Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Sep 2016 at 6:13 PM
Default Opinion on Black Lives Matter?
It seems that every time a black person dies at the hands of a white person, BLM protesters come crawling out of the woodwork. There's been a lot of shit going on with movement lately and I was just curious as to what everyone thought about it.

My two cents:

If you guys want to see my sources, let me know and I'll put them in a separate post. I was going to put them in this post but I didn't want to bog down this post with a bunch of links to videos and articles.

What are your thoughts?

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Sep 2016 at 12:07 AM
I think any group who hates on others is wrong regardless of what race they happen to be. From what I have seen on Youtube blacks are also putting down the movement, I think that says a lot. Not that I know a huge lot since I am not American. Somehow the other day I ended up at some show on this, you know how you hop around youtube and wonder how you ended up here? Unfortunately I forget the gentleman's name who was being interviewed, but it was a white interviewer, black interviewee (is that the correct word?). It was amusing since the white guy thought BLM was a good thing and the black guy explained why it wasn't and that the real issue was black crime on black crime. Again I am not American so all I know is what I see on media.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Sep 2016 at 6:47 PM
I just don't get how the people of BLM can expect everyone to jump on their bandwagon when they commit so many acts of terrorism and act like they don't even want to cooperate with white people.

My Claim to Fame
Theorist
#4 Old 5th Sep 2016 at 10:02 PM Last edited by Shoosh Malooka : 5th Sep 2016 at 10:36 PM.
At first they may have been worth listening to. But their actions are at odds with their message and they've got no leadership or direction, so they're practically a mob that can't muzzle their out of control members. They will turn on their own people for trying to cooperate with... anyone who can help. Pretty much a lot of the bad things you can say about angry protesters in general can be said about blm. I mean, white lives matter emerged because they saw how successfully blm could hold a platform for puking poison. "Black lives matter" is a disaster of a name because 1. it implies higher importance and 2. can be legit squashed and trolled by countering with "all lives matter." Finally, when did they try to do something about black on black violence and deaths? It's sad that they could have been a real voice, maybe they can turn around, but they're ruining themselves when a lot of them malfunction by the opposite of peace.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Sep 2016 at 3:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shoosh Malooka
Finally, when did they try to do something about black on black violence and deaths?

Never, which is one of the main things that bothers me about them. It's like they don't really care and they just want to race bait to get everyone to hate white people.

My Claim to Fame
Scholar
#6 Old 6th Sep 2016 at 8:49 AM Last edited by Nemiga : 6th Sep 2016 at 5:18 PM.
That BLM thing isn't really good. They look aggresive and troublesome (counter aggression is not solution to any problem), and like OP said they accomplish nothing, except the fact that they increasing abyss between black and white races. Some of them want to be more equal than the others. And I don't like it, cuz not only black lives matters, ALL LIVES MATTERS.
Instructor
#7 Old 10th Sep 2016 at 5:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nemiga
ALL LIVES MATTERS.

The entire point of saying "Black Lives Matter" is so that someday when you say "All Lives Matter" it will be a true statement.
Instructor
#8 Old 11th Sep 2016 at 2:49 AM
BLM is a racist terrorist group which has accomplished nothing but increased racial tensions
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Sep 2016 at 11:41 PM
It also bothers me that BLM's "hero" is on the FBI's Most-Wanted list...

My Claim to Fame
Instructor
#10 Old 12th Sep 2016 at 8:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Averex
It also bothers me that BLM's "hero" is on the FBI's Most-Wanted list...

To whom are you referring, exactly?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 3:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GabyBee
To whom are you referring, exactly?

Assata Shakur
http://www.infowars.com/inspiration...errorists-list/

My Claim to Fame
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 1:03 PM
I just don't get how the people of BLM can expect everyone to jump on their bandwagon when they commit so many acts of terrorism and act like they don't even want to cooperate with white people.

This comment and most of the comments on this thread are unbelievable. It just proves that BLM is so very necessary.

I wouldn't put a lot of effort into getting it transported.
Instructor
#13 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 2:49 AM
Assata Shakur
http://www.infowars.com/inspiration...errorists-list/

Oh... you take Alex Jones seriously. Whelp... enjoy your alt-right fantasy reality.

