenhouse walls (that's what I found worked best from a visual standpoint- the game treats it as a fence from a lighting/enclosure standpoint, but it's a full 16-click high sprite, so it looks right) instead of the normal walls it looks like you're using, does your lighting problem fix/change in some way?

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 5:52 AM
I honestly have no idea Cat. I would have thought the lights would have worked there, but all I can think of is the game is not seeing the inside as a room and the area is too large. So they are not glowing at all? To me that's the strange part.

I will say though it looks cool!

Maybe go back to Nixy's lights or try some other light that is easier to grab?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 4:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Hmm... In my extraterrestrial domes...

Cool! I didn't know you wrote a tute I've built domes before and never had this problem... I'll try swapping out for the greenhouse walls and see if that changes anything. Thanks for the idea!
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
...Maybe go back to Nixy's lights or try some other light that is easier to grab?

That's what I was trying to do when I realized it was broken.

Thank you both for thinking with me. I really don't want to have to flatten/rebuild the dome. Yuck. I suppose I should've used a dummy level like I did with my pyramids (linked in the OP) - I wasn't going for anything that 'big' so I didn't. *sigh* Live and learn, live and learn

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths