Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Feb 2019 at 5:50 PM Last edited by grammapat : 15th Feb 2019 at 1:50 AM.
Default default hood terrain
I've been trying out different hood default terrains, I've seen a lot, from 3? people, now I can't find ANY! Just working on deserts: I found a default (and a horizon) by greatcheesecakeperson - but it's 2 dark to me. A desert one from curiousb looked promising (it has matching lot terrain paint, and roads) but her links aren't going anywhere. I don't mind the Maxis shade of desert (it COULD have a bit of darker details), but the texture is for crap (I know, would have to get hi-res). And I want different types of horizons to match; I have lots of horizons, but they are all much darker than Maxis desert.
AND I need to re-think the default for grass because I don't have a lot terrain paint that matches. I like to see lot grass (or desert or whatever) match the hood color (from hood view)
Ideas? Links to default terrains? I could swear some were even here on MTS, but dang if I can find them!

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#2 Old 14th Feb 2019 at 7:03 PM
I've got a bunch of different default terrains (and other stuff for neighborhood view) here: http://dramallamadingdang.tumblr.com/tagged/dlnhood

CuriousB's downloads are all here now: https://simfileshare.net/folder/21384/ For her terrain defaults, you want the subfolder called "Neighbourhood."

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 14th Feb 2019 at 7:10 PM
Have you tried the ones by iCad?

http://dramallamadingdang.tumblr.co...date-is-over-im

Ninja'd by iCad! She got me while I was still typing!
Field Researcher
#4 Old 14th Feb 2019 at 7:55 PM
I use these for everything except lush because I like the maxis grass: http://peppermint-ginger.tumblr.com...d-credits-under
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Feb 2019 at 2:16 AM Last edited by grammapat : 15th Feb 2019 at 2:48 AM.
Thanks everone..iCad has been my go-to person!I have his "edited texture"desert default. The color is a bid darker than Maxis - that's OK, but to me it still does not match the skyline by greatcheese...the grassy desert and dark hills just don't do it for me.
AND, even with the "fix" for the seam that shows between hood & horizon, I still see a white line (with almost ALL hoods and many different horizons). Then I read that to fix that seam you need to use a SKY box with the horizon; I haven't wanted to do that because of the hi-res. Any sollutions?
Maybe this helps: a pic of ICad default with the closest match I could find, bycuriousb: shows terrain doesn't match in hood view (by sidewalks)
sorry should have attached pic in spoiler before submitting
Screenshots

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Feb 2019 at 3:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
I've got a bunch of different default terrains (and other stuff for neighborhood view) here: http://dramallamadingdang.tumblr.com/tagged/dlnhood

CuriousB's downloads are all here now: https://simfileshare.net/folder/21384/ For her terrain defaults, you want the subfolder called "Neighbourhood."

I'm trying her terrain default, and terrain paint. On her site she talked about a download that fixed the non-matching terrain by sidewalks in lot view, but I can't find it (it's not "road overlay", or "neighborhood sidewalk"

Undead Molten Llama
#7 Old 15th Feb 2019 at 10:34 PM
You need to install a road default to match the terrain, if you want to keep that terrain, because in lot view, you're still seeing the bit of Maxis terrain between the road and the sidewalk in all the visible area off the lot. That will happen with any terrain default that doesn't have an integrated road default. None of mine do because I like to be able to mix-and-match roads and terrain. So, you need a matching road default or one like CuriousB's that doesn't have any terrain between the road and the sidewalk. I can't tell by the pic if you're using the high-res or standard-res version of that terrain default. If it's the high-res one, then you ought to have the matching road default already because it and the terrain default were in the same download, so you'd just need to dump the road default into your Downloads. If it's the standard-res version, then you need this: http://dramallamadingdang.tumblr.co...imsecret-anon-i

For the seam at the edge of the world...Do you have Skyfix installed? Without that, you will get artifacts like that at the edges of the neighborhood terrain. If you do have that mod in, I can't tell from the pic what the issue is. A closer-up pic of just that issue might be helpful.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Feb 2019 at 12:10 AM
Thanks for info: hard thing is finding the defaults I like, and matching horizons. I don't know which one is in the pic; I'm still experimenting. And yes, I have Skyfix, but with some horizons it doesn't quite work

Undead Molten Llama
#9 Old 16th Feb 2019 at 2:33 AM
The thing is, you're not likely to find a horizon that exactly matches. For one thing, horizons don't change between neighborhood view and lot view, whereas the terrain does. In neighborhood view, terrains are complex; in lot view, they are very simple. So, if you make horizons, you have to choose which to match: Neighborhood view or lot view. I tend to choose neighborhood view because how the horizon looks is more important to me in neighborhood view than lot view because I'm more likely to take "scenery pictures" in neighborhood view than lot view, precisely because the terrain is so simple in lot view and it takes more effort to pretty it up.

Ultimately, to get exactly what you want, you'd have to make your own terrain/horizon combination. Terrains are fairly easy to make, horizons...not so much. Editing the textures of an existing terrain or horizon is fairly easy if you have (or are willing to learn) basic image editing skills. If making/editing your own isn't possible, then you're just going to have to stab around and find a combination you can live with. Or, find someone willing to make what you want. Normally, I'd volunteer for that, but right now I've got too many projects of my own that I want to work on and not enough time to do them.

As for the visual artifact...Sometimes terrains have weirdness. If Skyfix isn't fixing it, then it's some kind of graphical issue. My best advice would be to see if you can disguise it. Maybe stick rocks or clumps of trees on it.