For anyone else, the actual FBI Most Wanted list is here:
https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#14 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 3:45 AM Last edited by Averex : 16th Sep 2016 at 12:07 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simbalena
BLM is so very necessary.

How exactly...

EDIT: How can you disagree with a question?

My Claim to Fame
Alchemist
#15 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 4:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
It was amusing since the white guy thought BLM was a good thing and the black guy explained why it wasn't and that the real issue was black crime on black crime. Again I am not American so all I know is what I see on media.
That guy sounds ridiculous. You can always find a handful of people in any group, who hold views that don't make much sense. I wouldn't put much stock into his opinion, solely because he's black.

http://blacklivesmatter.com/11-majo...atter-movement/

It bothers me when black on black crime is used as some kind of counterpoint every time the subject of police brutality comes up, as if the former should be focused on to the exclusion of the latter. It's okay to address inequality in the justice system. It doesn't mean that the people who start such conversations don't care about other crimes. But it is undeniable that people without badges who are caught committing crimes are more likely to be tried and convicted than a police officer who abuses their power. It shouldn't be hard to understand why people would feel driven to protest when a member of the organization that is supposed to protect you can kill you, even if you haven't done anything wrong, be placed on paid administrative leave, and possibly never even go before a grand jury.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#17 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 12:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
It bothers me when black on black crime is used as some kind of counterpoint every time the subject of police brutality comes up, as if the former should be focused on to the exclusion of the latter. It's okay to address inequality in the justice system.

But police brutality isn't a problem exclusive to black people, and BLM loves to act like it is. And anytime the statistics are brought up that show how white people are killed by police more AND how black-on-black crime is a much bigger issue (meaning it takes more lives) than police brutality toward black people, all you hear is crickets (either that or you get called a racist).

And since the movement claims that black lives don't matter and questions the number of deaths in the black community, I think it's fair to ask why they aren't talking about black-on-black crime...you know, since it happens at a higher rate.

But silly me, I'm not allowed to question this kind of stuff! I'm white! I'm just supposed to sit down, shut up, and be the apologetic "yes man" to the criminals who go around burning down cities, looting stores, and killing cops in the name of this movement.

My Claim to Fame
Alchemist
#18 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 2:16 AM Last edited by omglo : 16th Sep 2016 at 2:41 AM.
Of course police brutality isn't a problem exclusive to black people, and it's not at all surprising that the police kill more whites than blacks, since there are a lot more white Americans than black Americans. Of course black non cops kill more blacks than police do. White non-cops also kill more whites than police do. But it's not just about the raw numbers, it's about percentages. It's about things like findings from the DOJ showing that blacks were routinely targeted by the Ferguson police department. But ultimately, the points about whites being brutalized by the police and black on black crime are a smoke screen.

It's like if I set up a group to raise awareness about women killed by domestic violence and you show up and point out that more men die in violent acts than women and that heart disease is the leading cause of death in women. Okay, that's all true, but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't have started the organization or that it's okay for you to change the subject and demand that I explain why I'm not talking about the thing you want to discuss.

Either you think the original concern has merit, or you don't. If you do, there's nothing to gain from pointing out that there are other topics that have merit, other than stifling the original conversation. At the end of the day, everyone still needs to work to reduce police brutality, and black on black crime,white on white crime (whites are also killed by other whites at higher rates than they're killed by police - that's not something shocking or unique to blacks) and millions of other subjects.

The problem is not in questioning things; the problem is in making sure you're not using actual people's deaths as some kind of gotcha to distract from a valid conversation about a real problem. I don't know you, but I do know there are a lot of people who haven't bothered to spend any time learning about or joining into the efforts to combat and minimize crime in majority black communities. Genuine concern for what's going on in your country is great, no matter what your race is. Blithely ignoring issues until you can use them to try and shame people who are trying to work on a separate problem is not so good.
Quote:
But silly me, I'm not allowed to question this kind of stuff! I'm white! I'm just supposed to sit down, shut up, and be the apologetic "yes man" to the criminals who go around burning down cities, looting stores, and killing cops in the name of this movement.
Instructor
#19 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 2:40 AM
Blithely ignoring issues until you can use them to try and shame people who are trying to work on a separate problem is not so good.

"Trying to work on a separate problem..." by beating up random white people, endorsing the murder of innocent police officers, twisting statistics, and miscellaneous criminal activity?

That's terrorism, plain and simple.
Alchemist
#20 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 2:46 AM
We could play this game all day long, cherry picking the actions of some and ascribing them to an entire group in order to paint the whole organization as terrorists.
Theorist
#21 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 4:56 AM Last edited by Viktor86 : 16th Sep 2016 at 5:12 AM.
Violence and murder, it's just what you call cherry picking.....

Btw, isn't it pretty normal that police violence is a hot topic and more important than violence between civilians, let alone criminals, regardless the absolute numbers. With racial motives making it worse. Besides there are less police officers than regular citizens to be a perpetrator.

If you pretend to be modern, Western, democratic and stable society, the police force should be trustworthy for anyone, regardless who you are and who the officer is, and be pretty cool and rational. Something which isn't the situation in the USA, by far.

Even with the organisation not being perfect and the police still consisting of people, the things should be incidents and mistakes, not the structural problems, like it is now.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Test Subject
#22 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 6:45 AM Last edited by Jezzie : 16th Sep 2016 at 7:02 AM.
A lot of the time its our own fault genuine black grievances are not always taken seriously. We are our own enemy at times.

I live in Africa where there are 10 black people to every white person. An incident happened here recently in a upper class girls school, well, certainly a school that a huge majority our people could never afford to send their kids, so I guess we are talking about a privileged few. Our school system is fairly strict, all students have to wear a uniform and are expected to appear neat and tidy at all times, so therefore there are rules about hair among other things. A black pupil was asked to tidy her hair, so what? Black girls have been happily graduating from that school for decades without incident. Any way she decided to shout racism and the whole thing exploded into a national incident about how our school system's hair policy is prejudiced towards black students! Seriously? They created such a fuss it dominated our news for days!

Meanwhile at the same time, in a dirt poor school in another province, a black teacher was filming himself sexually abusing underage black female pupils. Did this get much coverage? No, not much at all. It seems even trivial vicitmisation by whites trumps every other evil. So yes, she got her 15mins of fame and has a story to tell about how she 'suffered' at the hands of the last remnants of white colonialism and their racist rules and how she got the schools to review their 'hugely important' hair policy! At the same time, elsewhere, our children are being molested and their lives destroyed by a black man and it seems we dont care too much.

So all she did was take attention away from true suffering! How can we be taken seriously when our priorities are this screwed up? Yes, black lives do matter, but not all black lives it seems.
Instructor
#23 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 12:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Viktor86

Btw, isn't it pretty normal that police violence is a hot topic and more important than violence between civilians, let alone criminals, regardless the absolute numbers. With racial motives making it worse. Besides there are less police officers than regular citizens to be a perpetrator.

If you pretend to be modern, Western, democratic and stable society, the police force should be trustworthy for anyone, regardless who you are and who the officer is, and be pretty cool and rational. Something which isn't the situation in the USA, by far.

Even with the organisation not being perfect and the police still consisting of people, the things should be incidents and mistakes, not the structural problems, like it is now.

However the vast majority of these cases of 'policy brutality' are not actually police brutality, but instead self-defense. The group them makes it out to be a racial problem.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 1:25 PM
That guy sounds ridiculous. You can always find a handful of people in any group, who hold views that don't make much sense. I wouldn't put much stock into his opinion, solely because he's black.

I remembered who it was, Morgan Freeman. I saw him in a Hallmark movie tonight. I like his movies and he seemed to know a lot on the interview. I'll leave you all to argue, my opinion is people should just learn to get along.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#25 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 2:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I remembered who it was, Morgan Freeman. I saw him in a Hallmark movie tonight. I like his movies and he seemed to know a lot on the interview. I'll leave you all to argue, my opinion is people should just learn to get along.
No matter who he is, if you accurately summarized his point, and he said people shouldn't worry about one form of violence because another form of violence is the real problem, his opinion is ridiculous. We should be working to eliminate all forms of injustice, although it's part of the human condition, so we'll never truly succeed.

Quote: Originally posted by Viktor86
No, what I call cherry picking is focusing on the bad acts of a few to discredit an entire group. You know who else I could pretend were terrorists using that method? Police. Black people. White people. The military. Nearly any group of adults.

Page 1 of 5